Is this Front Brake Line Normal? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 5:22 pm Thread Starter

Is this Front Brake Line Normal?

Is this normal for the front rubber brake Hose? This picture is the rubber line that comes down brake side of bike for front brakes. I'm getting front low pressure faults and going to replace brake lines with SPIEGLER PERFORMANCE lines. Also going to replace ABS pump on my 2002 K1200LT. Although no brake fluid leak I'm just wondering if the low pressure fault is being caused by the brake hose vs the ABS pump. Bike just had brake flush and fluid levels are correct, but fault still comes in when applying front brake hard or when rear brake is applied hard enough to kick in the front brake hard.

Thanks
Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brakelinea.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	30211  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 6:56 pm

Re: Is this Front Brake Line Normal?

I can't help you o n your questions, but I will tell you when you start to change the lines, be sure no one is around to hear you. That top front line is TOUGH.
post #3 of 8 Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 7:15 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by country-bum
I can't help you o n your questions, but I will tell you when you start to change the lines, be sure no one is around to hear you. That top front line is TOUGH.
I won't be screaming doing the work, but will be screaming when I hand over $770.00 to dealer for changing out brake lines and abs pump and that is for labor only!! Used pump $885 and lines another $234 make for a $1889 repair. New pump alone is $2500 plus another $400 install.
Joe

post #4 of 8 Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 9:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I doubt your issue is with the brake line as the only way it can cause low pressure is with a leak. The pressure sensor must be inside the ABS unit as there are no wires running to the front calipers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old May 26th, 2011, 10:13 pm

this last statrment is untrue. If you line is starting to balloon it will cuase wild preasure variations. I know this for a fact as mine is bout ready to pop and it does some weird things. Its a simple fix though replace the brake lines and flush the system. If the abs isnt leaking i doubt its your issue and its far cheaper to replace the lines yourself and then see if it fixes your issue instead of poping on a new or used abs pump as well.
post #6 of 8 Old May 27th, 2011, 10:40 am

I have a 99 k1200lt, I just had to replace all the brake lines, they just started falling apart, I think bmw should replace them but they say no, I am going to turn in a problem report to The DOT, I think certain safety components are supposed to have a 150,000 mile life, mine did not make it that far......the problem was at the same place as the first picture in this thread, the bend is too tight and the line starts to fail, along with the rubber part of the hose which crumbles......Kieth
post #7 of 8 Old May 27th, 2011, 11:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumbum
this last statrment is untrue. If you line is starting to balloon it will cuase wild preasure variations. I know this for a fact as mine is bout ready to pop and it does some weird things. Its a simple fix though replace the brake lines and flush the system. If the abs isnt leaking i doubt its your issue and its far cheaper to replace the lines yourself and then see if it fixes your issue instead of poping on a new or used abs pump as well.

You may want to consider spending some time investigating previous issues with the LT's ABS system before making such claims. The ABS unit does NOT have to leak in order to fail.

Dean knows what he's talking about ...

...and you're running around with a line that's "bout ready to pop?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #8 of 8 Old May 27th, 2011, 11:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieth
I have a 99 k1200lt, I just had to replace all the brake lines, they just started falling apart, I think bmw should replace them but they say no, I am going to turn in a problem report to The DOT, I think certain safety components are supposed to have a 150,000 mile life, mine did not make it that far......the problem was at the same place as the first picture in this thread, the bend is too tight and the line starts to fail, along with the rubber part of the hose which crumbles......Kieth
Brake lines are consumables and have a service life.

You expect something that is exposed to sunlight, ozone, rain, grit, high pressure and constant flexing to last 13 years?? (Your bike was manufactured in 2008 and the brake lines may indeed have been fabricated before then)

...and you don't want DOT - you want NHTSA - and they won't give your "complaint" any consideration, guaranteed.

In my opinion - and 240K miles of butt time - BMW's OEM LT brake lines are of excellent quality, and the LT's brakes are simply stunning considering they are asked to haul down an 800 lb. motorcycle.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in