Again... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 3:41 pm Thread Starter

Again...

This is not a gripe, a complaint, or a dis of BMW quality or their fine line of motorcycles... just another trip to Seattle with my final drive for the dealership service shop for an under-warranty repair. They said 2 years parts and labor, I have been in communication with them since my first concern at 10k mi, and now with 18k mi Sod's Law says this pup is going to crap out on me in the middle of nowhere again and a thousand miles away from home and will take a fortnight to deal with. My discussion with service today they said whatever is wrong from the FD rebuild they will make right under warranty.

I just get to have the fun of pulling it again and driving it over snowy mountain passes to the dealership (which is fun, really).

Time to talk to Curtis again... when I told my wife last time I want a FD from Vermont when we started to hear that hum again, she said "whatever for?". This time when I told her that the FD had to go back to the dealer for warranty repair and I was going to get a spare and have it rebuilt in Vermont, she said "that's fine".

2012 K1600GT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 3:52 pm

Re: Again...

Just remember, only 4% of them fail.

- Joe
post #3 of 11 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 4:06 pm

If the dealer is simply replacing the failed bearing, then reinstalling the original shims, as was likely done with mine, it'll fail about every 30K or so. I think Curtis has been very clear about measuring the pre-load and making damned sure that it's correct.

post #4 of 11 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 5:45 pm

I would ask the dealer if they intend to correct the excessive preload that obviously is causing the drive to fail...... If they say Huh? I'd just cut my losses and send it to Curtis and be done with it...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #5 of 11 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 6:57 pm Thread Starter

Yep... preload is going to be a prominent word in our discussion as I drop it off.

Below is what I found when I dropped the oil today... all that glitters is not gold, but a PITA.

You'd think BMW certified mechanics would have this preload business down?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0193.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	887.5 KB
ID:	30192   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0194.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	861.6 KB
ID:	30193   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0195.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	30194  

2012 K1600GT

post #6 of 11 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 8:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_yancey
Yep... preload is going to be a prominent word in our discussion as I drop it off.

Below is what I found when I dropped the oil today... all that glitters is not gold, but a PITA.

You'd think BMW certified mechanics would have this preload business down?
...see, the drive is getting rid of all that excess shimming all by itself, right?

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.
post #7 of 11 Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 6:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_yancey
.... I have been in communication with them since my first concern at 10k mi, and now with 18k mi.....
David,
You have only 18K since the rebuild an it is generating that amount of metal shown in your pics?!?

Tell us again how many miles before the first failure?
And now this after 18K more, am I understanding correctly?

I wonder sometimes if not only the preload isn't correct but if the bearing is being hammered into place causing damage.

Is that metal in the oil steel or aluminum? If it isn't all stuck to the magnet, I'm thinking aluminum which indicates something beyond a classic crownwheel bearing failure.
post #8 of 11 Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 9:57 am

Oh man! Those pictures make me so sad...... Sure glad you'll have it fixed for free before the snow is off the pass. And for free! Even if you send it to Charlie for correct repair you will at least wind up with a free bearing out of the deal.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #9 of 11 Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 1:36 pm Thread Starter

This final drive had 114,000 miles before the first failure. When it went down it it began as a low hum, no leakage or bearing play, then let go completely taking out the aluminum faceplate as well, which had to be replaced. Took it to the dealership which rebuilt/replaced parts but didn't flush it around the pinion area as the first oil change at 500 miles break-in indicated because I got "chunks" or leftover bearing out (my first clue things may not last in this drive). I changed the fluid again at 1000 miles with more debris and again at 3000 miles, still with debris. I called them concerned and they said a flush probably wasn't done but to call them again at 10,000 miles if I still had stuff coming out.

Needless to say I called them as I was getting light glitter, no sludge, took it in to them at 12,000 miles and they drained the oil saying nothing was there and refilled it telling me there was nothing to worry about. I put another 6,000 miles on it and my last ride before the snow hit (Oct 10) it began that dreaded pulsating hum that sped up with the tire rotation and I parked it for winter.

During Winter I did the fuel and air filter service and the snow left the roads this month so I took it out 3 times and the pulsating hum was still there, drained the fluid, took pics, called the dealership and am going to pull the FD this week to drive it over on Friday back to the dealership who has said they will take care of it since it is still under warranty and I have a record of concern. I am sure the leftover debris is a contributing factor to this premature failure, among possible other things, lazy on their part will cost them money and me a little time and money getting it there.

All the glitter in the pic was picked up with a plug magnet, but there was so much that I am sure the magnet couldn't collect it all, and the stuff in the bottom of the container was picked up with a magnet as well so I am fairly confident there is no faceplate or housing material in the oil (that I can see anyway).

I love this bike, it is set up exactly how I want it, and I won't abandon it over this but I am on the hunt for a quality spare FD now as well now that I've been bit twice. Any bike over 10 years old will cost you in maintenance to a fair degree and while it didn't leave me on the side of the road,my 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale which I had before my LT(s) was the same in that aspect... between the carbs, valves, forks, handling issues and electronics I had to repair/replace, my beemer has had only one weakness, and is loved a heck of a lot more. I'm keeping her, I just need some quality in the FD rework department.

2012 K1600GT

post #10 of 11 Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 6:32 pm Thread Starter

Red face Re: Again...

You know... it's just wrong that it's easier to pull the final drive than replace the air or fuel filter.

Just sayin'...

Maybe I should just be thankful for it.

2012 K1600GT

post #11 of 11 Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 10:43 pm Thread Starter

Update...

Got the call from the dealer, both the crownwheel bearing and the taper roller bearing showed pitting and premature grooving... and they do not know why, but it is all back together and ready for me to pick up this weekend.

No charge, covered under the 2 year parts & labor, and now again newly covered under the 2 year P&L.

I know it's because they didn't flush out all the old debris that was still hanging around the pinion and it contaminated the new bearings...

...I'll bet they did this time.

2012 K1600GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in