hi milage ? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 12:24 pm Thread Starter

hi milage ?

First, let me say how happy I am about the level of friendly cooperation I've seen in my short time in this forum! I belong to other forums for my other "hobbies" and they ALL include sniping and sarcasm, not here! A member is selling what looks like a very well maintained 06 LT . the only concern is the 70,000 miles on it. should I be careful? What's an average life expectancy ? thanks, Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 12:43 pm

Re: hi milage ?

One "can" get over 200K miles on the 'brick' motor (K1200LT). But I bet if you look just a bit and be patient, you'll find one with less than half those miles. Frankly, I wouldn't buy an LT with 70K on the clock. But that's just me. How handy are ya?

- Joe
post #3 of 18 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 1:03 pm

I wouldn't be the least bit concerned with 70K on the bike. The clutch may be in need of replacement (if it has not previously been replaced) with this number of miles.

post #4 of 18 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 2:18 pm

Very well maintained and the price $$ you pay is he key, always factor in repairs and mnt. that will be needed at that milage.
Best of luck!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 2:34 pm

"Frankly, I wouldn't buy an LT with 70K on the clock. But that's just me."

I haven't been around here all that long, but in the time that I have, I find this kind of statement interesting. We all seem to boast the fact that our BMWs can go phenomenal distances, yet quite a few wouldn't buy high mileage machines.

It seems pretty evident that there are some predictable problems to be encountered, and I think I've hit them all: shift linkage, clutch, seals, final drive. I'm close to 80,000 on mine now, and honestly looking forward to many more happy miles on it.

You don't know me, so I don't expect you or anyone else to believe me, but assume that I'm honest, and would tell you the truth. I would not hesitate to sell my 80,000 mile machine with complete confidence that the buyer would have years of enjoyment out of it. No, it's not for sale, but I'm just saying. I do oil analysis on it, and can see that the engine is wearing beautifully. I don't hesitate to load her up and head out. In fact I'm planning another 3+ thousand mile trip for a week this spring. Only thing I'll do before I leave is put new tires on and change the oil.

Anything used is a gamble, but I believe these bikes to be amazing machines and capable of high mileage dependable riding.

But like M13V2 says, "that's just me"
post #6 of 18 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 2:50 pm

I had a 2002 LT and put over 160,000 miles on it with very little trouble. Final Drive had to be replace one time. I would still be riding but it met an untimely death due to four wheels left of center.
post #7 of 18 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 2:50 pm

Hi Al and welcome to the forum. You can find as many opinions as there are members here. I personally would not be concerned with that mileage. As the other guys have said, these are known to be high mileage machines. If the price is right and you can do a lot of your own wrenching, it would be worth a close look. There will be some maint. issues that will have to be dealt with, but nothing earth shaking.

Good luck with your decision and let us hear from you.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #8 of 18 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 3:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

My 2 cents. I have 89K on my 05 LT and the only issue was to replace shocks. Right now I'm debating whether or not to buy the new 1600GTL. I love my current bike but have the urge to get a new one. I know if I keep my current bike at some point Iím going to need to spend a few dollars to keep her going. BTW Ė I could replace clutch, transmission, rear drive, have valve job, and still be a lot better financially then I would if I buy a new GT/L. As said earlier, mileage, price, condition and how well it has been maintained are all factors. Most mechanics believe bikes that are ridden often have far less problems then ones that are taken out for an occasional ride.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory Ė Growing Up is Optional
post #9 of 18 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 5:16 pm

Smile Re: hi milage ?

Just beware of the maint that was done. But I have 197k on mine and if I would stop wearing out parts I have had only very minor issues. At 70k she just got broke in. I have done all the required maint so i know what she has been thru.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #10 of 18 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 7:40 pm

I would buy a 70K LT if the condition, maintenance and price were right.

The flying brick motors are very durable -- in fact, the comment I've often heard is that the engine will still be running as it is dragged off to the wreckers yard because all of the rest of the bike has finally disintegrated around it.

And yes, I put my money were my mouth is -- three months ago I picked up a K100RT to ride over the winter until my K16GTL gets here -- with 162K on it. Started it yesterday to ride into work, and she started/ran like a K100 with 10K on the clock would.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #11 of 18 Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 9:07 am

70K is not so many miles on the LT... If and IF is a big word here..
It's never had a final drive ? Then it's probably never going to need one..
If it's never had a clutch ? Then you might be surprised on how much further you can go..
If you look at the statistics on final drive failure. Very few fail after abuot 60K...So I would consider that the end of break-in...

These things were designed to last a long time.. At least 250K.....With good German maintenance and fixing things as they need fixing, An Lt is no different from a properly maintained aircraft.. If kept up to date, They will last indefinately....

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #12 of 18 Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 10:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
An Lt is no different from a properly maintained aircraft.. If kept up to date, They will last indefinately....
And ... IF money is no object. I mean really John ... "indefinitely" is a fairly ridiculous word to use. I haven't heard of any LTs with 500K miles on them ... maybe not even 300K. Let alone "indefinitely".

Just sayin...

- Joe
post #13 of 18 Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 10:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
And ... IF money is no object. I mean really John ... "indefinitely" is a fairly ridiculous word to use. I haven't heard of any LTs with 500K miles on them ... maybe not even 300K. Let alone "indefinitely".

Just sayin...

try this one
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=451369
Just sayin...

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #14 of 18 Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 12:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas

He didn't reach 1.5 million miles on just ONE BMW. That's the mileage award given for riding miles on several BMWs. More info here And for the record, not one single mention of a K1200LT.

- Joe
post #15 of 18 Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 12:50 pm

Quote:

He didn't reach 1.5 million miles on just ONE BMW. That's the mileage award given for riding miles on several BMWs. More info here And for the record, not one single mention of a K1200LT.
K1200LT? It was K1100LT, you just said "LT" (yes he cheated and used 2 K11LTs)

Here are some more hi miles on bmw, don't know which bikes.
http://www.mortonsbmw.com/highmilers.html

I wonder if they use multiple bikes they just get tired of one bike are they break?

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio

Last edited by mwnahas; Jan 22nd, 2011 at 1:11 pm.
post #16 of 18 Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 1:29 pm

Maybe he's just saying why buy one with 70k when you can find one with 10k for close to the same money. If the price is right 70k would not scare me at all on such a good bike as the LT.
post #17 of 18 Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 2:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
(yes he cheated and used 2 K11LTs)
You must've missed the part that he used to ride a GS as well. And who knows how many other BMWs it took to make it to 1.5 million miles. The award is definitely amazing. But I attribute his success to the rider, and not the bike(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwriderm
Maybe he's just saying why buy one with 70k when you can find one with 10k for close to the same money.
Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!!!

- Joe
post #18 of 18 Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 2:58 pm

Quote:
The award is definitely amazing. But I attribute his success to the rider, and not the bike(s).

:
absolutely (well almost absolutely)

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in