New to the community - a few questions on a 2003 LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 7:42 pm Thread Starter

New to the community - a few questions on a 2003 LT

I'm seriously looking at a 2003 LT with 12K on the clock from a dealer. Since it is hard core winter no test ride. I talked with the previous owner and asked about the bike; he stated the following: Warranty work done on an anti-freeze leak that resulted in seals and new hoses; warranty work on the rear brake for eating brake pads; needing to roll the bike a little back and forth to get into first gear and finally he overfilled the oil resulting in oil getting in the breather. Smoked alot

Questions: With this few miles should I consider an extended warranty because of the issues? (I have owned numerous bikes and have never had an extended warranty. 3/36K is $1000) Any concern on engine damage because of the overfill? Or the other issues mentioned.

I have ridden bike for about 40 years and this is my first BMW; I have owned several GL1800 but am looking for a different ride and feel. I have logged some miles on a friends RT' and certianly do like the handling and feel to BMW's

Any comments and insight would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 6:20 am

Re: New to the community - a few questions on a 2003 LT

Claus,
any idea on how much over full the engine was on oil? 1 quart, 1 gallon,etc

With the bike sitting stationary it is not unusual to have to roll them a little bit to get them to shift into first gear. Did the shfter feel easy and smooth or was it stiff and hard to move? These bikes have some ball joints in the linkage that require periodic greasing. Not a hard job just takes a little time.

Extended warranty: Like you, I have never considered having one but to each their own. What does the warranty cover? Will it cover clutch failing because a seal leaked, or is this considered a wear item no matter the cause? Will it cover the ABS unit or is that considered a wear item. These are just two examples of some potentially costly repairs.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #3 of 9 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 7:29 am

Hi Claus and welcome aboard, you've come to the rite place for information. Extended warranty, that is a good question and a hard decision. Roy pretty much covered the questions about that, see what you will get for your 1 grand? Are you going to do your own wrenching/servicing? The labor costs at a dealer are the biggest expense although there are some very expensive parts on the LT. Having read a lot on this forum in the files and Hall of Wisdom, I found a lot of maint. information. I love everything about my LT and my bride loves to ride pillion. My RT was great for a long time but was not comfortable for me anymore and she wouldn't ride on it with me.

As for the oil over fill, IMHO, there should not be a problem, the excess will go in the air box and it is a mess to clean out, but it should not cause an engine problem. The oil level sight glass is a PITA to see (for me any way), but with a little practice you can figure it out and keep from overfilling.

Roy mentioned lubing the ball joints on the shifter, that is important. I find sometimes mine won't engage 1st, I just let out the clutch and then try again, always works.

Good luck on your decision and go for that TEST RIDE in your winter wonderland

Let us know what you decide to do.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

post #4 of 9 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 10:17 am

My LT is in the shop right now getting $800-1500 worth of repair. Two months ago I declined the $1100 service contract that would have covered this. Usually I don't see a big benefit to those, but I have to say, I've received more than I paid on my service contract for my truck, and it would have been used on the BMW already.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #5 of 9 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 7:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear
Claus,
any idea on how much over full the engine was on oil? 1 quart, 1 gallon,etc

With the bike sitting stationary it is not unusual to have to roll them a little bit to get them to shift into first gear. Did the shfter feel easy and smooth or was it stiff and hard to move? These bikes have some ball joints in the linkage that require periodic greasing. Not a hard job just takes a little time.

Extended warranty: Like you, I have never considered having one but to each their own. What does the warranty cover? Will it cover clutch failing because a seal leaked, or is this considered a wear item no matter the cause? Will it cover the ABS unit or is that considered a wear item. These are just two examples of some potentially costly repairs.

Roy
Roy

I don't have a good gauge how much he put in; but I do know that he brought to the dealer and they stated that it would not harm the engine. (He then traded for an R/T)

Thank you for the other information regarding first gear issue; as it relates to the warranty it will need to cover the clutch; the rear drive assembly; and ABS.

Mark
post #6 of 9 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 8:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatzo
Hi Claus and welcome aboard, you've come to the rite place for information. Extended warranty, that is a good question and a hard decision. Roy pretty much covered the questions about that, see what you will get for your 1 grand? Are you going to do your own wrenching/servicing? The labor costs at a dealer are the biggest expense although there are some very expensive parts on the LT. Having read a lot on this forum in the files and Hall of Wisdom, I found a lot of maint. information. I love everything about my LT and my bride loves to ride pillion. My RT was great for a long time but was not comfortable for me anymore and she wouldn't ride on it with me.

As for the oil over fill, IMHO, there should not be a problem, the excess will go in the air box and it is a mess to clean out, but it should not cause an engine problem. The oil level sight glass is a PITA to see (for me any way), but with a little practice you can figure it out and keep from overfilling.

Roy mentioned lubing the ball joints on the shifter, that is important. I find sometimes mine won't engage 1st, I just let out the clutch and then try again, always works.

Good luck on your decision and go for that TEST RIDE in your winter wonderland

Let us know what you decide to do.
Bill

Thank you for your response and help; as it relates to the warranty it will need to cover the major items or I will pass. I will so some wrenching; mostly the primary service items but would not tie into the bigger projects.

I have spent a lot of time going thru the Forum and it certainly is a wealth of information. Like your wife mine loves to ride but really fell in love with the Goldwing 1800 back seat; from what I have read she may be in for a very pleasant surprise.

I'm comfortable in my ability to use the wisdom of Forum and its members to help with questions. Good info on the ball joints/shifter.

As it relates to the test ride this morning it was 20 below zero with a 15MPH wind, creating a very nasty day. There has been a lot of cold weather riding in my past but.....

I will keep you posted on my decision.

Again thanks for the response and help it is greatly appreciated.

Mark
post #7 of 9 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 8:08 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez
My LT is in the shop right now getting $800-1500 worth of repair. Two months ago I declined the $1100 service contract that would have covered this. Usually I don't see a big benefit to those, but I have to say, I've received more than I paid on my service contract for my truck, and it would have been used on the BMW already.
Carlos

Thank you for your input on the extended warranty; as stated in my response to Bill it will need to cover the major items.

Your input is appreciated.
post #8 of 9 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 9:06 pm

You would have to put a LOT of additional oil into the LT engine to cause a problem.

The bottom of the crankshaft throws is several inches above the sight glass oil level. The biggest problem with too much oil is the crankshaft spinning in it causing severe aeration in the oil. You would have to but nearly double the oil into the LT to cause that.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 9 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 9:47 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
You would have to put a LOT of additional oil into the LT engine to cause a problem.

The bottom of the crankshaft throws is several inches above the sight glass oil level. The biggest problem with too much oil is the crankshaft spinning in it causing severe aeration in the oil. You would have to but nearly double the oil into the LT to cause that.
Thanks for the input David excellent information.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in