Clutch Fluid Bleeding Problem - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 3:33 pm Thread Starter

Clutch Fluid Bleeding Problem

In 2008, I bought a 2000 K1200LT. Thanks to Curve Cowboy Reunion, I learned how to do the 12/24K yearly maintenance. I overlooked, a senior moment, bleeding my clutch in the past. Again, all the maintenance was done and everything went smoothly. After locating the clutch bleeding tube on the right side, I found the grub screw, in its fitting or what BMW refers to as the "Ventilation Screw", had been damaged. I can't get the grub screw out!!! Can I remove the ventilation screw, if so, how? Any recommendations? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 4:39 pm

Re: Clutch Fluid Bleeding Problem

I just encountered this yesterday trying to bleed the clutch on my 2005LT. I found there was a 1/8 npt pipe plug in the end (remove with a 3/16 hex key) which I removed initially but still couldn't get it to bleed out at all. I then found that there is a tiny ball check under that plug which would only allow me to bleed by forcing the ball off the seat with a small screwdriver or punch etc. At that point it takes someone else to operate the clutch handle.

A screwy arrangement. The check valve etc is Loctited to the hose end. It isn't necessary to disassemble that part. wonder what BMW was thinking?

Is this what you have?
post #3 of 12 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 4:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

A standard bleed valve will replace that grub screw and depress the check ball for bleeding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 5:27 pm

I removed the whole thing (fitting with ball check) And installed the speed bleeder in its place. Did the same on the right front caliper.

I understand that BMW used that fitting at the factory to fill the circuit with DOT 4.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #5 of 12 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 6:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgejoe
After locating the clutch bleeding tube on the right side, I found the grub screw, in its fitting or what BMW refers to as the "Ventilation Screw", had been damaged. I can't get the grub screw out!!! Can I remove the ventilation screw, if so, how? Any recommendations? Thanks.
Has the hex shape of the grub screw been rounded out? You might be able to get it out with an easy out. I'm not sure if they're made to that size, but worth a look. You might be able to remove the whole check valve assembly, but you'd need a bleeder to install in it's place.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #6 of 12 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 6:58 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I am about to try the easy out next. It is my intent to put a speed bleeder in which I have. But, don't you put the speed bleeder in where the grub screw is removed? Or do you remove something more to get the speed bleeder in? Thanks.
post #7 of 12 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 7:04 pm

the bleeder screws in where grub screw was
post #8 of 12 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 7:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgejoe
Thanks for the suggestions. I am about to try the easy out next. It is my intent to put a speed bleeder in which I have. But, don't you put the speed bleeder in where the grub screw is removed? Or do you remove something more to get the speed bleeder in? Thanks.
Don't bother with the easy out since you have a speed bleeder to install. Take 2 open end wrenches and remove the whole check valve assy. The piece with the grub screw in it. Clean out the lock tite and install the speed bleeder and you are done. (except for bleeding of course).

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #9 of 12 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 7:51 pm Thread Starter

Thanks very much Boatzo. Went out to the garage and completed the task. I didn't want to put to much pressure on the fitting and damage anything more. Didn't realize that it was on with locktite. Alittle extra pressure and it came off. Thanks again.
post #10 of 12 Old Jun 11th, 2011, 3:18 pm

Please clarify......for us less mechanically inclined nugs such as me!

In reference to the picture below, here are my questions:
1. Can the bleeder replace the grub screw (green line) and remain in that spot or do you have to take it out and put the grub back in?
2. Is the $40 vent screw something that can come off and be replaced by the regular (vs. speedbleeder) - (orange line)? If so…..”lefty loosey?” I don’t want to strip or break it at $40 a pop or have to replace the $103 line!
3. Can the regular bleeder remain in place since it doesn’t have a backflow prevention valve?

Thanks for any assistance!
Kenny

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

post #11 of 12 Old Jun 11th, 2011, 3:23 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You can go either way. But I would not leave the bleeder in the adapter. The fill adapter (vent screw) is installed with loctite on the hose so a judicious use of heat is in order if you are going to remove it. If you do remove it then you just tighten the bleeder when you are done and leave it in the line.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #12 of 12 Old Jun 11th, 2011, 4:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
You can go either way. But I would not leave the bleeder in the adapter. The fill adapter (vent screw) is installed with loctite on the hose so a judicious use of heat is in order if you are going to remove it. If you do remove it then you just tighten the bleeder when you are done and leave it in the line.
Thank you John!

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in