prospective bmw buyer questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 3:30 pm Thread Starter

prospective bmw buyer questions

Hello, all. This is my first post to this site after briefly lurking, while I gather info toward buying a LT or GS. I currently ride a harley however after an hour I cant wait to get off, and my girlfriend hates it. Plus Im tired of all the harley crap. Im 53 and need comfort and handling and some speed(torque too). Im looking at Goldwings as well. Ive sat on the K1200 GT, RT, LT most ergos fit but my legs are tucked under too much.(same problem with the 'wing) The custom seat option can move me back enough I think Im only 6' 1". Are there any benchmark years where these got important changes that Id miss like ABS,traction control etc ? Anything else I need to know? I hope some one here can convince me to get a K over a goldwing, becouse they have no style. Sorry for rambling. Thanks AL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 4:14 pm

Re: prospective bmw buyer questions

I left a Harley Road King for an 09 LT last month. The 300 mile trip home convinced me to leave harley for good. The next week I was selling all my Harley extras. The LT is really a smooth ride and the heated seat and grips made the trip really comfortable at 38 degrees.
post #3 of 21 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 4:18 pm

Congrats AL... First post and you've opened up a whole fistful of heresay... oh, there's some facts that'll be thrown in...

Welcome to the asylum...

Torque? As in Harley type low end? Nope... These things need higher R's... Once you understand that, it get's a whole lot more interesting.

Comfort? That's a "eye of the beholder" type of thing. Some guys ride thousands of miles with no changes to the saddle. Others exhibit the same thing you had on the Harley. "One hour and get me the hell off..." Custom seat... Only way to go... AND DO NOT FORGET THE TAIL GUNNERS SEAT!

All years are good... 2005 and up might be slightly better IMHO. More HP... powered center stand, heated clothing outlets all over the place... In my choice decision, the '06 LT was the better bike for what I wanted.

One immutable fact... These things will travel all over the place and you and your missus will do it in style and comfort... But they ride like sport bikes. Don't be afraid to push the envelope as you get to know the bike... especially when you get in the twisties...

One last thing... If you lean towards an LT, she's a heavy beotch... Nothing a guy 6'1" can't handle... But unlike the lightweight cruisers that ply the tarmac, a little slow speed practice will help... Then practice it all again with your tail gunner aboard...

If you get a LT / GT / RT (whatever...), takes pics and spend a couple of weeks reading the good info that's buried in these posts...

Not convinced??? Take a test drive... Make it longer than a half an hour...

nuff said...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by UncleMark; Jan 20th, 2011 at 4:22 pm. Reason: misspelling...

post #4 of 21 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 4:25 pm

The trouble with this site is you won't get an un-biased opinion. That's a good thing.
I have an '05, am 6'-0" and have no issues with slow speed maneuvering. I see Wings
around, N. FL. and, even though they are a little lighter, they look like Conestoga Wagons compared to the LT with it's handsome styling.

J-Pegs, about $300.00+/- will solve any leg position issues. I'm saving my pennies to buy a set.

The biggest knock on the LT is slow speed handling and it's top heavy nature. Many hear will give advice on avoiding those pitfalls (no pun intended). Practice, practice, practice is key. Any dope can ride in a straight line. Find an area free of cars and marbles and practice slow speed U-turns and maneuvers. Several books and CD's,( Ride Like a Pro by Jerry Motorman Palamino, Davig Hough's Proficient Motorcycling and Lee Parks Total Control) give great pointers.

Speed is no problem. All day cruising at 75-90 not an issue. Quiet and confortable for you and your passenger. ABS works GREAT!

My riding buddied love their GS's, though they never leave asphalt, I still prefer my light truck.

Good luck
post #5 of 21 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 4:42 pm Thread Starter

I do practice a good amount. Ive got a few of motorman's dvd's. I just want to be able to get up to 80 mph in a reasonable amount of time, and handle twisties which i loooove doing.
all that plus 300-400 mile comfort for the woman. is that too much to ask? should I be thinking of the GT, RT more ? Thanks
Al
post #6 of 21 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 5:35 pm

My wife didn't like the passenger seat on the Wing when we sat on one at a dealer. "My legs are spread too wide." is what she kept saying. And this from a what we call a full sized woman. We couldn't find a dealer to let us test ride a GW so they were checked off the list.

I didn't mind the shake of the HD when we were stopped. She hated it. She was comfortable though.

Then came the K1200LT. I went in prepared about the low speed handling. When I finally figured out about the high revving it was amazing! Can you say Deal's Gap in 2nd gear? Comfort? The previous owner had already put a Meyer driver's seat on and left the rear stocker on (a solo rider). On our first trip which was from Atlanta to Daytona Beach I mentioned stopping for lunch while somewhere on I-10 and heard over the headset "Why? I'm not tired." When we make the ride to Florida to see family we only stop for food, gas and restrooms now. How's that describe the comfort? The ABS, heated seats & grips are a big bonus when it's cold too. The adjustable windshield is very nice too, but fully up it's like a sail.

I have no problem getting the big girl up on my manual center stand.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #7 of 21 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 5:37 pm

Go for the LT Al, you won't regret it. I went from an RT after many years and love my LT. My bride loves it too, she wouldn't ride pillion on the RT. I tried Wings, wanting a more comfortable bike and settled with the RT. A good choice I am sure.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #8 of 21 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 5:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Al,

Welcome. Legs tucked under too much? There's a peg lowering mod you can make that makes all the difference in the world to the knees. The Suburban lowering kit and Mic-o-pegs go a long way in giving options to where the legs can be on a ride.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #9 of 21 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 5:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrom999
I do practice a good amount. Ive got a few of motorman's dvd's. I just want to be able to get up to 80 mph in a reasonable amount of time, and handle twisties which i loooove doing.
all that plus 300-400 mile comfort for the woman. is that too much to ask? should I be thinking of the GT, RT more ? Thanks
Al
LT all the way, as far as I'm concerned. My new-to-me '05 has the factory seat. Another NC member and I rode to FL for a Ride-to-Eat near Lake Wales. 1378 miles over 3 days, most of that getting to FL on Fri. and home on Sun. Except for being slightly chilly, no complaints. And you can get to 80. It doesn't take long to get there and the LT is perfectly content to stay there as long as you like.

Good luck whatever you go with.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #10 of 21 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 6:11 pm

I get what you are saying about the placement of your feet and legs...Harley is all about a cruiser positioning with your feet out in front of you...But the ergos for the LT are completely different, and if you give in to the performance side, ride the LT for a few hundred miles, you will find the ergonomics will actually prove to be comfortable, and if you throw in some Jpegs, you are set. If you are riding 2 up, you cannot beat the LT. I also had an 1800 GW, and it is a big comfy boat, but kind of boring. The LT is a bike that will keep you coming back for more!!

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #11 of 21 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 5:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualemt
I get what you are saying about the placement of your feet and legs...Harley is all about a cruiser positioning with your feet out in front of you...But the ergos for the LT are completely different, and if you give in to the performance side, ride the LT for a few hundred miles, you will find the ergonomics will actually prove to be comfortable, and if you throw in some Jpegs, you are set. If you are riding 2 up, you cannot beat the LT. I also had an 1800 GW, and it is a big comfy boat, but kind of boring. The LT is a bike that will keep you coming back for more!!

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #12 of 21 Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 9:01 am

Thumbs up Re: prospective bmw buyer questions

hi i bought my 02 this summer i love it i always rode sport bikes (bobst2 ducati st2 sport toruer) you will be amazed how quick & nimble the lt is. if you bring up the revs 5-6000
it will very much suprise you. never seen any pure touring bike except the ducati perform like it.
i am 6 2 try the seat in the upper postion it made the legs feel better

our first ride was from reno nevada to santa cruze california almost 300 miles in one shot only stop was for a pee passenger & myself arrived refreshed and feeling fine
good luck with your decision
post #13 of 21 Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 9:24 am

I'm 6'1" 190 lbs. Probably same as you. The legs tucked up under takes a little getting used to... But you'll find you have WAY better control of the bike. Get a lowering kit for the pegs and it'll be better.. Custom seat is the way to go if you're going to travel long distances on the bike..

Now, Here is how you get an LT. .. Let the wife sit on it....That's all it takes...

Ask anybody here..

My wife climbed up on it and immediately said, "Ooh Honey, We need to get one of these...

I didn't have to ask, beg, plead, kiss asterisk, Or anything...SHE wanted the bike..

Ask anybody here..
Even though we don't have it anymore..She got her own bike and I went to an RT..and a CLC, and a GS....I'm a Ho...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #14 of 21 Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 9:41 am

And..... it will do it in 2nd gear!

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee510
LT all the way, as far as I'm concerned. My new-to-me '05 has the factory seat. Another NC member and I rode to FL for a Ride-to-Eat near Lake Wales. 1378 miles over 3 days, most of that getting to FL on Fri. and home on Sun. Except for being slightly chilly, no complaints. And you can get to 80. It doesn't take long to get there and the LT is perfectly content to stay there as long as you like.

Good luck whatever you go with.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #15 of 21 Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 10:07 am

" Ask anybody here..
Even though we don't have it anymore..She got her own bike and I went to an RT..and a CLC, and a GS....I'm a Ho...

John "

Gee, John, tell us what you had to do to get her to go along with all those other bikes in the stable?

And to go along with your original statement, "ask anybody here" , yes we had the same experience. She climbed on Gold Wings and a Can Am and loves the LT. I gotta say, the passenger seat on the LT is one thing BMW really did right. Too bad that didn't do better on the rider's seat

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)
post #16 of 21 Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 11:35 am

Last year I went from my Ultra Classic SE to and 09 LT. I only wish I hadn't wasted the money on the Ultra Classic. On the freeway or in the hills the LT is much more fun for me. The LT wants to handle turn to turn instead of fighting to turn. From 4000 RPM up the bike takes off. My wife likes the passenger seat so it's proven to be the right decision for us.

09 K-1200LT
formerly: HD Ultra Classic, HD Dyna Sport
and a long time ago: Ossa 250, Honda 350, Honda 305, Honda 160
post #17 of 21 Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 6:42 pm

Thumbs up Re: prospective bmw buyer questions

I have a 34" inseam. I put the peg lowering kit on and have plenty of room now. The pegs do scrape a lot easier now though.
My wife and I went to the bike show and sat on every bike there. The LT was the one she chose. Arm rests and floorboards complete the comfort package.

2003 LTE ( Big Silver Cow)
2000 Buell S3T (Little Black Beauty)
198? Yamaha 650 (Sold )
1974 Honda CB 750 (wish I still had it!)
1972 Honda CB350 (Crashed)
197? Honda 50 Mini Bike (Long Gone)
post #18 of 21 Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 10:24 pm

Welcome Al. I traded a 2000 H-D police Electra Glide for my first BMW. The seat on the H-D didn't give my wife proper thigh support causing her hip pain. I bought a used (351 miles on it) '02 K1200LTC on Feb. 28, 2004. That May we went to Pensacola, FL. When we came home we left Pensacola at 7:04 am and arrived home in Calumet City, IL at 11:03pm. 2 1/2 hours was spent eating and getting gas. The last time we stopped at a gas station was to put rain gear on. We are short but heavy. My vote is for the LT.

Jeff Johnson
2009 Forest green Invacare powerchair
2007 Blue/dark lowers R1200RT(smacked,fixed,sold)
2005 Dark Gray LT (traded)
2002 Silver LTC (deceased 07-05-2005 by SUV)
2000 H-D FLHTP-I Cop Bike (traded for'02 LTC)
1982 H-D XLH (sold in 2002 for cop bike)
1980 H-D Low Rider (stolen by low-lifes)
1977 Triumph Tiger (sold)
1973 Honda CB450 (sold)
post #19 of 21 Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 11:21 am

You won't regret buying a BMW. As to which one, that depends on what the bulk of your riding will be. They are all comfortable and capable of all day riding (and then some). I am one of the lucky ones who have multiple bikes so I can chose the model that is best for the days ride. The LT can't be beat for two up and long distance. The level of comfort is almost car like but don't think that means it's a pig in the twisties, I frequently amaze my friends on smaller bikes. The GS is just plain fun, you completely forget it's a large, heavy bike. Nothing like exploring the truly back roads. The RT falls somewhere in between. Large and comfy but lighter and a tad more sporty than the LT. Good luck on your hunt for the right bike.
post #20 of 21 Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 6:22 pm

Quote:
I hope some one here can convince me to get a K over a goldwing, becouse they have no style.
Yeah, that bothered me too. Same with the wife. She hates the look of the Wing, and while I put usability over looks, after riding the Wing and the LT, it was easy to choose the LT. It also clearly out-performs the Wing.

Unfortunately my LT is in for a major clutch job right now. Would I still choose the LT over the Wing? Sure. I may have to pay for a repair, but the Wing will always stay mediocre and ugly.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #21 of 21 Old Jan 24th, 2011, 7:14 am

When we looked at Wings, the guy took us to the back to see a used one. The shop was crammed full of bikes waiting to be serviced/repaired and quite a few wings in various states of disassembly I didn't like the looks of that aspect at all.

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in