Broken Center Stand - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 2:08 pm Thread Starter

Broken Center Stand

I had a very near catastrophe today. I had just completed a bunch of preventive maint. tasks on the LT including weep hole. Got everything buttoned up and went for a test ride, everything worked great. Got home and backed into my space in the garage, put down the side stand and dismounted. Then I proceeded to put her up on the CENTER STAND and all hell broke loose. She tipped over to the right and leaned against the garage wall knocking the mirror off. WAH HOPPENED???? I pulled her back up and on to the side stand and then I saw the broken center stand. I never imagined that would happen, I was always worried about the side stand breaking. I feel so blessed that it happened the way it did. Had it happened on the lift table there would have been serious damage. Had it happened on the road, it could have been a disaster. I feel like I have a guardian angle watching over me.

Now what to do? I am back on the lift. Do I try to get it welded or do I replace it (center stand)? I am inclined to look on ebay and the bone yard for a replacement. BTW, there seems to be a fair amount of side play in the bearings, so maybe there is more that needs to be replaced? Any suggestions, as always, will be appreciated.

Anybody have a good suggestion on how to get the spring off (easily) ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010001.JPG
Views:	382
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	30184   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010002.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	30185   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010003.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	30186   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010004.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	30187  

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 2:18 pm

Re: Broken Center Stand

I don't think it's all that common, but...I've read of enough center stands breaking that I keep an eye on mine. And if it should break, I'll just weld it up, probably adding just a little more meat to them bones.
I notice too that when I put my bike on the center stand that there's quite a bit of side to side motion, which really has to be putting stress on that piece.
post #3 of 19 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 2:19 pm

Take a look at this post, you'll see how it has been done.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38810

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 2:20 pm

I'm not a welder but it looks like an easy weld. It looks like you also need to replace or beef up the pads. The spring can be removed by stretching it using the stand, then inserting coins into the open coils. The tough part is removing the retaining bolt on the center stand. It is secured using red loctitie and won't easily give up. You may have to heat it.

Bob
2003 K1200LT Black
Rockaway, NJ
post #5 of 19 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 8:54 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys. Phil, that link was real good info, the pot cooking on the gas burner looked great too

Bob, I had the same idea about the pads as I will have the thing off. I was thinking of adding 1/4 " to get the bike a little higher, but I wonder if that will make it more difficult to get it up on the center stand? What do Y-all think?

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)
post #6 of 19 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 6:09 pm
Enjoy The Ride

This is how I beefed mine up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bike teardown 001.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	816.0 KB
ID:	30190   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike teardown 002.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	818.5 KB
ID:	30191  

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #7 of 19 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 7:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

You can remove the spring by extending the leg and then placing washers in between the coils. Put the leg back up and you'll have enough slack to either remove the spring or get a good heavy piece of wire on it which you then run back to the back of the link bar, anchor it, and give it a twist with some pliers which will pull the spring out enough to slip it off. Just be careful in case the wire fails while you're pulling on it. Maybe someone else has a better way to do it.

post #8 of 19 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 7:32 pm

Weird timing?
My `03 LT centerstand broke just last week!
But the cross member on mine stayed intact, the cantileverd arm peeled away upward, instead, just below that welded x-member joint.

After pricing a new one, I decided that I will be welding it myself with some additional gussets here and there.

Chris

edit: judging from the rust at the break, it looks like I could have avoided my 2nd drop ever, with an inspection!
I just noticed I am missing an exhaust heat shield screw in this photo too!

Chris Colenso
2003 K1200LT-C
2007 KTM 525 EXC
2013 KTM 500 EXC

Last edited by knlkern; Jan 21st, 2011 at 8:09 pm.
post #9 of 19 Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 7:19 am

with that crack I would replace with a used one and re-enforce it as in the post above. You could place an iron tube inside but that crack is a stress crack.
It looks like the cause may be from bottoming out while heavy leaning in turns...

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #10 of 19 Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 7:34 am Thread Starter

Dave, I like the top & bottom gussets, thanks for the photos. (BTW, we used to live in Concord, know right where you are).

Dean, I used pennies, but I couldn't get the stand down far enough to open the coils up much. Still had to use vice grips to pull the spring off. Now to reinstall , I'll try your idea on the wire.

Chris, That break really looks nasty, hope you can repair it. Was there any damage done?

After looking at my center stand (photos below) it is really ground down . John (Motorman) if you are reading this, you must have been making lots of sparks I have decided to replace the stand instead of welding it. I found one on Ebay and ordered it. I will then take it to a local machine shop and have them do the gusset thing. I don't have a welder. In my junk drawer, I found 2 zerk fittings left over from my tractor. I am going to drill & tap the stand while it is off and install the zerks to lube the pivots in the future. I got new "O" rings as well.

Thanks to all for all the input. To all the rest, if you read this, INSPECT YOUR CENTER STANDS, it could save you grief later
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010001.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	30196   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010002.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	30197   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010003.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	30198  

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)
post #11 of 19 Old Jan 27th, 2011, 8:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatzo
Chris, That break really looks nasty, hope you can repair it. Was there any damage done?

Thanks to all for all the input. To all the rest, if you read this, INSPECT YOUR CENTER STANDS, it could save you grief later
I think it can be repaired and reinforced.
As for the drop, luckily there was no damage this time!

My first drop last year resulted in a cracked right side chromed plastic wing trim thingy and at $140 for a new one I decided it was to be called a character crack!

I have to believe the stresses resulting from getting it up on the center stand caused this more so than bottoming out on it, as I perched it on the center stand way more often than I bottomed out on it.

Chris Colenso
2003 K1200LT-C
2007 KTM 525 EXC
2013 KTM 500 EXC
post #12 of 19 Old May 23rd, 2011, 7:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe
with that crack I would replace with a used one and re-enforce it as in the post above. You could place an iron tube inside but that crack is a stress crack.
It looks like the cause may be from bottoming out while heavy leaning in turns...
SmokinJoe, I took your advise and bought a used eBay centerstand and then welded these small 1/4" thick gusset tabs in the questionable areas, just got it buttoned up today, and maybe now she'll quit smoking out the exhaust when I start it up!
Man, I really missed my center stand!

Oh, the easy way to get the spring off is to remove both cap screws, remove the circlip from the left side bushing, wriggle out the left bushing. The right side bushing will remain in, then tilt the stand to release the spring tension. Reverse and Repeat for easy installation.

Chris Colenso
2003 K1200LT-C
2007 KTM 525 EXC
2013 KTM 500 EXC

Last edited by knlkern; May 23rd, 2011 at 8:09 pm.
post #13 of 19 Old May 23rd, 2011, 10:16 pm

Looks like yours broke right were mine did two years ago. Replacement was in the hundreds and welding was $40 I think.

Guess what I did LOL

Good Luck making your decision

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatzo
I had a very near catastrophe today. I had just completed a bunch of preventive maint. tasks on the LT including weep hole. Got everything buttoned up and went for a test ride, everything worked great. Got home and backed into my space in the garage, put down the side stand and dismounted. Then I proceeded to put her up on the CENTER STAND and all hell broke loose. She tipped over to the right and leaned against the garage wall knocking the mirror off. WAH HOPPENED???? I pulled her back up and on to the side stand and then I saw the broken center stand. I never imagined that would happen, I was always worried about the side stand breaking. I feel so blessed that it happened the way it did. Had it happened on the lift table there would have been serious damage. Had it happened on the road, it could have been a disaster. I feel like I have a guardian angle watching over me.

Now what to do? I am back on the lift. Do I try to get it welded or do I replace it (center stand)? I am inclined to look on ebay and the bone yard for a replacement. BTW, there seems to be a fair amount of side play in the bearings, so maybe there is more that needs to be replaced? Any suggestions, as always, will be appreciated.

Anybody have a good suggestion on how to get the spring off (easily) ?
post #14 of 19 Old May 24th, 2011, 7:28 am

Interesting,........... I'm new to my 2005 K12, but I have quickly noticed that if the bars are turned hard left to lock the steering while the bike is on the centre stand, a distinct twisting action can be felt being transmitted down through it (the stand). In fact on a smooth concrete floor the stand will sometimes skip a little sideways. This torsional force will be loading up the welded joints I suspect. It could be a contributor to the failures.
I'd be interested to know if those experiencing failures have often locked the steering with the bike raised.
post #15 of 19 Old May 24th, 2011, 9:41 am
Lifetime Supporter

Dennis,

Your 2005 has the hydraulic center stand, new to that year and on to 2009. The ones in this thread are all pre 2005 and have the manual stand.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #16 of 19 Old May 26th, 2011, 11:55 pm

Garage

I read this post out of curiosity.
And if I did not see the pictures I would not have believed that stuff could actually happen. My bike is new with hydraulics and tomorrow I am going to peek under there just to compare with what I have learned tonight. A picture is worth a 1000 words and all have done a fine job with their repairs. Nothing for me to add except UNBELIEVABLE!
ride safe
post #17 of 19 Old Sep 19th, 2012, 10:54 am

My bike tipped over today after putting her on the centre stand. I think I'll get it welded up and reinforeced too!

1999 BMW K1200LT "Galatea"
1976 MERCEDES-BENZ 280S "Lady Genevieve"
1993 MERCEDES-BENZ S320 "Lady Audrey"
post #18 of 19 Old Sep 19th, 2012, 5:17 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I still have a few pair of Laser cut reinforced parts for your year center stand. They cost me $16 a pair. You can have them for that plus shipping if you want.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Center Stand 006.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	800.2 KB
ID:	36519   Click image for larger version

Name:	Center Stand 003.JPG
Views:	353
Size:	900.0 KB
ID:	36520  

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #19 of 19 Old Sep 19th, 2012, 6:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
I still have a few pair of Laser cut reinforced parts for your year center stand. They cost me $16 a pair. You can have them for that plus shipping if you want.

+1, I bought a set from Dave and they are beautiful. I have not installed them yet but will shortly.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in