Fill tank from center stand - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old Jan 19th, 2011, 2:41 pm Thread Starter

Fill tank from center stand

I read thru all the posts and did some searching and the only "impact" I could find on filling from the center stand was "shorting" myself some fuel?

I HATE using the side stand and I am so afraid of the bitch falling over.

SO is there any damage I can cause from filling from the center stand.

Thanks as always in advance.

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old Jan 19th, 2011, 2:46 pm

Re: Fill tank from center stand

No, just shorting yourself about 1/2 gallon on a full tank.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #3 of 40 Old Jan 19th, 2011, 3:40 pm

Keep the bike in 1st gear, release the clutch, and push it the direction you want to be (forwards or backwards & nearest the pump keypad & nozzle) 'till it doesn't roll any further, then put your side stand down. Most fuel points are flat anyway, so your rolling worries should be minimal. Don't fear and Good luck!

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

post #4 of 40 Old Jan 19th, 2011, 5:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarider
Agree

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #5 of 40 Old Jan 19th, 2011, 5:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlauBeeMr
Keep the bike in 1st gear, release the clutch, and push it the direction you want to be (forwards or backwards & nearest the pump keypad & nozzle) 'till it doesn't roll any further, then put your side stand down. Most fuel points are flat anyway, so your rolling worries should be minimal. Don't fear and Good luck!

I agree that that should work, I am just a chicken and am willing to sacrifice the extra 1/2 gallon if I can remove the chance of the bike faling over at the gas pump.

post #6 of 40 Old Jan 19th, 2011, 5:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The big thing is to not overfill it so remember to only fill it to the bottom of the threads. With a six gallon plus capacity it's pretty certain your butt will need a break before the bike needs filled. I usually get 50 plus MPG at 70 MPH so I usually just fill her up when I'm stretching the legs.

post #7 of 40 Old Jan 19th, 2011, 5:59 pm

Your bike is more stable on the side stand since the weight is distributed over a wider area. The only thing you have to worry about is the side stand retracting but if you park it right it won't. Always park in gear, nose up hill and into the wind.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #8 of 40 Old Jan 19th, 2011, 6:00 pm

I used to use the center stand, which was a bit of a pain when you are riding 2-up but a number of folks on the forum and the mechanic at the local BMW shop convinced me that it was an invitation for sending gas to the infamous canister.

Also, although most a flat, areas in front of the pump are prone to get cat litter, sand, or other materials to soak up spills. I almost lost the LT to gravity once taking that most heavy fully loaded high in the air tank off the center stand not paying attention to my feet landing in non-clumping loose clay. Boots grabbed before it went too far.

I have been filling up on the side stand for the past 18 months without a problem.

+1 on not overfilling.

Bill.

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #9 of 40 Old Jan 19th, 2011, 6:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarider
gets dicey when the next gas station is 240 miles away

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #10 of 40 Old Jan 19th, 2011, 6:08 pm

Quote:
if I can remove the chance of the bike faling over at the gas pump.
I've had my bike fall over from the centerstand. Never had one fall over from the sidestand. I think you're shorting yourself AND increasing the risk.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #11 of 40 Old Jan 19th, 2011, 7:32 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Re: Fill tank from center stand

+ 1 about not overfilling, first gear, etc. Tip # 101. Park just far enough away from the pump hardware / raised concrete base so that if the worst happens and she does topple over no damage occurs. Using the correct method lifting the LT isn't that hard.
Also she is not a b*#ch. They don't like it and will return like for like.
Cheers

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #12 of 40 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 4:12 am

Lose the canister - use the side stand! I fill to the bottom of the filler cap every time! I despise having to take the time to buy gas! I wish someone would stop by my house 2 times a week to fill my vehicles so I wouldn't have to do it myself! I would pay a premium price for the service.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #13 of 40 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 5:04 am

Thanks for the dialogue. I also hate using the side stand. I enjoyed reading these posts and thank all for their input.

David

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #14 of 40 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 5:41 am

The bike will *not* fall over on the side-stand if you adhere to the general parking rules: don't park nose pointing downhill. If you park on the centerstand and nose is downhill, it will also fall over.

So, if it is safe on the centerstand, it's safe on the sidestand. It will NOT fall over. It's a psycological issue. You can even sit on the lady (not the bitch mind you) while she's on the sidestand. It will NOT fall over, as long as you remember to park UPhill. But then again, I have never seen a gasstation with a sloped fillingarea... Did I say that it will NOT fall over?
post #15 of 40 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 7:55 am

Paul, if you are more comfortable with using the power centerstand .. By all means why not! As several told you will not be absolutely full but only if you plan a near 300mile non-stop trip should this be a concern!! What is a concern is the canister.. there are tons of posts on this site.. please get rid of it before it bites you.. and filling on the centerstand is not the only way to have issue with the canister!! I also most often use the centerstand on my 05' and have never had an issue! The sidestand is safe when used properly, but the centerstand is a spoiler!! Just fill in a mostly level area.. which is most any fuel stop!

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
post #16 of 40 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 8:21 am

The only time I had a fully fared BMW suffer severe damage was during a wind storm. My K100RT was blown over from its centerstand. This would not have happened had the bike been on the sidestand and positioned properly. A large windshield on a top heavy bike on its centerstand during severe wind spells disaster. When a manufacturer wants to save a few bucks, they leave of the centerstand, not the sidestand!
post #17 of 40 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 4:11 pm

This is a stange thread for me. I only use my centerstand when my bike is put away in the garage, otherwise I only use my sidestand. I've been doing this for years, thousands of miles, and the thought of her falling over hasn't occurred to me. Most of the bikes I've owned over the years have only had sidestands, no centerstand, so that is the habit I have developed. Is falling off the sidestand a common occurence? I feel like the bike is pretty stable on the sidestand.

Brian Purvis
Park City, Utah

'05 K1200LT
'03 R1150RT
'04 Husaberg 650FE

post #18 of 40 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 4:23 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bripurvis
Is falling off the sidestand a common occurence? .
Must be just me as I feel unstable on the side stand.

Maybe I am using the automatic center-stand as a crutch. (no pun intended)

It just seems that every time I go to gas up and am using the side stand she wants to roll and she always feels awkward.

I have a ride that requires 6-7 gas stops next week so I will see if I can get more confortable with the side stand.

Or maybe just use the center stand and fell more comfortable.

post #19 of 40 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 6:22 pm

I would bet money that the vast majority of center stand filler uppers are 2005 model year and later bikes. Those of us who have to stand on the horn for the center stand in order to put it up on the CS are more likely to use the side stand........... For obvious reasons!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #20 of 40 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 7:01 pm

Paul,
This my routine at every stop, IF I'm not using the center stand, which I seldom do. Shut off the engine. Lean to the right to let the oil drain. Side stand down, kick it with the inside of my heel to make sure it went all the way. Remove gloves. Check for direction of roll, if any. Ease the LT to rest on the gear. Still leaning right. Kick the side stand again with inside of heel, just to make sure it hasn't moved. Lean to the left til the side stand catches. Swing leg over.

I don't let people or things distract me in my process. I did that once before when my wife followed me in the car to Home Depot. I had a Yamaha FZ-6. She came up while I was parking and started yapping like all women do. I dismounted and the FZ nearly took me to the ground with it! A couple of quick steps kept me from being stampeded. The wife didn't let me forget that for a long time. You might say she ran that one into the ground! That was a first and I hope the last.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #21 of 40 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 7:52 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleknight
It just seems that every time I go to gas up and am using the side stand she wants to roll...
When you stop for fuel, leave it in gear and turn off the engine. Then, release the clutch and push forward until it won't roll any farther. Finally, lower the side stand, make sure it is fully forward and ease her over onto the stand. When you do this there is no slack in the drive train to let it roll forward, and the stand won't let it slide rearward. Try this a few times in your own driveway until the awkward feeling diminishes...

Oh, and remember that you left it in gear before you start... keep the clutch in and don't just let it out after the engine starts...
post #22 of 40 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 8:42 am

Wink Re: Fill tank from center stand

One common practice for many of us is to leave it in gear and lower the side stand when you are parking it. This will also add the benefit of checking the side stand switch. Once the engine has stopped you do want to roll the Bike forward until the gears stop the roll. Now you can feel confident that the Bike will not roll off the side stand.

And I always fill from the side stand in order to get my max range just in case! The Cannisterectomy was ancient history for my Bike!

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimH
When you stop for fuel, leave it in gear and turn off the engine. Then, release the clutch and push forward until it won't roll any farther. Finally, lower the side stand, make sure it is fully forward and ease her over onto the stand. When you do this there is no slack in the drive train to let it roll forward, and the stand won't let it slide rearward. Try this a few times in your own driveway until the awkward feeling diminishes...

Oh, and remember that you left it in gear before you start... keep the clutch in and don't just let it out after the engine starts...

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #23 of 40 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 8:44 am

Maybe I am old fashioned, but my LT or any other bike rarely sees neutral. When I started riding (45 years ago) I was told that clutches were cheap compared to human bones. I want my bike ready at all times to pull out or away when at a stop in the event someone I spot behind me in the mirror "does not see me" so I always am in gear. I know that "riding the clutch" in a car can wear it out, but my '99 LT still has its original at 60,000 miles.
post #24 of 40 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 8:58 am

You guys that are worried about the side stand breaking, read my post on "broken center stand". Anything can happen (anytime)

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)
post #25 of 40 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 9:23 am

One thing that hasnīt been mentioned is the ease of filling the tank when the bike is on the side stand in gear.

The handlebar stays in one place over to the left. On the centre stand it moves around and makes getting the nozzle into the tank that bit more difficult.
post #26 of 40 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 10:07 am

Quote:
Is falling off the sidestand a common occurence?
Not at all, the OP is mistaken in his fear.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #27 of 40 Old Jan 28th, 2011, 8:31 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez
Not at all, the OP is mistaken in his fear.
I would say that the OP in not mistaken. (spoken as the OP)

EVERYONE agrees that the LT is TOP Heavy and also there is a concern of the LT slipping of the side stand.

I took steps outlined by JIMH (thanks Jim)

When you stop for fuel, leave it in gear and turn off the engine. Then, release the clutch and push forward until it won't roll any farther. Finally, lower the side stand, make sure it is fully forward and ease her over onto the stand.

I filled up 6 times over 2 days and used this procedure and the bike felt so much better on the side stand.

post #28 of 40 Old Jan 28th, 2011, 8:41 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleknight
I took steps outlined by JIMH (thanks Jim)
You are most welcome!

Quote:
I filled up 6 times over 2 days and used this procedure and the bike felt so much better on the side stand.
I LOVE a happy ending!
post #29 of 40 Old Jan 28th, 2011, 9:11 am

Again, I share that this is the reason I strap midgets (or "little people" if you want to be politically correct) to both of my saddlebags whenever I ride, even if it's just to go down the street and fill my tank. Takes all of that fear of tipping over out of riding and lets me enjoy my time on the bike.

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #30 of 40 Old Jan 30th, 2011, 4:25 pm

In 100k+ miles I haven't had my KLT fall ff of the sidestand. I only use the centerstand for parking at home. I use the sidestand to shut off the engine when stopping to park. It is simple. Stop, deploy the sidestand, the engine will shut down, release the clutch lever, release the brake, reach forward and remove the key. No rollie forward, no fallie down.....

Bob Chapman
Virginia
2000 K12LT
1978 CB750A (Automatic Cafe Racer Ratbike)
post #31 of 40 Old Feb 1st, 2011, 10:27 am

Quote:
EVERYONE agrees that the LT is TOP Heavy and also there is a concern of the LT slipping of the side stand.
Far from everyone. I completely disagree, as do many others. In fact I have rarely run into anyone who thinks that the centerstand is more secure than the sidestand. Simple physics proves it is not. However you do what makes you feel good, but for others who might read this, they should not take it as gospel.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #32 of 40 Old Feb 1st, 2011, 11:13 am

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez
Far from everyone. I completely disagree, as do many others. In fact I have rarely run into anyone who thinks that the centerstand is more secure than the sidestand. Simple physics proves it is not. However you do what makes you feel good, but for others who might read this, they should not take it as gospel.
I too agree to disagree with that statement. Yes the LT is top heavy, but there no fear of slipping...!
It was interesting to note that my 05 LT leans a lot more than my 99 and 03 LTs, and my pillion feel uncomfortable refueling on the side stand because of the lean angle, so I use the hydraulic center stand when I ride with her. Otherwise I prefer to use the side stand and get a good fill of the tank.
Although I could think of a good reason not to use the side stand when parking... the mosquito population control when starting the bike after it was left leaning on the left side. Silly German engineers!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #33 of 40 Old Feb 1st, 2011, 12:50 pm

ONLY if left out of gear on a slope.
post #34 of 40 Old Feb 1st, 2011, 1:01 pm Thread Starter

OK Ok OK..

It must have just been me

I take it back.

I promise to be good from now on...

I swear

post #35 of 40 Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 11:37 am

One of the reasons I use the center stand is to avoid the smoke on startup when it is on the side stand. From this thread, it seems like no one else worries about that?
post #36 of 40 Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 11:48 am

When gassing up, leave the bike in gear, use the side stand and PARK WITH THE PUMP TO YOUR RIGHT. That way, if the bike does fall over it won't pin you between it and the pump. Also, don't sit on the bike to fill it. If gas should spill and a fire should start, you want to be able to quickly step away.
Just my two cents.
post #37 of 40 Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 2:21 pm

Wink Re: Fill tank from center stand

All excellent advice for fueling the LT! And precisely how I do it as well.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eureka
When gassing up, leave the bike in gear, use the side stand and PARK WITH THE PUMP TO YOUR RIGHT. That way, if the bike does fall over it won't pin you between it and the pump. Also, don't sit on the bike to fill it. If gas should spill and a fire should start, you want to be able to quickly step away.
Just my two cents.

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #38 of 40 Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 3:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKilpatrick
One of the reasons I use the center stand is to avoid the smoke on startup when it is on the side stand. From this thread, it seems like no one else worries about that?

If you stop your LT and keep it in the vertical position, switch off, remove your gloves, or just wait about 30 seconds and then put it on the side stand, it most likely will not blow smoke when you start up again. Works for me.

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)
post #39 of 40 Old Feb 4th, 2011, 3:03 am

Thumbs up Re: Fill tank from center stand

Side or center.....Depending on your body structure, pillion passenger or not, next destination (full tank?) and last but not least, your mental and physical state at that time....

A word of advise: never let anyone fill that tank for you. Do it yourself and make sure when you insert the refueling gun tip, not to let it touch or lean over the tank fuel gage sensor tube wich consist basically of two thin wires with a floater in between(..). A small knock at the wrong angle under certain conditions can dislodge the floater from one side.........Y'ou'll have to remove the fuel tank to fix that.....

Ride safe, Z.
post #40 of 40 Old Feb 4th, 2011, 12:32 pm

My bike has been down exactly one time...while putting gas in it on the side stand. It was in gear. The sidestand was probably not all the way forward, even though I distinctly remember checking it before I set the bike down. The fall occurred when I was dismounting. The steering was locked....making it a real pain to get back up again. Broke two ribs trying to stop it (or to put it back up by myself...not sure which). Essentially no damage to the bike, except for bending the shift lever just enough to make the lever drag on coming back up (FYI, they don't bend back), so a new shift lever was also part of the adventure. The broken ribs made for a bad ski trip the following weekend.

I now get gas one of two ways....on the center stand or on the sidestand while my butt is still on the seat and feet on the ground. For the latter you have to make sure not to overfill, but that's not hard to do. After that incident I rarely put it on the sidestand ever...the only exception being if I am on a grade--generally not a problem in FLatland.

It has been said on many other threads here, she goes down easy... and that applies to the side stand as well. The side stand geometry is not ideal, and there is no "click" point like there is on most motorcycles.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in