Sell or Not to Sell? That is the Question! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jan 19th, 2011, 8:08 am Thread Starter

Sell or Not to Sell? That is the Question!

Life is what happens when you are busy having other plans.

I am thinking about selling my 05 LT with 50K + miles, new tires, 48K service complete, new Wilbur shocks and a bunch of extras including about a year left on an extended warranty.

Why? When I bought it, about 75% of my riding was two up. Wife and I did at least one long distance two week vacation a year and a bunch of long weekend. We still love to ride together, problem is we don't have time any longer. Elder care issues keeps us home bound except for maybe one long weekend a year.

Meanwhile, values are droping due to the new K1600GT/L and just plain time. I am fortunate to have a second bike (08 R1200R) I use for around town, that is why mileage on the LT is so low. I still ride, just not two up doing the touring we enjoyed so much.

I would appreciate the wisdom of this forum on this issue. Should I sell the LT and when time and circumstances permit, buy another touring bike? Should I hold on to the LT and wait for better times?

All thoughtful input appreciated.

Ultra LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jan 19th, 2011, 8:23 am

Re: Sell or Not to Sell? That is the Question!

Taking care of a seriously ill parent/spouse/relative must be one of the noblest things a person can do with their life. You are to be commended for this unselfish act.

As far as whether you should sell or keep your LT it's hard to say based on what is reasonable for you to share with us in this forum. I would say that something the two of you should seriously look into is respite care. There are usually several options in every reasonably sized burg and the cost is usually very reasonable. A couple hours twice a week can make a huge difference. A movie, dinner out, an occasional all day ride, etc. It's good for the soul.

Check with a skilled nursing facility, assisted living facility, the state nursing board, senior center, etc. to get some ideas of what is available.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #3 of 11 Old Jan 19th, 2011, 11:58 am
Lifetime Supporter

I was fortunate enough to be in a position to use my accrued leave to care for my parents under FMLA just before I retired. It is very time consuming and for me, became the primary focus of my days for quite some time. I understand where you're at. My parents were in a care home and it was still overwhelming at times. Hopefully you have some resources for the elderly in your area which can get you some time away. Eventually this will pass and you can enjoy the bike again. Keep it if you can afford to do so. My bike was my escape when I was in your shoes. I just didn't get to use it much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old Jan 19th, 2011, 1:29 pm

My opinion, FWIW, is you own a great bike, hang on to it and enjoy it when you can. We ride 2 up a lot, but I also enjoy solo rides on the LT, if just for an afternoon get away. I know if I were to turn loose of my bike, I would regret it later.

Best wishes on your situation and your decision to keep or sell.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #5 of 11 Old Jan 19th, 2011, 1:35 pm

I echo the sentiments of the other posts...I can definately understand your position. What my take on the question of sell or not is absolutely do NOT sell if you do not have too. I personally think the new 1600 GTL may be a wonderful machine, I seriously question if it will fill the same bill that the LT does. In addition, it sounds like you have your bike set up well, and that is worth so much more than the money you would get for it in todays market. I actually think that the LT market could go either way with the introduction of the GTL, given that the LT is no longer in production, and if the new bike is not a reasonable substitute, the uniqueness and limited availability of the LT may cause its value to increase. My wife and I enjoy riding together, we are not cross country endurance riders by any means, but lots of day trips to enjoy the beauty of Washington state, overnighters and long weekenders galore. It really gives us a medium for one on one interaction that we don't always get, given work, family, and the day to day...Just my 2 cents....

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #6 of 11 Old Jan 19th, 2011, 3:24 pm Thread Starter

I want to thank all of you who have so thoughtfully responded. Keep em coming. I do finally have the bike set up just right and I know I would miss it if it were gone. Good thoughts on marketability re hole created if K1600's don't fill the bill. We all can hope on that one.

Ultra LT
post #7 of 11 Old Jan 19th, 2011, 6:06 pm

I certainly don't envy you your position or decision. I'm only guessing you're "elder" is a parent or parent-in-law. We went through that not long ago, so I know where you're at.
Something no one's mentioned, or I missed, is your second bike. Have you already decided that if one goes, it's the LT? And not the R?
I have 3 bikes now, one being the LT and another other an FZ1. I flat love riding the FZ1 - what a kick in the adrenalin! But, were I in a position to have to sell one, with the thought that our two up riding would still be in our not too distant future, I'd likely sell the FZ1 and keep my LT. I too really enjoy long distance solo trips on the LT. For that I just yank the trunk and go. With the wife, it's with the trunk and a rear seat governor attached to the engine .
Another reason for selling the FZ rather than the LT, is that I know I can find another FZ, or similar bike, for a lot less money, and quicker, than I might find for an LT set up the way I want. I think?
That's just my lame thought, but it's ultimately your call. Only you know what you need to do.
Whatever it is, luck to you.
Frank
post #8 of 11 Old Jan 19th, 2011, 6:34 pm

I don't own a car any more.

After my wife died I wound up riding my LT every where I wanted to go. SOmetimes I make two trips for grocery shopping, but each time I'm on my LT.

When the first 1200LT came out there were a few major issues that had to be straightened out. Some of these leave you on the side of the road issues didn't fully surface until two or three years. During the LT's life span BMW has not corrected known problems.

So. For me, I won't consider a new BMW until has been out for three years. I do not want to be a beta tester again for BMW motorcycles.

Best from Tucson
Bob

Mine has a new chip for engine control, different spedo cables, a leaking trany seal, a replaced starter relay, new rear disk brake to reduce the squeal, and soon to be replaced slave cylinder. Oh, and I had to mod the speedo to make it close to accurate and reliable speed indicat5ion. Replaced all of the brake lines. Removed grub screws on the brake and clutch systems.

ANd, I had to have a crash pan installed to protect the trany.

Pretty soon, it will be cheaper to buy a used 00LT than to do a major repair like replacing the slve cylinder and clutch.

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #9 of 11 Old Jan 19th, 2011, 7:16 pm

You will receive your reward for caring for the elderly: ".....but if a widow has children or grandchildren, let them first learn to show godliness to their own household and to make some return to their parents, for this is pleasing in the sight of God." (1 Tim 5:4)

As far as selling your LT goes, I have sold many vehicles over a period of 30 years and I have learned one thing: Every vehicle I sold was in a better condition than the day I bought it, even the few new ones! You have set up your LT to suit your needs, and I assume you have done the necessary maintenance. Selling a vehicle or a motorcycle never returns the investment in extra's, quality maintenance and proper care. And since few people take really good care of their vehicles, it is not so easy to find one in really great condition despite what the advertisements say.

So, unless you have to sell to meet financial needs and assuming the motorcycle continue to meet your needs, it makes sense to hold on to it. And as Frank said, if you have to sell something I'd rather let go of the R for the reasons he stated. You would probably loose less on the R due to it being a newer model.

André Strydom
BMW MOA #140995

"And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."
Acts 4:12
post #10 of 11 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 2:37 pm

Hey Rich, keep us posted on what you're thinking!
post #11 of 11 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 4:06 pm

As some of the posters have mentioned, you have the bike set up for yourselves, you know where it is it terms of maintenance, so it could be difficult to confidently replace the bike some time down the road for the same money. Also, only you can know whether you have the resources to keep it until you can use it again. I believe the availability of proper storage is important. I know I sold one of my early bikes when for a period of time I was rarely riding as I was involved in raising my children. It also had even lower mileage. It wasn't very long before I wished I had not sold. Just this past summer I managed to find a reasonably clean example of the same bike which didn't appear to be too badly cared for and bought it. I enjoy the new one as much as I remember the old one, but will have to do some cosmetic work to keep it reasonable. As soon as I got it, I changed the oil only to discover the last oil filter had been improperly installed.
Anyhow, difficult choice. Best of luck on your decision.
Ross

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in