Trunk Latch Fix It Kits - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jan 18th, 2011, 7:37 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Question Trunk Latch Fix It Kits

This past July I helped a member here install his fix-it before it breaks kit for his top case latch. A few months ago I remember reading that they would be available again sometime early this year. I very seldom close my latch even though I have cut my pins down to .130 diameter for fear of breaking it. My 2000 LT latch closes very easy compared to my 2004 LT & the 2000 has the stock diameter pins Has anyone heard when they will be available?

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jan 18th, 2011, 7:49 pm

Re: Trunk Latch Fix It Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
This past July I helped a member here install his fix-it before it breaks kit for his top case latch. A few months ago I remember reading that they would be available again sometime early this year. I very seldom close my latch even though I have cut my pins down to .130 diameter for fear of breaking it. My 2000 LT latch closes very easy compared to my 2004 LT & the 2000 has the stock diameter pins Has anyone heard when they will be available?
Hey, Dave - this is last item I found from Evan back in late November. You might ping him and see if he gets the ping. He's pretty good about staying involved and keeping communications open. Good luck.
post #3 of 18 Old Jan 18th, 2011, 10:38 pm

Smile Re: Trunk Latch Fix It Kits

try using 0.125" diameter pins.

post #4 of 18 Old Jan 19th, 2011, 7:53 am

Ahh! Stuff always takes longer than we would like, eh?!

I've got the Mazak Integrex (the machine that builds the "FIBIB" kits) back up and running beautifully! I did a major rebuild of the 5-axis milling spindle and turret assembly. New spindle bearings and over 100 seals were changed! It's running beautifully.

AND, I have material right here, IN-STOCK to build 144 more kits! I'm ON IT!! Thanks for your patience!

Best,
Evan Guy
post #5 of 18 Old Jan 19th, 2011, 8:12 am

post #6 of 18 Old Jan 19th, 2011, 8:26 am

So Evan, those hunks of aluminum must be the replacement hinge pins!!!!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #7 of 18 Old Jan 19th, 2011, 1:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenceer

And only use one.

EZ-RDR55
The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not represent that of any other humanoid past, present or future on this or any other planet.

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
post #8 of 18 Old Jan 19th, 2011, 4:40 pm

Quote:
My 2000 LT...
I know it to be true, but for some reason, that just sounds SO WRONG to me!

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #9 of 18 Old Jan 19th, 2011, 5:48 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenceer
Mine cleaned up the wear grooves at .130 thick so that's as far as I cut them.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #10 of 18 Old Jan 19th, 2011, 5:52 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez_rdr55
And only use one.
It is not unusual for me to have 40 or 50 lbs strapped to the top rack so I need to keep both pins installed. It would be hard on the hinges under braking with only one pin.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #11 of 18 Old Jan 19th, 2011, 6:12 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilletsGalore
Ahh! Stuff always takes longer than we would like, eh?!

I've got the Mazak Integrex (the machine that builds the "FIBIB" kits) back up and running beautifully! I did a major rebuild of the 5-axis milling spindle and turret assembly. New spindle bearings and over 100 seals were changed! It's running beautifully.

AND, I have material right here, IN-STOCK to build 144 more kits! I'm ON IT!! Thanks for your patience!

Best,
Evan Guy
We have 6 Mazak machines in our shop & two of them are the Integrex 5 axis models. They are like any machine some seem to run forever with little maintenance & others require a lot of maintenance. Mazak is one of our sponsors and they do all of our repairs. I have watched the technicians work and they are on there laptops & calling the factory quite often. That's quite impressive rebuilding them yourself . I guess it's time to order a Fix-It Before It Breaks Kit.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #12 of 18 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 10:24 am

Quote:
We have 6 Mazak machines in our shop & two of them are the Integrex 5 axis models. They are like any machine some seem to run forever with little maintenance & others require a lot of maintenance. Mazak is one of our sponsors and they do all of our repairs. I have watched the technicians work and they are on there laptops & calling the factory quite often. That's quite impressive rebuilding them yourself . I guess it's time to order a Fix-It Before It Breaks Kit.
The Integrex is a fairly fragile machine, as the spindle bearings can incur high shock loads if you do lathe work with interrupted cuts. And I did some rough oil field work that I shouldn't have. Integrex is very good at what it does, but it's NOT a heavy duty lathe for rough interrupted cuts. And since the machine is 9 years old and I was already going pretty deep to get the spindle bearings, I figured it would be a good time to go all the way to the bottom of the B-axis turret and get EVERY seal so that I wouldn't have to go back in.

What do you guys do? I'd love to see a website....Post it here, or send me a private message if that's your preference. Thanks!

Evan
post #13 of 18 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 5:28 pm

Talking Re: Trunk Latch Fix It Kits

Quote:
You should also smooth the under side of the hooks. I used my dremal tool with a stone to smooth out my hooks.
Have not had a problem. With that being said, hope it stays that way.

George
aka MTHelmet
post #14 of 18 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 6:42 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemmerbiker
You should also smooth the under side of the hooks. I used my dremal tool with a stone to smooth out my hooks.
Have not had a problem. With that being said, hope it stays that way.

George
aka MTHelmet
I have done that to my latch hooks as well.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #15 of 18 Old Jan 24th, 2011, 6:29 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilletsGalore
The Integrex is a fairly fragile machine, as the spindle bearings can incur high shock loads if you do lathe work with interrupted cuts. And I did some rough oil field work that I shouldn't have. Integrex is very good at what it does, but it's NOT a heavy duty lathe for rough interrupted cuts. And since the machine is 9 years old and I was already going pretty deep to get the spindle bearings, I figured it would be a good time to go all the way to the bottom of the B-axis turret and get EVERY seal so that I wouldn't have to go back in.

What do you guys do? I'd love to see a website....Post it here, or send me a private message if that's your preference. Thanks!

Evan
I work for Penske Racing at the NASCAR engine shop. We machine the blocks,heads & intakes from a raw casting. We also make most of the engine components brackets,pulleys,engine plates,rocker arms,pushrods,pistons,etc. We make some of the suspension parts. The race car shop has several CNC machines as well. We have three 5-axis machines and four other CNC machines an EDM machine a few surface grinders,crack detection,several hand mills & lathes,six honing machines the list could go on & on.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #16 of 18 Old Apr 11th, 2011, 1:53 pm

Wow, what a neat job you've got! I'd imagine it's a real pleasure to show up there to buiuld the coolest stuff!!

Anyway, after a long battle to get my own products onto my own machines, there are lots of new Fix It Before It Breaks Kits in stock, shipping within 3 days of order! So sorry for the delay, y'all!!
post #17 of 18 Old May 10th, 2011, 8:15 pm

Ordered one today. Love keeping money in state.
post #18 of 18 Old May 31st, 2011, 5:09 pm

I recently purchase the Fix it before it breaks Kit from Evan and I am glad that I did. While my LT (2002 year) was not showing any dimpling on the pot metal, Evan and I could feel where the corners at the point the latch handle and hooks arms (which are molded into the handle itself because it is a pot metal pour) had shift-moved-bent inward just a little bit. Upon installing the Fix it kit. It became evident that the hooks themselves had shifted quite a lot. While I don't think that a handle break was eminent, one was waiting for me in the future. And that would have required a complete replacement of the handle and handle mechanism. The instructions for the kit, were clear as were the photos. At Evan's suggestion, I removed the trunk so I could install the kit without having to look from under the handle. Also it was a lot cooler in my house.

So for those of you LT owners who still have their original trunk handles that are made of pot metal......check these symptoms, dimpling of the metal in the upper left and right area of the handle, slight bends inward of the corners, lots of pressure needed to close the handle ( a loud thunking sound as it closes) and/or a feeling of lots of resistance in closing the handle. Your handle might give the appearance of being ok. Its is not. It is a function of the type of metal BMW used for the handle and the hooks arms coming off the handle. And the stamping action placed on these pot metal parts (actually one part-handle and hooks arms). This stamping action that is caused every time the trunk latch is closed deforms the pot metal of the handle and the hooks arms. Your damage might be restricted to the hook arms, just the handle or both. But the deformation is there waiting to deform past the point of handling the load of latching the trunk lid down, and SNAP Crackle Pop! the latch is going to break. The cost to prevent the break (The Fix it before it breaks Kit (130 plus TX tax and shipping) is a lot easier to bear than a complete replace ($360 plus TX tax and shipping ). I don't think anyone would spend the money BMW wants for another lower case with a new pot metal handle just to have the same thing happen again.

My recommendation, get the Fix It Before it Breaks Kit, save peace of mind and a more expensive repair/replacement later if it does completely break.

Have a great day everyone.

Regards

Karl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in