What is the torque for nuts on exhaust studs - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jan 18th, 2011, 5:27 pm Thread Starter

What is the torque for nuts on exhaust studs

Have an 09 LT with 4300 miles on it. Took it for a short ride today and when I got home I wanted to get a closer look at engine. I noticed oil drops on the bottom of each exhaust stud so I pulled the left bottom cover off and the best I can tell it is coming from the exhaust gaskets. The nuts dont feel very tight but if someone has a book handy and can give me the torque I can check them. Yes I know its under warranty but dont really want to ride 3 hours to a dealer if I can get it stopped myself. Its not that bad but I dont like seeing leaks.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jan 18th, 2011, 6:07 pm

Re: What is the torque for nuts on exhaust studs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigDug68
Have an 09 LT with 4300 miles on it. Took it for a short ride today and when I got home I wanted to get a closer look at engine. I noticed oil drops on the bottom of each exhaust stud so I pulled the left bottom cover off and the best I can tell it is coming from the exhaust gaskets. The nuts dont feel very tight but if someone has a book handy and can give me the torque I can check them. Yes I know its under warranty but dont really want to ride 3 hours to a dealer if I can get it stopped myself. Its not that bad but I dont like seeing leaks.
Thanks
IIRC, they're all 22 nm. There is a large copper/brass crush washer (donut) at each flange. Those nuts have a history of working loose after all the hot/cold/hot phases they go thru. It'll take a socket extension to get to most of 'em. Good luck. I'll confirm the torque setting in a moment.

Edit: confirmed at 22Nm.
post #3 of 3 Old Jan 18th, 2011, 6:14 pm

Re: What is the torque for nuts on exhaust studs

The torque on the nuts holding the exhaust to the cylinder head is 22Nm according to my manual. However, it is very unlikely to have oil leaking through the exhaust system. When this happens it is time for expensive engine repairs.

Condensation typically forms inside the exhaust system during warm-up and "short" rides, and sometimes leaks through gaskets. It is usually not observed at the joint to the cylinder head but rather further down the system. The drops are nothing more than dirty water. This is not serious and disappears when the engine is at operating temperature.

However, I am thinking the drops you saw may have some other source. On the LT it will be difficult for condensate to leak through the exhaust gaskets at the cylinder head due to its orientation, also it will be at high temperature very quickly preventing any condensation in that area.

André Strydom
BMW MOA #140995

"And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."
Acts 4:12

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in