International Motorcycle Show - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jan 16th, 2011, 10:09 pm Thread Starter

International Motorcycle Show

Today, I went to the International Motorcycle Show in Washington, D.C. BMW motorcycles were conspicuously absent. None. There were two BMW dealers there but not one BMW motorcycle. Evidently, BMW Motorcycles market themselves and their dealers enjoy absolute customer loyalty...imagine!

Last edited by kacz00; Jan 16th, 2011 at 10:25 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jan 17th, 2011, 7:03 am

Re: International Motorcycle Show

My father and I went to Chicago last year and it was the same story. There was a local dealer, and the Chicago area BMW club. The club had a better display than the dealer. The word I got from a club member is that BMW says it is VERY expensive to import their bikes and gear 'just' for the show.

This is peculiar because BMW used to be a feature at the shows. They were very prominent. I am going to the show in Chicago again in February. I was really hoping to see the new LT but I really didn't expect to see them there.

I just find it curious that there are so many other manufacturers that make the trip. I just like being able to see the latest models, and kick tires with industry insiders. I guess we can just forget about that.

Scott

2008 Concours
St. Louis MO
post #3 of 6 Old Jan 17th, 2011, 7:29 am

At Bike week in Daytona we found NO evidence of BMW Corporate being at bike week.

From the International Motorcycle Show website,

http://www.motorcycleshows.com/manu...e-manufacturers

http://www.motorcycleshows.com/Daytona

says BMW will only be in NYC and CA

So the import factor does not apply.

I would guess they are going where they can get the most "bang for the buck" and have the best press coverage.

Color me disappointed but not mad.

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Jan 17th, 2011, 7:56 am

They did it last year and will probably do it again next year. Guess the attendance numbers aren't there at the shows besides LA/NYC to justify the expense.

Matt
95 Honda Magna (sold)
97 R1100RT (sold)
00 LTc, Canyon Red "Tarkus" (sold)
01 F650GS (wifey's, sold)
01 Ducati S4 Monster "LittleOne"
04 R1150RT (turned to scrap)
99 R1100RT Tundra Green
Kalamazoo, MI
"Worry does not rob tomorrow of it's sorrow. It saps the strength of today."
post #5 of 6 Old Jan 18th, 2011, 7:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLHeadake
My father and I went to Chicago last year and it was the same story. There was a local dealer, and the Chicago area BMW club. The club had a better display than the dealer. The word I got from a club member is that BMW says it is VERY expensive to import their bikes and gear 'just' for the show.

This is peculiar because BMW used to be a feature at the shows. They were very prominent. I am going to the show in Chicago again in February. I was really hoping to see the new LT but I really didn't expect to see them there.

I just find it curious that there are so many other manufacturers that make the trip. I just like being able to see the latest models, and kick tires with industry insiders. I guess we can just forget about that.
Maybe they just can't compete with HD in their own back yard.

Went to the bike show once in Chi-town and there was more custom choppers than anything else. BMW was there that time with an LT and a K13GT as there main display.

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #6 of 6 Old Jan 18th, 2011, 1:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLHeadake

BMW was not at the Chicago motorcycle show for at least the last two years.
Last year, Chicago BMW brought a 1000RR and displayed it in the Chicago Area BMW club's area in one of the side rooms off of the main floor.
I can remember when BMW had a big walk-thru semi truck with displays inside and about a dozen bikes along side on the show floor.
Triumph has also been absent but, I hear that they will be in attendance this year.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in