regarding windshield fogging. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jan 16th, 2011, 9:37 am Thread Starter

Question regarding windshield fogging.

The windshield on my LT seems to fog over after sitting in my garage for a few days. I re-polish it but it comes back. I asked a BMW tech about it and he said it is because I am using Plexus on a polycarbonate shield. He advised to remove all the "wax" with windex and from now on use only water to clean.

Your views?
Thanks

Larry Kniess
Beaverton, Oregon
BMOA #161285
2001 Honda 750 Nighthawk - SOLD
2001 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2003 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2007 UNI-GO trailer - SOLD
2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited
2011 Aspen Sentry Camper
2009 Suzuki 650DL-ABS V-Strom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jan 16th, 2011, 10:05 am

Re: regarding windshield fogging.

Don't use windex, it will play havic with the protective coating on your OEM sheild. Anything like plexus will clean and to on clear but the problem is it traps the moisture and creates the fog. Best wisdom is use nothing but hot H2O. Now what to use to get the wax or plexus off? Not sure but I would try something like dawn before windex. I'm sure someone else will have an opinion.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #3 of 11 Old Jan 16th, 2011, 10:20 am

Garage

I just re-clean mine every time before I go riding. ***sigh***

post #4 of 11 Old Jan 16th, 2011, 10:34 am
Sit

I believe denatured alcohol or isopropyl alcohol will help with the fogging as it will strip the plexis and help pull water from any coating on the screen. I used it on my original BMW screen and it worked fine. Did not fog after wards and just used soap and water to clean it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1989 K100RS - Blue & White
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold
post #5 of 11 Old Jan 16th, 2011, 7:24 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Re: regarding windshield fogging.

Almost 5 years on and my screen remains fog free and as new. I use plexus. One note though, as stated it will seal in moisture creating the problem of fogging. I use my hot air gun to evenly warm the screen both sides to remove any trapped moisture first. Just water to clean between applications too. HTH

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #6 of 11 Old Jan 16th, 2011, 9:42 pm

I was in Compact Disc manufacturing. My introduction to Plexus was as a cleaner for the POLYCARBONATE discs.
post #7 of 11 Old Jan 16th, 2011, 11:26 pm
Super Moderator

The stock BMW windshield while being polycarbonate does have a thin film on both sides. So when you think you are actually treating, cleaning, washing and polishing polycarbonate you are not - you are messing with the thin film coating - of which I do not know its composition.

The combination of film and polycarbonate has the ability to fog up and this is dependent upon age of the windshield, atmospheric conditions and what has been used to clean / polish the windshield - so owners in various climates can expect to experience different conditions. That is why some owners who decide not to follow the manuals recommendation may not experience fogging while others who do follow the manuals recommendation may experience fogging.

The windshield will trap moisture under various storage and riding conditions. Best way to remove the fog / moisture is IPA (Isopropal Alcohol) - buy it at your local drug store - cheap. The trick is to let is sit in a saturated condition for a few minutes.

As for recommended cleaning solutions - well that like an oil thread lots of opinions and experiences - but the MANUAL says use only water. That's all I use - warm does help.

Go search this topic and you will have reading materials for several hours!!
Remember this is for BMW stock windshields as no one else makes this combination of polycarbonate and film construction.
Lots of riders forget they changed out their stock units and are recommending procedures for windshield that are not like BMW's.

My 2 cents . . .

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #8 of 11 Old Jan 17th, 2011, 11:04 am

This seems to be more of a problem on the earlier bikes. My 03 had that issue when I bought and I was fortunate enough to have enough warranty left that the dealer replaced it. THe replacements are from National Cycle. And I have used Honda polish on this one ever since. I emailed national cycles and asked and the tech recommended that and said he ised it on his own.

If you can't get it to go away and decide to spring for a new one, be real careful about what you use on it. I think the replacements don;t have the film on them that fogs, but I do not know this for certain.

Seems like IF (once) they fog, it becomes an ongoiing issue.

Randy
post #9 of 11 Old Jan 17th, 2011, 12:11 pm

I've found Honda Polish to be far more effective than Plexus for removing bugs and keeping a no-stick film on everything--paint and windscreens. Never fogs over, hides light swirl marks.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #10 of 11 Old Jan 17th, 2011, 12:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez
I've found Honda Polish to be far more effective than Plexus for removing bugs and keeping a no-stick film on everything--paint and windscreens. Never fogs over, hides light swirl marks.
Good stuff and less expensive than Plexus but as I understand, using it on polycarbonate wind screens can result in the same fogging issues as using Plexus. Although in the SW with the associated dryness, moisture being trapped and resulting fogging may be less of an issue. I wonder if this is true?

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547

Last edited by Gizmo1137; Jan 17th, 2011 at 12:32 pm. Reason: grammar
post #11 of 11 Old Jan 18th, 2011, 8:04 am

Larry, tis true that isopropyl alchohol will clean the fog off your windscreen. The idea is that the alcohol absorbs the moisture(fog) trapped on the surface of the coating.

Get the good stuff, 90+%,and you will be set.

When I bought my '01 the windshield was in pretty crappy shape. I made it better, far from perfect, but better by using Gorilla brand duct tape to remove the coating. It doesn't fog up anymore!

Use the alcohol on the display window for the radio when it fogs up. Sme have reported using a piece of clear tape over the radio window to extend the clearshipness of the display,

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in