new to the site looking to buy one. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Jan 15th, 2011, 5:46 pm Thread Starter

new to the site looking to buy one.

First off, My name is chris and i have been scouring the site for a few days to learn all i can before asking any questions. that said i am looking at this bike http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/mcy/2150396292.html or
http://www.motoworkschicago.com/new_...28&pov=1820892 its being sold on consignment by Motoworks in chicago (the second link)

first off, thanks for any help. Now the large amount of miles is disturbing, but they say it has a good maintenance record and it averages to 12k or so a year. Also the new tires/ battery line is comforting. reverse doesnt concern me so much but i guess it would be better if it worked. the guy said that it doesnt do anything when tried. It sounds to me like it may not be plugged in. who knows. I havent seen it in person yet but am planning on looking at it on tuesday night. other than obvious fluid level/ quality stuff is there anything else i should be mindful of. I have read about the final drives but i dont think there is a way for me to tell right away if its bad or not. the clutch leak thing should be easy to spot. what things go bad on a high mileage bmw that dont go bad on a lower mileage one? Is that too high a price or have i just let out the deal of the century? Around here there arent many of these for sale especially in the winter and from what i am seeing they go from 4500 to 7000 in the 35k to 75k range so i think the price reflects mileage. anyway thanks for reading my ramblings and for any input. Oh and if this is someone on here selling this let me know how it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Jan 15th, 2011, 5:55 pm

Re: new to the site looking to buy one.

Hi Chris and welcome...

Just a few things come to mind. 1. The reverse is not working. The miles and the price.... If you are adapt at working on the bike, it might be a good deal. It would not be hard though, to put several $1,000 in repairs, so why not spend the money now, say 4-6,000 for a newer bike with a lot less miles that has everything working?

I don't know about the reverse, but if it were easy to fix, the dealer would have already fixed it! Just an fyi on the reverse, I use mine.. If you park on an incline it is very helpful in backing up.

Just a few thoughts..

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #3 of 26 Old Jan 15th, 2011, 8:57 pm Thread Starter

as far as working on it myself im not too concerned. Ive been a subaru tech for 11 years now, and have been doing all of my own work on my bikes. just looking for something a little bigger with fairing and a comfortable yet sporty feel. I am also an opportunist, and this looks like a good opportunity to pick up what seems to be a good model of bike for cheap.

93 katana 600 wrecked
82 v45 magna sold (never should have)
80 xj650 maxim sold but not forgotten
99 K1200LT Lovin' it!
any @ss can ride fast, it takes a pro to ride slow... one day i could be that pro.

post #4 of 26 Old Jan 16th, 2011, 12:10 am

Chris...sooner or later you will need reverse--unless of course you can move 800 lbs. up hill easily. That being said...if you can wrench then Clymer's has a manuel and there is plenty of knowledge here on the forum to help you along the way. It is true however, the parts for this bike are very expensive and it easy to rack up a pretty good bill quickly.

I also have a 99 and she is a great bike. My two cents only here...for the money and if she runs well and I could wrench like you...then I would go for it!!

You will love her...

Wade
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 26 Old Jan 16th, 2011, 5:52 am

If the reverse contoller is bad, it isn't cheap:

01 61352305889 CONTROL UNIT BACKUP ASSISTANCE 3.53 1 $1345.86

Beemerbone yard might have a used one for less.

There are bikes with much less mileage for just a couple grand more out there. I'd shop around a little more.

With that many miles, I'd rebuild the final drive preemptively if you plan on venturing far from home. The way to check for FD problems is look for shiney metal flakes on the FD drain plug. Also, with bike on centerstand, push rear brake pads away from the rotor and then slowly spin the wheel with your hands on it to feel for any roughness.

However, if the price is the deal maker for you and you are happy to wrench it might be a good bike for you.

Last edited by CharlieVT; Jan 16th, 2011 at 6:02 am.
post #6 of 26 Old Jan 16th, 2011, 7:29 am

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum. I tried the Craig list link and it has been removed? I did look at the other link. All the advice the other members have given you is very valid. My personal opinion: the bike is heavy and reverse is a vital function and should work. The miles are high and it uses oil I think the price is high. If you really want a project bike, maybe you can offer around $1800 to $2000. I would shop around also. Check the classifieds on this forum and ebay.

The LT is a fantastic touring bike and has been discontinued by BMW. There aint no more being made so keep that in mind. IMO, they will increase in value. Let us know how you do with your endeavour.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #7 of 26 Old Jan 16th, 2011, 9:46 am

Personally even with your wrenching skills I would stay away from it because while you obviously can save yourself the labor costs, parts can be very expensive. For example the reverse controller already quoted is an example. As others have said, you will want a working reverse. I am on my second LT and have used reverse infrequently, but when I have, I really needed it such as even a slight incline or loose gravel are times that come to mind when reverse is essential. I would look to spend a little more and find one in good working order, there are plenty out there.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #8 of 26 Old Jan 16th, 2011, 12:50 pm

Chris,
+1 on what others have said here. There may not be many LTs around Chicago, but there are more available the farther out you go. If you have the time, you could fly to where an LT is and ride it home or drive there and trailer it home. (I know I'll get flamed for that! ) There are members here all across the country that might be willing to evaluate an LT before you put money on it or travelled long distance to see it. Never hurts to ask. Best of luck, whatever your decision.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #9 of 26 Old Jan 17th, 2011, 5:18 pm Thread Starter

thanks to everyone for the posts. I am going to look at it tuesday 1/18 around 5:30 or so. Ill try to remember to let you all know what i decided I have been thinking about this entirely too much lately so i will have to make sure i take off my rose colored glasses before looking at the bike.

that said even if i have to put some money into it, it would be an improvement for me over the xj. I feel like a gorilla riding on that bike. a 6'5" 280lb dude riding a 450lb bike looks like the shriners are in town. Again, gotta stay objective.

93 katana 600 wrecked
99 K1200LT Lovin' it!
any @ss can ride fast, it takes a pro to ride slow... one day i could be that pro.
post #10 of 26 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 6:59 pm Thread Starter

so i looked at it and the service history. it smokes at startup and gets almost clear withing 5 min but didnt seem to go totally away. I kind of expected that with the mileage. new tires new brakes recent fork seals HID headlight, perf fuel map of some sort tons and tons of oil changes and that was just to 09. their records go back to 2006 and the person is the sole owner of the bike. I was told he was going on another trip with it which is why the new tires and brakes and then he found a concours he wanted. now has two bikes and only room for one apparently. as the ad said no reverse at all but i pushed it backwards on a flat surface (not a hill i know) and had absolutely no problem. I made the mistake of sitting on it and now i really want it. I offered 2600. Ill find out tomorrow if he accepts. as for waiting and getting a lower mileage one. It would probably be a good idea but i havent seen many of these for sale at all let alone for less than $5000 and i dont have that kind of money to spend all at once (I would also prefer not to have a loan on a motorcycle) so thats the update i promised in case anyone out there is still interested.

93 katana 600 wrecked
99 K1200LT Lovin' it!
post #11 of 26 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 9:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsucharda
so i looked at it and the service history. it smokes at startup and gets almost clear withing 5 min but didnt seem to go totally away.
If an LT is on the side stand, it will always smoke some at startup, just FYI. Mine does that, and it is a 2009 with 800 miles on it.
post #12 of 26 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 10:55 pm Thread Starter

yup, If this site has taught me one thing its that a side facing engine will likely burn oil (especially on startup on the side stand) I would also imagine that if you were to continually circle to the left you may eventually get some smoke after an excessively long time circling.

93 katana 600 wrecked
99 K1200LT Lovin' it!
post #13 of 26 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 5:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatzo
The LT is a fantastic touring bike and has been discontinued by BMW. There aint no more being made so keep that in mind. IMO, they will increase in value. Let us know how you do with your endeavour.
Increase in value?....

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #14 of 26 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 7:40 am

Maybe I should have said "become more valuable"? Supply and demand! I think once the supply of good used LTs slows down, folks will want them even more. I, personally am not excited about the GTL, but then I am an old man and do not like change as much anymore.

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)
post #15 of 26 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 7:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatzo
Maybe I should have said "become more valuable"? Supply and demand! I think once the supply of good used LTs slows down, folks will want them even more. I, personally am not excited about the GTL, but then I am an old man and do not like change as much anymore.
Yes, as time goes on they will definitely become more difficult to find. Especially in great condition and with low miles.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #16 of 26 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 7:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKilpatrick
If an LT is on the side stand, it will always smoke some at startup, just FYI. Mine does that, and it is a 2009 with 800 miles on it.
The guy at Dream Machines told me to NOT start it on the side stand because it would smoke. They didnt tell you the same?
post #17 of 26 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 8:41 am

If it has been sitting on the side stand for any length of time, it will probably smoke when you start it. Best thing is to switch off when in the vertical position, remove your gloves, and do what ever before you put it on the side stand. I do this all the time now and very rarely ever get smoke.

I start it on the side stand all the time like after gassing up, going into a store or a restaurant. No smoke if I switched off vertical.

I park the bike in my garage on the center stand.

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)
post #18 of 26 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 5:48 pm Thread Starter

all good advice. so I pulled the trigger. I pick it up on tuesday, so long as there isnt snow on the roads. Im looking forward to the maiden (for me) ride home despite the forcasted high of 28F. I am hoping that the combo of my cold gear and the bikes fairing make my ride home a safe and reasonably pleasant one. well that should do it until i get the bike

93 katana 600 wrecked
99 K1200LT Lovin' it!
post #19 of 26 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 7:08 pm

You are going to love it! As a matter of fact the hardest thing for you and me will be waiting for better weather! Right now my alley is Ice bound and I don't usually want to wrestle the beast on
the slippery stuff.
I live near Midway and have an 07'. If you ever want to get together and ride or jaw or whatever, drop me a line .I am through Downers Grove all the time. Enjoy!
Tom Czerniak
post #20 of 26 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 11:02 pm

Congrats

You will enjoy your ride see you around.

2005 K1200LT
2002 r1150gs Just for fun
1997 Heritage Soft tail Resting in Europe
1996 Heritage Soft tail For my Ego days
post #21 of 26 Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 4:20 am

Chris, welcome to the party! I wouldn't get rid of the Maxim if I were you. I have an '81 650 and it feels like a moped after riding the LT. When you climb on the Maxim you get this feeling that you can just pick it up and put it where you want it to be. Besides, you would miss keeping those four carbs clean and in tune!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #22 of 26 Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 11:59 am
Super Moderator

On your way to pick up the pick I would check out the exact route you plan to take on the way to its new home.

If there is the slightest chance of ice don't do it. In fact I would follow home the car you drove and have them
as a lookout with pre arranged signals in the event some one tossed out liquids or ice!!

I do not know a rider on this form that can keep a K1200LT up on ice!!!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #23 of 26 Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 12:58 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinazzo
I do not know a rider on this form that can keep a K1200LT up on ice!!!
Riding across ice patches during daylight is manageable on any bike. The LT is to heavy to turn on ice in my opinion but in a straight line is ok. The reason I say daylight is you need enough sight distance to be ready to pull the clutch in and coast across the ice. I rode across a bridge with ice on it this morning it was on a curve and I started on the inside & rode in a straight line ending up near the centerline of the road on the other side of the bridge.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #24 of 26 Old Jan 24th, 2011, 6:30 pm

I rode my new LT down an ice covered sidewalk to my front door to put bike inside my house for some customization til the salt is off the roads.
post #25 of 26 Old Jan 27th, 2011, 6:21 pm Thread Starter

well i made it home ok with the bike intact. I still havent played with reverse but I can get both feet flat and push it with no trouble so i will get to that at some point in the future. ran great on the highway it was pretty dry the whole way home with the exception of the alley way that the shop uses. go figure. I got it home played with the features on it a bit. turns out the speakers arent completely blown. the guy had base and treble all the way up with loudness function on.. the corbin heated seat and heated grips are great. it was 30F on the display and i could barely tell at up to 70mph. It also helps that i wear all my gear. I will have to get used to the clutch a bit though. my cable operated one wore to my liking on the other bike. this one i may have to learn to do it whe way it likes. it even came with the alarm FOB. I probably wont use it much but its good to have. alarms can be so finnicky. I do have one more question though. Why is it that the radio can be turned on and off without the key in the ignition? is this normal or did someone do some rewiring? Anyway, cant wait till spring and i hope to see some of you around.

93 katana 600 wrecked
99 K1200LT Lovin' it!
post #26 of 26 Old Jan 27th, 2011, 6:27 pm Thread Starter

Oh and here are pics as the links probably dont work anymore
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw 1200.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	30279   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMWK1200LT1999.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	30280  

93 katana 600 wrecked
99 K1200LT Lovin' it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in