New to forum - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jan 15th, 2011, 2:58 pm Thread Starter

New to forum

Hi name is Ricky and I just bought a 1999 K1200lt for 3600. I think I got an ok deal. I also have a 2004 Big Dog Chopper for the short runs. The only problem I have is the ABS is blinking back and forth and does not stop. I read all the other post on it and checked the battery and it has a full charge. Brake fluid is full. Brake seem to work just fine though. Unless anyone else has any ideas I will go ahead and take it to the dealer to check it out. I will post the result since it seams to be a problem off an on on the forum. Does anyone have any ideas for replacement speakers. MIne sound as if they are all cracked. Thanks in advance for any help and I will try to conribute as much as I can to help out my fellow BMW owner.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jan 15th, 2011, 3:13 pm

Re: New to forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRodri43772
Hi name is Ricky and I just bought a 1999 K1200lt for 3600. I think I got an ok deal. I also have a 2004 Big Dog Chopper for the short runs. The only problem I have is the ABS is blinking back and forth and does not stop. I read all the other post on it and checked the battery and it has a full charge. Brake fluid is full. Brake seem to work just fine though. Unless anyone else has any ideas I will go ahead and take it to the dealer to check it out. I will post the result since it seams to be a problem off an on on the forum. Does anyone have any ideas for replacement speakers. MIne sound as if they are all cracked. Thanks in advance for any help and I will try to conribute as much as I can to help out my fellow BMW owner.
Thanks
Ricky,

First of all, welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase. I also have a 99 and I love her. I cannot answer your inquiry from my limited knowledge base...I do think that I read a way to reset the ABS fault but I cant remember if it was on a LT or RT. I will do some checking and perhaps others who are much smarter than me will chime in.

Wade
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 Old Jan 15th, 2011, 3:19 pm

Try this Ricky--it will not fix a mechanical problem but it will give you the problem and reset the fault. If the problem is not fixed it will just set off the fault again...but it's worth a try. I found this by using the search section and typed in 'resetting ABS fault' Good luck...and may the force be with you.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ting+ABS+fault

Wade

99 K-1200LT

post #4 of 21 Old Jan 15th, 2011, 3:21 pm

Welcome aboard Ricky. Sounds like you got a good deal even with the blinking lights. I will have to follow Wade on the fix, I'm not sure either. My RT had a reset procedure, but I do not know on an LT. Fortunately for you, me, and Wade, the 99s have a nice simple brake system.

Are you getting the CLANK in the brakes when you first take off? That is the self test kicking in and is supposed to be there.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #5 of 21 Old Jan 15th, 2011, 5:34 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. I will see if I am brave enough to try it. I do not here
The sound when I take off. I will check again tomorrow
Thanks
post #6 of 21 Old Jan 15th, 2011, 7:07 pm

Make sure that you check both brake fluid reserves. The main one is under the rear seat. At least it is on my 2002. When my rear reserve is low, my lights start to flash.

There are two places to fill for the rear reserve.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #7 of 21 Old Jan 15th, 2011, 8:07 pm

Howdy from Tucson

On my 00, if the rear reservoir gets just a little low, it starts blinking..

Its s a little difficult to get the the reservoir But, its a simple DIY,

The black cap poops off. There is a black diaphragm inside the neck. If I remember correctly, add fluid 'till the diaphragm touches the fluid.

Brake fluid must be DOT4. Same fro the clutch.

As always, brake fluid eats paint.

On our bikes, 99 and 00 it is easy to change both the front and rear brake fluid. It is also to change the clutch fluid.

If your bike hasn't had the rubber brake lines replaced, plan on doing that very soon. Fortunately, with separate font and back brake systems, on can go out and we can still brake.

Many times the crackly sound from the speakers can be fixed by taking the male and female connectors apart, for both front and rear, cleaning them with DeOxit or ProGold, and coating the pins with electrical grease (from an automotive store).

The 00s and 99s didn't come stock with a crash pan to protect the trany. You NEED!! one.

You will want to see if the defective designed starter relay and computer chip for the engine have been replaced. The stock relay will fuse shut if the batt voltage drops too low. The computer chip cause a hesitation when temps hit the 80s and up. The hesitation is around 2.2K RPM? Most anoying when making a right and or left hand turn into traffic.

Always keep the front wheel straight at low speeds. If not, you'll dump her. I've never been able to put my back to her when she's on her side and then push her upright with my legs.

My rear tany seal has been seeping since 02? I drilled a weep hole to make sure the drips would come out easily.

I bought “Speed Bleeders” to make changing the brake and clutch fluid easy. Two for the front and a different size for the rear; don't remember which size for the clutch.

Removing the tupperware with out an electric screw driver is a boring.

If the face on the radio is white, you can remove the white film with denatured alcohol and a Q-tip.

Oh!! If your top box latch hasn't broken, remove one of the two closure pins. If you don't the handle will break. No stock replacement handle for BMW.

I use BMW Max's on line parts pixs to look at exploded diagrams for many of the different.

I bought my 00 without heated seats. My 00 has the wiring harness fro heated seats, so I bought used ones. Your 99 might not have the connections for heated seats?

It's easy to change all of the fluids. But its a PITA because of all the stuff we have to remove.

Initially, I bought Paul Sale's?? tapes (for a VCR) to help me through normal maintenance.

Looking forward to hearing reports of you having a permanent smile when you ride her.

One day my wife told me that if I wanted her to keep riding with me, we needed a bike more comfortable than my HD.

We selected the LT.

The first thing I noticed was that I didn't have to compensate when I hit a bump while cornering.

I had to practice to get used to the anti lock brakes.

I used to have to stop riding my HD when temps went over 95F and under 50F. With my LT I ride all year long now.

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #8 of 21 Old Jan 16th, 2011, 12:16 am

What Bob said...(great write up)

Wade

99 K-1200LT

post #9 of 21 Old Jan 18th, 2011, 10:20 am Thread Starter

Bob,

Thanks for the great information. I found that the voltage was low on the battery even though it was fully charged and started fine. The guy i bought it from had replaced the battery about a year ago but it was not the right one. I got it replaced and had the computer reset by the dealer. I will be checking into the radio connections as you stated and the rest of the advise you have given. My bike does have the heated seat and grip. I also had a Harley Road King and wanted something that was more confert for the wife. This bike feels like a spaceship compared to the Harley.
Thanks for the help.
Ricky
post #10 of 21 Old Jan 18th, 2011, 10:43 am

Welcome, and glad you found a fix so quickly. Not making fun, but this just cracked me up:
"Hi name is Ricky and I just bought a 1999 K1200lt". It sounded like an introduction to an AA or some 12 step program. You hang in there Ricky, we'll get you through this!
post #11 of 21 Old Jan 18th, 2011, 11:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
"Hi name is Ricky and I just bought a 1999 K1200lt". It sounded like an introduction to an AA or some 12 step program. You hang in there Ricky, we'll get you through this!
"Hi my name is Paul and I own a 2009 K1200lt
I put 600 miles on this week will put on another 1250 next week.
I am been in recovery for a year now and this is my second attempt
This week I read every post on the BMWLT forums and contributed too much
I know I should cut back but my will is weak
I would like to thank my sponsor DIVERDAN for running the tech session a few weeks ago, The session went a long way in helping my recovery"

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #12 of 21 Old Jan 18th, 2011, 12:00 pm Thread Starter

I know, I laughed myself after posting and reading it again. Not sure where I came up with that from.
post #13 of 21 Old Jan 18th, 2011, 2:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

My '99 used 5 speed bleeders, all the same size (4 for ft & bk; 1 clutch). Check out www.speedbleeder.com. Great customer service when you call.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #14 of 21 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 6:59 am Thread Starter

My good news turned bad. The ABS lights came back on and when I took it back it came back as the ABS pump going bad. About a $2500 fix. Not going to happen. I guess I will just live with a normal brake system until I can find a better price to get it fixed. Anyone know how to cut the blinking light off other than just placing a piece of tape on the screen. That still leave some light since there is space between the screen and the actual blinking light.
post #15 of 21 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 7:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleknight
"Hi my name is Paul and I own a 2009 K1200lt
I put 600 miles on this week will put on another 1250 next week.
I am been in recovery for a year now and this is my second attempt
This week I read every post on the BMWLT forums and contributed too much
I know I should cut back but my will is weak
I would like to thank my sponsor DIVERDAN for running the tech session a few weeks ago, The session went a long way in helping my recovery"
Thanks Paul,

But that was Dave Selvig, “Saddleman” who rode down from NC. Dave was responsible for the mini Tech Session on our way back from the RTE that Hans Ruys “SilverBuffalo” coordinated last week. I just took advantage of Dave and he was gracious enough to change my brake and clutch fluids and let us watch.

I too am an addict and thanks to this forum, I’m getting help.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #16 of 21 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 1:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRodri43772
My good news turned bad. The ABS lights came back on and when I took it back it came back as the ABS pump going bad. About a $2500 fix. Not going to happen. I guess I will just live with a normal brake system until I can find a better price to get it fixed. Anyone know how to cut the blinking light off other than just placing a piece of tape on the screen. That still leave some light since there is space between the screen and the actual blinking light.
Hi Ricky & welcome.

For a bike as old as yours (1999) I would perform a complete brake caliper flush & bleed followed by a control unit (ABS unit) flush & bleed. It is rather simple to do and will cure many ill's. If there is any air in the control unit or it is low (there is a brake fluid reservoir in the control unit) on fluid the warning light will come on. All you need is 2 quarts of dot 4 and read the forum and hopefully someone in your area can aid with the process. My 2006 has 4 reservoirs, two in the control unit, one at the hand brake, & one behind the right rear saddle bag for the rear brake.

I hope to ride with you soon!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #17 of 21 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 2:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Thanks Paul,

But that was Dave Selvig, “Saddleman” who rode down from NC. Dave was responsible for the mini Tech Session on our way back from the RTE that Hans Ruys “SilverBuffalo” coordinated last week. I just took advantage of Dave and he was gracious enough to change my brake and clutch fluids and let us watch.

I too am an addict and thanks to this forum, I’m getting help.
See I am having memory losses already from my affliction.

Just Kidding, I remember who everyone was, I was calling you my AA sponser.

Oh never mind, I think I will have another drink...

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #18 of 21 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 4:26 am Thread Starter

Thanks Smokinjoe. I will put those thing on my list for things to do. I have ordered the repair manual to have a better idea of where everything is and how to get to them.
post #19 of 21 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 4:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatzo
Are you getting the CLANK in the brakes when you first take off? That is the self test kicking in and is supposed to be there.
CLANK??...I've had 2 LT's, my dad had 2, my buddy had 3 and none of them went CLANK when starting out.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #20 of 21 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 7:35 am

Your right, I was thinking of the RT.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #21 of 21 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 7:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Make sure that you check both brake fluid reserves. The main one is under the rear seat. At least it is on my 2002. When my rear reserve is low, my lights start to flash.

There are two places to fill for the rear reserve.
The 2002 has an entirely different braking system than the '99. The '99 system only has one rear brake reserve.

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in