Bad Experiance Avon Storm Ultra 2 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Jan 14th, 2011, 10:45 pm Thread Starter

Bad Experiance Avon Storm Ultra 2

Due to a last minute change in plans I mounted the new Storms last Friday night and left Saturday at 5:15am for an 800mi. ride from here in Camarillo to Tonopah NV via Death Valley. Should have road tested before departure but hay, I have mounted to many sets to remember.

Up till this point I had been running biased Metzlers. Here in So.Cal wet riding isn't much of an issue, so I have stuck with them for the last 55kmi.

Just a few miles into the ride I notice the front end kinda wiggling back and forth at slow speeds. Get to the first stop and check everything and all seems fine. Every stop there after keep doing the same. First thought it maybe just the change over to a radial tire and I'm reading too much into what's going on. Now I'm thinking I should have just turned around and packed it in. Checked pressures and nothing seemed to make a difference. Long story short the tire has exesive lateral runout and have put on one of the old Metzles to confirm the bad tire.

As far as Tonopah NV on the second weekend of January awesome ride. Crazy riding 400+mi for snow and 22deg. temps. Here in So.Cal the weather does get kind of boring.

Will I pull off a dumb stunt like no road test again ? Who knows I did have fun even though it was a bit unnerving. Anyone else have any issues with these new tires?

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34 14 12.63 N
119 01 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Jan 15th, 2011, 6:07 am

Re: Bad Experiance Avon Storm Ultra 2

I have 7K on a set of avon ultra storm 2s' and everything is well. I have been pleased with them.

Bill Dowdy
2014 RT
2006 LT
2000 HD Ultra Classic
post #3 of 23 Old Jan 15th, 2011, 7:00 am

It seems that using the Storm front tires is a very hit and miss situation. After 5 of their front tires I switched over to a Michellin Pilot Road 2 on the front in combination with the Storm 2 rear tire and that has worked great for me.

Ron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383

post #4 of 23 Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 6:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomadman

As far as Tonopah NV on the second weekend of January awesome ride. Crazy riding 400+mi for snow and 22deg. temps. Here in So.Cal the weather does get kind of boring.
Hey Craig,

Rodney told about that ride and I was considering on doing it with you. Did he tell you I got a K1300 GT? Let me know about next year if you guys do it again. A little more notice if you can.

Randy C
post #5 of 23 Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 7:38 pm

On my second set of Storm 2's .... IMO great tires

Get Warranted and try them again, once you have ridden radials in the twisties you will NEVER go back to bias tires !!

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T
wisties Required

post #6 of 23 Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 7:46 pm

+1. Still on my first set...but come spring I'll get them worn down before a June 4K trip to Wyoming, Utah & back to Alberta on a new set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead

Get Warranted and try them again, once you have ridden radials in the twisties you will NEVER go back to bias tires !!

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

post #7 of 23 Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 8:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead

I agree - Hoss and Uncle Mark tried to talk me into Storm 2's over a few sets of Metz. Finally made the change, and I'll never go back! Storms are so nice in the twisties!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #8 of 23 Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 7:33 am

They are hit and miss. I liked them so much I had them on both bikes. Then, I needed a second set on K11 and the front end did just as you said and I was on a trip to Utah. It wasn't immediately, but as the miles started, under 1k I started feeling the bars moving at slow speeds and progressively got worse. Was so unnerving in the Colorado mountains, I couldn't enjoy the trip. I ended up having two fronts warrantied, which they are good about but your w/out that tire for a month. So, I've went back to Pilot Road 2's on both bikes. No more issues. I did like that first set a lot.

Tim

1996 K1100RS
2001 Triumph Sprint ST
post #9 of 23 Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 7:27 pm Thread Starter

Ordered a second Avon to get back on the road ASAP. Warranty through mail order purchase may take awhile. Hoping it was just a bad run of tires. Thanks for some input on your experiences with the Storms.

Randog... Thinking about Tucson in March to check out the Pima Air Museum. http://www.pimaair.org/ Wives wanted to go, but came up with a nice diversion/adversion. Told them were going to stay the night at the Titan Missile Museum just down the road. They let you stay the night something like 8 stories down in the old crews quarters in the launch complex. http://www.titanmissilemuseum.org/

Craig Hutchison
34 14 12.63 N
119 01 21.64 W

post #10 of 23 Old Feb 4th, 2011, 8:56 am

I posted in another Avon thread that I had spoken with an Avon tech who specifically advised me NOT to use their tires on the LT, that it was not approved for it even though it would "fit" it.

Sure, it's great that they are giving you guys replacement tires via warranty, and I think it's wonderful that they grip better when you're leaned over in curves, but cmon, is that risk worth it?

Of the people who are raving about how wonderful they are ("they are cheaper" and "they grip better" and "they last longer than ____") more than half of you have also posted over the last six months that you've had to return at least one because it split or cupped badly, or separated--and a number have posted that catastrophic failures have created dangerous situations that ruined trips and caused at least one crash.

Some of you guys sound like my teenager when she says "well my friend _____ does it and nothing bad ever happens to her, so I should be able to do it."

Is that little bit of extra performance and few more miles (which some have said they DON'T get) for a couple fewer dollars really worth riding on tires that you know aren't an approved tire for these motorcycles that could fail when you are pushing them to the limit--especially when you have a passenger onboard?

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #11 of 23 Old Feb 4th, 2011, 9:33 am

Quote:
... Just a few miles into the ride I notice the front end kinda wiggling back and forth at slow speeds. .... Long story short the tire has excessive lateral runout and have put on one of the old Metzelers to confirm the bad tire.... Anyone else have any issues with these new tires?...
This is an issue that can happen with any tire and I'd be loath to claim that every example of a particular brand/model is suspect.

I had the low/medium speed wobble experience a few years back on a Metzeler Marathon front tire on my LT and 2 seasons ago on a Continental Trail Attack on the GS.

The first one was either following installation or as a result of pothole impact; I was not sure. The second one was immediately after installation - either faulty tire or damage to the cords when mounting (installed by different dealers)..

Having experienced this twice in a span of less than ten front tires is an evidence for me that the problem is not uncommon, contrary to what I have been told. So now I know to simply change the tire if a problem like that occurs again and not to worry too much.

On the other hand, I agree with PeteVanDyke - the ME's work for me well and I have not been limited by their performance or lack thereof (maybe I am just a very timid rider..). So, even though they are kind of pricey, I keep mounting them on the LT.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

Last edited by rdwalker; Feb 4th, 2011 at 9:38 am.
post #12 of 23 Old Feb 4th, 2011, 10:15 am

Quote:
Ordered a second Avon to get back on the road ASAP. Warranty through mail order purchase may take awhile. Hoping it was just a bad run of tires. Thanks for some input on your experiences with the Storms.

Randog... Thinking about Tucson in March to check out the Pima Air Museum. http://www.pimaair.org/ Wives wanted to go, but came up with a nice diversion/adversion. Told them were going to stay the night at the Titan Missile Museum just down the road. They let you stay the night something like 8 stories down in the old crews quarters in the launch complex. http://www.titanmissilemuseum.org/
Just when I thought I knew everything about the old pueblo - that is VERY cool. You might want to consider combining that with a stay at a forest service cabin in nearby Madera Canyon which is a bird watcher's paradise: Facility Details - Recreation.gov, Kent Springs Cabin (AZ) - Recreation.gov This one can handle 8 people.

My wife and I did something similar and stayed in a light house a few years back off of Highway 1 on the coast and it was a blast.

I've found finding off the wall places to stay is the BEST way to get my wife fired up for a cool tour. At least a couple of nice bed and breakfast are always on the menu.

We're going to be heading south this spring to Banamichi, Mexico for a week and staying at an American owned and managed biker friendly hotel: Hotel Los Arcos de Sonora

Sure beats the ol' cookie cutter hotel routine.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #13 of 23 Old Feb 4th, 2011, 10:18 am

Here's my $0.02.
The best tires I ever ran on my LT were Bridgestone 020s. But they lasted less than 3,000 miles, so unless I'm going to run a track day, I'll never buy them again.
Have always been happy with Metz on the LT and my Harley. Tried the Avon last year just before a 3,500 mile trip. Wasn't unhappy with them, but wasn't happy either. Noisy, track ruts worse than Metz (I think), and "just don't feel good" - can't quite put my finger on that one, just don't like 'em.
As far as sticking better than Metz, I have to say that my Metz have never slipped, so how much stickier do I need? On the Metz I managed to drag holes in the lower fairing without a problem, and I tend to think that that's as far over as I'll ever get (at least while staying upright).
The Metz seem to last me right at 9,000 miles. The Storms are at just a hair over that, but I won't be taking off on any long distances without replacing them, so the mileage, to me, isn't all that much better.
I do believe I'm going back to the Metz this spring. Not at all upset with the Avon, just a personal preference to stick with the Metz.
post #14 of 23 Old Feb 4th, 2011, 3:56 pm Thread Starter

The Avon replacement should be delivered tonight and I will mount it in the morning. Thanks guys for all the input on your experiences with this tire. At this point I'm committed to running the coarse with a complete change over to to the Avons. I can always go back to the Metzs if they don't pan out.

Ron: The whole premise on staying in the missile silo for the night is to exclude the wives on this ride. But thanks for the link anyhow. Next time after a through recon of the area we can invite the So's and have that kinda fun time. My experience is wives and vintage airplanes aren't the best mix.....

Craig Hutchison
34 14 12.63 N
119 01 21.64 W

post #15 of 23 Old Feb 5th, 2011, 11:13 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: (NOT)Bad Experiance Avon Storm Ultra 2

Whoa! 200mi. up our own local dragon (hyway 33) for lunch and back home and must say I'm impressed so far with the radials. I just hope I get the longevity out of them like the Metzlers..

I do use this bike for my daily commute so, I'm wandering if this multicompound tire is any more resistent to flat siding from running the slabs?

Craig Hutchison
34 14 12.63 N
119 01 21.64 W

post #16 of 23 Old Feb 6th, 2011, 8:30 am

Re: (NOT)Bad Experiance Avon Storm Ultra 2

Quote:
My experience is wives and vintage airplanes aren't the best mix.....
Strange, mine would kick my ass if I left her home to spend the night in a missile silo and look at airplanes.

I had a similar problem with an Avon Azaro many years ago, and haven't with any other tire. That's not enough data points to form a conclusion, just another something to toss into this thread. That was on a CBR1100XX which had a special version of the Azaro due to its weight and speed. Some guys would run the regular version "because it's stickier" and then run into issues and short mileage. I recall at least one catastrophic failure, but can't blame the tire, blame the guy using the wrong tire.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #17 of 23 Old Apr 25th, 2011, 4:51 pm
Sit

Just checked my Avons after a trip over the weekend as I have been noticing a shake in the front tire during low speed braking and moderate cornering. Both front and back have very noticeable ridges on them, two on both sides for a total of four ridges per tire, not the normal two when a tire starts to flatten out.

The front is beyond cupped from what I have seen. For the most part there are sections in between the two ridges that look new, other smalls sections are down nearly to the wear indicators. Back tire has the ridges, but no funny wear beyond that. When I mounted the tires, contacted Avon and asked them what pressure to run and have been running them at that pressure the entire time. Total miles on tires, 2800.

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1989 K100RS - Blue & White
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold
post #18 of 23 Old Apr 27th, 2011, 11:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
I posted in another Avon thread that I had spoken with an Avon tech who specifically advised me NOT to use their tires on the LT, that it was not approved for it even though it would "fit" it.

Sure, it's great that they are giving you guys replacement tires via warranty, and I think it's wonderful that they grip better when you're leaned over in curves, but cmon, is that risk worth it?

Of the people who are raving about how wonderful they are ("they are cheaper" and "they grip better" and "they last longer than ____") more than half of you have also posted over the last six months that you've had to return at least one because it split or cupped badly, or separated--and a number have posted that catastrophic failures have created dangerous situations that ruined trips and caused at least one crash.

Some of you guys sound like my teenager when she says "well my friend _____ does it and nothing bad ever happens to her, so I should be able to do it."

Is that little bit of extra performance and few more miles (which some have said they DON'T get) for a couple fewer dollars really worth riding on tires that you know aren't an approved tire for these motorcycles that could fail when you are pushing them to the limit--especially when you have a passenger onboard?

OK. i can't let this go by. there's too much opinion masquerading as fact and too many errors.

the avon rep you spoke with is only half right. the storms are approved fitment for the 99-04 LTs which came with factory radials. they are NOT appoved fitment for the 05 and outs where the front end geometry was changed to 'improve' low speed handling, and the factory did not fit OE radials.

this isn't subjective -- go check the avon web site in the UK where they have a fitment identified and this is what you will see. in the UK and other EU countries 'approved fitment' carries the force of law -- the tire/bike combo must be tested and approved by the cogizant government testing agencies.

net/net is that the Storms DO have the correct service ratings and are legally tested and approved fitments for LTs that came with factory radial tires.

every tire company has some degree of quality issues. look at the history on this board and you'll see bridgestone delaminations and blow outs, dunlop failures, and avons that exhibited squirrely wear and stress failures.

i had an avon front break a belt - avon replaced it. i've had a bridgestone break a belt - they told me to pound sand.

everyone makes their own determination as to what constitutes acceptable risk.

personally, i don't care about tread life on motorcycles. traction and handling is EVERYTHING. if i can ride my way out of an accident because i can turn or stop as quickly as my skills and equipment will permit, that is a great deal less risky than having the bike go down in the road or hit something because i didn't have enough traction or agility. i have done exactly that at least a half dozen times over the last 30 years and i wouldn't be here if it wasn't so.

for me, the avons are the only tires i will fit to my 2000 LT. they are a traction and handling edge that could save my life and could save my bike.

EVERY part on a motorcycle -- especially a 900 LB motorcycle that can go 120 mph -- can and will fail. check your equipment every time you ride. fix stuff if it breaks.

but my personal decision is to run the tire that gives my bikes the best traction and cornering. the storms are what make MY LT a keeper.

g.

greg shamieh boof # 93 k-whiner # 83
jefferson, maryland

2000 K1200LT --- "darkside"
75R90S -- "esssss"
73R75/5 -- "mojo"
post #19 of 23 Old Jun 8th, 2011, 12:12 am

Replaced my Avons and went back to Metzlers mid vacation in Vegas. Bad cupping and vibration after 5,000 miles. Tires actually went out of round. Will probably stick with Metzlers.
post #20 of 23 Old Jun 8th, 2011, 1:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmmm90s
for me, the avons are the only tires i will fit to my 2000 LT. they are a traction and handling edge that could save my life and could save my bike.

EVERY part on a motorcycle -- especially a 900 LB motorcycle that can go 120 mph -- can and will fail. check your equipment every time you ride. fix stuff if it breaks.

but my personal decision is to run the tire that gives my bikes the best traction and cornering. the storms are what make MY LT a keeper.

I agree, stick with what you are happy with, never had grief with my Metzlers for over 60k front or rear. Traction and handling are only really measured a mm short of failure, no? A fine line between I hope to never find too often! (Laid down several bikes on ice and gravel, 25-50 mph (ADV bikes), with only the road-rash scars to show!).

Going down sucks, hope never to feel it on this beastress!

2012 K1600GT

post #21 of 23 Old Aug 10th, 2011, 10:19 am

I just posted on another Avon thread regarding the Storm 2 Ultras on an 07 LT. My front tire wore out on the left side of the tire. I wrote to Avon and received an e-mail back from their head of sales. She advised me that Avon does not make a tire for the 04 and later LT. I just spoke to her on the phone and she was clear that Avon does NOT make a tire for those bikes. She stated that between changes to steering geometry and the ABS brakes the bike requires reinforced tires which Avon does not make. She suggested I contact the dealer that sold me the tires and see if they would give me a deal on a different tire for the front.

Just thought I'd pass that on. I'm going back to Metzlers

Joe Rowland
post #22 of 23 Old Jul 8th, 2012, 10:41 pm Thread Starter

After running them for 6.5k the cupping is just about to the unbearable point. I still have a brand new front tucked away in the garage. Wish I could mix it up with a different manufactures rear till all are worn out. I have been checking the pressures regularly.

Craig Hutchison
34 14 12.63 N
119 01 21.64 W

post #23 of 23 Old Jul 8th, 2012, 11:33 pm

On my 5th set, I consistently get 6k before the back is shot and the front is cupped badly, and I always replace both. I have an '05 LT and am totally aware of the recommendations from the manufacturer and this forum. I ride 2 up mostly, and loaded with gear much of the time. I think the Metz is a tougher tire for long distance high speed touring, but I love the performance in this tire overall. Will put on my 6th set just before my big trip in the Rockies next month, and will go 6k before I get home with shot shoes.

BMRBOB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in