LT Seat options - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Jan 14th, 2011, 9:19 am Thread Starter

LT Seat options

About a year ago I moved up from a 1984 R100RT to a 2006 LT and everything about the LT is as expected (great) except the rider seat. I have put 10K on it and am very surprised at how uncomfortable it is. I could go much further on my old RT than on the new LT. Is this something others have experienced and how did you correct it. After 2 hours I get a tingling sensation and it requires me to stop for a bit. The foot pegs have been lowered on the bike and I have added highway pegs but it doesn't help much.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Jan 14th, 2011, 9:30 am

Re: LT Seat options

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTony
About a year ago I moved up from a 1984 R100RT to a 2006 LT and everything about the LT is as expected (great) except the rider seat. I have put 10K on it and am very surprised at how uncomfortable it is. I could go much further on my old RT than on the new LT. Is this something others have experienced and how did you correct it. After 2 hours I get a tingling sensation and it requires me to stop for a bit. The foot pegs have been lowered on the bike and I have added highway pegs but it doesn't help much.
Thanks for any suggestions.
It seems that when BMW improved the bike in 2005 the seat got worse. Do a search on this forum for seats, then order an aftermarket seat made for you. Totally worth it. I have a Russell and love it. Others have seats made by Corbin, Mayer etc.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #3 of 24 Old Jan 14th, 2011, 9:50 am
Lifetime Supporter

I had the same experience with the seat on my 2007 LT. I ended up having a custom seat made by Rich's in Seattle. Expensive, but my butt thinks it's worth it for every mile. And you know what they say, when the butt is happy, everything is happy (ok, THEY don't say that, but I do.)

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)

post #4 of 24 Old Jan 14th, 2011, 10:11 am

I like my Rick Mayer seat, but you should also check out our boy Ron Miller's product (he's a site sponsor, so he supports this community), Kontour Seats. I have always heard great reviews on his work.

If you're new to the site, you might get to know Ron sooner or later. He's pretty quiet, and getting him to come out of his shell and voice his opinion can be a challenge...

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #5 of 24 Old Jan 14th, 2011, 4:02 pm

Ron recently did my seat. I haven't been able to take a trip yet; just around town.

So far, I can attest to the seat material more firm that a stock seat, more comfortable than stock, and flows more air under my but. That will be a welcome relief when the temps approach and go over 100F.

Plus to boot, it's a pleas to chat with him.

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #6 of 24 Old Jan 14th, 2011, 6:03 pm

This is why I can't buy an new K1600GTL. I have to wait until the aftermarket guys have one available for it. Never had a BMW with a comfortable seat for my butt. Never had that problem with any of the HD's I had in the past. And yes, I did some long mileage on them too.

Ultra LT
post #7 of 24 Old Jan 14th, 2011, 6:54 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I had my LT seat re-worked by Allen at Mean City Cycles in Maiden North Carolina 866-550-SEAT or meancitycycles.com. It's as comfortable as I need to ride all day long & get back on the next day for another full day of riding. I wanted to keep the stock vinyl cover & Allen was able to a very nice job for me. I probably have about 7000 miles on it now. He has several different hardness of memory foam and also offers a gel seat.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 24 Old Jan 14th, 2011, 7:09 pm

My seat is a 'Righ's Custom' made in Seattle. The difference from the stock seat is amazing. After an hour on the stock foam, I felt like I was sitting directly on the frame, I could almost feel the battery terminals. The Rich's seat has very firm foam and a heavy leather cover and although it feels a bit stiff when you first get on the bike, it keeps it's shape and is still comfortable hours later. They reuse the original seat heating system and it stil works great. As others have said, they are expensive but worth every penny. And I love the look of the real leather rather than vinyl.

Brian Purvis
Park City, Utah

'05 K1200LT
'03 R1150RT
'04 Husaberg 650FE

post #9 of 24 Old Jan 14th, 2011, 7:10 pm

I have an 06 with the Rick Mayer seat in grey leather (rider pillion). I believe you will need to judge the inseam adjustment that an aftermarket seat will create but let me know if you are willing to trade plius $$ as I may be thinking of selling.

Hope this helps...

Mugz

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #45711

2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #10 of 24 Old Jan 17th, 2011, 5:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTony
The foot pegs have been lowered on the bike and I have added highway pegs but it doesn't help much.
Please don't tell me you added Mick-O-Pegs and they don't help much. We have many customers who, after purchasing Mick-O-Pegs, decide they don't need to replace the seat. When your feet our lower, more of your weight is supported by your thighs and less is on your tail & pelvis bones.

When you're comfortable...Riding Is Wonderful

Joyfully, MOPMan (Jim Mick)
post #11 of 24 Old Jan 17th, 2011, 8:52 am

My 09 OEM seat and the pain it caused was so bad I considered getting rid of the bike I couldn't ride it like that others have said they don't have a problem with the OEM seat LOL I'm not one of those I guess.

Bought a Russel for it and couldn't be happier

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #12 of 24 Old Jan 17th, 2011, 10:55 am

I agree the seat stinks. I bought an 09 last year and the seat is terrible. I intend to get a custom seat at some point in the future but until then I am using the airhawk seat cushion. It is a lot less expensive than a custom seat. You might consider this.

David

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #13 of 24 Old Jan 17th, 2011, 1:16 pm

Sure ...... you have two LT seat options

1. suffer
2. get a custom seat

These seats are affectionately known as:
BMW's weapon of ass destruction.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #14 of 24 Old Jan 17th, 2011, 1:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
These seats are affectionately known as:
BMW's weapon of ass destruction.
I couldn't decide if that statement was more funny, or true... It's a tie!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #15 of 24 Old Jan 17th, 2011, 5:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have a 05LT with Rick Mayer Seat, Mick-O-Pegs and Back Up Backrest with 89K miles and enjoying every one. Butts are in all shapes & sizes - getting a bike set up that is comfortable for you may not fit everyone. In my twenties seats were not a factor but today getting comfortable for a long haul is more important..

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory – Growing Up is Optional
post #16 of 24 Old Jan 17th, 2011, 7:10 pm

I've tried a number of fixes over the last couple years. Sheep skin, beads, underwear. Each has helped to some degree but I still didn't get the long distance comfort I was looking for. I'm finally going the custom seat route and I'm leaning toward the Kontour seat. I like the mesh-like covering for hot weather.

Real McCoy

Realmccoy
07 LT storm gray
09 KLR red/black
post #17 of 24 Old Jan 18th, 2011, 12:57 pm

I have the BMW Comfort seat and its not too bad but it is separating a tiny bit. It has a heater in it. I bought a used regular BMW seat and am going to get a custom made some time before spring. I've decided to give MR. Ed's Moto a try. He is in Albany Oregon. I cant decide whether to get the Comfort seat done and keep the heater or just do the used one I bought without the heater. I have never used the seat heater, in fact, I do not even know if it works. I'm only getting the Pilots seat done, not the passenger. If at some time my sweetie thinks she will want to start riding, I may get the passenger seat done too.

Larry Kniess
Beaverton, Oregon
BMOA #161285
2001 Honda 750 Nighthawk - SOLD
2001 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2003 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2007 UNI-GO trailer - SOLD
2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited
2011 Aspen Sentry Camper
2009 Suzuki 650DL-ABS V-Strom
post #18 of 24 Old Jan 18th, 2011, 1:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkniess
I have the BMW Comfort seat and its not too bad but it is separating a tiny bit. It has a heater in it. I bought a used regular BMW seat and am going to get a custom made some time before spring. I've decided to give MR. Ed's Moto a try. He is in Albany Oregon. I cant decide whether to get the Comfort seat done and keep the heater or just do the used one I bought without the heater. I have never used the seat heater, in fact, I do not even know if it works. I'm only getting the Pilots seat done, not the passenger. If at some time my sweetie thinks she will want to start riding, I may get the passenger seat done too.
A seat guy should be able to add heat that will connect to your bike.
I believe that Corbin and Bill Mayer already do this.
Also, be aware that the seat pans are different (narrower) after 2005.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #19 of 24 Old Jan 18th, 2011, 1:51 pm

I realize the seat pans changed so I bought an earlier seat and tried it to see that it fits. I just do not know weather it is worth the $$ to keep heat.

Your views

Larry Kniess
Beaverton, Oregon
BMOA #161285
2001 Honda 750 Nighthawk - SOLD
2001 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2003 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2007 UNI-GO trailer - SOLD
2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited
2011 Aspen Sentry Camper
2009 Suzuki 650DL-ABS V-Strom
post #20 of 24 Old Jan 18th, 2011, 5:27 pm

I ride all year--use the heated seat a lot during our winter morning and evenings; also use it during early Spring and late Fall.

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #21 of 24 Old Jan 19th, 2011, 8:21 pm

Kontour and Mop's here and love it.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #22 of 24 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 4:01 am

Larry, keep the heat! You have the fancy hot pants but a lot of us are manly men (cheap) and use the set heater. Gets cold around these parts!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #23 of 24 Old Feb 5th, 2011, 4:39 pm

My 99LT came with a Corbin mounted and the stock seat in a box. The Corbin is soft like granite but somehow I can do tank after tank after tank on it. One day when I might have been drunk I took the Corbin off and put the stocker on. A half hour of not enjoyable seating later and the stocker came off and the Corbin has been on ever since. I think the big old tractor-style dish plus the rock-like "foam" actually works for me. YMMV.
post #24 of 24 Old Feb 6th, 2011, 2:35 pm
SEG

I have a Rich's Custom seat. My two previous bikes had Russell Day-Long seats. I thought this time around I'd try Rich's seat and I'm a satisfied customer. I'd give a slight edge to the Russell Day-Long saddles on comfort about 10 plus hours in the saddle but that is likely because I did a ride-in at the Russell Day-Long shop so I was able to test sit on the seat and they immediately tweaked the saddle. However I disliked the that the Russell Day-Long seats required a rain cover because they leak at the stitching; Rich's seats are waterproof. Overall, I'm very satisfied with Rich's seat, after about 36K miles on it. A custom seat is money very well spent.

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in