Clutch fluid change - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Jan 14th, 2011, 8:13 am Thread Starter

Clutch fluid change

Noob here. I just bought a 2002 with 43K mikes. Everything seems fine except the trunk latch. I will have to do the fix for that. The corner is already broken off. I am a long time BMW rider and do all of my own work. I am starting a 12k service and will be doing a brake and clutch fluid change. I found a great brake fluid change thread in the Halls of Wisdom. I can't seem to find anything on flushing the clutch fluid. They are both dark so I doubt that they have been done. I am looking for info on the coolant change also. Any help would be much appreciated. All of the other fluids were just changed by the PO which happens to be a good friend of mine. Excellent Forum. I am also a F650 rider and I though that was a good site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Jan 14th, 2011, 9:17 am

Re: Clutch fluid change

Greetings and welcome aboard. The clutch is very easy to do. When I ordered Speed Bleeders) for brakes, I ordered a 5th unit and permanently installed it in the clutch bleed line. The steps are in the Clymer manual, but you can get by with a little less work than they detail.

The clutch bleed line is located under the right side "tip over" wing. Remove the wing cover and you will see a tube with a piece of rubber surrounding the end and the whole thing ty-wrapped to the frame. Cut the zip tie and pull out the slack in the tube to get to it. As with doing the brakes, you need to turn the handle bars so the reservoir is as level as you can get it. I did not loosen and rotate the master cyl. as the book says. Look carefully at the mark inside the reservoir and do not over fill as you need to reinstall the cover which will displace some fluid.

The cooling system is a whole nother story. I thought I found a procedure in the archives some time back. Also look at the posts that appear below on the subject of cooling system flush.

Good luck.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #3 of 19 Old Jan 14th, 2011, 9:21 am
Lifetime Supporter

For the clutch fluid change, the right bottom plastic needs to come off to expose the line that has a grub screw on it. Heat the grub screw with hair dryer or similar device and replace with speedbleeder. Drain and fill same as brake lines. This procedure is written up or I wouldn't have had a clue as to how to do it.
Just going off memory, so there are probably details I may have missed.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

post #4 of 19 Old Jan 14th, 2011, 10:41 am

I just did this yesterday and didn't use speed bleeders or any other special tools. I put a clear hose on the existing grub screw nipple, put that into a container. I used a bungee to keep the hose pointed up slightly. Open the grub screw enough to allow fluid to flow but not wide open, keep a little resistance. Then I taped a funnel to the windscreen so the tip was over the hole in the master cylinder, letting me top it off quickly and preventing fluid from squirting out. Pump until it runs clear, close the screw for a little more resistance, pump some more to make sure all air is out, done.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #5 of 19 Old Jan 14th, 2011, 11:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez
I just did this yesterday and didn't use speed bleeders or any other special tools. I put a clear hose on the existing grub screw nipple, put that into a container. I used a bungee to keep the hose pointed up slightly. Open the grub screw enough to allow fluid to flow but not wide open, keep a little resistance. Then I taped a funnel to the windscreen so the tip was over the hole in the master cylinder, letting me top it off quickly and preventing fluid from squirting out. Pump until it runs clear, close the screw for a little more resistance, pump some more to make sure all air is out, done.
I thought that the grup screw did NOT have a nipple of any kind.

That is what makes it a "grub" screw.

yours must have had a speed bleeder put on it.

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #6 of 19 Old Jan 14th, 2011, 11:34 am Thread Starter

Excellent. Thanks Guys. Do we use DOT 4 brake fluid on the LT for the clutch fluid?
post #7 of 19 Old Jan 14th, 2011, 11:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzyfsk
Excellent. Thanks Guys. Do we use DOT 4 brake fluid on the LT for the clutch fluid?
DOT 4 is correct!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #8 of 19 Old Jan 14th, 2011, 12:39 pm Thread Starter

Thanks John
post #9 of 19 Old Jan 14th, 2011, 1:46 pm

Since I watched mine being done last week, I'm dangerous, but I remembered a tip to keep the reservoir from squirting up and on your windshield.

Place a clean quarter inside the reservoir over the small hole. Keeps the fluid from squirting up. Also use some plastic wrap and be sure everything around the reserve is covered.

We used a speed bleeder too.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #10 of 19 Old Jan 14th, 2011, 3:08 pm

Dano.

What happened to the quarter? Did it turn to copper and disappear in a puff of smoke ? Also, whose quarter was it anyway

Good hint though.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #11 of 19 Old Jan 14th, 2011, 3:27 pm

I think Dave from NC donated it. Don't remember him removing it though! Guess it'll disolve in time. Clutch seems to work pretty well too..

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #12 of 19 Old Jan 14th, 2011, 6:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
I think Dave from NC donated it. Don't remember him removing it though! Guess it'll disolve in time. Clutch seems to work pretty well too..
Dan,

I do remember Dave removing the quarter from the brake side, but do not remember him removing it from the clutch side.

Just remember if you ever sell the bike you can ask for an extra 25cents

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #13 of 19 Old Jan 14th, 2011, 6:42 pm

I thought I heard something rattling around this morning.... or maybe it was my teeth chattering. 36 degrees at 7AM.......... but 63 on my way home... Got to love Florida in the winter..

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #14 of 19 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 10:37 pm Thread Starter

Well I am at the grub screw for the clutch and it does not have a bleeder valve. Does anyone remember what size I will need for this?
post #15 of 19 Old Jan 21st, 2011, 10:43 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

10mm short bleeder. Or you can use a small screwdriver to depress the check ball and let it gravity flush.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #16 of 19 Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 6:10 pm Thread Starter

Excellent. Thanks for everything guys. I have completed the full 12k service and the bike is ready to go. This beast is not bad to work on at all with this group as support. The power brakes were a bit of a hassle to flush but considering what a dealer whats to do it I will take the hassle. Now I need to fix the fuel feeler flap. It does not lock down.
post #17 of 19 Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 7:37 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzyfsk
Excellent. Thanks for everything guys. I have completed the full 12k service and the bike is ready to go. This beast is not bad to work on at all with this group as support. The power brakes were a bit of a hassle to flush but considering what a dealer whats to do it I will take the hassle. Now I need to fix the fuel feeler flap. It does not lock down.
I learned from this forum to take it off and clean it out. Easy fix.
Check out the comment from #10 by Becketma.

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #18 of 19 Old Jan 24th, 2011, 3:26 pm

Re: Clutch fluid change/Trunk Latch

Last weekend replaced my trunk latch on my 03 LT. I bought it from LT Trunk Latch.com
I thought the Latch was very well made and the change-out was smooth, thanks to the CD with pics and instructions.

willow

09 K1200LT
04 R1150R
07 K1200GT
post #19 of 19 Old Jan 26th, 2011, 7:39 am Thread Starter

Thanks. The trunk latch is next on mine. I fixed the gas flap lock by taking it apart and smoothing out the sides with a small file. Works like a champ now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in