actuator gone bad - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jan 12th, 2011, 4:05 pm Thread Starter

actuator gone bad

Electric stand stopped working on my 09. Took the center stand off the bike and found the actuator motor to be full of grease & grime. The brush, whose wire is welded on to a small pole, was broken and this wire was ripped in half.
Is it possible to just get the motor and not the whole actuator unit. If so, please let me know. I priced an actuator and it was around $1100 !!!! ; or can I replace the brush and new wire, even though this wire is soddered or welded on?
Thanks,
Luis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jan 12th, 2011, 4:20 pm

Re: actuator gone bad

So you have it apart and the brush lead is pulled loose where it was soldered? If so find an alternator/ starter repair shop and I bet they can fix it for ya.
post #3 of 12 Old Jan 12th, 2011, 4:55 pm

The bike isn't still under warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luis
Electric stand stopped working on my 09. Took the center stand off the bike and found the actuator motor to be full of grease & grime. The brush, whose wire is welded on to a small pole, was broken and this wire was ripped in half.
Is it possible to just get the motor and not the whole actuator unit. If so, please let me know. I priced an actuator and it was around $1100 !!!! ; or can I replace the brush and new wire, even though this wire is soddered or welded on?
Thanks,
Luis

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969

post #4 of 12 Old Jan 12th, 2011, 6:20 pm Thread Starter

unfortunately not
post #5 of 12 Old Jan 12th, 2011, 8:43 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Here is a source for the motor HS-50N . Honda scooter starter that several here have used.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 12 Old Jan 13th, 2011, 8:48 am Thread Starter

Thanks I'll order the motor and let you know. I appreciate everybody's help, just trying to save a dollar like most of us are.
post #7 of 12 Old Jan 13th, 2011, 9:19 am
fas

Talking Re: actuator gone bad

Luis,
Go to the dealership and discuss how disappointed you are about this early product failure. You may be very surprised at the discretionary authority the dealer and the regional rep have to keep customers happy. With global bike sales down so much, they are VERY anxious to keep us happy.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #8 of 12 Old Jan 13th, 2011, 5:14 pm

I agree with the dealer route, you never know.

I have tried one of the starter motors and had to drill the spade connector to fit over the LT connection bolt, but, it was easy and works great.

If you search for the HS-50N, you may find it a little cheaper. Seems I spent about $50.00 six months ago. Lot easier than messing with the motor. YMMV

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #9 of 12 Old Jan 13th, 2011, 11:57 pm
cws

Garage
Thumbs up Re: actuator gone bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegottberg
I have tried one of the starter motors and had to drill the spade connector to fit over the LT connection bolt, but, it was easy and works great.

If you search for the HS-50N, you may find it a little cheaper. Seems I spent about $50.00 six months ago. Lot easier than messing with the motor. YMMV
+1

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #10 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2011, 9:58 am Thread Starter

thanks for everybodies help. I saw that you could order just the brushes with the attatched wire for 11 bucks. I'm going to try changing the brush and wire that was torn and see how it goes. I'll let you know.
Thanks,
Luis
post #11 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2011, 11:57 am

Here is one I Found:
Actuator

Larry Kniess
Beaverton, Oregon
BMOA #161285
2001 Honda 750 Nighthawk - SOLD
2001 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2003 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2007 UNI-GO trailer - SOLD
2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited
2011 Aspen Sentry Camper
2009 Suzuki 650DL-ABS V-Strom
post #12 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2011, 11:57 am

Oops! Sold

Sorry

Larry Kniess
Beaverton, Oregon
BMOA #161285
2001 Honda 750 Nighthawk - SOLD
2001 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2003 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2007 UNI-GO trailer - SOLD
2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited
2011 Aspen Sentry Camper
2009 Suzuki 650DL-ABS V-Strom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in