Rear Wheel Drive Good - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 9:20 am Thread Starter

Rear Wheel Drive Good

I just wanted to post something positive about rear wheel drives. I have a 03 K1200, 31k miles. Just changed oil and rear wheel drive lube. The rear wheel drive plug magnet only had slush and no metal chips. I put a magnet in the lube that was drained out of the unit and again no metal chips could be seen with the naked eye.
Reading all of the post about rear wheel drive failures has caused me to worry that I am going to experience a failure while on a long trip. Seeing the chip free lube from my bike has given me some ease and hope that mine will not fail. None the less, I will change lube when I change engine oil and get an idea of its condition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 10:43 am
Bouncer

With 127 failure reports in our survey, it appears that you are pretty safe on a 2003 or newer LT.

post #3 of 8 Old Oct 30th, 2013, 10:33 pm

Re: Rear Wheel Drive Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur
I just wanted to post something positive about rear wheel drives. I have a 03 K1200, 31k miles. Just changed oil and rear wheel drive lube. The rear wheel drive plug magnet only had slush and no metal chips. I put a magnet in the lube that was drained out of the unit and again no metal chips could be seen with the naked eye.
Reading all of the post about rear wheel drive failures has caused me to worry that I am going to experience a failure while on a long trip. Seeing the chip free lube from my bike has given me some ease and hope that mine will not fail. None the less, I will change lube when I change engine oil and get an idea of its condition.

I see you changed the lub in the rear drive....What lub did you use? Did you do the job yourself???..............I've been looking for this information....but have come up short???

post #4 of 8 Old Oct 31st, 2013, 5:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur
Arthur, I'm a novis with the BMW could you tell me what lub you used in the final drive and
where you obtained it???? Did you do the job yourself???
post #5 of 8 Old Oct 31st, 2013, 7:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightrudder2
Arthur, I'm a novis with the BMW could you tell me what lub you used in the final drive and
where you obtained it???? Did you do the job yourself???
Just go to your dealer and buy a quart of BMW synthetic gear oil. You'll be good for two changes. Buy a spare for possible spillage.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old Nov 1st, 2013, 12:09 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
With 127 failure reports in our survey, it appears that you are pretty safe on a 2003 or newer LT.

Your survey missed my 2006 LT, the rear drive took a shit at 48,000 miles. I always changed the rear drive oil with the engine oil. The ring gear & seal needed replacing for $394.00

Bill Reitz
Surf City, USA
'06 Storm Gray Metallic LT
post #7 of 8 Old Nov 1st, 2013, 8:24 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr
Your survey missed my 2006 LT, the rear drive took a shit at 48,000 miles. I always changed the rear drive oil with the engine oil. The ring gear & seal needed replacing for $394.00
Maybe because this thread was started in 2005... And the OP has not been on the site for over a year.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #8 of 8 Old Nov 1st, 2013, 12:44 pm

Rightrudder has been resurecting final drive threads from as far back as 2005 and asking about what kind of lube to use in the final drive. The question has been answered in recent threads several times. I hope he is finding what he is looking for.

I rather enjoy reading the old threads, although what we knew about final drive failures back then pales in light of present understanding.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in