Fried Starter Relay and Dead Battery - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jan 11th, 2011, 9:38 am Thread Starter

Fried Starter Relay and Dead Battery

Hi, all I am new to the board but wanted to thank everyone that gives their advice and shares there storys. Here is mine.

I recently bought a 2002 LT and ride every day. I have not been plugging in my trickle charger at night because I thought it would recharge enough durning my daily commute.

When I went out last Tues morning to ride to work and turned the key and pressed the starter button the starter did not stop running, so I pressed the starter button several more times and then removed the key.

The starter continued to run and completely drained the battery. I tried plugging in the trickle charger but it kept blinking red meaning its not connected correctly. So I was concerned but remembered seeing something about a starter relay issue in this forum.

After searching and reading as many post as I could I did determine that it was very likely that I had the starter relay issue from trying to start on a low battery, but was encouraged to see all the post about how to fix the problem.

Before this I had not done any work on my bike but because of all the available info on this board I felt that I could undertake it. On Saturday I went to Mortons BMW in Fredericksburg VA and got the starter relay with the new low voltage protection, a new battery and some other parts to do the 24,0000 mile service.

On Sunday after church I dug in and started taking the tupperware off and worked until I got the new starter relay and new battery in and decided reassemble the bike Monday evening after work.

I also wanted to mention to new LT owners or owners that are thinking about working on their bikes but are concerned that they cant do it, I am not a mechanic, I dont have a garage, and just have basic tools plus some torx wrenches and was able to tear down the bike in my gravel driveway mostly in the dark with work lights in 30 degree weather. So If I can do it I know most others can too.

I put the bike back together Monday evening after work and it fired up on the first try and I went for a ride. That was incredible!!

So thanks again to everyone that comments on this board, I probably would not and could not have done it without all the valuable information contained in this site.

Brian Carver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jan 11th, 2011, 10:35 am

Re: Fried Starter Relay and Dead Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarver
Hi, all I am new to the board but wanted to thank everyone that gives their advice and shares there storys. Here is mine.

I also wanted to mention to new LT owners or owners that are thinking about working on their bikes but are concerned that they cant do it, I am not a mechanic, I dont have a garage, and just have basic tools plus some torx wrenches and was able to tear down the bike in my gravel driveway mostly in the dark with work lights in 30 degree weather. So If I can do it I know most others can too.

I put the bike back together Monday evening after work and it fired up on the first try and I went for a ride. That was incredible!!

So thanks again to everyone that comments on this board, I probably would not and could not have done it without all the valuable information contained in this site.

Brian Carver
Brian, you are DA MAN!!! 30 degree wx - no garage - basic tools - workin' in the dark!!! Wonderful, Brian. Just wonderful. I know you gotta be having a terrific sense of pride in doing that work - expecially right outta the box for your first wrenching session. And I betcha we see you contributing more wrenching knowledge to our community in the future. Truly glad your first stab at it wuz successful - major kudos your way. Take care - ride safe - enjoy your scoot.
post #3 of 7 Old Jan 11th, 2011, 10:44 am
Sit

Good job Brian, stories like yours make me want to try more and more on my bike.

On a side note, just did a mini tech talk at the local dealership. They said a battery can loose 2% of its charge a day due to parasitic draw from the bike. Starting the bike takes a big draw from the battery that is not quickly replaced by the bike while riding. They said the bike really needs to run at 4K RPM for like 10-15 minutes to replace what start up took from the battery. Stop and go traffic, heated gear etc all add to this time. My commute is 30 minutes long on the highway, so I know my battery is generally good by the time I get to work, but I still turn off a heated gear, seat etc when I leave the highway and start through the city streets to help the battery out. Just food for thought.

Again, good job!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1989 K100RS - Blue & White
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold

post #4 of 7 Old Jan 11th, 2011, 11:01 am

Quote:
.......On Sunday after church I dug in and started taking the tupperware off and worked until I got the new starter relay and new battery in and decided reassemble the bike Monday evening after work...... I am not a mechanic, I dont have a garage, and just have basic tools plus some torx wrenches and was able to tear down the bike in my gravel driveway mostly in the dark with work lights in 30 degree weather......I put the bike back together Monday evening after work and it fired up on the first try and I went for a ride.......
Brian, I'm impressed. Glad you got the problem fixed.
Gravel driveway, 30 degrees, and in the dark!?!? I've worked in those conditions many times, but to do a KLT teardown under those conditions, never having done it before. I am more than impressed, I am in awe.

So how many tupperware fasteners did you come up short?
post #5 of 7 Old Jan 11th, 2011, 11:29 am Thread Starter

It really was a good learning experience and an opportunity to remove some wiring and add-ons from the previous owner. I think some of the cables attached to the battery that were no longer being used added to the draining of the battery.

As far as leftovers or missing pieces durning assembly , I think I was short 2 screws. What worked really well for me was, while taking everything apart, I put each sections screws into individual ziploc sandwich bags with a label. Some how I still put 2 screws in the wrong bag but no biggie.

The only thing that caused trouble was the tolerances in some of the tupperware. I found that you have to put the screws in all the holes , then tighten .... only after several attempts.

Next I am ordering the black stainless steel screws and I am going to tear it down again but this time clean all the tupperware real well before putting it back on. Also I need to replace the chrome strips on the saddle bags and the chrome engine guard bumper covers from when I dropped it while learning to ride it. (just a few times)

It has helped me feel more confident knowing that I can keep a small tool bag with me that can completely disassemble the bike and work on it wherever I may be.

Brian
post #6 of 7 Old Jan 11th, 2011, 12:34 pm

Quote:
... opportunity to remove some wiring and add-ons from the previous owner.

Brian, Congrats.
What did you remove? (he says while lurking in the dark, waiting for a response filled with goodies)

Glenn
VA Beach

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #7 of 7 Old Jan 11th, 2011, 12:50 pm Thread Starter

Nothing of any value ( at least I hope) . Things like a auto com button on the left handle which I dont plan on using, a cassette tape adapter cord, driving lights that were damaged from by dropping the bike ( they were under the side engine guards). A passport cable and shelf, gps mount and other miscellaneous cables that were after market that I wasn't sure what they were for going to the battery and other places. I want a more original look to the bike.

Also I wanted to mention how helpful Mortons BMW in Fredericksburg, VA was. The parts guy took a lot of time helping me get the right parts and the service manager spoke to me for about 20 minutes giving me some good info on taking the bike apart. I highly recommend them.

Brian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in