MC's in snow - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old Jan 10th, 2011, 7:13 am Thread Starter

MC's in snow

My friend just got back from Oslo, Norway and told me that it's common practice for the police to ride their MC's in snow. Anyone know what tires they use for that? Spikes? Chains? Knobbies?

Here in Atlanta, we just got 5" of white stuff. Just thinkin' !

Rocket Ron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2002 Honda VTX1800R (gone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old Jan 10th, 2011, 8:09 am

Re: MC's in snow

Now you guys know what it looks like.
I used to live in Rome Ga. A bit of frost would shut the schools down .
In Edmonton we got a foot over the weekend, other than lots of accidents we all go to work.
Altho schoolbusses are not running in my county today.

Eric von Laue

3Cyl Kawa ( a long time ago)
450 Yamaha Seca ( maybe it was a Maxim )
1100 Honda Magna
650 Honda XR ( to Guatemala and back)
1990 Honda PC800 ( Mountain Mama )
2000 BMW 1200LT ( Maxamillion )

Keep the rubber side down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 Old Jan 10th, 2011, 9:15 am

It won't last long Ron, I wouldn't run out and buy spiked tires just yet.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)

post #4 of 32 Old Jan 10th, 2011, 10:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountianMama
Now you guys know what it looks like.
I used to live in Rome Ga. A bit of frost would shut the schools down .
In Edmonton we got a foot over the weekend, other than lots of accidents we all go to work.
Altho schoolbusses are not running in my county today.
Hey Eric, trying to get out to Edmonton in the Spring to see our 2 granddaughters, maybe we can have coffee or dinner together again.

Garry & Esther

Follow my South America ride at

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

post #5 of 32 Old Jan 10th, 2011, 10:27 am

Ari would probably be the best person for this question.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #6 of 32 Old Jan 10th, 2011, 10:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRon
My friend just got back from Oslo, Norway and told me that it's common practice for the police to ride their MC's in snow. Anyone know what tires they use for that? Spikes? Chains? Knobbies?

Here in Atlanta, we just got 5" of white stuff. Just thinkin' !
I think Curtis up in Vermont favors chains, as shown in his avatar!!

Check it out --- CharlieVT is his handle.
post #7 of 32 Old Jan 10th, 2011, 1:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
I think Curtis up in Vermont favors chains, as shown in his avatar!!

Check it out --- CharlieVT is his handle.
Thanks for the introduction Dick,

I do prefer chains for getting around in the snow:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stuck3.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	30112  
Attached Images

post #8 of 32 Old Jan 10th, 2011, 2:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatzo
It won't last long Ron, I wouldn't run out and buy spiked tires just yet.
We got 6" of snow in these parts! Not quite as bad as 1993. But here's the rub. With temperatures in the mid 30's for highs forecast the next week and partly cloudy at best, it may be around for a while. We're just not used to it.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #9 of 32 Old Jan 10th, 2011, 3:04 pm

Thumbs down Re: MC's in snow

Not recommended.
Ask me how I know.
It was an instant dismount, verticle one second, sliding the next..
TWICE! , within 100 feet, and second time I was only pushing the bike.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

post #10 of 32 Old Jan 10th, 2011, 3:11 pm

Charley.. where do you get those chains? any specs? advice about installation?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #11 of 32 Old Jan 10th, 2011, 3:34 pm

I used to love taking my Triumph Trophy out in deep powder snow. Was a lot of fun. I'm older and smarter now.
post #12 of 32 Old Jan 11th, 2011, 6:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Charley.. where do you get those chains? any specs? advice about installation?
It's a spoof.
The LT is impossible in the snow. Don't even consider riding in the snow. I have ridden in a few inches of freshly fallen snow on paved roads having been caught close to home in a storm. In these conditions, the LT's tires will find their way through the snow to the pavement so there is some limited grip. You have to slow to a crawl on corners and speed on straights is scary at 15-20mph.

On hardpacked snow the LT is even more impossible. Just crossing my yard (old barnyard which is plowed, hardpacked snow, without sand or salt) is risky business. I move bikes from the barn to the workshop and back during winter to work on 'em. The smaller Airheads are manageable because you can hold them up when the bike fishtails. With the LT the margin for error is really small; very easy to dump it.
Of the two pics, my avatar is a spoof. One day I went out, put on snowshoes, my helmet, parked the bike in front of a snowbank, held a tire chain up like I was mounting it on the bike and had my wife take the pic; it has generated many queries like yours.

The other pic is where I am actually using a tire chain. I couldn't get the LT back in the barn because the rear wheel was spinning on the snow so I laid a tire chain on the ground to help the rear wheel get some traction. I use tire chains like someone might use a bucket of sand.

If you've ever used tire chains you'd probably realize putting them on a motorcycle is ridiculous. There are tire studs available for the motocross and off road riders who do snow and ice racing with their dirt bikes. A small light bike with the right tires is managable in some snow conditions and can be fun. Not the LT.

Last edited by CharlieVT; Jan 11th, 2011 at 10:51 am.
post #13 of 32 Old Jan 11th, 2011, 7:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
If you've ever used tire chains you'd probably realize putting them on a motorcycle is ridiculous. There are tire studs available for the motocross and off road riders who do snow and ice racing with their dirt bikes. A small light bike with the right tires is managable in some snow conditions and can be fun. Not the LT.
And not only ridiculous, butt where you really want traction (rear wheel), there is only a 4-paper-thickness clearance 'tween the tire tread and the swingarm!! Yikes.

That avatar still generates a lot of talk around here, come wintertime - even tho we don't get snow often, Curtis. Thanks for the pic(s). And be safe on the trip 'tween the barn and the workshop!!
post #14 of 32 Old Jan 11th, 2011, 7:56 am

Some time back, Curtis asked about off road tires for the LT. I'm still wondering what he was up to.
Anybody ever figure it out? Or should I check my leg for stretch marks?
post #15 of 32 Old Jan 11th, 2011, 10:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
Some time back, Curtis asked about off road tires for the LT. I'm still wondering what he was up to......

(my sociopathic alter ego in evidence.)

Last edited by CharlieVT; Jan 11th, 2011 at 2:29 pm.
post #16 of 32 Old Jan 11th, 2011, 11:14 am

Got caught in the snow on my LT a couple of years ago during a freak early storm on the Blue Ridge heading down to Maggie Valley. Talk about your white knuckle special. Never again!
post #17 of 32 Old Jan 11th, 2011, 5:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkimmel2
Got caught in the snow on my LT a couple of years ago during a freak early storm on the Blue Ridge heading down to Maggie Valley. Talk about your white knuckle special. Never again!
Not to mention the sphincter as well

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)
post #18 of 32 Old Jan 11th, 2011, 6:54 pm

So true Dick! The TREAD thickness on the only 2 rear tires strong enough to support these clear-road beauties can't be more than about 12 paper thickness. Not much margin for error when you drill the tire and set the studs!

It seems like 'riding in the snow' would be safer and cause less damage if you just pushed it over onto its side and tied a rope to the front wheel so you could drag it like a toboggan. Certainly less damaging than the thrashing it would take when it fell over every 5' when trying to ride it!

We're supposed to get ice or snow here tonight. Hopefully nothing like you folks in the South/Southeast!

I hate having to chain up to get around!

Stay safe my freezing foul weather friends,

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
And not only ridiculous, butt where you really want traction (rear wheel), there is only a 4-paper-thickness clearance 'tween the tire tread and the swingarm!! Yikes.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #19 of 32 Old Jan 11th, 2011, 8:26 pm

Howdy Folks.

Ok, here it goes. Back on Saturday, April 26, 2008, I was riding my '02 LT to visit a bunch of BMW riding buddies in Casper Wyoming. Heading up I25 thru Cheyenne, (6,000 msl) I rode into a ground blizzard caused by very high wind blowing dead across the freeway. Rode up over a rise and right onto a stretch of clear, smooth ICE right on the freeway. Absolutely no warning. I was already down around 40 mph so sucking the fabric of the seat right up, I pulled in the clutch and let the throttle down to idle. I figured any touch of the brake would end the day.

I made it a full mile slowing down on the ice when a huge gust, must have been over 40 mph struck the bike dead sideways and shoved the rear end out to the right. I cranked in full right turn on the handle bars and sucked the seat fabric a little further. Of course the gust quit and the rear end of the LT swung back to the left. I slammed full left turn on the handle bars, but to no avail, the rear end swung all the way around so I was facing back the way I came.

Now, I'm facing backwards, reversing on I25 at some slow speed, but way too fast. I figured that winding up under the LT would not be a good idea, so bailed off the right side of the bike just as it fell over. (did I mention I was going down the road backwards?) The bike fell on my Sidi armored boot, breaing the exoskeleton of the boot, but saving my foot and ankel. On the ice, I found real serious scrapes on my full leather coat, ground through 4 layers on my right knee.

I needed the help of 2 guys to get the LT back up on it's wheels. The ice was so slick, you couldn't hold it upright by your self. I finally got to move after 3 attempts where any slippage of the rear tire would dump the bike. I figured to ride a half mile to an off ramp and then consider my options.

The mirrors were broken clean off, tethers sheared, the right side foot peg was gone, the front brake was leaking brake fluid and the right wide tip over bar was no loose. Riding about 12 to 15 mph up the road with the 2 guys following so I wouldn't get run over as traffic was running along at about 35-40. I was afraid to turn my head for fear turning my head would dump the bike again.

Without any notice, a police siren goes off right on my back bumper. Scared me so bad, I literally jump straight up and of course, the bike dropped. Wyoming State Patrol Trooper was less than 15 feet behind. I got a $200 dollar ticket, mandatory $100 dollar tow back into Cheyenne (the tow driver figured out how to tow the LT on a standard tow truck with the weight on the wheels and the sling only holding the bike upright. Guy was beyond good and treated me wonderfully.) I rode the bike all the way back home as the road was DRY south of Cheyenne. Insurance totaled the LT. I went out to California to buy Quick Silver.

I figured I invented doubles motorcycle dancing. Wonder if it will ever be an Olympic sport?

Turned Around Karl

Disreputable Rode Hard & Put Up Wet Old Deadbeat Geezer
"We're all here because we're not all there"
--Ken & Gene Hunt
'09 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie -- QuickSilver II
'02 LTE Silver -- Retired
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
2009 Subaru WRX, Stage 1 269 whp, 293 ftlb - INTERCEPTOR
2003 Ford Focus, 220 hp @ wheels 180 ftlb torque @ wheels - Traded
Northern Colorado
post #20 of 32 Old Jan 12th, 2011, 1:30 am

Great recount of a harrowing experience Karl! It would appear that, once again, I'm right! You would not have totaled the bike if you would have just pushed it over, tied a rope to the front wheel and tried to drag it home! Wait a minute! If you would have pushed it over etc. the damage would have been greatly minimized because the road was so slick you wouldn't be able to stand up AND you would have saved a $200 ticket!

Glad you made it through the ordeal OK.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurphy165
Howdy Folks.

Ok, here it goes. Back on Saturday, April 26, 2008, I was riding my '02 LT to visit a bunch of BMW riding buddies in Casper Wyoming. Heading up I25 thru Cheyenne, (6,000 msl) I rode into a ground blizzard caused by very high wind blowing dead across the freeway. Rode up over a rise and right onto a stretch of clear, smooth ICE right on the freeway. Absolutely no warning. I was already down around 40 mph so sucking the fabric of the seat right up, I pulled in the clutch and let the throttle down to idle. I figured any touch of the brake would end the day.

I made it a full mile slowing down on the ice when a huge gust, must have been over 40 mph struck the bike dead sideways and shoved the rear end out to the right. I cranked in full right turn on the handle bars and sucked the seat fabric a little further. Of course the gust quit and the rear end of the LT swung back to the left. I slammed full left turn on the handle bars, but to no avail, the rear end swung all the way around so I was facing back the way I came.

Now, I'm facing backwards, reversing on I25 at some slow speed, but way too fast. I figured that winding up under the LT would not be a good idea, so bailed off the right side of the bike just as it fell over. (did I mention I was going down the road backwards?) The bike fell on my Sidi armored boot, breaing the exoskeleton of the boot, but saving my foot and ankel. On the ice, I found real serious scrapes on my full leather coat, ground through 4 layers on my right knee.

I needed the help of 2 guys to get the LT back up on it's wheels. The ice was so slick, you couldn't hold it upright by your self. I finally got to move after 3 attempts where any slippage of the rear tire would dump the bike. I figured to ride a half mile to an off ramp and then consider my options.

The mirrors were broken clean off, tethers sheared, the right side foot peg was gone, the front brake was leaking brake fluid and the right wide tip over bar was no loose. Riding about 12 to 15 mph up the road with the 2 guys following so I wouldn't get run over as traffic was running along at about 35-40. I was afraid to turn my head for fear turning my head would dump the bike again.

Without any notice, a police siren goes off right on my back bumper. Scared me so bad, I literally jump straight up and of course, the bike dropped. Wyoming State Patrol Trooper was less than 15 feet behind. I got a $200 dollar ticket, mandatory $100 dollar tow back into Cheyenne (the tow driver figured out how to tow the LT on a standard tow truck with the weight on the wheels and the sling only holding the bike upright. Guy was beyond good and treated me wonderfully.) I rode the bike all the way back home as the road was DRY south of Cheyenne. Insurance totaled the LT. I went out to California to buy Quick Silver.

I figured I invented doubles motorcycle dancing. Wonder if it will ever be an Olympic sport?

Turned Around Karl

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #21 of 32 Old Jan 12th, 2011, 6:26 am

I got a $200 dollar ticket, mandatory
What was the ticket for?
post #22 of 32 Old Jan 12th, 2011, 6:45 am

Quite a few years ago, I rode my Honda 450 back to college with two of my motorcycle buddies, Easter weekend, from southern WV to the north part of the state before interstate and ended up riding through about 12 inches of snow.

It was so long ago, I really don't remember the details except that I'd NEVER do it again! When we left Bluefield, WV, it was just barely snowing and by the time we hit Marlington, near Greenbank, riding up Hwy 219, the roads were covered in snow and we were freezing since none of us had on the proper gear.

It's amazing what you can do when you are 19, bullet proof and don't know what you don't know!

By the time we finally got to Morgantown, the front forks were completely iced in and my key was surrounded my a block of ice. How we managed to ride for more than 12 hours that day, in the freezing weather and snow and not get killed, much less, not wreck, is still something we always talk about when the three of us get together.

My snow riding recomendation: Dont!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #23 of 32 Old Jan 12th, 2011, 1:13 pm

When I was living in France (Paris area) I used to ride MC's almost everyday as a mean of transportation as lane splitting over there helped to almost never get stuck in traffic jams. I would not ride if it was snowing or icy but once or twice unexpected snow falls forced me to ride back home from work in the snow. I had a Honda 500 CX at the time, pretty light bike, and I really hated the experience. With the LT I would not even dare riding on dirt roads or sandy roads, let alone snow.

Alain

Vieux motard que jamais
post #24 of 32 Old Jan 12th, 2011, 1:30 pm

I'd like to know too, what the fine was for? Not that I intend to ride in the ice and snow in WYO, but one never knows for sure.

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)
post #25 of 32 Old Jan 12th, 2011, 2:09 pm

I believe that the appropriate charge for a motorcycle in snow/ice is DWHUA.

Driving With Head Up Ass.
post #26 of 32 Old Jan 12th, 2011, 2:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT

(my sociopathic alter ego in evidence.)

You are a class act Curtis.................Keep the Faith.............

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT
post #27 of 32 Old Jan 12th, 2011, 7:22 pm

I read an article somewhere recommending that a 650 is about the right size for bad weather. Heavy enough to be stable but light enough to hold up if the footing is bad.

Aerostich has studs and an installation kit. Their new studs are self-tapping so you don't have to drill pilot holes. They say they come with full instructions and a certificate that you are officially off the deep end.

I would think an F650GS with studded tires would be a blast.

David Hough in Proficient Motorcycling recommends a side car rig for snow. Probably a better plan.

I've got my eye on the Ural sidecar rigs with a DRIVE WHEEL on the sidecar. There's a spare mount on the sidecar, so keep a studded spare there and swap it when the storms come. When my 14 year old truck I drive only in the snow dies, I'm lobbying for one of these. "But honey, it's 1/4 the price of a new truck".

Bob Pond
2009 K1200LT
potius sero quam nunquam
post #28 of 32 Old Jan 12th, 2011, 9:11 pm

Karl - I wanna know what the $200 ticket was for, too!
post #29 of 32 Old Jan 16th, 2011, 1:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Great recount of a harrowing experience Karl! It would appear that, once again, I'm right! You would not have totaled the bike if you would have just pushed it over, tied a rope to the front wheel and tried to drag it home! Wait a minute! If you would have pushed it over etc. the damage would have been greatly minimized because the road was so slick you wouldn't be able to stand up AND you would have saved a $200 ticket!

Glad you made it through the ordeal OK.

Loren
Howdy, Loren. Naw, the damage was done when the bike fell over the first time. The insult to the injury was the cop sneaking up behind me and laying on the siren. Then telling me that me being on the road at that time was the stupidest thing he ever saw. I considered suggesting that not having put road deicing goop on the road there might be it, but considering I was afoot in another state on the weekend, I decided it was wiser to agree with him and keep my damn yap shut.

I had no choice in the tow bill or the ticket. Cop's choice.

Rememberin' Karl

--Ken & Gene Hunt
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
Northern Colorado
post #30 of 32 Old Jan 16th, 2011, 1:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw
I got a $200 dollar ticket, mandatory
What was the ticket for?
Howdy, Gary. Gee, was close to 3 years ago. Uh, Oh, I think it was unsafe operation of motor vehicle for conditions. In other words, excessive stupidity. The weird thing is I never said to anyone, "Hold my beer and watch this." I was seriously trying to escape the conditions and turn back. Kind hard to do on the Interstate with a median barricade.

Go Back Karl

--Ken & Gene Hunt
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
Northern Colorado
post #31 of 32 Old Jan 16th, 2011, 1:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
I believe that the appropriate charge for a motorcycle in snow/ice is DWHUA.

Driving With Head Up Ass.
Howdy. Ya Think!!!! Seriously, as soon as I rode into snow on the grass and road shoulders, it was too late as the side streets and off ramps had iced up. I should probably have pulled onto the shoulder and stopped, but the shoulder was already iced. The road went from wet to iced up within 1/4 mile. This was on the highest part of the interstate and another mile or so would have been down to melting temps and wet highway. In 20/20 hindsight, I would have checked Wyoming highway conditions and not gone.

Regretin' Karl

--Ken & Gene Hunt
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
Northern Colorado
post #32 of 32 Old Jan 16th, 2011, 1:41 pm

Here's how BMW does riding in the snow/ice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1gYW0SGaSI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in