Will stainless (Spiegler) brakelines damage other system parts? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jan 8th, 2011, 6:27 pm Thread Starter

Question Will stainless (Spiegler) brakelines damage other system parts?

Anyone had issues with the rest of the brake system after installing stainless brake lines?
Overheard a discussion where it was NOT recommended to install stainless lines as increased pressures generated strain other components.
The OEM rubber lines flex/expand to soak up these pressures.
Kinda makes sense or is it a Myth?

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jan 8th, 2011, 6:39 pm

Re: Will stainless (Spiegler) brakelines damage other system parts?

While they are many reasons not to install steel braided lines (for me anyway...) you definitely do not want any swelling or expanding - EVER - no matter what they are made from.

The main reason for steel braided lines is protection from chafing - and of course there's the bling factor which is just irresistible to many riders. SS lines may change the feel of the brakes and increase reaction time by nano seconds - but I'm not exactly sure how they can - on their own - increase pressure to affect other components that would have a detrimental effect.

Myth!

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jan 8th, 2011 at 6:55 pm.
post #3 of 21 Old Jan 8th, 2011, 6:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Endless discussions on this topic- do a quick search.
The consensus was . . . no.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #4 of 21 Old Jan 9th, 2011, 9:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
While they are many reasons not to install steel braided lines (for me anyway...) you definitely do not want any swelling or expanding - EVER - no matter what they are made from.

The main reason for steel braided lines is protection from chafing - and of course there's the bling factor which is just irresistible to many riders. SS lines may change the feel of the brakes and increase reaction time by nano seconds - but I'm not exactly sure how they can - on their own - increase pressure to affect other components that would have a detrimental effect.

Myth!
+1...how does a tube increase pressure? Pressure is created by squeezing the lever. (Agreement)

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #5 of 21 Old Jan 9th, 2011, 9:29 pm

Myth.

Doug, I put Spieglers in three years ago, and would do it again - but I don't have to! Love 'em.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #6 of 21 Old Jan 9th, 2011, 10:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The OE lines would probably expand more, forcing you to pull the lever further for the same response from the bike. Line pressure determines caliper pressure and ultimately equal pressure gets equal brake response. Some would probably confuse a shorter lever pull with higher line pressure. Not true. If there is any issue with component failure after changing a line, I would think it's likely due to contamination from an improper install. If you install them, take the time to properly flush the system. Brake fluid is cheap.

post #7 of 21 Old Jan 10th, 2011, 9:07 am

...and a little more info from www.StopTech.com - but remember these guys sell extremely expensive stainless steel lines for racing CARS, and one thing that EVERYONE forgets about SS lines is that they have more of an on/off "feel" to them - reducing the ability to modulate your brakes. On/off is great for racing since you are generally stomping on them HARD before entering a corner and where milliseconds count - but it dramatically reduces the ability to "sense" minute braking forces on the street - where a fine touch is often required - and especially for motorcycles.

I absolutely crack up when someone tells me that OEM lines expand and swell. This may have been true in the 1970's or if your lines are old and tired - but new, modern OEM lines are - for the most part - extremely durable and DO NOT SWELL unless they are subjected to extreme braking forces encountered in racing when the fluid itself gets insanely hot and can even boil.

BMW engineers specify brake lines as an integral part of each system to provide maximum overall performance. By Installing aftermarket SS lines in a bike designed in 1997 you are not going to stop any faster and they indeed may adversely affect braking performance. BMW - like any manufacturer - may be converting to SS lines in newer models, but it is due more to consumer demand for the latest bling look than anything.

What impacts will SS lines have on my vehicle's P-T (pressure vs. torque) relationship?

None. Because brake lines and hoses do not affect the torque generated at the wheel end, the P-T relationship remains unchanged when SS lines are installed. Only changes to a vehicle's caliper, rotor, or brake pad coefficient of friction will impact the P-T relationship.

Well then, will SS lines impact my vehicle's P-V (pressure vs. volume) relationship?

Absolutely. Because SS lines are much less compliant than their OEM counterparts, the P-V relationship will be reduced to some degree (less volume will be required at a given pressure). This is exactly the reason that a car equipped with SS lines has a firmer brake pedal.

However, because the P-T relationship remains unchanged with SS lines, the impact to ABS, TCS, and other brake control systems is typically negligible. Our own BBK kit testing indicates that most ABS, TCS, and other brake control systems are robust to the small changes affected by the addition of SS lines. On the other hand, testing at StopTech (and at major OEMs as well) has shown that while decreases in the P-V relationship typically are invisible to SS lines, increases in the P-V relationship are not (as would be found with an inappropriately-sized BBK).

In summary, because SS lines and a properly sized and balanced BBK only serve to reduce the P-V relationship, we have time and time again demonstrated appropriate system integration with these products. Our in-house testing allows us to make this statement for every platform we service.

Will I feel a difference on my car if I install SS lines?

The amount of perceived difference will vary by each car's individual design, age, and usage. Those cars with a significant amount of flexible OEM line or those that have seen years or use and aging will typically display a more dramatic improvement in pedal feel than new cars with shorter lines.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jan 10th, 2011 at 9:13 am.
post #8 of 21 Old Jan 10th, 2011, 9:43 am

I'm sure that "spongieness" is a factor in the brake design..

I'm also sure that less "spongieness" is a good thing...

Till it's not......Then you crash...
I also know that a hose shop can build you a custom hose for about a third of what you'll pay from Spiegler, etc....

Drive carefully,

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #9 of 21 Old Jan 10th, 2011, 9:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
I also know that a hose shop can build you a custom hose for about a third of what you'll pay from Spiegler, etc....
+1

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #10 of 21 Old Jan 10th, 2011, 10:21 am

The people you heard saying those things should never be trusted to do any mechanical work more complex than repairing a small porcelain walrus.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #11 of 21 Old Jan 10th, 2011, 12:07 pm

Finally a place that can fix my walrus!

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
post #12 of 21 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 4:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougholck
Anyone had issues with the rest of the brake system after installing stainless brake lines?
Overheard a discussion where it was NOT recommended to install stainless lines as increased pressures generated strain other components.
The OEM rubber lines flex/expand to soak up these pressures.
Kinda makes sense or is it a Myth?
I installed a set of Speigler brake lines on my Beemer and I was very unhappy with them. Mechanically, the Speigler brake lines work fine, however, after less than a year of use the color had badly faded. What had once been a nice bright red set of lines faded to become the most nauseous looking faded pumpkin orange color. It is horrible.

I contacted Speigler and asked them to warranty the nauseous lines. They refused saying that they do not guarantee their brake lines against fading or nausea. After multiple complaints, Speigler agreed to give me a 10% discount on a replacement set of lines. That was the most I could get out of them.

I paid about $350 for the lines, however, it cost me over $500 to have them installed (including flushing the brake fluid and bleeding the ABS system ... all of which is required in order to install the brake lines. It cost me about $850 total to buy and install their junky lines and the best they would offer after they faded was to discount the purchase of a new set by $35. Of course, even if I had taken them up on their offer and purchased a new set of lines I would still have had to pay another $500 to have them installed.

My recommendation is that if you want to install aftermarket Speigler lines in place of your OEM lines YOU SHOULD TOTALLY AVOID THE COLORED LINES. Go with the stainless steel lines with the clear plastic cover and you should be OK. Also, you will probably be happiest if you go with the chrome colored fittings instead of the colored ones. I purchased red fittings for my nauseous orange lines and they faded in less than a year. (fortunately, the metal fittings only faded to faded red as opposed to nauseous orange so if you don't mind having faded metal fittings on your bike they may be OK for you.)

All in all, I would recommend not buying Speigler brake lines. Why would you want to buy from a company that will not honor its warranty? I was particularly offended by their offer of a mere 10% discount, rather than a 100% replacement, based on their contention that their warranty does not cover cosmetics. I mean, the primary reason that people purchase their product is for cosmetics. How could they refuse to honor warranty claims for cosmetic defects?
post #13 of 21 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 4:24 pm

Many braided lines with clear plastic coating yellow and/or cloud over time.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #14 of 21 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 4:36 pm

"I mean, the primary reason that people purchase their product is for cosmetics".

Really? Functionality is secondary???
post #15 of 21 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 4:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
"I mean, the primary reason that people purchase their product is for cosmetics".

Really? Functionality is secondary???
I was wanting to say that.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #16 of 21 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 5:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

With a little patience, some masking paper, and a six dollar can of spray paint, I bet you can make those nauseating orange lines into beautiful flat black pieces of art.

post #17 of 21 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 5:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey
With a little patience, some masking paper, and a six dollar can of spray paint, I bet you can make those nauseating orange lines into beautiful flat black pieces of art.

Dean, your humor cracks me up. We need to share some more beers. Come for a visit to Texas.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #18 of 21 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 5:59 pm

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #19 of 21 Old Aug 1st, 2014, 9:14 am

Garage

If you install speigler lines and leave old oem lines, the shit oem lines will die.
Because they are so bad that if they are original they were about to go anyway like the ones you just replaced.
I replaced one rear, then my fronts went, unrelated just same age.

The original lines on the LT are the worst quality of any of the 10 bikes I have owned.
I have a 1982 honda with original lines in better shape than the 200 lt has.
post #20 of 21 Old Aug 1st, 2014, 9:17 am

Garage

Spent a couple of hours replacing front lines on 2000lt
no fairings removed just 2 wrenches needed and right handlebar cover removed.
To spend $500 for that is crazy, but I will take other peoples crazy $500 for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman90251 View Post
I installed a set of Speigler brake lines on my Beemer and I was very unhappy with them. Mechanically, the Speigler brake lines work fine, however, after less than a year of use the color had badly faded. What had once been a nice bright red set of lines faded to become the most nauseous looking faded pumpkin orange color. It is horrible.

I contacted Speigler and asked them to warranty the nauseous lines. They refused saying that they do not guarantee their brake lines against fading or nausea. After multiple complaints, Speigler agreed to give me a 10% discount on a replacement set of lines. That was the most I could get out of them.

I paid about $350 for the lines, however, it cost me over $500 to have them installed (including flushing the brake fluid and bleeding the ABS system ... all of which is required in order to install the brake lines. It cost me about $850 total to buy and install their junky lines and the best they would offer after they faded was to discount the purchase of a new set by $35. Of course, even if I had taken them up on their offer and purchased a new set of lines I would still have had to pay another $500 to have them installed.

My recommendation is that if you want to install aftermarket Speigler lines in place of your OEM lines YOU SHOULD TOTALLY AVOID THE COLORED LINES. Go with the stainless steel lines with the clear plastic cover and you should be OK. Also, you will probably be happiest if you go with the chrome colored fittings instead of the colored ones. I purchased red fittings for my nauseous orange lines and they faded in less than a year. (fortunately, the metal fittings only faded to faded red as opposed to nauseous orange so if you don't mind having faded metal fittings on your bike they may be OK for you.)

All in all, I would recommend not buying Speigler brake lines. Why would you want to buy from a company that will not honor its warranty? I was particularly offended by their offer of a mere 10% discount, rather than a 100% replacement, based on their contention that their warranty does not cover cosmetics. I mean, the primary reason that people purchase their product is for cosmetics. How could they refuse to honor warranty claims for cosmetic defects?
post #21 of 21 Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 1:58 am Thread Starter

FYI:
Replaced my 2002 lines with OEM at 96K miles.

My main concern was the impact to servo pump and ABS module which continue to preform as designed so decided not to try and improve a system that works just fine.

Thanks for replies.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in