New To The Sight / Bmw Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jan 8th, 2011, 2:06 pm Thread Starter

New To The Sight / Bmw Question

Hello to all,

I have been riding for many years and our last bike was a custom "06" Yamaha Roadliner pictured in my signature. Recently, we sold the Roadliner and are done with the cruisers and have our sights on a BMW. One of my friends let me ride his K1200LT and I was hooked within 10 minuutes. The smoothness, riding stance and handling are what most stood out and hooked me ("you had me from hello") from the start. I am not interested in any other manufacturer other than BMW and I need assistance from as many people that will reply. Our last ride was 1730 miles in 4 days and enjoy our long weekends, but it was too long and painful on the Yamaha. We are planning on touring around the US and need a bike that fit our needs.

My wife also wants a BMW because of the sexy lines and their reputation with their automobiles.

Here's my concerns: I am in the position to purchase any BMW motorcycle, but want to purchase the right bike for me. My options are the K1200LT or the R series motorcycles. I see where the RS was the "Touring Bike of the Year" in motorcycle magazine. This bike even beat the Goldwing. However, what makes this bike the champion compared to the LT? I will be purchasing a bike within the next two months and would appreciate everyone's thoughts because I do not want to ride a bike and think of the bike I could have had.

Warmest Regards,

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jan 8th, 2011, 2:27 pm

Re: New To The Sight / Bmw Question

Welcome aboard Jeff, You have come to the right place for information and opinions. (maybe more that you asked for). I personally do not think there is a more comfortable, smoother running touring bike than the K1200LT. I had an R1100RT and loved it but the LT takes the grand prize. As you probably know, the LT has been discontinued but there are still some out there to be had.

Good luck in your search.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #3 of 21 Old Jan 8th, 2011, 2:39 pm

Jeff,
Iíve been riding motorcycles for the last 30 years, mainly Moto Guzzi and Ducati, as well as the odd Japanese off-road motorcycle. Up until five years ago I had never owned a BMW. I then bought a F650GS to commute and to provide an entry level bike for my son to learn to ride. I really liked the F650 even though I considered it grossly underpowered. Iíve also ridden a Dyna Wide Glide which was nothing less than painful. The Buell Ulysses was great, but had a heat problem. Them I acquired a Triumph Thruxton which looked great but wasnít fun to ride. That all changed when I bought my first R1100S Ė it was fun to ride with great handling, excellent brakes, adequate performance, acceptable comfort, good looks and simple maintenance. The only problem with the S was the comfort of my wife, so a couple of months ago I started looking at a touring motorcycle. I rode the RT and a Concours, but eventually bought a 2006 K1200LT. It is the most solid, most comfortable, most maneuverable bike of the lot. It is also the best equipped. Despite its size and weight I just feel totally in control on the LT. It is an enjoyable motorcycle and definitely my favorite!

If you are beyond the stage where only horsepower counts, and you want a motorcycle with sufficient power, great handling, excellent brakes, luxury appointments and comfort that will satisfy your passenger also, the LT is for you. I would suggest 2005 or later models.

Andrť Strydom
BMW MOA #140995

"And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."
Acts 4:12

post #4 of 21 Old Jan 8th, 2011, 3:48 pm Thread Starter

Boatzo and Andres,

I appreciate both of your replies and take it to heart. I have always been leaning towards the LT and planned to purchase one over all bikes. However, I want to do my research, like I always do, before I make my purchase. I am learning towards an 08-09 because they have the most options that "my wife" likes.

I will keep everyone in the loop as far a what I buy, but I know it will not be anything less than a BMW.

Warmest regards,

Jeff
post #5 of 21 Old Jan 8th, 2011, 4:21 pm

Jeff, I bought my LT specifically for the wife's comfort. I really thought the RT was what I wanted, until I test rode one. For two up, and for long distance solo (I try to get in one 3,000 mile week long ride each spring), I can't imagine a better bike. I upgraded to Wilber suspension, and it is one amazing bike.
Of course, I've yet to ride the K1600GTL, sooooooooooo..........
post #6 of 21 Old Jan 8th, 2011, 5:02 pm

I just bought an 09LT last month with 4,000 miles on it and so far love it. I also went with the LT so my wife would be comfortable.
post #7 of 21 Old Jan 8th, 2011, 7:16 pm

Wink Re: New To The Sight / Bmw Question

Jeff, we've been riding for over 40 years now, and there is nothing that will compare with the LT for two up in my not so humble opinion! And that "we" does include the wife, who made it very clear the day that we bought the LT "this is the best Bike you've ever had!"

And it is hard to beat for even solo rides as well. The fat lady may look big, but she can handle the curves like a crotch rocket! Even passed a few in my time!

And anyone who says the power is lacking has probably not taken the revs up to where they should be with this engine! She loves to sing above 5,000 RPM! If you need to pass in a hurry, don't just do the roll-on, drop her a click or two and hold on! She can roar!

Good Luck in making your pick. I may be just a little biased, but that bias is moderated by many different Bikes over 40 years.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 21 Old Jan 8th, 2011, 8:01 pm

Welcome aboard Jeff...I wont twist your arm or anything like that...but if you want the best two up bike out there you WILL purchase a LT! Good luck and have fun on your hunt for your next ride.

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #9 of 21 Old Jan 8th, 2011, 8:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
Jeff, we've been riding for over 40 years now, and there is nothing that will compare with the LT for two up in my not so humble opinion! And that "we" does include the wife, who made it very clear the day that we bought the LT "this is the best Bike you've ever had!"

And it is hard to beat for even solo rides as well. The fat lady may look big, but she can handle the curves like a crotch rocket! Even passed a few in my time!

And anyone who says the power is lacking has probably not taken the revs up to where they should be with this engine! She loves to sing above 5,000 RPM! If you need to pass in a hurry, don't just do the roll-on, drop her a click or two and hold on! She can roar!

Good Luck in making your pick. I may be just a little biased, but that bias is moderated by many different Bikes over 40 years.

John
You said it John. My 09 in 5th gear at 5,000 sings along at about 100mph.
post #10 of 21 Old Jan 8th, 2011, 10:04 pm

Hi Jeff,

Welcome aboard!!!!!

I owned both Goldwings and Harley Ultra's, but was blown away by the K1200lt.

I don't know about everyone else but the one of the unexpected delights I discovered after I bought the BMW was the "lack of engine heat' coming off the bike on a very hot summer day. I was so used to being "cooked" by my previous rides, I basked in sheer delight actually being cooled down on our rides.

The other somewhat "expected delight" was the 54.5 MPG that I got on a 400 mile ride with my wife on the back. I had read about others on the forum doing even better, up to 60 MPG. WIth gas prices going who knows where, I know I'll be doing amongst the best I can with the Beemer.

My wife echo's everyone else's, after the first ride on the BMW she said " That by far is the most comfortable motorcycle I've ever ridden on, period".

Ride, Handling, Power, Touring Comfort, Canyon Carving, Dependability, Mileage, ABS Brakes, and a VERY HAPPY WIFE !!!!!

What more could you ask for? After your trip, you won't be able to wipe the smile off of either of your faces.

Once again, Welcome aboard, you won't be sorry.

MIke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoesch
Hello to all,

I have been riding for many years and our last bike was a custom "06" Yamaha Roadliner pictured in my signature. Recently, we sold the Roadliner and are done with the cruisers and have our sights on a BMW. One of my friends let me ride his K1200LT and I was hooked within 10 minuutes. The smoothness, riding stance and handling are what most stood out and hooked me ("you had me from hello") from the start. I am not interested in any other manufacturer other than BMW and I need assistance from as many people that will reply. Our last ride was 1730 miles in 4 days and enjoy our long weekends, but it was too long and painful on the Yamaha. We are planning on touring around the US and need a bike that fit our needs.

My wife also wants a BMW because of the sexy lines and their reputation with their automobiles.

Here's my concerns: I am in the position to purchase any BMW motorcycle, but want to purchase the right bike for me. My options are the K1200LT or the R series motorcycles. I see where the RS was the "Touring Bike of the Year" in motorcycle magazine. This bike even beat the Goldwing. However, what makes this bike the champion compared to the LT? I will be purchasing a bike within the next two months and would appreciate everyone's thoughts because I do not want to ride a bike and think of the bike I could have had.

Warmest Regards,

Jeff
post #11 of 21 Old Jan 8th, 2011, 10:19 pm

I currently own three BMW bikes. An 1150 RT, 1200 LT and 1300 GT. For me, riding solo for short trips or 5500 mile cross countries, the RT is the bike, hands down. The ONLY thing that keeps it from being absolutely perfect for me is the lack of cruise control. The new 10 1200 RT would fix that plus give you an ever better engine. However, the wife, Ol' What's Her Name, doesn't like the accommodations for the pillion and won't ride the RT with me.

So, that's how I came to buy the LT. The LT is a very, very nice machine and can certainly cover the miles, but the seat on it is a torture device for my overloaded behind. However, the pillion is 5 star accommodations for the wife. The LT got an average of 46 mpg this past fall on a 4000+ mile trip to New England pulling a Bushtec trailer. In 93,000 miles, the LT has been trouble free other than a plugged charcoal cannister on our way to Death Valley two years ago. The LT does have cruise control but the weight and slow speed handling keep it from being my favorite. For two up riding, you'll not be sorry with it.

The GT is just a rocket sled. It isn't nearly as comfortable as the other two bikes but it sure does keep a smile planted on my face. I've just ordered a new 1600 GTL so when the bike comes in, and if I decide to keep it after a lengthy test ride with OWHN, I'll be off loading both the LT and the GT. The RT is staying with me until I assume room temperature.

The best advice I can give you is to take another ride on your buddy's LT then go to the dealer and take a nice test ride on a new RT and see which one you like best. Both bikes are incredibly capable. Just room for the two of us was sparse on the RT. Of course, we're not nearly as small as we were when we were dating on my Kawasaki 350 triple.

Either way you go you'll be getting a great bike. Let us know and don't forget the pictures!

Greg

"Loud lives save pipes"

00 K1200LT (Emil) 94,840 trouble free miles. Gone, but not forgotten
02 R1150RT (Artie) 109,000 miles. Favorite bike. With me to the end.
10 K1300GT (The Phantom) 10,110 miles. Like flying a T-38 on 2 wheels. Gone.
12 K1600GTL (Johnny 5) 3,500. A great compromise between the LT and GT

A gaggle of Japanese bikes, then I woke up.
post #12 of 21 Old Jan 8th, 2011, 10:20 pm

Welcome aboard Jeff, you have come to a great forum. I may be biased having owned a previous LT, but when my bride of 4-years expressed interest in riding I let her decide between the LT & RT and she much preferred the LT, which was my preference having owned one before. Just to be sure I took a 2010 RT out and that test ride cinched it for me in favor of the LT. For me, my riding style and my wife's needs the LT is the best two up touring bike. She has absolutely loved it so far. For me I have always preferred the K-bike power plant.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #13 of 21 Old Jan 8th, 2011, 10:37 pm

I bought my K1200LT in October. I have been riding since I was 14. I have a Mercedes E-class car. I haven't even started it since I got the 12. I ride in cold,(17 degrees),wet, hot, etc, and I just can't get enough of the bike. It is the most comfortable, "user friendly", motorcycle I have ever had. The only thing I don't understand is the corporate thought process that says "This is great and everybody just loves it. Let's change it".......
J.D.
post #14 of 21 Old Jan 8th, 2011, 11:34 pm

Has your wife ever considered an F bike? F800 ST? Depending on her size and riding experience, it could be something to consider. It's WAY lighter than an LT or RT.

Lawrence

2010 R1200 RT
2000 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

Blog:

post #15 of 21 Old Jan 9th, 2011, 7:51 am Thread Starter

To All,

Thank you everyone for your professionalism and experience. As you are all aware handing out the money for a top-of-line motorcycle is not an easy discision and must be done with research. After reading everyone's reply makes me want to buy one even more.

I will keep everyone in the loop and attach a picture of our new bike when we purchase one.

Warmest regards,

Jeff
post #16 of 21 Old Jan 9th, 2011, 8:30 am

Jeff
I have both an RT and an LT.
Although Karen and I have traveled many miles on a previous RT, there is little to beat the comfort of the LT. ( We did an Iron Butt ride of 11,000 miles on the LT.)
The LT seat needed rebuild for me but most pillion riders are happy with the stock seat.
I use the RT for solo riding and recently did a ride from Arkansas to Oregon and back in total comfort. BUT.....truth be told, I have also enjoyed many solo rides on the LT.........
( I use to do a 350 mile loop for lunch)
I'm just getting over the first of four surgeries to my hands and wrists but plan to take this Spring/Summer off to catch up on my riding. I believe you're close enough that we can do a tech. day and I'd be happy to show you fairing removal, fluid changes, etc.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #17 of 21 Old Jan 9th, 2011, 8:46 am

Hi Jeff, I've been riding since 1960 and my 2000 k1200lt is the best bike I've had, by far. I have an aftermarket seat, back rest, passenger arm rests and have been doing preemptive rebuilds and corrections on all the little things the lt needs attention to...final drive, gear shift linkage, fuel line quick connects, trunk latch, canister issue, clutch slave cylinder weep hole. There may be an issue or two I've forgotten, but, as you can see, it's a pretty short list and easily corrected for a lot of wonderful miles. My wife loves the comfortable rear seat, the heated element and the back rest. I love the power, economy, the way it looks like a bike should, riding curvy roads, cruise control, heated seats and grips, electric adjustable windshield, 6.2 gal. fuel...just yesterday, with a cold front on the way in, I jumped on her and took an hour ride on the beautiful curvy roads around here...thinking, how could it be better? No answer from me. I've got the best bike I could have for me at any price. Good luck on your hunting.

2000 Maroon [Canyon Red] K1200LTC
2006 DL650 [Red]
post #18 of 21 Old Jan 9th, 2011, 9:46 am

boy, if i were u, i'd wait for the k1600gt. it's coming in spring, why buy old technology. from what i hear the new eclipses anything thusfar from berlin.
post #19 of 21 Old Jan 9th, 2011, 11:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbeemer
boy, if i were u, i'd wait for the k1600gt. it's coming in spring, why buy old technology. from what i hear the new eclipses anything thusfar from berlin.
I would not want to be a test case for a new line. New technology sounds great but it needs time on the road to get the bugs out. Give me the OLD tried and true version any day. MHO

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #20 of 21 Old Jan 9th, 2011, 2:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARFIGHTER
Jeff
I have both an RT and an LT.
Although Karen and I have traveled many miles on a previous RT, there is little to beat the comfort of the LT. ( We did an Iron Butt ride of 11,000 miles on the LT.)
The LT seat needed rebuild for me but most pillion riders are happy with the stock seat.
I use the RT for solo riding and recently did a ride from Arkansas to Oregon and back in total comfort. BUT.....truth be told, I have also enjoyed many solo rides on the LT.........
( I use to do a 350 mile loop for lunch)
I'm just getting over the first of four surgeries to my hands and wrists but plan to take this Spring/Summer off to catch up on my riding. I believe you're close enough that we can do a tech. day and I'd be happy to show you fairing removal, fluid changes, etc.
how long do you take for lunch???
post #21 of 21 Old Jan 9th, 2011, 5:27 pm

retired.....
I can take all day.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in