What's the deal with the steering damper on the 1200LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jan 7th, 2011, 8:11 pm Thread Starter

What's the deal with the steering damper on the 1200LT

I have a '99 LT with a steering damper that has probably empty of fluid for awhile. Do I forget about it, rebuild it, or buy the new $300+ after market replacement. I rode it 6K last year and didn't miss it. Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jan 8th, 2011, 12:04 am

Re: What's the deal with the steering damper on the 1200LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8trto
I have a '99 LT with a steering damper that has probably empty of fluid for awhile. Do I forget about it, rebuild it, or buy the new $300+ after market replacement. I rode it 6K last year and didn't miss it. Thanks for your input.
Generally if you ALWAYS have your hand on the bars early bikes seldom if ever head shake. However with worn tires or a funky road surface and you happen to take hands OFF the bars ... violent head shake may happen that with a functioning damper is a non issue ... a defective damper won't do squat if that happens. The rest as they say is happen chance

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
T
wisties Required

post #3 of 5 Old Jan 8th, 2011, 1:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead
Generally if you ALWAYS have your hand on the bars early bikes seldom if ever head shake. However with worn tires or a funky road surface and you happen to take hands OFF the bars ... violent head shake may happen that with a functioning damper is a non issue ... a defective damper won't do squat if that happens. The rest as they say is happen chance
I would agree. It took some effort with mine to even experience the hands off wobble that is talked about. However, having experienced a full fledged tank slapper on another brand of bike, the cost of a steering damper is cheap insurance against the perhaps rare event on your LT. It's there for a reason, if it's defective replace it.

post #4 of 5 Old Jan 8th, 2011, 8:39 am
r75

Smile Re: What's the deal with the steering damper on the 1200LT

I'd try to rebuild it

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51279
post #5 of 5 Old Jan 8th, 2011, 10:47 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

First be sure it is dead. With the front wheel off the ground move the handle bars from stop to stop. First slowly and then as fast as you can. If there is no difference in feel it is shot. Mine is fine but it never did squat to the head shake when I had it. Don't think it was intended to stop that.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in