Anyone Successful in mounting any aftermarket Trunk Racks? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 6:29 pm Thread Starter

Anyone Successful in mounting any aftermarket Trunk Racks?

I have been looking at Show Chrome, Krome Werks, Kuryakyn, and Ztechnik Trunk Racks for my K1200lt and wondered if anyone out there has installed anything other than the factory BMW Racks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 6:54 pm

Re: Anyone Successful in mounting any aftermarket Trunk Racks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlovelac
I have been looking at Show Chrome, Krome Werks, Kuryakyn, and Ztechnik Trunk Racks for my K1200lt and wondered if anyone out there has installed anything other than the factory BMW Racks?
In addition to those you mentioned, there are also a lot of BMW trunks sporting a rack from the Harley Davidson line. I just did a search, using 'Trunk Rack' as key wording and nearly 300 threads appeared with content regarding trunk racks. There should be some fairly detailed responses there, including usage, installation and likes/dislikes. I only have experience with the BMW OEM unit, with the upper brake light embedded therein. Many folks have added an LED unit to the edge of their specific rack, and connected it to the brake light feature of the LT. A definite plus, IMO. Good luck with your project.
post #3 of 35 Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 7:00 am Thread Starter

Hi Dick,

Thanks for the response. I did use the search function to look for simillar threads and will have to do that agian. I have contacted the sellers of my previously mentioned Trunk Racks and no one seems willing to commit to their rack fitting my bike, stating that "These racks fit many bikes". I am sure they want to sell their Rack and that "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" so they don't want to be making decisions about what may or may not be functional or look like it belongs on the bike as they want to make a sale but still have happy customers. My next step is to contact my local BMW Dealer regarding any experiences they may have with aftermarket racks. I am sure they would prefer that I buy a factory rack or the Ztechnick but if I can get one that fits and looks decent for $69.00 versus $300, I'll opt for the former.

Thanks again,

Mike

post #4 of 35 Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 8:05 am

Thumbs up Harley rack on my LT

I put the Harley rack on my LT about six weeks ago. The adapters kit is made by Paul Sayegh. The quality of the adapter kit made by Paul is of the highest quality and made to exacting detail. His web site gives very good comprehensive instructions and photos. He is also quick to reply to emails. I was able to purchase the adapter kit only and supplied my own Harley rack and rack bag. The install was very straight forward and took about a half a day.....You really take your time when drilling into painted BMW parts, in the back of your mind all you can think of is $$$.$$

The rack looks very appropriate on the bike and most definitely DOES NOT look like a J.C. Whitney add-on. I was able to get my Harley rack and rack bag on Ebay for about $120.00 and the adapter kit was $69.95 so I have about $200.00 invested in the whole kit.

I took a 1500 mile trip the week after the install. The Harley rack with the expandable rack bag will carry MUCH more cargo then any other rack / bag combination. If you fully fill the bag with your lighter items the LT rides and handles extremely well. This kit is a viable option and the best bargain / value out there. This kit will carry twice the cargo volume of the BMW rack / bag combination and it looks great. If you visit Sayegh's web site you will be impressed. Hope this helps, Steve

Here is the web site and a few pics from the site.

http://www.sayegh.org/bmw/rack.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	luggage_rack.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	30014   Click image for larger version

Name:	luggage_bag1.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	30015   Click image for larger version

Name:	luggage_bag3.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	30016  

Last edited by SteveL; Jan 3rd, 2011 at 8:17 am.
post #5 of 35 Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 8:23 am

Mike
If you are adding a rack to a early model, seriously consider the Harley rack and their expandable bag designed for it. Both are cheap (by BMW standards), roomy, and top quality. I prefer it to the BMW rack on my '08 and it looks good.

You must extend the feet, but that's pretty easy or Paul Sayegh sells a kit.

http://www.sayegh.org/bmw/rack.ht

Richard Wright
'99 K1200LT Champagne(in Heidelberg)
'08 K1200LT Black
post #6 of 35 Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 8:33 am

Re: Harley rack on my LT

This looks like another potential option:

http://www.amazon.com/DRAG-SPECIALTI...064672&sr=1-23

Is the Harley rack the "Harley Davidson Premium Tour Pak Luggage Rack?" What parts does the adapter kit give you? Seems pricey at $70 but if there's a lot of adaptation required it makes sense.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #7 of 35 Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 9:16 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL
I put the Harley rack on my LT about six weeks ago. The adapters kit is made by Paul Sayegh. The quality of the adapter kit made by Paul is of the highest quality and made to exacting detail. His web site gives very good comprehensive instructions and photos. He is also quick to reply to emails. I was able to purchase the adapter kit only and supplied my own Harley rack and rack bag. The install was very straight forward and took about a half a day.....You really take your time when drilling into painted BMW parts, in the back of your mind all you can think of is $$$.$$

The rack looks very appropriate on the bike and most definitely DOES NOT look like a J.C. Whitney add-on. I was able to get my Harley rack and rack bag on Ebay for about $120.00 and the adapter kit was $69.95 so I have about $200.00 invested in the whole kit.

I took a 1500 mile trip the week after the install. The Harley rack with the expandable rack bag will carry MUCH more cargo then any other rack / bag combination. If you fully fill the bag with your lighter items the LT rides and handles extremely well. This kit is a viable option and the best bargain / value out there. This kit will carry twice the cargo volume of the BMW rack / bag combination and it looks great. If you visit Sayegh's web site you will be impressed. Hope this helps, Steve

Here is the web site and a few pics from the site.

+1
The hardest part was the drilling the first hole but Paul's instructions were great!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #8 of 35 Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 11:13 am

Smile Re: Anyone Successful in mounting any aftermarket Trunk Racks?

+1 on Paul's rack!
post #9 of 35 Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 11:20 am

I have the Harley rack and bag and they are great. The new Harley rack I think has a light in it now.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #10 of 35 Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 11:23 am

There are several after market options based on what I've read over the years on this site. There is one that uses the same holes the BMW OEM plastic rack uses.

The first topcase rack available, even before BMW started putting 'em on was Paul S's Harley rack adaptation. I put his HD adaptation on my 2000 about 10 years ago. I've had it over loaded to somewhere between 20 and 30 lbs. with camping gear and then pounded over the pot-holed, frost heaved back roads of northern New England. I fully expected damage, cracking of the top case; not at all.... The rack looks good and is very rugged and functional.
10 years, 83,000 miles and no regrets. Thanks Paul.

Addendum:
from the technical page, accessories: I believe this is the aftermarket rack that uses the same holes that the BMW OEM plastic rack uses. If your bike is already drilled for the OEM rack, this would be a good option.

http://shop.ztechnik.com/cgi-bin/zte...h_model=bm-073

Last edited by CharlieVT; Jan 3rd, 2011 at 2:52 pm.
post #11 of 35 Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 4:07 pm Thread Starter

I guess this is what I get for posting this morning and then going to work all day.

All of you guys are AWESOME with the quick replies and great information. I will get busy and sift through the web links and sites. From what I have seen on the photo's you sent, the Harley Rack with the extensions looks like the solution that I am after. It looks great on the bike and obviously holds a lot more than the BMW Rack. I really appreciate the input from those that have "been there, done that". I'll get on ebay and start looking for the Harley Rack. I have done some looking already and the Tour Pak Rack seems to fall into the "ball park" measurements (12" x 20") that would seem appropriate. Let me know if I am off base here or if you have racks that are larger or smaller. Once again,THANKS!!!!! for the awesome responses, and I will keep you all posted with my progress and submit pictures when I am done.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
There are several after market options based on what I've read over the years on this site. There is one that uses the same holes the BMW OEM plastic rack uses.

The first topcase rack available, even before BMW started putting 'em on was Paul S's Harley rack adaptation. I put his HD adaptation on my 2000 about 10 years ago. I've had it over loaded to somewhere between 20 and 30 lbs. with camping gear and then pounded over the pot-holed, frost heaved back roads of northern New England. I fully expected damage, cracking of the top case; not at all.... The rack looks good and is very rugged and functional.

Addendum:
from the technical page, accessories: I believe this is the aftermarket rack that uses the same holes that the BMW OEM plastic rack uses. If your bike is already drilled for the OEM rack, this would be a good option.

post #12 of 35 Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 4:44 pm

I alway prefer Ztechnik rack over BMW OEM rack since I can carry my bicycle easier on Ztechnik due to existance of a lip on Ztechnik. But installation is not very smooth. You need to enlarge the existing holes for BMW OEM rack.

Quote:

Addendum:

Attached Images
File Type: bmp bikeonbike.bmp (225.1 KB, 93 views)

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #13 of 35 Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 5:07 pm

Quote:
...... I'll get on ebay and start looking for the Harley Rack.....
Careful..... you don't want to just buy the Harley Rack. Paul S's kit provides specific instructions for mounting the rack on the LT and four machined "feet" which will not come with the rack if you purchase from another source.

So you don't want to just buy the rack on eBay. I don't know Paul S., I just bought his rack a decade ago when it was the only choice for the LT. As I understand it, he did a bulk order of racks, machined up a bunch of the feet which enlarge the surface contact of the rack's legs with the top of the trunk and have the correct angles to match the rack to the curve of the trunk. It is these custom fabricated feet that make the HD rack a superb fit on the LT's top case. Without them the mount won't be as structurally sound and will look like a HD rack stuck on an LT rather than looking like it was made for the LT.

Scroll down on this the page linked below for pics and installation instructions:

Last edited by CharlieVT; Jan 3rd, 2011 at 5:27 pm.
post #14 of 35 Old Jan 4th, 2011, 12:34 am

Exclamation Which Harley rack?

The Harley rack adapter kit from Paul Sayegh contains four precision machined feet that will only fit with the correct Harley rack. The adapter kit adapts the angles of the harley rack legs to the curves of the LT trunk lid and add the clearance to prevent the rack from rubbing against the LT's paint. The adapters are aircraft quality machined aluminum and I am sure the machining time to make the feet far exceeds the amount charged for this level of quality machine work.

I belive the rack needed is the Harley Davidson HD Premium Tour-Pak Luggage Rack part No. is ( Rack-53665-87 ) There are many non-Harley nock off copies of this rack out there for less $$ then Harley wants for theirs.

Sayegh has the correct rack and bags available through his web site at a good price.

STEVE
post #15 of 35 Old Jan 4th, 2011, 12:57 am

Harley rack here ... Paul lives within 10 miles of me so just dropped by to say Hi and pay him some coin. Mind you this was @ 6 years ago.

L.E.D. brake light a PILOT brand in window that cost about $30
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LED tail light.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	390.8 KB
ID:	30030  

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #16 of 35 Old Jan 4th, 2011, 9:49 am

I installed the Ztechnik rack on my 99 LT without issues...

It's far heavier duty than most of the others..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #17 of 35 Old Jan 4th, 2011, 10:24 am

Talking Re: Harley rack on my LT

Here here I put a stock rack on mine 8-9 years ago and drilling the first hole took over an hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
+1
The hardest part was the drilling the first hole but Paul's instructions were great!

Tim In Portland

2000 Lt Icon
"Ike"

post #18 of 35 Old Jan 4th, 2011, 9:57 pm

I installed the Ztecnik on my '99 LT. I used their template, located, measured and checked it several times. Then I went in and had lunch before I came back and looked at it again. When I got it where I wanted I lightly center punched it and drilled with a Forstner bit to get a clean hole and not have the drill bit get pulled into the material. I noticed the Harley rack mounts through the vinyl material which doesn't seem to give a firm mounting point. The Ztecknik brake light is very noticeable but not over stated. I found the brake light wire under the rear seat and spliced in there, ran the wire up the front of the trunk with the other wires going into the trunk lid. Later model LT's already have the wires for the luggage rack brake light tucked in behind the vanity mirror. After you get it mounted be careful when you open the trunk with weight strapped to the rack. It will fall forward pretty hard and possibly break something.
post #19 of 35 Old Jan 5th, 2011, 12:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsBMWminer
Here here I put a stock rack on mine 8-9 years ago and drilling the first hole took over an hour
It wasn't difficult just that I felt that I was violating the ol gal. Same feeling when I mounted a rack on the K75.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #20 of 35 Old Jan 5th, 2011, 1:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8trto
....I noticed the Harley rack mounts through the vinyl material which doesn't seem to give a firm mounting point.....
I was a little concerned about mounting the rack on the vinyl back in 2000 when I did it. Absolutely no problem after many years and miles of use. This is not a reason to avoid the Paul's Harley rack adaption if it looks like the right rack for someone.
post #21 of 35 Old Jan 5th, 2011, 8:36 pm

Probably the strongest thing mounted on my bike. It was a scary thing drilling that first hole!

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #22 of 35 Old Jan 6th, 2011, 8:04 am Thread Starter

HI Motorhead,

Thanks for the reply, Your set up looks AWESOME !!!!!!!! Love the Brake Light and your bike is a twin to mine, a 2000 Canyon Red lt. I love the look and will be ordering the mounting hardware for sure, and maybe the rack too from Paul as soon as I get the $$ together. I will be doing my research to find your brake light. This site is unbelievable, just what I needed, information and expertise from people with great ideas that make our rides even better than they already are. Thanks again to everyone who has responded to my inquiry.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead
Harley rack here ... Paul lives within 10 miles of me so just dropped by to say Hi and pay him some coin. Mind you this was @ 6 years ago.

L.E.D. brake light a PILOT brand in window that cost about $30
post #23 of 35 Old Jan 8th, 2011, 9:36 pm Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

Just to keep everyone up to date, I emailed Paul requesting a price on the mounting hardware but have not heard back from him yet. I have the Harley Rack already, $75.00, and am eyeballing several LED Brake Light Bars on ebay for around $25.00, but have not decided on which one yet. I did look at the new Harley Davidson Racks with the built in LED Brake Light which also includes running the brake light wires inside the rack which makes it real clean, but they are running about $175.00, then you have to purchase the LED Light to mount on the rack separately for about $75.00 and it has HARLEY DAVIDSON engraved into the light so I am not interested, plus I don't know if they will work with Paul's mounting hardware. If everything works out right I'll have an estimated $170.00 into what everyone else has already done, and I am fine with that. I'll let you all know when it all comes together.

Thanks again for all the input,

Mike

Quote:
HI Motorhead,

Thanks for the reply, Your set up looks AWESOME !!!!!!!! Love the Brake Light and your bike is a twin to mine, a 2000 Canyon Red lt. I love the look and will be ordering the mounting hardware for sure, and maybe the rack too from Paul as soon as I get the $$ together. I will be doing my research to find your brake light. This site is unbelievable, just what I needed, information and expertise from people with great ideas that make our rides even better than they already are. Thanks again to everyone who has responded to my inquiry.

Mike
post #24 of 35 Old Jan 8th, 2011, 10:46 pm

In my opinion Z-Technik is superior than Harley rack. Z-Technik uses the same holes as OEM. Harley rack opens holes into vinyl area. Paul was supporting the earlier models. All of his DVDs focus on the old design. I do not understand why you want to go to the old method which is probably obsolete by now if Paul is no longer supporting it.

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Just to keep everyone up to date, I emailed Paul requesting a price on the mounting hardware but have not heard back from him yet. I have the Harley Rack already, $75.00, and am eyeballing several LED Brake Light Bars on ebay for around $25.00, but have not decided on which one yet. I did look at the new Harley Davidson Racks with the built in LED Brake Light which also includes running the brake light wires inside the rack which makes it real clean, but they are running about $175.00, then you have to purchase the LED Light to mount on the rack separately for about $75.00 and it has HARLEY DAVIDSON engraved into the light so I am not interested, plus I don't know if they will work with Paul's mounting hardware. If everything works out right I'll have an estimated $170.00 into what everyone else has already done, and I am fine with that. I'll let you all know when it all comes together.

Mike

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #25 of 35 Old Jan 8th, 2011, 11:25 pm

MattKas...I think that the point of the thread was to find out if there are less expensive ways to put a luggage rack on the LT besides plunking down $300+ for one...That ZTechnik rack may be the berries, and it may cost less than the factory one, but not a lot less...I can appreciate that "The Best" may always be the best, but not everyone is on an unlimited budget. Not trying to deflate your bubble, just coughing up a reality check.

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #26 of 35 Old Jan 8th, 2011, 11:59 pm

Wish I still had the info in contacting Paul .... this many years later no longer have his info or would make the local call and see if he still offers this conversion ... O'well.

Also added this ...
http://www.nextag.com/norob/PtitleSe...Gxp69n6ar6Ggpz

The pilot LED light here ... http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oGd...62%26PCID=1072

Quote:
HI Motorhead,

Mike

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #27 of 35 Old Jan 9th, 2011, 6:21 am

I think you may have made a mistake. I tried to tell you in an earlier post not to just buy a HD rack, and I included this link in that post:

I don't know what the status of the site is, but the link works for me so I assume the site is active. I think you should have queried Paul before you bought a rack. My understanding of what Paul did years ago when no rack was available was make a bulk purchase of HD racks and the custom bags that go on the rack and then fabricate the mounting hardware creating "kits". If you have purchased a HD rack from another source and now want just the mounting hardware from Paul that would leave him holding a HD rack, something he understandably wouldn't want to do. I'm not trying to speak for him here, I wouldn't presume to; just saying I think you missed the point of my earlier post, post #13 in this thread.

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Mike

Last edited by CharlieVT; Jan 9th, 2011 at 8:53 am.
post #28 of 35 Old Jan 9th, 2011, 10:50 am Thread Starter

Hi Charlie,

Look at post #4 and it says the mounting hardware is available for $70 and post #14 gives the Harley Rack #. I did send an email to Paul inquiring about the hardware kit availability and cost but haven't heard back from his yet. I asked him about the rack # and advised if I had the wrong one I would buy one from him. If I do have the wrong rack I can easily sell it on eBay for more than what I have in it. I am flexible in dealing with Paul and will buy the rack and hardware from him if necessary. I will let you all know whats going on when I hear back from Paul.

Thanks,

Mike

Quote:
I think you may have made a mistake. I tried to tell you in an earlier post not to just buy a HD rack, and I included this link in that post:

I don't know what the status of the site is, but the link works for me so I assume the site is active. I think you should have queried Paul before you bought a rack. My understanding of what Paul did years ago when no rack was available was make a bulk purchase of HD racks and the custom bags that go on the rack and then fabricate the mounting hardware creating "kits". If you have purchased a HD rack from another source and now want just the mounting hardware from Paul that would leave him holding a HD rack, something he understandably wouldn't want to do. I'm not trying to speak for him here, I wouldn't presume to; just saying I think you missed the point of my earlier post, post #13 in this thread.
post #29 of 35 Old Jan 9th, 2011, 11:23 am

The Harley rack fit perfectly on top of my Sears cargo carrier on top of my Harbor Freight trailer which rolls on Timken bearings and is pulled by my BMW.

That Marsee bag will more than double the trunk storage, fits greats and dramatically reduces turbulence for the passenger when mounted on the LT. Comes with a rain cover too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	trailerrack1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	30091   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailerrack2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	30092  

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jan 9th, 2011 at 11:37 am.
post #30 of 35 Old Jan 9th, 2011, 11:31 am

Hi Mike,
Good news! mea culpa, I didn't realize the mounting kit was available separately. Sounds like it have the plan well in hand.

I think you'll be very pleased with the Harley rack adaptation once you get all the components together. Again, I've had mine on my 2000 for 10 years or so and found it very rugged and functional.
I did mount a LED light bar on the back and plugged it into the wire that is tucked away inside the top case behind the vanity light inside the case. I don't remember the source of the light bar, someone suggested it on this site long ago.
Attached are a couple of pics showing how I mounted it. It would have been nicer if I had found stainless components; this is how it looks after 10 years and 80K+ miles. Components were all found at the local hardware store.
I had fastened the lightbar to a metal strap with adhesive which started to come unbonded at some point, that's why a couple of zip-ties. (form follows function )
Have fun.

Quote:
Hi Charlie,

Look at post #4 and it says the mounting hardware is available for $70 and post #14 gives the Harley Rack #. I did send an email to Paul inquiring about the hardware kit availability and cost but haven't heard back from his yet. I asked him about the rack # and advised if I had the wrong one I would buy one from him. If I do have the wrong rack I can easily sell it on eBay for more than what I have in it. I am flexible in dealing with Paul and will buy the rack and hardware from him if necessary. I will let you all know whats going on when I hear back from Paul.

Thanks,

Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Brakelight 001.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	30087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brakelight 004.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	280.7 KB
ID:	30088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brakelight 005.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	30089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike loaded for camping.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	495.7 KB
ID:	30090  
post #31 of 35 Old Jan 10th, 2011, 10:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
The Harley rack fit perfectly on top of my Sears cargo carrier on top of my Harbor Freight trailer which rolls on Timken bearings and is pulled by my BMW.

That Marsee bag will more than double the trunk storage, fits greats and dramatically reduces turbulence for the passenger when mounted on the LT. Comes with a rain cover too.

Hijack:

Ron, did you have to strengthen the roof of the trailer at all to install the harley rack and accomodate the Marsee bag?

Thanks,
Glenn

END Hijack

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #32 of 35 Old Jan 14th, 2011, 10:22 pm Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

I just sent my $80.00 to Paul for his Harley Davidson Luggage Rack Mounting Kit (that includes shipping), He advised it would take three days to make the kit and about three days for shipping. I will keep you posted !!!!!!

Thanks,

Mike
post #33 of 35 Old Jan 19th, 2011, 8:43 pm

OK guys, just happened to stop by......Yes, I still offer the luggage rack kit. I do occasionally get requests for the hardware kits and the price typically depends if I have extras made or not. Back when this was a hot item, I paid to have the feet machined on a CNC machine and I cut the proper angle for the top box at my shop saving me a lot of time and effort.

With sales slower it is not practical to outsource the feet and they are machined here at my shop on non-automatic machines in small volume. It takes time, setup and cleanup on both my lathe, mill and polishing equipment. What I am trying to say is that the process is slow and time consuming and I apologize for the price increases but it's still a great bargain in my opinion.

To keep the overall price down, I try to make a few bucks on the rack and buy from a dealer who will give me a break for quantity. The price continued to rise at Sacramento Harley until I got no break at all and had to switch dealers. When I do get a quantity break I try to have a sale on my web site and pass the savings on to you.

FYI, I have sold about 700 of these kits and drilling through the vinyl and the plastic beneath it is no issue. Never a return or complaint. It's rock solid when installed as directed. As with any bike, load your lightest gear on the highest storage area to avoid being top heavy.

I will most likely not offer just the hardware kits anymore due to the hassle factor but will still offer the complete kit with rack and assistance to those that need it.

I hope that answers your concerns.....

Paul S.
Producer of the K1200LT Service Videos
Maker of the HD Lugage Rack kit

post #34 of 35 Old Jan 20th, 2011, 4:31 am

My thanks Paul for making this rack available.
I know I load too much up high but my pillion rider is forgiving when I tip over in the parking lot.
My point is that I have loaded 25lbs of camping gear (yes I weighed it) and banged along bumpy, frost heaved, pot holed roads in Vermont and New Hampshire.
After 10 years, 82,000 miles, and that kind of "load testing" I can certify that your rack setup is solid, strong, and functional. In 2000 your rack was the only custom fit option that I was aware of and I was glad to be able to get one.
Much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psayegh
OK guys, just happened to stop by......Yes, I still offer the luggage rack kit. I do occasionally get requests for the hardware kits and the price typically depends if I have extras made or not. Back when this was a hot item, I paid to have the feet machined on a CNC machine and I cut the proper angle for the top box at my shop saving me a lot of time and effort.

With sales slower it is not practical to outsource the feet and they are machined here at my shop on non-automatic machines in small volume. It takes time, setup and cleanup on both my lathe, mill and polishing equipment. What I am trying to say is that the process is slow and time consuming and I apologize for the price increases but it's still a great bargain in my opinion.

To keep the overall price down, I try to make a few bucks on the rack and buy from a dealer who will give me a break for quantity. The price continued to rise at Sacramento Harley until I got no break at all and had to switch dealers. When I do get a quantity break I try to have a sale on my web site and pass the savings on to you.

FYI, I have sold about 700 of these kits and drilling through the vinyl and the plastic beneath it is no issue. Never a return or complaint. It's rock solid when installed as directed. As with any bike, load your lightest gear on the highest storage area to avoid being top heavy.

I will most likely not offer just the hardware kits anymore due to the hassle factor but will still offer the complete kit with rack and assistance to those that need it.

I hope that answers your concerns.....
post #35 of 35 Old Feb 4th, 2011, 12:29 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Anyone Successful in mounting any aftermarket Trunk Racks?

Hi Guys,

I just got my Luggage Rack Installation Kit from Paul in the mail this morning and I must say it was well worth the wait time and price. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND his product to anyone remotely thinking of adding a Luggage Rack to their bike. The machining is flawless and I can't wait to get started on the installation.

I am extremely busy at work right now but I will post pictures when I get the project completed.

All of you have been very helpful in mentoring me along the way. I have been reading a lot of posts and am learning a ton of information regarding my bike.

This site is invaluable and a "HUGE THANK YOU' goes out to who ever started it and to those who continue to contribute to it.

Thanks again,

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in