Nothing is broken, farkles are installed, bike is clean, what should I do? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 10:25 am Thread Starter

Nothing is broken, farkles are installed, bike is clean, what should I do?

The recent thread on LT reliability brought to mind my day yesterday. I was done installing some new stuff (iPhone charger and isolation circuit, RADAR detector on a custom bracket), so I found myself...lost. Most of the day was gone and I couldn't think of a ride I wanted to do in 40 degree weather, so I walked around the bike repeatedly. What to do. I grabbed the polishing rags and Zaino ultra finish and wiped it down once more. Sprayed the black stuff with Meguiar's exterior trim detailer. Got down on the ground and cleaned the brake goo off the wheels with heavy duty cleaner, then put the Zaino finish on them.

So now what. Walk around some more. Stare. Admire. Polish one tiny spot I missed.

Now what.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 10:42 am

Wink Re: Nothing is broken, farkles are installed, bike is clean, what should I do?

i fully agree it about -5 C here snow in driveway. finished my maintence & goodie install.
even cleaned the shop need weather to change.so i can take her out for a test ride.

is it spring yet
post #3 of 9 Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 11:20 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Nothing is broken, farkles are installed, bike is clean, what should I do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez
The recent thread on LT reliability brought to mind my day yesterday. I was done installing some new stuff (iPhone charger and isolation circuit, RADAR detector on a custom bracket), so I found myself...lost. Most of the day was gone and I couldn't think of a ride I wanted to do in 40 degree weather, so I walked around the bike repeatedly. What to do. I grabbed the polishing rags and Zaino ultra finish and wiped it down once more. Sprayed the black stuff with Meguiar's exterior trim detailer. Got down on the ground and cleaned the brake goo off the wheels with heavy duty cleaner, then put the Zaino finish on them.

So now what. Walk around some more. Stare. Admire. Polish one tiny spot I missed.

Now what.
40 aint cold ... gear up and go for a ride.
I was out this morning for a few miles @ 35 degrees .

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 9 Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 11:34 am

40 degrees isn't that cold. Turn on the heated seats and grips and find out how much fun you can have on the LT.

Darryl
2000 K1200LT, Champagne, "The First Lady"
2009 DL650, Silver(Fastest),"WeeStrom"
2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (gone)
post #5 of 9 Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 12:11 pm

Take up 'Fly-tying' and wait it out..................

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT
post #6 of 9 Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 2:33 pm

Talking Re: Nothing is broken, farkles are installed, bike is clean, what should I do?

18 degrees this morning riding to Church and back, about 30 miles. YeeHaa.

Mine could use some polishing, but then I'd have cold fingers......it'll wait. LOL

Vern

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #7 of 9 Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 2:35 pm

Talking Re: Nothing is broken, farkles are installed, bike is clean, what should I do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
40 aint cold ... gear up and go for a ride.
I was out this morning for a few miles @ 35 degrees .
+1! Do what Steve said: Ride it! 40' ain't cold, just cool. We rode yesterday in the lower 30's and had a great ride. That is what heated gear or layering is all about. Plus ya got the heated grips and seat!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #8 of 9 Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 2:50 pm

Did about 200 miles today with temps 32F - 35F. Feel great now. We've got a bank holiday tomorrow so maybe same again. Been out 3 times in the last week and very happy to do so after being snowbound from the 26th November.
post #9 of 9 Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 8:55 am Thread Starter

I should clarify that 40 won't stop me, however all the rides that I'd really like to do involve climbing altitude where it has just snowed. The local rides aren't as interesting, at least they weren't for the current mood.

I ended up flying RC planes with the boy and then just riding to some errands in town. Playing with the new detector and getting the new HID headlight adjusted right.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in