Power outlets not in a good location - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Dec 31st, 2010, 10:25 pm Thread Starter

Question Power outlets not in a good location

I was disappointed to see that the power outlet locations on the 2009 LT seem to be optimized for heated clothing. I would like to be able to charge my cell phone, and having an outlet by my left foot, or by the passenger armrest do me no good.

I would love to somehow have a power outlet in the center console. Is there any way to do that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Dec 31st, 2010, 11:49 pm

Re: Power outlets not in a good location

I've heard that someone has installed a plug in the top case. I don't remember who and a search might not work out so well. I'm sure somebody will be along shortly that has the info you're looking for.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #3 of 18 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 7:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKilpatrick
I was disappointed to see that the power outlet locations on the 2009 LT seem to be optimized for heated clothing. I would like to be able to charge my cell phone, and having an outlet by my left foot, or by the passenger armrest do me no good.

I would love to somehow have a power outlet in the center console. Is there any way to do that?
You can have a Power-let???? installed just about anywhere you want as long as it will fit below the body work.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?

post #4 of 18 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 8:37 am

Some folks run a power lead to the tank bag. You can then plug in your cell phone or any other device and keep it safe in the tank bag. Also, some tank bags are already set up for power connection.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #5 of 18 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 8:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatzo
Some folks run a power lead to the tank bag. You can then plug in your cell phone or any other device and keep it safe in the tank bag. Also, some tank bags are already set up for power connection.
That's what we use. Check out RKA's In-Charge series of tank bags. A single power cable runs from the battery into the tank bag. From there, you can do whatever you want. We charge our cell phone and power the GPS with it.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
post #6 of 18 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 8:51 am

Check out www.aerostich.com. Their latest catalog (which I wish they would stop sending because it has too much in it that I want, but don't need) has several "all-weather power outlets."

Their latest catalog, page 21 has two, along with other accessories. One is $15 the other $20.00.

I'm sure their web site list more.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #7 of 18 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 1:03 pm
cwo

I mounted a power socket on the right side, just under the seat. Then used fused power from the battery
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCNpower0133.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	29980  

Life is ephemeral. Don't waste it lookin up big words.
post #8 of 18 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 1:06 pm

Yeah, the outlet locations make no sense to me. For anything; why would I plug heated clothing in by my foot??

Anyway, installing an outlet is nothing tricky. Either a Powerlet or regular cigar lighter. There are lots of options available at automotive stores for the standard lighter type. One that could be good for what you want is taking a lighter extension cord and putting the end inside the box in the Stingray, then running it direct to the battery (with a fuse of course).

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #9 of 18 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 2:02 pm

I have my tank bag powered and thats also where my controller is for my heated clothes.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #10 of 18 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 4:58 pm

I put mine in the top case,
Like this? you can get a power "source" behind the left rear speaker
under ten bucks at the auto parts store,
notched the plastic put a split rubber hose around it
and added a switch even though it only has power when the bike is running.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bmw 001.jpg
Views:	1305
Size:	328.7 KB
ID:	30002  

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #11 of 18 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 5:28 pm

I use the rear left outlet, throw the cell in the trunk and use the blue tooth in helmet. If you need another outlet you can buy a dual plug in and use one outlet for cell and the other for accessories. Am I missing something?
post #12 of 18 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 6:44 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
That's what we use. Check out RKA's In-Charge series of tank bags. A single power cable runs from the battery into the tank bag. From there, you can do whatever you want. We charge our cell phone and power the GPS with it.

Those look really cool. However, it looks to me like they would obscure the built-in GPS. Does anyone have one of these that can confirm/deny?
post #13 of 18 Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 7:07 am

I have installed an outlet in the oddments box for my iPod, straight from the battery via a fuse and one in the topcase like Silver Buffalo. Neither are difficult to do,
post #14 of 18 Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 8:05 am

Quote:
Those look really cool. However, it looks to me like they would obscure the built-in GPS. Does anyone have one of these that can confirm/deny?
I am using an RKA tank bag with the factory gps mount and a Zumo 550 on an '08. No problems here. RKA is good stuff!

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #15 of 18 Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 7:58 pm

Quote:
I can't help you with that one. My GPS is on a RAM mount on the front of the RKA tank bag. The GPS obscures the the audio system buttons, however. Not a big deal, as those can be memorized or you can just look over or around the GPS if you need something.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	387
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	30013  

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #16 of 18 Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 11:03 am

I installed outlets in the trunk kind of like Silver Buffalos, I have a cigarette lighter on the left dash where the BC display is on pre-2005s (mine is a 2005 and I just have a blank there), and I have a USB port installed inside the oddments box for my cell phone...with a connector into the factory radio/intercom.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #17 of 18 Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 11:05 am

Almost a year ago, the OEM battery in my '08 failed. I bought Costco's PSX power station for $65. I took it apart for the 18AH battery which fit nicely and has served perfectly for almost a year. Here's a description and picture from a different source

http://itemsave.com/powerstation-psx...ump-p-146.html

This week during the bike's 24K service, I installed the rest of the PSX parts on the bike, including the 12v socket. I chose the area near the headlight adjust knob because its convenient to my UMPC (computer) and there is plenty of space behind that panel. I connected it to the unused power pigtail (near the fuel pump) so that it would be properly fused.

I also mounted the air pump and pressure gage from the PSX. By the way, the pump is really a good one. Much better than Harbor Freight's smallest. I opened then ends of the the long ago removed fuel cannister to use it's shell. The pump fits inside and is just cable tied in place with a high density foam spacer. The pressure gage fits nicely in the space just behind the battery and doesn't need to be mounted.

Power comes from the same fused power pigtail as the outlet but goes through a small switch (see photo).

I used flexible drip irrigation tubing and barbed fittings to connect the pump to the gauge and tire fitting. It provides plenty of volume and enough hose to reach the front tire takes no extra space under the seat. The hose tucks nicely under the left side panel. I put a cable tie over each hose end and fitting for a little extra bite. I tested the pressure to 100lbs for over and hour with no problems or pressure loss. I'm a little concerned with everything staying sealed on a hot day, but that will have to wait for a hot day. It's really sweet to be able to add air, flip off the switch when it's correct, and not have to mess with a separate gauge or check it twice.

If I didn't already have a battery tender, the PSX comes with a nice one and includes a volt meter. It would just need a box. They supply a cable with dual 2 plugs that could charge the bike through the newly installed socket.

Has any one used SLIME tire fix? Does it work? I plan to carry a 18oz tube of it since I now have air on board. There is a spot between the front forks to carry it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	auto power outlet.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	30017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Air pump mount.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	30018   Click image for larger version

Name:	switch.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	30019   Click image for larger version

Name:	SLIME holder.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	30020  

Richard Wright
'99 K1200LT Champagne(in Heidelberg)
'08 K1200LT Black

Last edited by Richdude; Jan 3rd, 2011 at 11:20 am.
post #18 of 18 Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 11:57 am
Sit

I put a single outlet in my top case, but it is like a pig-tail and has a fair amount of cord left on it. I took power from the rear BMW plug, passed the wires into the top case, under the liner, put in a connector, so removal of the top case is not affected other than unplugging two additional wires, put a small slit in the liner and done. This way I can charge a phone, ipod etc and with the extra lenth of the wire, can make sure it the item I want is always on top and can be moved out of the way. When not in use, I push the wire back through the liner and all that is left is the plug. Simple add on for $5.

Also, depending on the year of your bike, the rear BMW outlet stays hot unless the wheel is locked. If you're running something in the trunk and don't want it running the battery down, just lock the wheel.

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1989 K100RS - Blue & White
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold

Last edited by Sit; Jan 3rd, 2011 at 12:04 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in