Bmw Dependability - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 Old Dec 31st, 2010, 3:29 pm Thread Starter

Bmw Dependability

Im new to the BMW community, just bought an 09 LT 3 weeks ago. But after reading all the post on here Im wondering if I should of stuck with HD. At the top of this page it says JUST RIDE IT, but it should say RIDE IT WHEN YOUR NOT WORKING ON IT.
I have always heard how dependable BMW's are. Have I been misled???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old Dec 31st, 2010, 3:41 pm

Re: Bmw Dependability

Doug, WELCOME..... Just take a deep breath and enjoy a very dependable ride. Most of us ride for years without having to make a major repair. The ones you hear about are a very small % and I'll bet that a major % of them are those who are constantly modifying their bike.

I'm sure that there are exceptions, but as an example, my 02 has had 48,000 trouble free miles. (except today a heated handgrip malfunctioning!)

All mechanical things eventually break and require maintenance. THis bike has given me nothing but pleasure and is as dependable as any other bike I've owned. Of course, my facts are anecdotal...

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #3 of 56 Old Dec 31st, 2010, 3:41 pm

Every owners' forum is full of repair threads; that's the nature of these forums. You post when you need help, not to say, "Hey, everything is perfect!" I don't have personal long-term experience with BMW, as I recently bought my first one. However a big part of that decision was based on owners who enthusiastically say they love theirs and have put on huge miles without issues.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I

post #4 of 56 Old Dec 31st, 2010, 3:44 pm

No, you have not been mislead. I came from a 04 RoadKing to my 06 LT. I have just a little over 47,000 miles on the LT and have never had any trouble .I just change fluids and tires and use it just for touring. Relax and enjoy your LT.
post #5 of 56 Old Dec 31st, 2010, 3:52 pm

Doug, I wouldn't worry about it. Far more goes right than goes wrong. Had I listened to all the horror stories, I would of not bought my used 03 in 05 and missed out on all the fun of 5 riding seasons. I had one major repair due to a slipping clutch at 60K miles but have never been stranded. Yes, I've had malfunctions like cruise control and flats but it didn't stop a trip. I was stranded on a trip with my car and had to rent a car to continue on. I was also delayed at an airport. We had to get off the plane due to an equipment failure and had to get another flight. So, it can happen to any machine. Learn the bike and have a contingency plan, but don't let it worry you.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #6 of 56 Old Dec 31st, 2010, 4:16 pm

Just to let you know, 55,710 miles and seems good so far.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 56 Old Dec 31st, 2010, 4:48 pm

There are a lot of good comments above to help ease your angst. I don't know the statistics as to how many folks we have posting, but I am sure they are on the forum somewhere. We have posts coming in from all over the world so there is a pretty high number. Some of us just like to tinker with our bikes and like myself, ask technical questions. I also think if you look at the number of BMWs with 100k + miles compared to Harleys, there would be no contest.

Welcome to the forum, check in often and ask anything that comes into your mind. Enjoy riding your new Beemer

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #8 of 56 Old Dec 31st, 2010, 5:22 pm

Ride the big girl on some long trips and don't worry about everything you read here. But feel confident that what ever help you'll ever need can be found here. I 've had my Y2K LT on many 2 up loaded trips and never a problem. I used to read a lot of the problems here and still do but I don't worry at all when I take a big or little trip. The LT has earned my confidence. Some people on this site are a little over the top on the maint but that's just a chrysler auto techs opinion.
post #9 of 56 Old Dec 31st, 2010, 5:28 pm

Almost 2.5 years of owning my 2005 LT and I only had one problem. Went on a ride and the battery went dead. Came back 30 minutes later and it started. Replaced the battery and regular service (tires, brakes, etc.) and that's it for me. But there is no doubt some of the things on this bike are very expensive if they fail.

On another note I had a brand new 2006 HD Ultra. IT was my dream bike that I waited 50 years to own. I had nothing but problems and frustration from the day I bought it. Thousands of dollars and more grief than I care to remember and I finally got rid of it. In fact the LT replaced the HD.

Enjoy your ride!
post #10 of 56 Old Dec 31st, 2010, 5:41 pm

My first LT has 92,000 and has had only regular maintenance and wear items, brakes, tires, etc., but never a mechanical failure. I am on my second LT with 17, 000 which has so far needed, well, nothing but gas. I must be one of the lucky ones.

Brian Purvis
Park City, Utah

'05 K1200LT
'03 R1150RT
'04 Husaberg 650FE

post #11 of 56 Old Dec 31st, 2010, 6:10 pm

Don't listen to these guys! Sell it as quick as you can! I've put around 20k on mine and although I haven't had any problems, I'm sure that I will eventually. Hurry! Sell it!

Rocket Ron

2002 LT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2002 Honda VTX1800R (gone)
post #12 of 56 Old Dec 31st, 2010, 6:25 pm

No need to worry, I rode HD's for years and now have a LT. Have always done my own maintenance and repairs have found both to be reliable. Just remember in a forum people only comment on problems. If you go to a Harley forum people will complain about drive belts exploding, oil leaks, blown tranny's, cam tensioner failures and more. I personally never saw any major problems with mine or any of my buddies bikes.

Just hop on and enjoy the ride.

Bob
post #13 of 56 Old Dec 31st, 2010, 6:53 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I rode 37,467 trouble free miles on mine this year. My LT now has 129,102 miles and it has not stranded me anywhere. Most of the time I follow the recommended maintenance. My air & gas filter have about 55,000 miles on them now & I waited until all the valves were tight before I adjusted any of them Right now I'm adding up all of my receipts for the year & I'll post them later tonight..

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #14 of 56 Old Dec 31st, 2010, 6:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigDug68
Im new to the BMW community, just bought an 09 LT 3 weeks ago. But after reading all the post on here Im wondering if I should of stuck with HD. At the top of this page it says JUST RIDE IT, but it should say RIDE IT WHEN YOUR NOT WORKING ON IT.
I have always heard how dependable BMW's are. Have I been misled???
I don't think you have been misled, but I think there are a few things to keep in mind:

1. I suspect the average BMW gets ridden a LOT more than the average HD. So, the failures per unit time will seem to be much higher, but the real metric that matters is failures per mile. I suspect BMW is pretty competitive in that regard.

2. The BMW does require more maintenance than other bikes I've owned, especially compared to my Voyager XII which had hydraulic lifters, etc., that removed many maintenance chores.

3. The LT is a fully faired bike and they are a pain to work on. My Voyager was that way and so are Gold Wings. Most HDs have less fairing protection so they are probably easier to work on. But the price is less weather protection while riding. You make the call as to which you prefer - less protection ALL the time or a couple extras hours of work every 12,000 miles for maintenance.

4. The LT does have an achilles heel or two as to many bikes. The FD, engine and tranny seals and clutch slave cylinder seem the dominant ones. My Voyager XII had igniter and fuel pump issues, though neither afflicted mine in the 46,000 miles I owned it. What got me away from the Voyager was, of all things, two FD failures in the time I owned it. So, I bought an LT and then learned of its FD issues... I just can't win. :-)

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #15 of 56 Old Dec 31st, 2010, 7:06 pm

Garage

While I have not read the responses, this type of thread comes up every so often on the forum. Suffice to say, like many other brands there are design flaws and maintenance (or lack of!) issues that only compound as time goes by. The main difference that I see between a HD and our bike, is the temperament.

LT's are a lot like women, and like attention. They get prissy when you do not spend time on them. Check your maintenance (flowers, diamonds, tire pressure etc.) items regularly and you will get laid every time you take her out. Whereas if you do not you, will be out in the garage attempting to make it up to her!

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #16 of 56 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 8:56 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the replies but as a Truck Mechanic I know all about preventive maintenance. But I also know when a fleet of trucks of the same brand all have common mechanical failures there are design flaws that the manufacturer should address and remedy them. Kinda like the final drive failures and trunk latches. Trunk latches should be the last thing anyone should have to worry about and instead of BMW coming up with a solution I see an aftermarket company did.
post #17 of 56 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 10:24 am

IMHO, the dealer network (or lack thereof) is a root cause of dissatisfaction with BMW bikes. If one does not live relatively close to a competent dealer then even a minor problem can become a major irritant. Add a plague of recalls and this compounds the issue.

This is also true if you break down at a distance from a dealer. Harley's and many Japanese brands do not have this limitation because they seemingly have dealers in every town of any size. Also, BMW is a leader in electronic technology, but the flip side is that requires superb technical training and support to its dealer network, which is difficult to accomplish.
post #18 of 56 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 10:47 am
cwo

I bought an 05 LT in October 2010 with 14K. Just over a year of riding the clock is at 44,000. Yep, I am retired and do a lot of riding.

Maint items: tires, tires, tires, and -fluid changes, filters, and brake flush. No mechanical failures except a clogged fuel cannister, which was caused by me over filling the fuel tank.

It is the best bike I have ever owned..... and I have owned a bunch of em. Wouldn't trade it for any other bike at this point.

Enjoy

Chris Ogle

Life is ephemeral. Don't waste it lookin up big words.
post #19 of 56 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 10:59 am

Quote:
Thanks for all of the replies but as a Truck Mechanic I know all about preventive maintenance. But I also know when a fleet of trucks of the same brand all have common mechanical failures there are design flaws that the manufacturer should address and remedy them. Kinda like the final drive failures and trunk latches. Trunk latches should be the last thing anyone should have to worry about and instead of BMW coming up with a solution I see an aftermarket company did.
Well, sometimes even this forum and all of it's great riders and minds cannot relieve the worries of everyone. If the trunk latch is that big of an issue...as suggested above...perhaps it's time to sell.

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #20 of 56 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 11:01 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwo
I bought an 05 LT in October 2010 with 14K. Just over a year of riding the clock is at 44,000. Yep, I am retired and do a lot of riding.

Maint items: tires, tires, tires, and -fluid changes, filters, and brake flush. No mechanical failures except a clogged fuel cannister, which was caused by me over filling the fuel tank.

It is the best bike I have ever owned..... and I have owned a bunch of em. Wouldn't trade it for any other bike at this point.

Enjoy

Chris Ogle
On here is the first I heard about not overfilling the tank. So is there some principal to go by when filling up?
post #21 of 56 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 11:05 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmoss
Well, sometimes even this forum and all of it's great riders and minds cannot relieve the worries of everyone. If the trunk latch is that big of an issue...as suggested above...perhaps it's time to sell.
Well I guess it will be when the warranty runs out. Just curious, if your so big on me selling mine after 3 weeks why do you still own one.
post #22 of 56 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 11:09 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by remphoto
IMHO, the dealer network (or lack thereof) is a root cause of dissatisfaction with BMW bikes. If one does not live relatively close to a competent dealer then even a minor problem can become a major irritant. Add a plague of recalls and this compounds the issue.

This is also true if you break down at a distance from a dealer. Harley's and many Japanese brands do not have this limitation because they seemingly have dealers in every town of any size. Also, BMW is a leader in electronic technology, but the flip side is that requires superb technical training and support to its dealer network, which is difficult to accomplish.
Well my closest dealer is 140 miles East of me in San Antonio. Which is not too bad, from here on I-10 East the speed limit is 80MPH for about 70 miles then it drops to 70Mph. But I dont see me riding 140 miles for an oil change.
post #23 of 56 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 11:18 am
cwo

Quote:
On here is the first I heard about not overfilling the tank. So is there some principal to go by when filling up?
Use the center stand, (not the side stand) when fueling. It is possible to over-fill when the bike is on the side stand.

Chris Ogle

post #24 of 56 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 11:20 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwo
Use the center stand, (not the side stand) when fueling. It is possible to over-fill when the bike is on the side stand.

Chris Ogle
OK, Thanks
post #25 of 56 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 11:26 am

Quote:
Well I guess it will be when the warranty runs out. Just curious, if your so big on me selling mine after 3 weeks why do you still own one.
I love mine and wouldn't sell...I do have the after-market fix for my trunk latch also. With 63,000 miles she runs like a top. If you want have a real thrill on yours...right before you pass drop her a gear and open her up...but hang on!

I assumed you wanted out...guess maybe I was wrong.

Wade

99 K-1200LT

post #26 of 56 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 11:37 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmoss
I love mine and wouldn't sell...I do have the after-market fix for my trunk latch also. With 63,000 miles she runs like a top. If you want have a real thrill on yours...right before you pass drop her a gear and open her up...but hang on!

I assumed you wanted out...guess maybe I was wrong.
Oh no , Im really excited about my new ride. It just worries me when I read all the common problems on here. Dont like getting a new shiny toy and hearing about all the possible defects.
post #27 of 56 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 11:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwo

Chris Ogle
Wrong! 180 out.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #28 of 56 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 11:45 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
Wrong! 180 out.
So your saying dont fill it on the center stand????
post #29 of 56 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 11:55 am
cwo

Quote:
So your saying dont fill it on the center stand????
Sorry if I mislead you. But I thought I was advised by this forum that filling on the side stand could would allow more fuel..... and possible over fill.

Now I am also confused.

Chris Ogle

post #30 of 56 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 11:56 am

Quote:
Put the bike on the side stand (K1200LT).
Get off the bike. Gawd, even the guys from long way round didn't know this one.
Don't use the auto shut off lever.
Don't let the nozzle lean against the inner fill tube, its delicate. Hold it yourself.

When its shuts off lift the nozzle so you can see in then slowly top it off until you see the gas level at the bottom of the plastic fill tube insert. Its full at the point.

One more tip do not look away to watch the pump indicators for gallons or dollars, the moment you, do Murphy's law will take effect. It will fill up, the auto shutoff will fail and you will spill gas.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #31 of 56 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 11:59 am

[QUOTE=DigDug68]Im new to the BMW community, just bought an 09 LT 3 weeks ago. But after reading all the post on here Im wondering if I should of stuck with HD.

I had to chuckle when I read that you went from a "Hardley Abelson" to a BMW and now you're worryng about reliability.

When I'm touring I will stop and offer assistance to a fellow motorcyclist who is broke down on the side of the road. In all of the years of doing this, I would say 90% were Harleys. I've never had to help a Goldwing rider and I never had to help a BMW rider.

What does my own experience mean? Absolutely nothing.

There is not a motorcycle made that is totally immune to mechanical issues. As several have noted above, on any forum you're going to read about mechanical problems that are associated with that bike. I've been on forums for Harleys, Honda Goldwings, Honda ST1100s, Triumphs, and Yamaha and if all you did was read about the problems, you'd think the bike was a breakdown waiting to happen.

Relax and enjoy your "new" motorcycle. I'm a firm believer in meticulous maintenance and change the oil and filter regularly, and all filters and fluids once a year. Others will claim you don't have to do it that often but as I've said before fluids and filter are cheap, breaking down is not.

By the way, never had a breakdown on any of the 5 BMW's I've owned since the 1970's. (But then again, never been stranded on any of the 4 Triumphs I've own.

Only breakdowns were on a Yamaha TX650 and a Honda 750K-- Go figure).

westcott360
Frisco, Texas
2008 BMW R1200RT (Titan Silver)
post #32 of 56 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 12:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
Put the bike on the side stand (K1200LT).
Get off the bike. Gawd, even the guys from long way round didn't know this one.
Don't use the auto shut off lever.
Don't let the nozzle lean against the inner fill tube, its delicate. Hold it yourself.

When its shuts off lift the nozzle so you can see in then slowly top it off until you see the gas level at the bottom of the plastic fill tube insert. Its full at the point.

One more tip do not look away to watch the pump indicators for gallons or dollars, the moment you, do Murphy's law will take effect. It will fill up, the auto shutoff will fail and you will spill gas.
Well thats how I did it on my HD and Nomad. I never set the lock and walked off. Thanks
post #33 of 56 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 1:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by remphoto

I believe BMW is the current leader in electronics application (new features and capabilities), but having had apart both BMW and Japanese motorcycles I believe the Japanese still lead in electronics technology. I will take Japanese electrics and electronics over BMW ANY day. BMW has more features, but the Japanese have the superior technology.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #34 of 56 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 1:43 pm

Welcome from one Doug to another! Yank the canister off, easy to do and no more worries about it. If your a mechanic do your own maintenance all the instructions are right here and not hard. Don't ride it like a Harley it's not a lugger it's a rever, that will make you smile and collect a few bugs on your teeth. When you close the trunk push down on the lid until it is seated then push the latch closed takes all the pressure off it or just take the trunk off and have way more fun ridding it! I have only had a few minor problems with mine in 6yrs of ownership and not one of them kept me from ridding it. Go have fun now and Happy New Year!

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #35 of 56 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 2:01 pm

The nice thing about forums like this is people do complain. It gives me a list of maintenance items that I might want to be proactive on or items I might want to replace with aftermarket products. Shift linkage, throttle cable, head lights, shocks, seats, charcoal canisters, quick disconnects, dielectric grease, I-Pod hook ups, crankcase breather tube, exhaust cracks, top case latch, final drives, clutch, seal leaks, ABS pumps.

The sad truth is most manufacturers will opt for a design and produce it. Decisions are all driven by short term bottom line. If design defects cause enough loss of short term profit, they will be changed. If they don't cause enough loss of short term profit, they will be ignored, taken care of quietly for some customers, taken care of when forced by a governmental agency. I think you can look at Toyota, a very dependable product, for a classic case of corporate culture and its interaction with consumers. Why did BMW fail to make design changes for the above problems for the ten year run of the K1200lt? Because it was profitable enough for them to not change.

Does this mean I am getting rid of my LT? No way! Ride it, enjoy it, fix it,fix it some more,ride it some more. When the enjoyment is less than the aggravation, sell it and get something else. It's not your life, it's only a thing in your life.

John

2002 K1200LT
post #36 of 56 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 3:27 pm

Welcome to the forum. As others so eloquently stated, just enjoy the ride. I purchased a Y2K with 55K miles on her in February 2010. I now have over 73k miles on her and I love it! Wish I had the time/money to ride more. Maintain it myself, mostly. Ride safe.

Darryl
2000 K1200LT, Champagne, "The First Lady"
2009 DL650, Silver(Fastest),"WeeStrom"
2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (gone)
post #37 of 56 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 5:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatson
Yank the canister off, easy to do and no more worries about it. . When you close the trunk push down on the lid until it is seated then push the latch closed takes all the pressure off it or just take the trunk off and have way more fun ridding it!

I hardly ever latch my trunk and use it daily for gear and other assorted items. Never had a problem with it staying closed, but you are correct on how to close by removing the pressure on the latch.

Yes, remove the canister. Gives you more storage room and yes on removing the trunk from time to time. Wish I had done it for my first several 1,000 miles. A great way to learn how to ride this top heavy bike.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #38 of 56 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 6:12 pm

As someone already said all mechanical things will eventually have problems. I had very few issues with my '00 LT until I hit a deer at 110,000 miles. I truely expected to keep it to see 200,000. But no luck.

Dave Granzin
Penn Yan, NY

'03 K1200LT
'05 R1200RT
'00 K1200LT (Killed by Bambi attack)
'04 R1150GS (traded for RT)
'87 K100RS (sold)
post #39 of 56 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 7:06 pm

I should note that the makeup mirror in my top box broke. Shattered. Only 33k miles.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #40 of 56 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 7:24 pm

Hey Doug, I ride that way thru Sonora to see my grandkids and a few riding roads as well..
Welcome and the preventative maintainence is the key..so far nor worries other than the final drive on the RT I had...

Tech sessions... Good way to meet the great people here..
Enjoy the ride

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
post #41 of 56 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 7:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
I believe BMW is the current leader in electronics application (new features and capabilities), but having had apart both BMW and Japanese motorcycles I believe the Japanese still lead in electronics technology. I will take Japanese electrics and electronics over BMW ANY day. BMW has more features, but the Japanese have the superior technology.
I agree that the Japanese technology is superior in execution. But BMW has some advanced-technologies on its newer bikes, which I do not believe the Japanese have offered. These technologies include stability control, numerical tire pressure monitoring, oil level monitoring, fully adjustable electronic suspension, etc. And herein lies the problem if these advanced technologies are defective. As an example, the new BMW switchgear when it first appeared on K-Bikes was heralded for its integration of micro-circuitry. In execution the micro-circuits cracked and caused untold headaches for many related to inoperable starter switches, turn signals, cruise controls, etc. Ultimately, a NHTSA recall was issued. A recall was also issued for another technology-related problem -- stalling while in motion. The fix took 6 months to develop and involved a software patch. Unfortunately, the patch often triggered a warning light problem, requiring more trips to the dealer.

When these problems occur, it requires a high level of technological expertise to diagnose and repair the defect. It also requires an adequate supply of replacement parts in dealer stock to avoid waiting for a week or two for arrival from Germany. My experience and apparently that of many others is that BMW has deficiencies in both of these areas.

The aforementioned problems do not apply to the LT's which use the older, proven BMW technologies. The new KGT's seem to be most problematic -- new technology means new problems.
post #42 of 56 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 7:56 pm

Garage

Quote:

SELL THAT PIECE OF CRAP! BMW MAKES THE WORST BIKES EVER! NO SUPPORT, HIGH PRICED PARTS AND MUCH... MUCH... MUCH WORSE.... STEALERS!!!!! RUNNNNNNN FOREST RUN!!!

From your responses thus far, I do not think there is anything that I (us) am going to say that will ease your mind. FD issues 4%, latch issues, I know no one personally that has had the issue.

I will say that I have the "slut" bike around here. I've replaced, the clutch, Gearbox and recently the engine (x2) with just a tad over 150K on the odometer. All told would I sell her for a XXX or an XXX... Hell no! Also bear in mind you have purchased and obsolete, out of production relic of the stone age... I mean hell, they do not even offer a pillion cup holder for gods sake!

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #43 of 56 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 8:27 pm

Don't worry about it, stop placing too much credence in the internet scuttle butt rather, just enjoy it. My BMW experience has been very good and is as follows; I have owned a 99LT sold with 77K the only problem was the main seal failed at 72K, a R1100S sold with 40K 0 issues, a 1150 GS sold with 45K 0 issues, a F650 Dakar sold with 15K no issues and a F650 CS sold with 6K 0 issues and spoke with the new owner last year and he put an additional 60K on it with no issues. I just purchased my second LT (09) without any hesitation.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #44 of 56 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 8:56 pm

I would like to enter the fray by offering $500 cash for the '09 in question!!!!

Seriously, I read the boards BEFORE I bought my '01 last year with 7800 miles on it. Could not get over the looks of the bike and the fact that they are semi rare. There are a number of LT's in the metro area in which I live but not so many that I don't get excited when I see one in passing or in a parking lot.

I had made the decision to buy an after market extended warranty when I bought my bike until the dealer told me that the warranty would not cover any repairs/replacement to the final drive because of the sidecar. I'm very glad I didn't waste the money. The bikes are not hard to work on, just a little time consuming because of the beautiful swoopy tupperware. Oil change including FD and gearbox takes 30-45 minutes every 6 K miles. The rest of the maintenance including valve lash checks, fuel and air filter changes take a little longer because you have to dig in a little further but all the maintenance is doable by the average Joe. There is always the security that there are a number of folks on this forum to help you out if you run into trouble.

OFFICIAL NOTICE: THE BIDDING ON THIS ITEM IS NOW CLOSED AND LOREN IS THE WINNER!!!!!

Seriously, ride it and enjoy it. Wind 'er up and she will dance like a big dog. I enjoy my bike immensely every time I ride it.

Go with peace of mind and enjoy the ride!

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoswell

SELL THAT PIECE OF CRAP! BMW MAKES THE WORST BIKES EVER! NO SUPPORT, HIGH PRICED PARTS AND MUCH... MUCH... MUCH WORSE.... STEALERS!!!!! RUNNNNNNN FOREST RUN!!!

From your responses thus far, I do not think there is anything that I (us) am going to say that will ease your mind. FD issues 4%, latch issues, I know no one personally that has had the issue.

I will say that I have the "slut" bike around here. I've replaced, the clutch, Gearbox and recently the engine (x2) with just a tad over 150K on the odometer. All told would I sell her for a XXX or an XXX... Hell no! Also bear in mind you have purchased and obsolete, out of production relic of the stone age... I mean hell, they do not even offer a pillion cup holder for gods sake!

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #45 of 56 Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 8:00 am

Trunk latch issue? Hmmmm that's funny, I've been on this forum since 2003, and I must have missed that one. Never a problem for me on either of my LT's. Put 80,000 miles on my '03 without a problem. Just maintenance. Same with my '09 but with far, far fewer miles on her.

I agree with an earlier post that the majority of postings on a forum will be to inquire about issues and share with others about those issues, and most will be silent when everything is working just fine. Makes it appear that the problems are more common than they really are.

Scott

In the garage:
'12 K1600 GTL (took delivery 5/25)
'12 Ducati Monster EVO 1100
'08 Big Dog Pitbull
'79 Honda CX 500 Deluxe (restored)

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

post #46 of 56 Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 12:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRaccon
Does this mean I am getting rid of my LT? No way! Ride it, enjoy it, fix it,fix it some more,ride it some more. When the enjoyment is less than the aggravation, sell it and get something else. It's not your life, it's only a thing in your life.

John

Hey John...you said it brother.

Wade

99 K-1200LT

post #47 of 56 Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 11:29 am

Nicely put John,

Agree entirely, have had a '99 model and am currently on a 2008 model and love it to bits. I visit this forum because I enjoy the company, a bunch of like minded guys around the world whose passion is a set of wheels in the shape of an LT. I read as much as I can so that I'm better prepared if anything does go wrong. I have always been a great believer in" if it ain't broke don't fix it".

I replace fluids at regular intervals and apart from having fitted Spiegler brake hoses during my most recent brake fluid change everything else is as it came to me. Good maintenance schedules I believe are the answer to trouble free riding.

Ride it and enjoy it and if something does go wrong, hey, log in and get some great advice from like minded souls.
post #48 of 56 Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 11:50 am
Sit

Quote:
My 05 has just under 30K miles on it and was in the shop a few months ago for a leaking final drive. Is this a final drive failure? No, the final is fine, but the seals were not. The shop I had do the work said he keeps seals on hand for the LT because he does see this issue. Said after they fix it, they don't leak any more. Asked him if he has seen any final drives that are actually toast, bearing gone etc. He said he has seen one or two but those are brought in with no oil in the drive unit......so.............

As for the trunk latch, the design is fine, the thing to remember is to push down on the trunk lid when you close it, the water seal is thick and can stress the latch. The latch I imagine is a middle of the line approach for workablility and cost. Find someone with an old LT that has a tired, dried up seal on their trunk. You can latch it with your pinky. Try closing yours without pushing down and then do it pushing down and note how easy it to latch.

I think you'll love the bike.

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1989 K100RS - Blue & White
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold
post #49 of 56 Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 4:35 pm

I have had all of the issues that are claimed to be endemic to BMW and LTs in particular. I continue to ride my LT and will continue. Here is why: Unlike any or at least most other brands, we ride the crap out of these bikes. Long days and nights on the road, camping in the mud and generally using them the way they were meant to be used. Taking that into consideration, I complain about the problems, but not too much. Check the Ebay adds for bikes and sort them by mileage by brand and see how many other brands out there do much other than sit in garages getting washed and polished. Big surprise that they don't break!
post #50 of 56 Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 5:17 pm

In late 2007 I bought a brand new '07 HD FXSTD, and have since put 24,000 miles on it. Completely trouble free, no repairs except the front brake master cylinder that I screwed up myself.
In early 2008 I bought an '01 LT with 57,000 miles on it, and have put 21,000 additional miles on it. In that time I've replace my shift linkage (broke on the road, fixed it and continued the ride), and have replaced my rear main seal, clutch etc. I've also rebuilt my final drive after a peak inside showed imminent failure.
If I were to sell either bike today, it'd be the Harley. For what little troubles the LT has caused me, no other bike can do what it does. The Harley can't go a smoothly, as fast, or as comfortably as the LT - not by a long shot.
To be honest, if it wasn't for the wife, I don't know that I'd have the LT, but the enjoyment we have together, and the long hard solo rides I take yearly, make the LT the best bike I think I've ever owned.
But that's just me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in