I've done it again!!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Dec 30th, 2010, 7:27 am Thread Starter

I've done it again!!!

Well I've owned 2 LT's in the past, and loved them...other than the common issues, such as clutch failures and gear box issues. I sold my 02' after such a clutch failure. Then I sold my 07', although I really never had any serious issues with it. I suppose I lost confidence in the model. So here I am now, having just purchased an 06' LT. WHY??? I've been asking myself this, as if I somehow had a left-brain / right-brain argument with myself. Here's the answer, I think, ...Nothing compares!!! Goldwings feel like mopeds to me (skinny cross-section while seated on them). The new 1600 looks interesting, however I believe it just does not compare with the overal LT design. To me it looks on-par with a Kawasaki Concours 14. What a step backwards, from what set the LT apart from others. The ergonomics, looks, size, and the heavy weight, which I like. It's the heavier weight that makes the bike 'feel' the way it does while travelling down the road....Solid! Oh sure the weight can make it interesting in slow speed situations, but usually it's when your not paying enough attention, and are taken off guard. However the same heavy weight is a factor on how well it feels at speed on the innerstate. The same effect is felt with cars. A light weight eccono-box is typically a rough ride and responds poorly to bumps and dips in the road. A large SUV usually takes the same road with comfort and ease.
Think I've settled-in with this one...the LT (including it's flaws), is just simply the best bike out there.

Gov't run healthcare, and we still call ourselves 'free'??? Keep your programs, I'd rather have Liberty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Dec 30th, 2010, 10:56 am

Re: I've done it again!!!

I agree.

When I'm riding the LT, usually with my wife along, the weight of the bike makes it feel very luxurious. The seating position is very fomfortable. The electronics, ie. radio, cruise control, brakes, windshield, can't be beat. I love it.

Here's my issue with the LT.... It's a BMW.

I just replaced the slave cylinder (and drilled the weep hole) on the '03 I keep at home. The '03 LT I keep at a friends house in Oregon has died on me twice in the last 10K miles. 1st time main computer replacement, 2nd time because I had not snapped one of the fuel line quick disconnects back together correctly and it built up pressure causing the fuel pump to fail. Both times required towing. I replaced the clutch on the '99 I used to own and helped to replace the gearbox for the friend I sold it to. Replaced the throttle cables on the '03 at home last year. On the total 4 LT's I've owned since '99, I've had to replace 2 final drives, one clutch, muliple slave cylinders, windshield mechanism. Hell, even changing the air filter has stopped being fun.

I'm old and I'm ready for a "moped" that I can take to someone else for service. I just wanna ride.

I think I may finally be in the market for a GL. Honda dealer right down the street. Nearest BMW dealer is 30 miles away and they keep selling me the wrong part that I then have to return. I spoke with their General Manager about their lack of customer service. He said "BMW is only 8 precent of my business". BMW makes it hard on dealers to stay in business. That's why many of them sell other brands as well.

Yeah... made up my mind. For sale - 2 '03 LT's.
post #3 of 3 Old Dec 30th, 2010, 2:14 pm Thread Starter

Re: I've done it again!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwmac2005
I agree.

When I'm riding the LT, usually with my wife along, the weight of the bike makes it feel very luxurious. The seating position is very fomfortable. The electronics, ie. radio, cruise control, brakes, windshield, can't be beat. I love it.

Here's my issue with the LT.... It's a BMW.

I just replaced the slave cylinder (and drilled the weep hole) on the '03 I keep at home. The '03 LT I keep at a friends house in Oregon has died on me twice in the last 10K miles. 1st time main computer replacement, 2nd time because I had not snapped one of the fuel line quick disconnects back together correctly and it built up pressure causing the fuel pump to fail. Both times required towing. I replaced the clutch on the '99 I used to own and helped to replace the gearbox for the friend I sold it to. Replaced the throttle cables on the '03 at home last year. On the total 4 LT's I've owned since '99, I've had to replace 2 final drives, one clutch, muliple slave cylinders, windshield mechanism. Hell, even changing the air filter has stopped being fun.

I'm old and I'm ready for a "moped" that I can take to someone else for service. I just wanna ride.

I think I may finally be in the market for a GL. Honda dealer right down the street. Nearest BMW dealer is 30 miles away and they keep selling me the wrong part that I then have to return. I spoke with their General Manager about their lack of customer service. He said "BMW is only 8 precent of my business". BMW makes it hard on dealers to stay in business. That's why many of them sell other brands as well.

Yeah... made up my mind. For sale - 2 '03 LT's.

You might very well enjoy the Goldwing, I owned a GL1800, and it definitely had some stong points. The 6 cylinder motor was absolutely silky smooth & powerful. The clutch was a wet clutch and a strong one at that. The gearbox, although reliable, made an audible "clunk" with every gear change...used to annoy the you know what out of me. For how smooth that motor was to hear such an unrefined shift from the gearbox, was a definite negative. Other than that, very nice bike. My wife actually thought the rear of the seat was more comfortable on the Honda than the BMW. I just never got used to the low seating position with that skinny air box cover between my legs. It just felt odd...and I never moved past that point. I actually sold the bike based on the gearbox noises and the "feel" of it alone. Most people are not so focused on those two things. If you get one...the comfort option is nice. It adjusts suspension at the push of a button.

Gov't run healthcare, and we still call ourselves 'free'??? Keep your programs, I'd rather have Liberty.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in