Spedo vs Odo accuracy? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Dec 29th, 2010, 2:45 pm Thread Starter

Spedo vs Odo accuracy?

I was wondering if since the spedo is of, is the odometer?

My spedo is about 3% high. So is my odometer also?

Any thoughts?

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Dec 29th, 2010, 3:14 pm

Re: Spedo vs Odo accuracy?

Good question Paul, maybe you didn't need to change the oil as frequently ?

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #3 of 19 Old Dec 29th, 2010, 4:38 pm

my odo reads almost 1/10 of a mile high

post #4 of 19 Old Dec 29th, 2010, 6:21 pm

Don't know about the post '05 models, but the pre-'05 models were typically 3-4% high for Speedo readings, but only around 1% ODO. The modification that fixed the Speedo readings did not affect the ODO readings.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 19 Old Dec 29th, 2010, 6:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Don't know about the post '05 models, but the pre-'05 models were typically 3-4% high for Speedo readings, but only around 1% ODO. The modification that fixed the Speedo readings did not affect the ODO readings.
My 07 speedometer is about 5% high. 60 MPH on the GPS is 63 MPH on the speedo. I haven't done a precise check on the odometer, but it appears to match the GPS pretty closely. I haven't run far enough to get a high resolution comparison, but I suspect it is in the 1% range as it isn't noticeably different over several miles. However, a 1% difference is only 0.1 over 10 miles so it takes a while to detect that with any accuracy. I will have to do a more exhaustive check next summer.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #6 of 19 Old Dec 29th, 2010, 6:47 pm

The speedometer on my 2005 is about 8% high as per my Garmin Zumo 550 GPS. However, the odometer is real accurate. I have done 600 mile days and the odometer would match within a couple miles the readout on the Zumo.

Steve
2005 K1200LT
post #7 of 19 Old Dec 29th, 2010, 6:47 pm

Just today I was thinking I'd had enough with the speedo error. I think mine is around 10%. At 70 it reads around 76-77. What is the fix?

I have not checked the odometer, but my MPG rating on the trip computer is very precise. Never more than .3 MPG off.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #8 of 19 Old Dec 29th, 2010, 6:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez
Just today I was thinking I'd had enough with the speedo error. I think mine is around 10%. At 70 it reads around 76-77. What is the fix?

I have not checked the odometer, but my MPG rating on the trip computer is very precise. Never more than .3 MPG off.
Try this post!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #9 of 19 Old Dec 29th, 2010, 7:07 pm

Wait, so basically, we're just installing the optional "make the speedo read accurately" jumpers that the factory left out?!? WTF?

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #10 of 19 Old Dec 30th, 2010, 2:16 am

Several theories on this Carlos. One of the theories is that by making the speedometer indicate fast you will be less likely to get a ticket. However, what I have found is that when I use my GPS the error on the speedometer drives me nuts. So I have memorized the difference for the indicated speed vs the actual speed and build in the difference when I ride. I probably should just change the jumpers........

My Ford pick up speedometer is off in the other direction. i.e. it reads slow. The rule for driving the pickup is to NEVER EVER EVER exceed the posted speed or a ticket is likely.

I prefer the BMW error!

Loren

Quote:
Wait, so basically, we're just installing the optional "make the speedo read accurately" jumpers that the factory left out?!? WTF?

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #11 of 19 Old Dec 30th, 2010, 10:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Several theories on this Carlos. One of the theories is that by making the speedometer indicate fast you will be less likely to get a ticket. However, what I have found is that when I use my GPS the error on the speedometer drives me nuts. So I have memorized the difference for the indicated speed vs the actual speed and build in the difference when I ride. I probably should just change the jumpers........

My Ford pick up speedometer is off in the other direction. i.e. it reads slow. The rule for driving the pickup is to NEVER EVER EVER exceed the posted speed or a ticket is likely.

I prefer the BMW error!

Loren
I am with you Loren, I get complacent about the error and try to build in the extra speed. Having had too many friendly conversations with LEOs, I now pay close attention to the GPS or ride the indicated speed on the speedo. I get cages tail gating me at times, but I can't afford any more tickets and lawyer fees.

I reviewed the link on the jumper change and I think I will fore go that procedure. My eyes are too weak and my hands too shakey

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #12 of 19 Old Dec 30th, 2010, 12:16 pm

Quote:
What I have read before is that most if all countries have laws that require the speedo to NEVER read low, but are allowed up to 10% high. BMW just takes the safest way and sets them high. There are several calibration jumpers on the chip for the pre '05 bikes, we just add jumpers to calibrate more accurately than the BMW factory installed jumpers. Some have had the B and C jumper addition cause their reading to read slightly low, so removed A to correct it back up about 1 MPH.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #13 of 19 Old Dec 30th, 2010, 12:47 pm

So is the first mod *exactly* 10%, or does it vary? I'd rather avoid taking the bike apart twice.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #14 of 19 Old Dec 30th, 2010, 4:30 pm

Quote:
So is the first mod *exactly* 10%, or does it vary? I'd rather avoid taking the bike apart twice.
The pre '05 speedo circuit is an analog conversion from the digital signal the speed sensor puts out. There is no perfect converter (in the price range a manufacturer would pay for a speedo), so it has to be calibrated. That is why there are several calibration inputs to the chip. So, there is no way to guarantee any "exact" calibration factor, it has to be done by trial and error. However, almost everyone has found that adding the B and C jumpers comes very close without any further work.

The ODO circuit does not use analog conversion, and digital to digital is always pretty exact, therefore they did not put any calibration feature on the board for the ODO. The ODO still may not be exact though, as tire diameter affects it considerably as the tire diameters vary manufacturer to manufacturer, pressure variations and wear change them even more.

You will likely never get an exact reading on either the speedo or ODO, and even if you do for a short time, it will not stay consistent as tire variations occur.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #15 of 19 Old Dec 30th, 2010, 5:44 pm

And after '05, you are stuck with the speedo reading about 4 MPH high once you are going over 30 Mph, and the GPS is dead on. Most of the time, I try to stay under 20 mph high on good open roads

However, in Wyoming, Utah and in the rural ends of Idaho, I try to stay under 30 Mph high.

And in Pennsylvania, I try to stay on the money to avoid handing over money to the cops.

It's sort of a toss up, but I also think that Idaho is among the most conservative with regard to the speed they post for curves, and this is from the perspective of riding two-up on an LT.

Bill

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #16 of 19 Old Dec 30th, 2010, 8:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I don't know if it will work on the '05 & up bikes , but on my'02 if I get up to speed ,then set the cruise control . Put the computer in MPH , then hit the reset . It will give me just about the exact speed im going .... It works on my'10 Adventure too ...

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #17 of 19 Old Dec 30th, 2010, 9:09 pm

I agree. It works the same on my '01. It's the digital to analog conversion that feed the analog guage on the dash that's off. The one onthe BCS gives average mph which is fine if you are using the cruise control.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patric
I don't know if it will work on the '05 & up bikes , but on my'02 if I get up to speed ,then set the cruise control . Put the computer in MPH , then hit the reset . It will give me just about the exact speed im going .... It works on my'10 Adventure too ...

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #18 of 19 Old Dec 30th, 2010, 9:13 pm

My speedo is off about 3% but the odo is right on. Have checked it with GPS, mile signs and the bikes computer.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #19 of 19 Old Dec 31st, 2010, 10:51 am

As of 1997, Federal standards in the United States allowed a maximum 5% +/- error on speedometer readings. If the speedo is off more than that, the manufacturer is required by law to fix it. I am also pretty sure that age and milage won't matter. By that I mean even if your bike is out of warranty (Provided there are no aftermarket modifications) they have to fix it. It has been my experience the manufacturers always error on the high side which also takes into account eventual wear over time.

The following is copied from another site:
GPS devices are capable of showing speed readings based on how far the receiver has moved since the last measurement. As the GPS is an independent* system, its speed calculations are not subject to the same sources of error as the vehicle's speedometer. Instead, the GPS's positional accuracy, and therefore the accuracy of its calculated speed, is dependent on the satellite signal quality at the time. Speed calculations will be more accurate at higher speeds, when the ratio of positional error to positional change is lower. The GPS software may also use a moving average calculation to reduce error.

GPS data has been used to overturn a speeding ticket; the GPS logs showed the defendant traveling below the speed limit when they were ticketed. That the data came from a GPS device was likely less important than the fact that it was logged; logs from the vehicle's speedometer could likely have been used instead, had they existed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in