Getting ready to pull the trigger - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old Dec 27th, 2010, 12:04 pm Thread Starter

Getting ready to pull the trigger

I found a good deal on a 2009 LT. The guy who bought it put 400 miles on it and decided to trade it in for a Harley. It is pretty much a new bike, but I am getting a substantial discount on it.

The bike is being sold by a dealer. Are there any special questions I should ask? Any upgrades? (it has the 660 GPS already)

I'm upgrading from a Honda ST-1300. It was a great bike, but I could never get it to comfortable enough for long trips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old Dec 27th, 2010, 12:15 pm

Re: Getting ready to pull the trigger

Not like we have a biased opinion about an 09 LT or anything but if you're getting it at a good price and its what you're looking for then I would jump on it she's a damn good bike that you'll ride lot's of miles on.

There is nothing wrong with the 09 as far as question's go I would ask if it had an extended warranty from the previous owner if not really think about getting one you only have to use it once for it to pay for itself later down the road.

Since it comes with a gps already I would think about a new saddle for it ya it cost's but your but will thank you.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #3 of 32 Old Dec 27th, 2010, 12:24 pm

Welcome aboard Alex. You won't find a more comfortable bike, but they are a heavy beast. I cannot imagine giving up an LT for an HD, but who knows what the PO was/is thinking.

My only objection to the 09 is they must have been influenced by Henry Ford as they only come in BLACK.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)

post #4 of 32 Old Dec 27th, 2010, 12:35 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatzo
Welcome aboard Alex. You won't find a more comfortable bike, but they are a heavy beast. I cannot imagine giving up an LT for an HD, but who knows what the PO was/is thinking.

My only objection to the 09 is they must have been influenced by Henry Ford as they only come in BLACK.
IMHO, black is the only proper color for a motorcycle. I had a 2006 ST. With ST's they only make one color per year. 2006 was black, as was 2010. I don't think they are going to make them anymore, though, which makes me sad.

I understand the LT is heavy, but it doesn't seem all that different from an ST. The ST wasn't exactly easy to maneuver in a parking lot, but I am planning to some time practicing with the LT, just to get comfortable.
post #5 of 32 Old Dec 27th, 2010, 2:41 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKilpatrick
IMHO, black is the only proper color for a motorcycle. I had a 2006 ST. With ST's they only make one color per year. 2006 was black, as was 2010. I don't think they are going to make them anymore, though, which makes me sad.

I understand the LT is heavy, but it doesn't seem all that different from an ST. The ST wasn't exactly easy to maneuver in a parking lot, but I am planning to some time practicing with the LT, just to get comfortable.
Alex welcome to the LT Family.
You should look up THESE nice folks here in Austin. We are a very active group that meets every Saturday for breakfast & a ride. Just click on the calender to see where the next one will be.

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 32 Old Dec 27th, 2010, 3:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Alex welcome to the LT Family.
You should look up THESE nice folks here in Austin. We are a very active group that meets every Saturday for breakfast & a ride. Just click on the calender to see where the next one will be.
Awesome, thanks! I didn't know this group existed.

I'm looking for a way to drive from Dallas to Austin to bring the bike home, avoiding I-35. Any suggestions? I know any other route will be out of the way, but I am just looking for something scenic and uncrowded.
post #7 of 32 Old Dec 27th, 2010, 4:00 pm

Quote:

I'm looking for a way to drive from Dallas to Austin to bring the bike home, avoiding I-35. Any suggestions? I know any other route will be out of the way, but I am just looking for something scenic and uncrowded.
I would go by way of hill country thru Fredericksburg and points west.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #8 of 32 Old Dec 27th, 2010, 5:27 pm

It is a great bike, I am enjoying my new 09. If price is right, go for it.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #9 of 32 Old Dec 27th, 2010, 6:29 pm

Quote:

HERE YA GO
Stop in Stephensville @ the Hard 8 for some BBQ, Then in Hico @ the Koffee Kup for pie. That should hold you till you get home.

Stevie Shreeve
post #10 of 32 Old Dec 27th, 2010, 7:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
HERE YA GO
Stop in Stephensville @ the Hard 8 for some BBQ, Then in Hico @ the Koffee Kup for pie. That should hold you till you get home.
Thanks, that's awesome! I will definitely do that.

I bought my first bike in Dallas, and I told the GPS to get me back to Austin, but avoid the interstate. It basically just tried to take me the whole way on access roads.

This is much better. I heard another suggestion for how to do this kind of thing. In Google maps you can "grab" any part of the route and move it to a different city. Someone told me to just plot the shortest course in Google maps, then randomly drag part of the route somewhere else until you get the length you want. That works surprisingly well.
post #11 of 32 Old Dec 27th, 2010, 8:03 pm

Quote:
I found a good deal on a 2009 LT. The guy who bought it put 400 miles on it and decided to trade it in for a Harley. It is pretty much a new bike, but I am getting a substantial discount on it.

The bike is being sold by a dealer. Are there any special questions I should ask? Any upgrades? (it has the 660 GPS already)

I'm upgrading from a Honda ST-1300. It was a great bike, but I could never get it to comfortable enough for long trips.
Any chance your buying it from Dream Machines of Texas?
post #12 of 32 Old Dec 27th, 2010, 9:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigDug68
Any chance your buying it from Dream Machines of Texas?
Yes, that's the place. Any opinion on them?
post #13 of 32 Old Dec 27th, 2010, 9:19 pm

Quote:
Yes, that's the place. Any opinion on them?
I just bought an 09 LT 3 weeks ago from them with a little under 4000 miles . Great bike, was looking at their site the other day and saw the bike your looking at. Mine is just like that one minus the GPS and I paid 16,9. Maybe you can get them to come off the 18,9. Love mine, coming out of Dallas I just stayed with the flow of traffic and was surprised to notice that nobody tailgated me all the way through. Closer to home on a deserted stretch of road I ran it on up to 110 and was surprised how smooth it was. Buy it before someone else does. Good Luck

Last edited by DigDug68; Dec 27th, 2010 at 9:24 pm.
post #14 of 32 Old Dec 27th, 2010, 9:30 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigDug68
I just bought an 09 LT 3 weeks ago from them with a little under 4000 miles . Great bike, was looking at their site the other day and saw the bike your looking at. Mine is just like that one minus the GPS and I paid 16,9. Maybe you can get them to come off the 18,9. Love mine, coming out of Dallas I just stayed with the flow of traffic and was surprised to notice that nobody tailgated me all the way through. Closer to home on a deserted stretch of road I ran it on up to 110 and was surprised how smooth it was. Buy it before someone else does. Good Luck
They came down to 17,500 for me, so I am happy with the deal. I don't know much about them, but they have good reviews on the web. They actually took 54 separate pictures of the bike, so it was practically like seeing it in person. Everyone I have dealt with has been really professional.

One thing that aggravates me is that I have to pay a couple grand in taxes and licensing fees. But the guy who bought it, presumably a couple of months ago, paid the same thing. Such a waste!
post #15 of 32 Old Dec 27th, 2010, 9:37 pm

Quote:
They came down to 17,500 for me, so I am happy with the deal. I don't know much about them, but they have good reviews on the web. They actually took 54 separate pictures of the bike, so it was practically like seeing it in person. Everyone I have dealt with has been really professional.

One thing that aggravates me is that I have to pay a couple grand in taxes and licensing fees. But the guy who bought it, presumably a couple of months ago, paid the same thing. Such a waste!
True, that part sucks. But its hard to find an LT with 400 miles on it.
post #16 of 32 Old Dec 27th, 2010, 11:11 pm

Thumbs up Re: Getting ready to pull the trigger

I suggest you take the long way home and enjoy the ride, I picked up my 09 in Aug. Came off an 2001.

As for it being heavy, its no worse than anything else if you get it to far over.

enjoy!!

Al
1977 R75/7
2001 K1200LTC sold
2009 K1200 LT :sold
2014 R1200RT:
post #17 of 32 Old Dec 28th, 2010, 12:59 am Thread Starter

I'm a little paranoid because of all the discussions I have seen about the LT being top-heavy and difficult to handle at slow speed. As I said, I am transitioning from an ST-1300, which is probably as close as you can get to an LT without transitioning from a GW.

I am planning to spend some time practicing in the parking lot before I leave the dealer. Can anyone offer some suggestions as to technique, and what I should be practicing?

TIA
post #18 of 32 Old Dec 28th, 2010, 7:16 am

Quote:
I'm a little paranoid because of all the discussions I have seen about the LT being top-heavy and difficult to handle at slow speed. As I said, I am transitioning from an ST-1300, which is probably as close as you can get to an LT without transitioning from a GW.

I am planning to spend some time practicing in the parking lot before I leave the dealer. Can anyone offer some suggestions as to technique, and what I should be practicing?

TIA
Most important thing is DO NOT use the front brake when going very slow with the tiller turned. Try to have the front wheel straight before applying the brake. Otherwise, you are on the right track, practice, practice, practice.

Enjoy your new ride and ride it like you stole it

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)
post #19 of 32 Old Dec 28th, 2010, 7:21 am

Quote:

TIA
Alex, just keep your head up & handle bars straight when you stop & DO NOT make ANY sharp turns at low speed & you will be fine. The ST is a heavy bike but still lighter that the LT. When I bought mine I never test rode it. Just bought it from Lone Star & jumped on it at 3:00 in the afternoon on a Saturday & road down N. Lamar the North on 183 to get home. After the first 2 or 3 stoplights I was good to go & you should be fine too. As for Dream Machine I have picked up a few bikes from them for customers & they are GRET folks to work with. When are you getting the bike? If this week come join us in WACO FOR WINGS

Stevie Shreeve
post #20 of 32 Old Dec 28th, 2010, 8:03 am

I purchased my 09 in November. Like the previous post I didn't take a test ride. Rode my 98 Harley Superglide to the dealer and did the deed. It is a different bike than anything I have ridden before and I have been on a number of bikes including a wing. When my Harley buddies ask me how I like it I tell them that above 10 miles an hour it handles like a sport bike and rides like my easy chair. I did practice with it in an empty parking lot. I have found that you are able to do full handle bar lock turns at slow speed with feet up. It just takes practice and patience.
I have lurked on this forum for some time. Would like to give a shout out to all the posters on here for their vast knowledge and the information I have found. Special shout to the poster for the tupperware removal instructions and another shout to the gentleman that posted the template for all the fasteners.
Would just like to add one thing. Seems to be considerable Harley bashing on the forum. My 98 with 98,000 miles never left me on the side of the road. It did spring a leak on occasion, transmission seal. Other than that it was very dependable. When I traded, I wouldn't have been afraid to jump on the thing and head to California.
With that being said my Wife is extremely pleased with the LT. We rode the Toy Run the Sunday after Thanksgiving. She kept asking why it took me so long to get this bike. She has already planned a trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway this summer.
Enjoy your new purchase, they are a great machine. If you should ever have any issue with it I am certain that someone on here can give you the information you need to take care of whatever it might be.
post #21 of 32 Old Dec 28th, 2010, 8:06 am

One other thing. A previous poster suggested that you not use the front brakes at slow speed. The brakes on the 09 are intergrated. Doesn't matter if you grab the lever or push the pedal you are using the front brakes.
post #22 of 32 Old Dec 28th, 2010, 3:20 pm

Just as a note, I purchased my 09 two months ago here in Orlando with 3K miles on her for $14,5K

Just an FYI.

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #23 of 32 Old Dec 28th, 2010, 3:45 pm

Hey Dig,
If you think it's smooth at 4k, just wait till you get around 20k on it.
post #24 of 32 Old Dec 28th, 2010, 3:59 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleknight
Just as a note, I purchased my 09 two months ago here in Orlando with 3K miles on her for $14,5K

Just an FYI.
I didn't talk about price originally, because I knew this would happen. This kind of post after someone has already committed (or bought in the past) really serves no purpose.
post #25 of 32 Old Dec 28th, 2010, 4:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by batdriver51
Hey Dig,
If you think it's smooth at 4k, just wait till you get around 20k on it.
Was'nt talking about the mileage, talking about 110MPH.
post #26 of 32 Old Dec 28th, 2010, 4:56 pm

Quote:
I didn't talk about price originally, because I knew this would happen. This kind of post after someone has already committed (or bought in the past) really serves no purpose.
Its only money. And as far as being top heavy. I came off an 05 Road King and the LT balances alot better than it did at slow speeds. Only thing that got me at first is trying to find where my feet should be. After the first couple of stop and goes I was good to go. Dont know how tall you are but at 6Ft I felt like my knees were bent too much. First thing I did was order peg lowering kit from Suburban Machine. Took about 5 minutes to install.
post #27 of 32 Old Dec 28th, 2010, 5:18 pm

Unhappy Re: Getting ready to pull the trigger

Enjoy your ride... It will get better and better.

I did a simular deed on my 02. It had 1,006 miles on it when I bought it from the dealer and have not looked back. Original owner just didn't give it enough time to get comfortable, paid all of the first year's depreciation and I got the benefit.

Bike now has about 48,000 sweet miles and I couldn't be happier..

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #28 of 32 Old Dec 28th, 2010, 11:54 pm

Just get used to the brakes, because they have a power booster they are very powerful and at slow speeds one finger on the lever and she stops now! Don't ride it like a Harley the LT likes revs. Once she is broken in take her out and run her through the gears and let her rev, you won't be able to get the smile off your face!

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #29 of 32 Old Dec 29th, 2010, 11:57 am

I will take your advice and not ride it like a Harley. That will take some adjustment on my part as the Harley pretty much hovered between 3 and 4 thousand RPM's. I had a JIM's 6 speed in the Harley and at 4,000 I was doing 95. Thing is the few times I have been able to get the LT on the road it is so smooth and quiet that when I look down at the speedo I am way over what I thought I was doing. I was traveling down the super slab with the wife on the back looked down and was at 95. I thought that I was around 75 and so did the wife. I know that the speedo isn't spot on, but it isn't more than 5 mile an hour fast. I will have to pay a lot more attention to how fast I am traveling.
It is just so smooth and quiet. A truly amazing ride.
post #30 of 32 Old Dec 29th, 2010, 2:34 pm

Gary, you can bet that a friendly LEO with his speed shooter, will know just how fast you are going. BTDT Be careful out there

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)
post #31 of 32 Old Dec 30th, 2010, 2:41 am

Gary, you will likely become comfortable over time running your bike at close to redline revs. I have never run an engine even close to the redline until I got in the twisties and found out how fun it is! When you are running close to the redline you will find that the brakes are rarely needed. Just set up for the corner, back off the throttle the appropriate amount and ride your line through the corner.

It sounds crazy until you've done it. BTW your range will go into the toilet but who cares???? Yee haw!!! Now I can hardly wait for dry roads!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #32 of 32 Old Dec 30th, 2010, 10:21 am

I will certainly take some getting used to running close to red line. I have never done that with any of the bikes I have owned. Guees what they say is true "RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT".
Is there anyone on the forum in KY. that can help with a TECH session?
I am not ready for a service as yet but when the time comes I would love to do the work myself. It isn't about paying a dealer, it's about getting grease under my nails and the felling of accomplishment of having done it.
With the guidenance of this forum I had the tupperware off two days after I got it home. Thought that the wife was going to faint when she walked out in the garage and saw all the pieces laying around on the floor.
I apologize to the gentleman that started this post. Was not my intetntion to hijack.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in