Heated clothing - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Dec 27th, 2010, 7:48 am Thread Starter

Heated clothing

Good day chaps,easy question. How effective is heated clothing and down to what temperatures can you keep warm. Also i heard that Gerbing is the best make as you can link sock,trouser,jacket and glove liners together. Please everybody chip in with there experience of heated clothing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Dec 27th, 2010, 8:11 am

Re: Heated clothing

Good day to you from the snowy deep south of Vermont.
I've had a complete set of Gerbings for about 10 years now. Socks plug into pant liner, gloves plug into jacket liner, dual controller which allows separate temperature control of upper and lower zones.
Sometimes when riding with just jacket and pants liner, I plug 'em together and run as one zone.
My wife has a set of jacket and pants liner sans gloves and socks, plugs 'em together and runs as one zone.
They work very well and I have ridden in 20 degree F temps with relative comfort; gotta watch the road surface though.

Gerbing now has micro wires or something that make the wires less noticable. I've never been bothered by the wiring except in the socks where if you spend any time walking the wires will become annoying.

Learning how to dress with them is important in the coldest weather. A normal layer under the Gerbings and a fairly snug fitting garmet over the liner will help eliminated hot and cold spots which can occur when running them at full heat.

My wife has the quilted pant liner and I wouldn't get the quilted version again, just the plain heated liner. The quilted one doesn't pack down and store as compactly, and the quilting doesn't seem to have any real advantage over just layering with something else.

HTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ltboy
Good day chaps,easy question. How effective is heated clothing and down to what temperatures can you keep warm. Also i heard that Gerbing is the best make as you can link sock,trouser,jacket and glove liners together. Please everybody chip in with there experience of heated clothing
post #3 of 18 Old Dec 27th, 2010, 10:13 am

I just received an Aerostich Kanetsu heated vest, not sure how it is compared to Gerbings but I use their Roadcrafter suit which is a great item. Just another manufacturer option.

r

2008 RT
2002 LT champagne
2003 Shadow
1986 Yamaha 500
1981 Honda Twinstar

post #4 of 18 Old Dec 27th, 2010, 10:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by itspossible
I just received an Aerostich Kanetsu heated vest, not sure how it is compared to Gerbings but I use their Roadcrafter suit which is a great item. Just another manufacturer option.

r
There are several threads about the topic, and everyone has their opinion, but from personal experience using the Aerostich Kanetsu AirVantage vest - it has worked for me better than the Gerbings I used to own. Not that there was anything wrong with Gerbings, it is that the design of the Aerostich, with it's inflatable air bladder makes it much more effective as it puts the heating coils next to your body and provides a layer of air which insulates so much better. I can't say enough as to how well it works - and this was before I lived in AZ, and I lived in Minnesota and most of my riding was in the cold.
http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-k...tric-vest.html

Scott

Scott

In the garage:
'12 K1600 GTL (took delivery 5/25)
'12 Ducati Monster EVO 1100
'08 Big Dog Pitbull
'79 Honda CX 500 Deluxe (restored)

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 Old Dec 27th, 2010, 12:05 pm
Sit

Have used full Gerbings for several years now. Love them!! When it starts to get a bit chilly, the full jacket liner goes in, once it gets cold, then the heated pant liners go in too. I just got a pair of heated insoles which seem to work very well also as they just radiate heat up into your foot to keep them toasty warm. Even during the spring time when it can be chilly in the mornings, I wear the heated jacket liner under my mesh jacket. Once it warms up some, turn it off, warms up more, take it off. I have ridden with my Gerbings on a GS down to 5 degrees F. It heated up plenty to keep me warm. The important thing is to get a set that is properly sized, they should be snug in fit. I also find it is helpful to turn them on before you get up to full highway speed, so they get heat into your jacket and aren't fighting against any air blast also trying to get into the jacket.

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1989 K100RS - Blue & White
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold
post #6 of 18 Old Dec 27th, 2010, 1:06 pm

i also used gerbings down to 5 or 6 degrees. it does help keep you warm
post #7 of 18 Old Dec 27th, 2010, 2:44 pm

Only tried the Gerbings. I use the Jacket w/ sleeves. Best piece of equip I've purchased. Cuts down on the amount of clothes I need to take on trips. I've ridden many times in the mid 20's and not turned it up to the highest. I would like to try some other brands but just ut of curiosity...not disappointment. I don't have the heated pants or socks. I just don't seem to get that cold on the LT. It's amazing how the LT protects you with its fairing design and windscreen.

Rocket Ron

2002 LT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2002 Honda VTX1800R (gone)
post #8 of 18 Old Dec 27th, 2010, 5:35 pm

I don't ride below freezing BUT..........................
Gerbing jacket liner at 34F has to be turned down for comfort.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #9 of 18 Old Dec 27th, 2010, 10:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit
Have used full Gerbings for several years now. Love them!! When it starts to get a bit chilly, the full jacket liner goes in, once it gets cold, then the heated pant liners go in too. I just got a pair of heated insoles which seem to work very well also as they just radiate heat up into your foot to keep them toasty warm. Even during the spring time when it can be chilly in the mornings, I wear the heated jacket liner under my mesh jacket. Once it warms up some, turn it off, warms up more, take it off. I have ridden with my Gerbings on a GS down to 5 degrees F. It heated up plenty to keep me warm. The important thing is to get a set that is properly sized, they should be snug in fit. I also find it is helpful to turn them on before you get up to full highway speed, so they get heat into your jacket and aren't fighting against any air blast also trying to get into the jacket.
My wife and I love our Gerbings jackets and gloves. With the LT faring protection, I haven't found it necessary to have pants or socks and have ridden in 19 degree weather.

Emphasis on the snug fit. In fact, you want it snug to the point it really feels a bit tighter than you would normally wear a jacket. This ensures a more even heat.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #10 of 18 Old Dec 27th, 2010, 11:47 pm

Give me a shout. I sell Warm & Safe heated gear. Oldest mfgr out there.

Liners are 90 watts to. Gerbing is 77 watts.

I got some cheap prices right now!!

Warm & Safe Heated Clothing Sale- Lowest Prices!!

Contact Me.

post #11 of 18 Old Dec 28th, 2010, 1:17 am

Garage

I've used the Aerostich Kanetsu for several years. It is an incredibly effective, logical and durable design. I ride a naked R1150R all winter long...sometimes down into the teens Fahrenheit with no problems.
post #12 of 18 Old Dec 28th, 2010, 6:32 am

I have the Warm and Safe, couldn't be happier with it and I live in upstate NY! The customer service is second to none, I just received and email from them about and exchange I asked for almost a year ago, asking me if I still wanted to exchange the item!!!
post #13 of 18 Old Dec 28th, 2010, 1:11 pm

We have and enjoy Tourmaster heated clothing. She likes the controller being on the thigh where it is easily accessible. I like that I can use it easily on the LT or GT and the heat contoller is always on my thigh. The jacket, pants, gloves all connect together. If you get electric socks, they plug into the pants (not the chaps). Same for gloves connecting to jacket (not the vest). Enjoy!
post #14 of 18 Old Dec 28th, 2010, 1:57 pm

I have owned Gerbings and now own the First Gear (made by Warm & Safe). Gerbings worked great, well made & very good customer service. The only reason I went to the First Gear liner is the store had a nice deal on it. I do notice the First gear/Warm & Safe liners fit me better. I have ridden in cold weather down to 28 degrees and never cranked the heat troller higher than half way and have never found the need for heated pants liner. Heated liners are a very worthwhile investment.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #15 of 18 Old Dec 28th, 2010, 3:49 pm

I also have a Tourmaster heated jacket liner (I just purchased it last week) and it was too hot in 37 degrees when the controller was set on the high temp setting. This liner comes with a 3 year warranty vs. the Gerbring's lifetime warranty. The difference was $100 since I purchased the Tourmaster on cyber Monday at a 16% discount (net price was $151) from Jafrum.com. Since I live in the Philly area, the jacket won't get used too often but seems to be a nice option to have when riding.

Good luck on your search as it seems you cannot go wrong with either Gerbing or Tourmaster - I just can't speak for any other manufacturers.
post #16 of 18 Old Dec 28th, 2010, 6:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

I also have the full body Gerbing setup; socks, pants, jacket and gloves. They plug into each other and then, into a dual zone controller that gives me the ability to regulate my temperature and divide the body based on your individual needs. I prefer to regulate by “top half and bottom half” per controller. I’ve had this system for several years, and even though the LT provides great weather coverage in its own right, the Gerbing provides that added comfort level that allows extensive riding on those really cold days.

The equipment has operated flawlessly, although as previously mentioned, the wires running through the socks can very quite annoying (even painful) if you plan on walking any distances. That being said, the socks keep your entire foot and leg up to the calves toasty on the coldest of days. Gerbing has recently switched from the socks to foot liner. I just received a pair as a Christmas present and because of the recent snow, I haven’t had a chance to give them a try…

I consider it to be a great investment, since even if it’s too warm to plug in the gear, it can still be used as an effective jacket/pant liner, ready to be called into action should the temperatures drop into the uncomfortable range.

Bob

2005 Blue K1200LT
2010 R1200GS
BMW/MOA 94539

post #17 of 18 Old Dec 28th, 2010, 11:59 pm

I've been riding with a Gerbing jacket liner and pants for the past five years. Temps in the mid twenties are no problem. (Ditto what CharlieVT said about road surfaces at those temps). The jacket heats up very quickly and the controller has settings for light, dark, bagel and pop tart. The pants seem to take a bit longer to hear up and I never really feel the warmth in them as I do from the jacket. I attribute this to wind on the legs and protection from the windscreen on the chest. I've never needed the gloves. The heated grips and some decent downhill ski gloves work fine for me. I've thought about getting the socks, but I've never suffered from cold toes while riding.

One comment I have heard is that the temperature setting should be a touch on the low side so you feel a little bit of the chill. The reasoning is that being toasty warm can lull you to sleep. I've never experienced that. Lowering the windscreen and raising the face shield at 65 with 20 degree temps is a real wake up call.

Good luck!

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

post #18 of 18 Old Dec 30th, 2010, 1:39 pm

For those of you interested in heated gear, I received an email from a company I just bought my heated jacket liner from and they are running a 16% discount. You can now buy a Tour Master heated jacket liner for $150 - just use the discount code "jafrum" when ordering. Here is their website www.jafrum.com.

The details are:

76 watts
6.4 amps
167 = high temp
151 = med temp
126 = low temp
3 year warranty

Glenn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in