2009 LT front shock bad - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 11:20 am Thread Starter

2009 LT front shock bad

Interesting situation with the front shock on my 09 LT. The dealer says it is bad and under warranty there are no replacements available in the States or in Germany. There appears to be a backlog from the manufacturer with no dates for availability. My dealer recommends I do not ride the bike. The options we discussed is that I pay the difference between the BMW shock and another aftermarket brand...or they see if they have a used one and they will install it then when a new one arrives they replace it. The only hitch here is that warranty only pays labor once for the shock replacement. I would be looking at a $200 charge ... :historic

So if I wait for a new shock,,,,I am without a bike
If I play the temporary used shock or an Ohlins I have to spend my money

These guys have been great to me and I just want a new shock (BMW) covered under warranty....Any recommendations?

Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 11:33 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: 2009 LT front shock bad

Call Dan Kyle Racing and get a quote from Dan for the shock (or set). Then you can talk to the dealer about what they pay (now that you have a quote) and have the dealer order and replace under Warranty you pay delta for part.

There will be some cost to you as they pay cost for BMW parts but pay retail for Ohlins. If you were buying, the parts would be very close to the same price for OEM or Ohlins. I'm betting the delta is less for Ohlins than for the labor bill for the double switch. Plus it's rebuildable.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 12:02 pm

What was the indication that the Shock was bad if you don't mind saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuster
Interesting situation with the front shock on my 09 LT. The dealer says it is bad and under warranty there are no replacements available in the States or in Germany. There appears to be a backlog from the manufacturer with no dates for availability. My dealer recommends I do not ride the bike. The options we discussed is that I pay the difference between the BMW shock and another aftermarket brand...or they see if they have a used one and they will install it then when a new one arrives they replace it. The only hitch here is that warranty only pays labor once for the shock replacement. I would be looking at a $200 charge ... :historic

So if I wait for a new shock,,,,I am without a bike
If I play the temporary used shock or an Ohlins I have to spend my money

These guys have been great to me and I just want a new shock (BMW) covered under warranty....Any recommendations?

Thank You

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969

post #4 of 9 Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 12:03 pm

unbelievable.

Norwood and LaNett Dennis
12 K1600 GTL
08 K1200LT (sold)
07 Ural Gear-Up Arctic (for sale to get a Spyder)
01 K1200LT (sold)

"Not all those who wander are Lost," J.R.R. Tolkien
post #5 of 9 Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 12:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCrider
unbelievable.
+1 and I understand your frustration.

but having the wilbers as a replacement shock, I would gladly pay the difference. In fact I would consider getting the rear replaced also with ohlins or wilbers. Then you'll need never buy new ones again since you can rebuild them. You're in the drivers seat, wheel and deal. Ask if you can have a loaner bike while THEY wait for the part. Through that on the table too. Ask what THEY are going to do to resolve the issue.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #6 of 9 Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 12:23 pm

I bet they'll look at their cost of the BMW shock versus the list price on the Ohlins. You'll be looking at fairly big $$.

I would agree that you should not be riding that bike on a shock the dealer says is bad.

IF they cannot find a "temporary" shock to let you continue to enjoy your bike, they ought to offer a loaner bike equivalent to the LT.

That is the angle I'd push.

I'm also curious as to what happened to your shock that made it fail quickly.

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #7 of 9 Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 6:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegottberg
I bet they'll look at their cost of the BMW shock versus the list price on the Ohlins. You'll be looking at fairly big $$.

I would agree that you should not be riding that bike on a shock the dealer says is bad.

IF they cannot find a "temporary" shock to let you continue to enjoy your bike, they ought to offer a loaner bike equivalent to the LT.

That is the angle I'd push.

I'm also curious as to what happened to your shock that made it fail quickly.

Joe

+1 on a loaner moto.

Also, don't rule out HyperPro shocks.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #8 of 9 Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 9:13 pm Thread Starter

Greetings:
Appreciate all the thoughts and ideas. I must say I was not aware that the front shock had problems. I had just returned from a 3K trip to the northeast to check out the fall foliage (beautiful) and noticed a good bit of black residue arround the tail pipe so I took it to my dealer to have it checked out. These guys know I like to have them look the bike over for any problems when I bring it in. The issue with the shock was something they discovered.

I did as recommended and called for prices on shock replacement. Once that task was completer (retail pricing) I gave the dealer a call and struck a deal. We are going to put an Ohlins on the bike. I contacted BMW Motorrad USA Customer Service and they were understanding of the situation but only recommended that I leave the bike with the dealer until the new shock manufacturer begins to supply product. No date for availability of the new shock was given. One would think a world class company like BMW would have been all over this. They quit manufacturing the bike in 2009 so I guess the need for shocks was deselected. Whatever....

So back to the deal. The bottom line is this is going to cost me $150. I guess I can look at it this way. I got a good shock, installed really cheap. These guys felt as bad as I did so they offered me a GT with a top case so my wife would be comfortable until the bike was back in service.

Three cheers for my dealer...I enjoy working with them and I consider myself fortunate to have this kind of relationship with them...

Thank you John, Bobby and Adam !

You guys are the best
post #9 of 9 Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 9:31 pm Thread Starter

One thing I forgot to mention is I just turned 30,000 mile on this bike. Still one hell of a machine. I can see 100,000 in the near future and have all the confidence it will take me there. Some may even say 100,000 is a bit conservative...go for 250,000.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in