Intermittent radio/headset only-battery low? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Oct 20th, 2010, 5:50 pm Thread Starter

Intermittent radio/headset only-battery low?

Ok guys...because of you I'm getting interested in doing some of my own wrenching...but I'm very nervous and not much of a mechanic. First problem...my 09 LT is getting a bit slow starting after it sits for 8 or so hours. I'm also experiencing intermittent radio thru the headset only...the speakers work continuously. I've swapped my cord for a new one and it still happens so I think the cord(s) are fine. Is it possible that a low battery could make the blackouts in the headset? Maybe it's just the 5 pin plugin that I had installed for the headsets in May.

I've just pulled the battery and I'm doing a deep cycle charge as the dealer said to do (didn't mention to them about the headset/radio problem just the slow turnover on startup). I know living here in the Phoenix area the heat is hard on the batteries of cars so I assume it is on the LT as well. I ride approx. 6 days a week and I've put 18k on the bike since getting it. So, it's got a total of 22k on the original battery...it's 2 years old and it's been in the Phoenix heat for 14 months.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Jim

Blue Knights M/C
2009 K1200 LT
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 Classic LT
1989 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1972 Honda 750
1969 Kawasaki 100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Oct 21st, 2010, 6:32 am

Re: Intermittent radio/headset only-battery low?

Jim,

After you charge the battery, take it to a battery store or service shop and get it LOAD TESTED, that will give you a true picture of your battery condition. If that proves good, start looking at connections, not only at the battery but also the other end of the cable both positive and negative.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #3 of 5 Old Oct 21st, 2010, 7:57 am

That AZ sun will kill batterys faster for sure.......
I just replaced mine after alittle less then 2 years i have a 2008 in the ca desert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #4 of 5 Old Oct 21st, 2010, 9:48 am Thread Starter

Boatzo and Woody,
Thanks for the replies. I charged the battery all night and put it back in this morning before work. It fired up strongly and the radio/headset worked until I stopped at the first stop sign. It blanked out but my intercom was activated even though I was solo. When I started rolling again the radio/headset worked perfectly until the next stop light (weird). It repeated that process all the way to work. I doubt the battery had anything to do with all that but I dunno.

The only other thing I'm wondering about is maybe some water got into the 5 pin plug in that my wife uses. I noticed that the protective spring loaded door on her plug in is not working correctly and it stays open a little bit. I wash the bike each week on my days off and I just washed it last Monday...and that's when the radio problem started.
thanks again

Jim

Blue Knights M/C
2009 K1200 LT
1972 Honda 750
1969 Kawasaki 100
post #5 of 5 Old Oct 21st, 2010, 1:17 pm Thread Starter

For any/everybody:
Just got off the phone with my dealer service writer. After describing the radio/headset/intercom problems he told me that the battery will indeed cause those types of problems when it falls below 10 volts.

I've ordered a new battery and bmw battery charger from A & S and hopefully that should fix it.

Hope this can help somebody else

Jim

Blue Knights M/C
2009 K1200 LT
1972 Honda 750
1969 Kawasaki 100

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in