Got tired of the cowbell - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Oct 19th, 2010, 11:00 am Thread Starter

Got tired of the cowbell

I began to find all the noise the cowbell makes embarrassing. I found a fellow that had an EBC rotor and scuffed in pads for sale thru the BMOA website. When the weather turns I plan on doing this myself. I do not have a heat gun and I guess I may need it to revove a couple of screws. Any hints, warnings and suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Larry
2001 BMW K1200lt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Oct 19th, 2010, 11:26 am

Re: Got tired of the cowbell

I did not have to heat the bolts on mine to remove the rotor. But if you need a heat gun, they're only $20 or less.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #3 of 17 Old Oct 19th, 2010, 11:29 am

Talking Re: Got tired of the cowbell

I used a hair dryer on mine and they came out easy. I think they might have come out cold, but I didn't try them.

Clymer spec says to buy new screws, but I and a few others here, thinks it's not necessary.
You be the judge!

Just my .02 cents worth.

Hope it solves your "cowbell" effect. I just put a little goo on the rivots and it quieted it down and still floats.

Vern

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====

post #4 of 17 Old Oct 19th, 2010, 11:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernvernvern
Clymer spec says to buy new screws, but I and a few others here, thinks it's not necessary.
You be the judge!
Vern
Good point. I re-used mine with some blue thread lock. Go red if you think you might worry about it.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
post #5 of 17 Old Oct 19th, 2010, 11:54 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I have removed 3 ABS ring by drilling a 1/8 inch hole into the rotor just inside the ABS ring. Do this about every 2 inches around the rotor & the ring will just pop off with a long screw driver. After all the old rotor is trash anyway. To install ring on new rotor just put rotor on a piece of wood bigger then the rotor. Put ring in place then put a 2X4 flat on the ring & tap on with a hammer moving the wood around the ring a few inches every hit.

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 17 Old Oct 19th, 2010, 12:02 pm Thread Starter

Vernvernvern

What do you mean by "Goo"

Larry
post #7 of 17 Old Oct 19th, 2010, 6:14 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I bought a used one with the ring already on it. Wow what a difference. I am actually using the rear brake at stop signs again with out the red face.

As far as the bolts go they only hold it on when the wheel is off, otherwise the five lug bolts do all the work.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #8 of 17 Old Oct 19th, 2010, 6:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernvernvern
I used a hair dryer on mine and they came out easy. I think they might have come out cold, but I didn't try them.

You be the judge!Vern
Where can I find "new" rotor screws?
Dealer says I must buy$$$ entire assembly, screws not listed as available seperatly.
My 02 clanks terribly and screws seem worn at 84K.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

post #9 of 17 Old Oct 20th, 2010, 10:56 am Thread Starter

My EBC rotor came with new screws. The clanking (cowbell) is not from the screws. Its from rivets holding the rotor and the floating design. I guess that the weather is changing for the worse here in Oregon starting Thursday evening & I hope to do the work soon but I am still trying to find a new front tire.
post #10 of 17 Old Oct 20th, 2010, 11:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkniess
Vernvernvern

Larry
I used the blue disc brake quiet goop. A small brush to help swab it all around the rivets. My rotor was not cowbelling but the rivets seemed loose to me.
I've seen others post about using RTV silicone.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
post #11 of 17 Old Oct 20th, 2010, 3:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougholck
Where can I find "new" rotor screws?
Dealer says I must buy$$$ entire assembly, screws not listed as available seperatly.
My 02 clanks terribly and screws seem worn at 84K.
Now that's FUNNY! Not funny ha ha but, funny strange. When I bought my rotor from the parts department, the service department asked "Did you think to order the rotor screws also?" "Its Ok! We have some extras". Anyway, no more clanking.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #12 of 17 Old Oct 20th, 2010, 6:46 pm

As strange as this sounds, I resolved the cowbell clanging on my 01LT (94K) by taking off the rotor and inserting shoe goo into the loose rivets. See photo. Let it dry overnight (outside the garage since the goo is smelly) and the next day it will be hard as a rock. I put it back on the bike and have had no problems since (for about 2K miles so far).

Got the idea from this website.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1450.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	29271   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1451.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	29272  

Dan Sullivan
2011 vStrom DL650
1999 K1200LTC
Hillsborough, NJ
post #13 of 17 Old Oct 20th, 2010, 6:51 pm Thread Starter

Photos do not work!
Larry
post #14 of 17 Old Oct 21st, 2010, 10:51 pm

Sorry, cannot get photos to upload correctly. Will keep trying.

Dan Sullivan
2011 vStrom DL650
1999 K1200LTC
Hillsborough, NJ
post #15 of 17 Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 2:12 pm

Hope these photos come out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1450 a.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	29296   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1451 b.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	797.0 KB
ID:	29297  

Dan Sullivan
2011 vStrom DL650
1999 K1200LTC
Hillsborough, NJ
post #16 of 17 Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 10:14 am

Talking Re: Got tired of the cowbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkniess
Vernvernvern

Larry

Sorry for the delay, Larry.

Nothing I've used is very long lasting. The first time I used a dab of "form a gasket". The last time I used "boot cement". It has quieted the cowbell effect the longest.

There is nothing professional about this fix. Make sure you don't use much volume of anything that might disperse and get on/under your brake pads, causing it to be a safety issue.

We old farmers use a lot of baling wire for fixes, but it won't work in this situation. LOL
Vern

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #17 of 17 Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 10:56 am

Be careful with the "goo" fix. While it will dampen the vibration, it will not make up for a rotor worn out of spec. If your rotor has significant radial or circular movement, replace it.

I say "significant" because I couldn't get my dealer to put a number on it, he just knew my rotor was "out of spec." Kinda vague, but I hope you get the difference. I posted a video awhile back on what my rotor looked like. If youv'e let the vibration go on for some time, check for wear before thinking the goo will make up for it.

Happy riding,

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in