Stuck Oil Filter - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 16th, 2010, 8:44 pm Thread Starter

Stuck Oil Filter

greeting, during the last oil change the filter rounded off. I could not get the wrench to grab. So, I predrilled the wrench, put it on a ran some self-tapping screws through the bottom. Whalla. Took longer to locate the tools, and do the job.
dale
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0773.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	29231  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 16th, 2010, 8:47 pm

Re: Stuck Oil Filter

Some use a strip of sand paper on the walls of the filter wrench, and I have been successful in the past with just "padding" with a layer of rag to take up the slack.
Glad your method worked for you.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 17th, 2010, 8:33 am

I notice you are using a cheapy wrench. I've had better luck with the 'official' wrench or one of the nice machined ones. A little less chance of slipping.

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 17th, 2010, 8:44 am Thread Starter

yea, I have a 75 and 76 millimeter thicker version as well, but the space between the filter and engine will not allow them.

where did you get an "official" one ?

thanks,
dale
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 17th, 2010, 9:22 am

The "official" one can be found at your BMW Motorcycle Dealer.

The first time I changed my oil, they were out of them but I asked about the price.
On the way home I stopped in AutoZone along with my new BMW filter and found wrench that fit perfectly at a much more pleasing price.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 18th, 2010, 3:23 am

Fastest way of getting the filter out, whne this occurs, is just punch a screwdriver through the body of the filter and loosen it that way.

The filter is used up already and ready to be tossed away.
post #7 of 11 Old Oct 18th, 2010, 7:05 am

... all good suggestions and in the future....... finger tight!

Because of this forum, in the very early stages of my ownership, I bought a list of good tools, anticipating the different fluid changes. The cost of good tools was cheep, compared to the dealer charges to do the same work.

Eight ( 8 ) fluid changes myself, has more than paid for the quality.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #8 of 11 Old Oct 18th, 2010, 7:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flattop
Fastest way of getting the filter out, whne this occurs, is just punch a screwdriver through the body of the filter and loosen it that way.

The filter is used up already and ready to be tossed away.
A large set of slip-joint pliers works well, also.
post #9 of 11 Old Oct 18th, 2010, 8:30 am

I'm gonna jump in here, just cuz - cuz I just went through this rigamarole? with ole Toad. For the SECOND time!!

Feller, who helps me service ole Toad, and I were talking the other day about "which one of us did this dastardly deed." And after much thought, I don't think it wuz either one of us.

I've been using that unspellable engine oil in ole Toad since way back, and have amassed a pretty good shelf load of their filters. I noticed that somewhere along the way, they changed the make-up of the filter casing. The first time I could not remove the filter during an oil change, I chalked it up to a gorilla. I wuz able to get it off after inserting some sandpaper around the inner flutes of the filter wrench. Made me wonder how in the world did it get installed tight in the first place? Anyway, got it off after much wrestling with it.

Then, the other day, I'm finishing up service on ole Toad, and left the engine oil change 'til last. Sure enough - damn filter would NOT loosen up. Tried the old sandpaper remedy - no joy. I've got 4 filter wrenches, to include the OEM one. Every one of 'em, except the OEM, would feel like they would do the job - at least on install. The OEM obviously had a larger inside diameter than the filter o/d, so had stayed on the shelf. The other 3 would 'almost' grab the flutes on the filter, butt would slip when force wuz applied.

I finally poked two holes in the bottom of the filter; inserted the prongs of a needle nose plier and twisted; and joy! Then I got to looking at the rest of my filter supplies and noticed that of the 5 left, one wuz like I used way, way back in the day, and the other 4 were of the new model variety, with an obvious smaller case o/d at the flutes. I think I'm s'posed to ask Amasoil for one of their wrenches that apparently will fit the new generation filter --- butt I ain't gonna. I've got 4 wrenches already, for criminy sakes!! So, I'll continue with my hunnert-year supply of oil, and switch to either the OEM filter, or as I understand, the Bosch one that BBYard sells. You'd think after me and ole Toad have been to the dance for over ten years, we'd know who's 'posed to lead?!?1

So, therein lies the story of friends not wanting to blame each other, and rightfully so - t'weren't either of 'em's fault. Won't happen again!

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread!!
post #10 of 11 Old Oct 18th, 2010, 8:33 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I had one so tight that the 2 screw methad only ripped the filter open. I then tryed a screw driver and only ripped the filter even more. I finallay gripped the schreeded housing with vice grips and put a long screw driver inbetween the handles for leverage to remove it. After removing the filter the O-Ring gasket was melted in a few places from contact with the motor. It was also dry of any oil. I have always put a layer of old oil on the new gasket to keep this from happeneng. It took 45 minutes ro remove the filter.

Stevie Shreeve
post #11 of 11 Old Oct 18th, 2010, 9:38 am

Thank you Dick, this has happenned to me once. and may have been my fault, I had to remove the bottom pan to get a wrench on the filter for removal a real royal pain in the a$$, as the self tapping screws did not work. in the future I will check the fluts closer on instilation and the tork.

Loansumrider: Jim
01 LT Fast Pacific Blue ... " The Goose "

? when to ASUME, and HOW MUCH should you ASUME, safely ?

Last edited by loansumrider; Oct 18th, 2010 at 9:44 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in