New riding observations - feedback/help needed - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2010, 4:45 pm Thread Starter

New riding observations - feedback/help needed

I've almost got 1000 miles (a little of 22k) on my new-to-me '05 that I took delivery on Labor Day weekend; after a dinner ride last night with the wife, there's a few issues that are starting to disturb me - to the point that I'll either not take our big annual ride here in 3 weeks on it and/or get rid of the bike I'm holding off on installing the $$$ of farkles that I've purchased and have lying around until I feel more comfortable with the bike...

1st issue - extreme difficulty putting the transmission into 1st gear when I've been in neutral - either upon startup or while idling. Example from last night - I had placed the bike in neutral at a stoplight (almost never do that) to try and address an issue with the intercom. Light turns green, unable to get it into first no matter what I try (rocking it back and forth, etc.) - meantime I've got a bunch of cars behind me. Turn on 4-ways and cars go around and I miss the light. FInally get it into gear and take off on the next green. Noticed this behavior during the test ride(s) and pointed it out to the dealer - of course he says "they all do that" and tried to show me a trick to make it smoother...I've about had it with this "quirk" - any suggestions?

2nd issue - this one is hard to describe, but when braking at slow speeds ( <15-20mph) and usually in parking lots, I hear this godawful grind? noise from around the front of the bike - I'm always using the front brake because the rear squeal so bad - doesn't always do it, but enough...stops after a few seconds usually and so far my wife hasn't commented on it and I haven't noticed passersby staring, though I can't believe they don't notice it...Front brake pads look okay to me on casual inspection...

I don't trust my dealer to look into these issues initially and I don't know anyone locally with a '05 or newer LT that could test ride it, etc to try to determine what's going on...

Is there anyone with 100-150 miles of Greenville (SC) that I could ride up and see what's going on - if anything?

We may have to take the car on our annual BRP trip or hurriedly take my ST1100 out of mothballs instead... TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2010, 5:05 pm

Re: New riding observations - feedback/help needed

I noticed both of these issues when I first got my 2005 LT and I think I had the same two questions for my first post here. But the brake squeak was in the rear. I lived with the rear squeak until I replaced the rear pads due to wear (about a year later) and now the noise is gone. You may want to just take some sand paper or course emery to both sides of all the rotors and take the glaze off of them and see if that helps.

The issue with getting into first seems to be a bit more problematic for you than it is/was for me. But they guys here suggested slowly releasing the clutch lever while dropping into first. I have found that also letting the bike roll forward or back eases this process too. I can tell you that it is now just a habit for me to ease out on the clutch and I never have the issue any more.

Its been well over two years now and other than the cheap plastic stuff that keeps on breaking, I love the bike. In fact I am leaving for a ride in 5 minutes.

Good Luck!
post #3 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2010, 6:39 pm

I had a similar issue on an '02 R1150RS. The solution was to keep pressure on the shifter and slowly let the clutch out. This was the recommendation from the mechanic. I don't recall if he ever said, "They all do that, sir." Anyway, it worked every time and I never had a problem after 5 years and 26,000 miles.

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2010, 6:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling1
I've almost got 1000 miles (a little of 22k) on my new-to-me '05 that I took delivery on Labor Day weekend; after a dinner ride last night with the wife, there's a few issues that are starting to disturb me - to the point that I'll either not take our big annual ride here in 3 weeks on it and/or get rid of the bike I'm holding off on installing the $$$ of farkles that I've purchased and have lying around until I feel more comfortable with the bike...

1st issue - extreme difficulty putting the transmission into 1st gear when I've been in neutral - either upon startup or while idling. Example from last night - I had placed the bike in neutral at a stoplight (almost never do that) to try and address an issue with the intercom. Light turns green, unable to get it into first no matter what I try (rocking it back and forth, etc.) - meantime I've got a bunch of cars behind me. Turn on 4-ways and cars go around and I miss the light. FInally get it into gear and take off on the next green. Noticed this behavior during the test ride(s) and pointed it out to the dealer - of course he says "they all do that" and tried to show me a trick to make it smoother...I've about had it with this "quirk" - any suggestions?

2nd issue - this one is hard to describe, but when braking at slow speeds ( <15-20mph) and usually in parking lots, I hear this godawful grind? noise from around the front of the bike - I'm always using the front brake because the rear squeal so bad - doesn't always do it, but enough...stops after a few seconds usually and so far my wife hasn't commented on it and I haven't noticed passersby staring, though I can't believe they don't notice it...Front brake pads look okay to me on casual inspection...

I don't trust my dealer to look into these issues initially and I don't know anyone locally with a '05 or newer LT that could test ride it, etc to try to determine what's going on...

Is there anyone with 100-150 miles of Greenville (SC) that I could ride up and see what's going on - if anything?

We may have to take the car on our annual BRP trip or hurriedly take my ST1100 out of mothballs instead... TIA
The first one is easy and is standard dry clutch behavior (happens with my Chevy pickup and Hyundai Sonata as well). Two solutions:
1. Release the clutch lever while in neutral (fully engage the clutch) to get the input shaft spinning, now pull in the clutch level and quickly shift into first before the shaft spins down.
2. This one is faster and the one that I personally use. Hold light pressure downwards on the shift lever (DON'T stand on it!) and slowly release the clutch lever (engage) the clutch. As soon as the clutch engages enough to spin the input shaft, the tranny will jump into gear.

I am not as sure about the second issue. My LT has never had any significant noise from the front brakes. The rear squealed like a banshee when the bike was new, but I qualified for the BMW change from 5 bolt to 10 bolt (or maybe it was the other way around) disk change and that has largely killed the squeal, but I still do occasionally get a moderate squeal when lightly applying the rear brake.

Have you inspected both calipers carefully to check for a pebble that may be stuck in there?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #5 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2010, 6:57 pm
Sit

My 05 can also be stubborn going to first, usually just play with the clutch at the friction point as I tap the shifter and it drops in. My front brakes do the same thing. At low speed, seems like the right side for some reason, can her a grinding, clunking sound, not metal on metal though, pads are fine. Seems to go away once bike has been ridden for a while. Not present or nearly as present on harder stops, only when being easy on the brakes. My rear squeek too. Oh well, I know they are working.

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1989 K100RS - Blue & White
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold
post #6 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2010, 7:08 pm

When I bought my '03 LT (with 15K miles on it at the time) I had the same trouble with shifting into first. Brought it up on this site and learned to play with the clutch. Still happens but when I put it into neutral and release the clutch and then want to go into first, almost always can't do it the first time. So I am in the habit of revving the engine, letting out the clutch just a tad, then I shift into first and it usually goes right away. It's one of those things you get used to and then don't even think about it. Can't help with the squeal.
post #7 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2010, 7:09 pm

The shifting issue into first is normal, I hold the shift lever down, slowly let out the clutch and it will click right into gear. After a few rides I don't even think about it any more, second nature now. I find the rear brake can get noisy at times, A few hard stops seems to dampen it for awhile.

Bob
post #8 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2010, 7:33 pm

And then when you've got those rythyms down, you can listen for the cowbells?

Larry Johnson
2003 K1200LT
1995 K1100LTSE
1993 K1100LT
199l K75RT
post #9 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2010, 8:51 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Every bike I ever own would not go into first gear AFTER the light turned green. It is a panic thing. But the advise given here will get you in gear every time. You need to use the clutch to help line it all up since there is no oil drag spinning the transmission input shaft. You just can't stomp your way into first but rather need to glide your way into it. Once you get the hang of it, it will be second nature.

As far as the front brake noise, I think that is also the nature of the beast but we have all become accustomed to it. These are rather noisey at slow speeds. If the pads still have meat ( I am still on the first set @60K) and you see nothing loose or damaged on the rotors, then go enjoy your trip.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #10 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2010, 8:59 pm

Thumbs up Re: New riding observations - feedback/help needed

In addition to the posted suggestions regarding engaging into first gear (remember that your bike has a single disc dry clutch so it will feel different than what you experienced on previous bikes) I would add one: check the shift linkage for excessive play. You may need a slight adjustment that will take care of your problem.
Regarding the noise on the front brakes... if your pads have enough life left in them you should not worry about it. By the way the front and rear brakes are linked on your 05, so even if you only use the brake pedal you are still invoking the front brakes as well.
I think your bike is fine for your upcoming trip!

Edit: Dang! John beat me to it... again!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #11 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2010, 9:00 pm
KJN

We used to call this sort of thing "double clutching". I have a 2000. Same thing the first time I rode it.

What works for me...

If I'm in neutral...

And the thing won't slip into first...

Pull the clutch and release...

Pull the clutch...again...

Step on the shifter...

She slips right in. No problem.

I thought this was normal. Maybe I'm the dummy. Been doing this for years.

Good luck,

Kimble

Phoenix
post #12 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2010, 9:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling1
I've almost got 1000 miles (a little of 22k) on my new-to-me '05 that I took delivery on Labor Day weekend

1st issue - extreme difficulty putting the transmission into 1st gear when I've been in neutral

2nd issue - this one is hard to describe, but when braking at slow speeds ( <15-20mph) and usually in parking lots, I hear this godawful grind? noise from around the front of the bike - I'm always using the front brake because the rear squeal so bad - doesn't always do it, but enough...stops after a few seconds
I can't believe nobody has said it, but I'll give you $200.00 cash right now for that piece of cattle dung.

Seriously, the double-clutching procedure posted above works for me every morning. I don't park the bike in gear in my garage, so I have to double-clutch it after backing out.

As for the brake squeal, get some Disc Brake Quiet from your auto parts store, pull the pads, check the thickness, coat them up, and put them back. Should cure the problem. One more thing you can do is wear earplugs. No bothersome squeaks, rattles, etc. Plus if your wife is telling you something, "I can't hear you. I have my earplugs in", is a perfectly good response to anything she says.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #13 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2010, 9:26 pm

Interesting, I have the same issues on my 05.

Brake noises, I ignore.
Getting into first gear, I apply a little pressure to the shift lever and release the clutch slightly, just pops in.

I think my Dad's 64 Dodge pick up had the same problems
post #14 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2010, 10:06 pm

I've got an 02 and I rarely have either problem, that I'm aware of. My brakes squealed a little in the beginning but with 48,000 miles and still riding the original pads, there is hardly any noise. Maybe I don't use um enough!

Once in a while, the bike won't go into gear mediately from neutral so I just release the clutch and re-engage. Seems to do the trick. Happens maybe 1 in 25 stops.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #15 of 16 Old Oct 17th, 2010, 8:27 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: New riding observations - feedback/help needed

Many thanks all for the feedback/suggestions - this is the first dry-clutch bike (& BMW) that I've owned, so perhaps I'm still in the learning curve...I'll practice the suggestions for engaging 1st gear - fairly confident that will resolve it...the noise from the front end, I'm still a little doubtful on - just due to the nature of the noise - guess I'll have to ride it some more and try to duplicate the problem and see what common denominators are present - with my work schedule, I only ride this bike once a week and perhaps 75 miles at a time...

I didn't bother to bring up the headshake issue as I've researched it here and have accepted it as something that "they all do" to varying degrees.

Guess I'll go ahead here in a few hours and start stripping off the Tupperware to install the farkles - thanks again for the reassurances...
post #16 of 16 Old Oct 17th, 2010, 11:06 am
Sit

As for the front brakes, for those that posted about brake squeel from the front, I don't think he is talking about a squeel. On mine its a clunking soundish thing. I have been told it has to do with the floating rotors maybe? But everything up front seems okay when I check it. Bike has to go in next weekend for at seals on the FD, gonna ask the tech then about the front. He is an independent tech, so he will actually spend time talking to me and looking at other issues I am sure.

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1989 K100RS - Blue & White
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in