Fuel Leak - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Oct 15th, 2010, 5:33 pm Thread Starter

Fuel Leak

I don't see anything. Just smell it. Awful powerful gas odor after bike is started, goes away after it is shut off. Did a search and found a couple threads on leaks but nothing that fits my situation. Before I tear off Tupperware, any suggestions?

MRWAD
Y2K 1500 Vulcan Classic "HOG Harasser"
05 SV1000S "Buell Beater"
05 K1200LT "Goldbling"
My Toy Box is Full!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Oct 15th, 2010, 6:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Fuel Leak

Probably the quick connect on the right side under the tip-over wing. The right panel needs to come off to get to it. The originals are plastic and the male half cracks. Most leak some. Some leak enough to cause a fire. You can get the entire metal set from Beemer Boneyard or just the male half from your BMW dealer. A 5/16 double barb with fuel injection-rated clamps makes a good temporary fix.
post #3 of 22 Old Oct 15th, 2010, 6:24 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Did you just filled up the bike? If so you may have "over filled" it. Remove the gas cap & listen for a "Swoosh" sound from the tank. If you hear it then the canister is clogged. & needs to be removed.

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 22 Old Oct 15th, 2010, 11:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey
Probably the quick connect on the right side under the tip-over wing. The right panel needs to come off to get to it. The originals are plastic and the male half cracks. Most leak some. Some leak enough to cause a fire. You can get the entire metal set from Beemer Boneyard or just the male half from your BMW dealer. A 5/16 double barb with fuel injection-rated clamps makes a good temporary fix.
Is there some more info for replacing the quich disconnect fittings?
post #5 of 22 Old Oct 16th, 2010, 7:10 am

I had the same thing a couple of weeks ago so I ordered the metal disconnects from Beemer Boneyard. I guess I should have taken the plastic off first as fuel was just seeping out from around the line on the tank...new hose clamp and it was fixed. just take the right top panel off and investigate.

oh well

r

2008 RT
2002 LT champagne
2003 Shadow
1986 Yamaha 500
1981 Honda Twinstar
post #6 of 22 Old Oct 16th, 2010, 11:07 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by itspossible
I had the same thing a couple of weeks ago so I ordered the metal disconnects from Beemer Boneyard. I guess I should have taken the plastic off first as fuel was just seeping out from around the line on the tank...new hose clamp and it was fixed. just take the right top panel off and investigate.

oh well

r
Thanks, good advice. I will remove the panel later today or tomorrow and let you know the results.

MRWAD
05 K1200LT "Goldbling"
My Toy Box is Full!
post #7 of 22 Old Oct 16th, 2010, 11:18 am

This may help...but it may be just your canister.......

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ighlight=quick
post #8 of 22 Old Oct 16th, 2010, 3:50 pm

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...ne_Disconnects

Same day shipment

hundreds of BMW owners have used these.

Call if you have any questions!
317-639-0340 ask for Jack (General Manager)

or anybody can help you

Tom Volk

Full disclosure:
I own RPW
home of Marsee Products and Helen Twowheels Products
post #9 of 22 Old Oct 17th, 2010, 2:56 pm Thread Starter

Failed miserably in trying to remove right side Tupperware. Could not remove the Jpegs so I cannot get the crhrome piece behind the rubber bumper off. Jpeg bolts are frozen or I just ain't brave enough to apply enough torque to get them out for fear of stripping out the hex. Unless I I can get them out with break free it is going to be a trip to the stealer.

MRWAD
05 K1200LT "Goldbling"
My Toy Box is Full!
post #10 of 22 Old Oct 17th, 2010, 4:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwad
Failed miserably in trying to remove right side Tupperware. Could not remove the Jpegs so I cannot get the chrome piece behind the rubber bumper off. Jpeg bolts are frozen or I just ain't brave enough to apply enough torque to get them out for fear of stripping out the hex. Unless I I can get them out with break free it is going to be a trip to the stealer.
Got the Jpeg off now. Not sure if I want to rip the rest of the way into it this late in the afternoon.

Ref earlier replies: Decanisterized so it isn't anything to do with that and I have less than a quarter tank of fuel in the bike.

Has to be the fuel line.

MRWAD
05 K1200LT "Goldbling"
My Toy Box is Full!
post #11 of 22 Old Oct 17th, 2010, 4:30 pm
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Failed miserably in trying to remove right side Tupperware. Could not remove the Jpegs so I cannot get the crhrome piece behind the rubber bumper off. Jpeg bolts are frozen or I just ain't brave enough to apply enough torque to get them out for fear of stripping out the hex. Unless I I can get them out with break free it is going to be a trip to the stealer.

You should be able to use a pair of vise grips on the J-Peg bolt. You might try heating the bolt with a hair dryer or a small torch as they may have lock tite on them. Watch out for the small detent ball when you take the peg off. Use the vise grips in conjunction with the allen wrench. You may need a second person. but unless the bolt is cross threaded on put on with red locktite this method should get the bolt out. Put the bolts back with blue locktite.
Good Luck
Jim

Jim Davidson
2007 R1200RT
post #12 of 22 Old Oct 17th, 2010, 5:40 pm Thread Starter

Got the right side completely removed. Turned on the key to engage the fuel pump and got a fine spray shooting out the side of the bottom hose. Good thing I wasn't smoking or hand't squated down to watch before I turned the key.

So how hard is the change out once you get the new connectors?

Edit: Just read your post wardenross:

How did you cut off the OEM hose clamp?

MRWAD
05 K1200LT "Goldbling"
My Toy Box is Full!

Last edited by mrwad; Oct 17th, 2010 at 5:45 pm.
post #13 of 22 Old Oct 17th, 2010, 6:07 pm
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Got the right side completely removed. Turned on the key to engage the fuel pump and got a fine spray shooting out the side of the bottom hose. Good thing I wasn't smoking or hand't squated down to watch before I turned the key.

So how hard is the change out once you get the new connectors?

Edit: Just read your post wardenross:

How did you cut off the OEM hose clamp?

No need to cut the clamps. Just take a small flat blade screwdriver that will fit in the crown piece of the clamp & Move it back and forth while holding the disconnect piece & the clamp willl open up and come right off. I have changed alot of these and always used this method.

Jim Davidson
2007 R1200RT
post #14 of 22 Old Oct 17th, 2010, 6:55 pm Thread Starter

Sounds easy enough. I will order the parts and see if I can do this without causing permanent damage to myself or the bike. Made it this far without breaking or losing anything.

MRWAD
05 K1200LT "Goldbling"
My Toy Box is Full!
post #15 of 22 Old Oct 18th, 2010, 7:42 pm Thread Starter

I am wondering why I need to replace the quick disconnects (slow disconnects actually) instead of just buying two hose clamps and a brass or plastic hose connector from auto zone?. I don't ever see myself needing the quick disconnect. Only a mechanic would. So why are they there?

If I spend $10 and fix this and never know why it is there, then it is worth the savings.

Comments?

MRWAD
05 K1200LT "Goldbling"
My Toy Box is Full!
post #16 of 22 Old Oct 18th, 2010, 7:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If you ever want to change the air filter. you won't be a happy camper without them.
If you bring it to the stealer and they have to remove the tank they might charge a disposal fee for your $3.00 +/- gals of gas..+ new clamps+ extra labor+++

good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 22 Old Oct 18th, 2010, 8:06 pm Thread Starter

I just needed someone to tell me why they were there. I will go with cheap repair until the next detupperwarization.

MRWAD
05 K1200LT "Goldbling"
My Toy Box is Full!
post #18 of 22 Old Oct 20th, 2010, 8:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvolk
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...ne_Disconnects

Same day shipment

hundreds of BMW owners have used these.

Call if you have any questions!
317-639-0340 ask for Jack (General Manager)

or anybody can help you

Tom Volk

Full disclosure:
I own RPW
home of Marsee Products and Helen Twowheels Products

+1

I love mine.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #19 of 22 Old Oct 25th, 2010, 9:55 am

Ironically I was reading this thread last week and had the problem this week-end. My wife and I were out in the boonies participating in a club scavenger hunt. At one point I wound the bike out to about six grand in second and third gears (I normally shift around 4 or 5K). Soon afterward I began to smell fuel really strongly. My wife commented over the autocom intercom that she smelled it too. I immediately thought, quick disconnects? Since I was in the boonies and it was just after dark I continued on for about 10 miles until I reached civilization and a gas station with a lighted area. Upon inspection of the bike while on the centerstand with the engine running I found gasoline pouring out of the right hand side of the fairing. The tip over wing had fuel dripping off of it. I then noticed that my right boot was also covered in gasoline. I knew then the problem was definitely a fuel quick disconnect. Since I only live another 7 or eight miles away I decidend to ride the bike home. Luck was with us and we made it without any problems
I pulled the tupperware and found the lower fitting to be the culprit. Since it was Saturday night and I had to finish the scavenger hunt on Sunday I opted for a temporary fix. Before removing the broken fitting I made a quick trip to the local Autozone and bought a 5/16" brass straight barbed coupling. After removing the quick disconnect fittings I found the 5/16" coupling was too small. It was obvious there was an O.D./I.D. measurement issue here. The package marked as 3/8" would work but by this time the auto parts stores were closed. Plan "B"! I had to ride my other BMW which is a '97 K1100LT to finish the ride on Sunday. Since I am no longer in a time crunch I may opt for the permanent repair with the steel quick connect couplings from Beemer Boneyard.
My question is; is there a flow direction on these quick disconnects or can they go in in either direction? In the pictures I have seen on this forum I see the new couplings put in in opposite directions.
Thanks and Ride Safely,
Steve

Ride Safely,
Steve

'09 K1200LT "Clyde"
'03 K1200LT (totaled out 3-16-11) "The Beast"
'97 K1100LT (104,000) "Red Ryder" (Sold Feb 2013)
'09 KLR 650 "Killer"
'05 KLR 250 "Lil' Killer"
'09 Kymco People 200 S "Wife's Trainer"
'09 Kymco xCiting 500i "Wife's next step"

It is amazing what a little "throttle therapy" will do for you.
post #20 of 22 Old Oct 25th, 2010, 11:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12smitty
My question is; is there a flow direction on these quick disconnects or can they go in in either direction?

Steve,

Either direction, see my post above and check the link for my pictures.

By the way, I live just down the road from you.

Small world!
post #21 of 22 Old Oct 25th, 2010, 12:35 pm

Thanks Warden. I read your post last week and that is the reason I knew exactly what the problem was and where it was coming from. I noticed you had installed the new quick connects in opposite directions in your photo. That is one of the things that prompted me to wonder if they were directional. Thanks for your quick reply. Stop by WR sometimes and say hey. Be sure to come to the Georgia Mountain Rally, in Hiawassee, GA, the first week-end in May. My wife, Paula, and I will be running the Rally Store.

www.bmwmoga.info

Ride Safely,
Steve

Ride Safely,
Steve

'09 K1200LT "Clyde"
'03 K1200LT (totaled out 3-16-11) "The Beast"
'97 K1100LT (104,000) "Red Ryder" (Sold Feb 2013)
'09 KLR 650 "Killer"
'05 KLR 250 "Lil' Killer"
'09 Kymco People 200 S "Wife's Trainer"
'09 Kymco xCiting 500i "Wife's next step"

It is amazing what a little "throttle therapy" will do for you.
post #22 of 22 Old Oct 25th, 2010, 3:34 pm

They are not directional, but it makes it a lot easier not to confuse and switch them when putting them back together if they are not installed in opposite directions.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in