Finally took the plunge as well. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Oct 13th, 2010, 11:28 am Thread Starter

Finally took the plunge as well.

Been monitoring the board for some time-great board and info on here! Have way too many motorcycles probably like a lot on here but mostly been a Goldwing guy over the years but always wanted to pick up a K1200lt. They just have dropped to the point I had to jump on one. Hard decision as I had decided to go 2005 and up but a beautiful 1999 came open with only 30k miles and it was the color I wanted-Black!

Now I have a couple questions. It's at a Harley dealer and they say the paint job is so utterly perfect they think it had to be a factory paint job. It has a good(not rebuilt) title. Could there have been some 1999 K1200lt's that came black from the factory?

Also all my radio gear is 5 pin din connection. Will the 1999 K1200lt be a 6 pin or 5 pin?

Finally will I be able to plug a Midland Cb in the oddments box and make it work? I know this is a subject frought with difficulties from past threads lol.

I'm picking it up tomorrow late or Friday.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Oct 13th, 2010, 11:35 am

Re: Finally took the plunge as well.

I purchased one of the first black LTs in the US, and it was a "limited edition" color in the 2001 model year. So I do not think black can possibly be a factory paint job on a 1999 LT.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 9 Old Oct 13th, 2010, 1:07 pm

I saw that bike online, I think...Quincy Illinois? It is gorgeous, but I have to agree, I don't think it is original. The K1200LT decals seem to be missing from the right and left fairing. Those are rarely missing on a factory paint job, and are rarely replaced on a repaint. That wouldn't stop me from moving forward after a good test ride making sure it tracks straight and feels right. The price is sure right on that one!

post #4 of 9 Old Oct 13th, 2010, 5:11 pm

Do they have salvage titles in IL for motorcycles? Just wondering.
post #5 of 9 Old Oct 13th, 2010, 9:53 pm Thread Starter

tnjason thanks for the pep talk. I'm glad someone else thinks it's a great looking bike. I have the Pearl Yellow Gl1800 which almost has a neon glow my wife says but she actually likes the hi vis trying to keep up with me lol(she rides a trike). I like several of the Beemer colors but the black one is my favorite. She's gonna have to look harder now to spot me on Nightrider lol.

I just assumed most states had a version of a rebuilt title. LIke I said the Harley dealer is convinced it's factory. Maybe someone just wanted a black one and had it painted. I'll look it over good but I'm really hoping and expecting it to be NICE!

By the way does anyone have an answer on the radio cord hookup? Is it a 5 pin or 6 pin on the 99? I'm pretty sure it's a 6 pin which means I'll have to buy a lower cord to match.
post #6 of 9 Old Oct 13th, 2010, 11:29 pm

If you have the J&M performance or elite series headsets, you can get a 6 pin cord and they will work. If you have the older headsets like me (Yamaha), you have to update the headsets also. I just ordered my new headsets and cords today.
post #7 of 9 Old Oct 13th, 2010, 11:37 pm Thread Starter

Thanks just been researching it and it is of course the 6 pin hookup. The CB question is a novel on the board. Looks like the old Midland 830 is the only one to make work from researching the archives.
post #8 of 9 Old Oct 14th, 2010, 8:28 am
Lifetime Supporter

Not sure if this bike is in Quincy, IL but if you are coming this way and picking the bike up at the local Harley dealer on Thursday I could meet you there (if you like). I'm getting ready for a fall foliage ride leaving tomorrow and if you are planning to ride the bike back to KY you could always join us.

Dennis Franks
[email protected]
post #9 of 9 Old Oct 14th, 2010, 8:59 am

I noticed that the back of the panels on my LT has a sticker that demotes the factory color. mine is 343 for canyon red.

You could always take a torx driver with you to the dealer and see what the back panel will tell ya.

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in