Oil change question--removed the access door and whoosh... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Oct 11th, 2010, 6:08 pm Thread Starter

Oil change question--removed the access door and whoosh...

Changed the oil on my '04 LT yesterday, was admittedly overdue (well, OK, it was dirty as hell).

In the past when I've removed the access panel/door to get to the oil filter, there's been SOME oil that came out (maybe a couple ounces), but this time when I took it off, it seemed like the floodgates had opened. Probably 2/3 of the oil I ended up draining before I even pulled the oil filter.

Wondering if my oil filter (used a K&N this time around) screwed the pooch, or if there's a bypass of some sort if the oil filter gets clogged up, or if there might be something else I need to worry about.

Filter looked ok (no ruptures or cracks on the exterior), gasket was in one piece and solid, didn't look like it had been rolled or crimped when I installed it. I ended up looking a little like Al Jolson when it happened, so I wasn't interested in ripping the thing apart after cleaning myself and my garage floor up, so can't tell you what the inside of the filter looked like.

Thoughts?

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Oct 11th, 2010, 6:11 pm

Re: Oil change question--removed the access door and whoosh...

Pete..
If you had the "woosh" when you removed the 3 screws to open the filter access plate?

There should not be any pressure inside the crankcase..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #3 of 13 Old Oct 11th, 2010, 6:27 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Pete..
If you had the "woosh" when you removed the 3 screws to open the filter access plate?

There should not be any pressure inside the crankcase..

Not "woosh" as in the sound, "woosh" as in about two quarts of dirty, hot oil came pouring out when I opened the filter access plate.

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.

post #4 of 13 Old Oct 11th, 2010, 6:37 pm

Pete... it does rapidly exit...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #5 of 13 Old Oct 11th, 2010, 6:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
Changed the oil on my '04 LT yesterday, was admittedly overdue (well, OK, it was dirty as hell).

In the past when I've removed the access panel/door to get to the oil filter, there's been SOME oil that came out (maybe a couple ounces), but this time when I took it off, it seemed like the floodgates had opened. Probably 2/3 of the oil I ended up draining before I even pulled the oil filter.

Wondering if my oil filter (used a K&N this time around) screwed the pooch, or if there's a bypass of some sort if the oil filter gets clogged up, or if there might be something else I need to worry about.

Filter looked ok (no ruptures or cracks on the exterior), gasket was in one piece and solid, didn't look like it had been rolled or crimped when I installed it. I ended up looking a little like Al Jolson when it happened, so I wasn't interested in ripping the thing apart after cleaning myself and my garage floor up, so can't tell you what the inside of the filter looked like.

Thoughts?
Did you first drain the oil using the drain plug? If not, then I am not surprised that the oil came out the oil filter cover. Where would it stay otherwise?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #6 of 13 Old Oct 11th, 2010, 6:55 pm

Wink Re: Oil change question--removed the access door and whoosh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
Not "woosh" as in the sound, "woosh" as in about two quarts of dirty, hot oil came pouring out when I opened the filter access plate.
Ops normal! That is the bottom of the oil sump that the plate is covering, so you will get all but what is in the filter itself. The key is to loosen the front two screws, then break the torque on the third screw, but do not back it out until you remove the other two screws. Then you can SLOWLY loosen the third screw to let the oil start draining out!

HTH,
John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #7 of 13 Old Oct 11th, 2010, 6:58 pm

I bet he did not drain the oil from the plug first.

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #8 of 13 Old Oct 11th, 2010, 7:10 pm

What happened was normal. Plate holds the in the oil.... Plug can be removed or not. I take mine out to get rid of the little bit there too. Be sure to clean the washer or install a new one on the plate.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #9 of 13 Old Oct 11th, 2010, 7:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
What happened was normal. Plate holds the in the oil.... Plug can be removed or not. I take mine out to get rid of the little bit there too. Be sure to clean the washer or install a new one on the plate.
I take mine out for that reason, but mainly to keep the plug from freezing in place in case some day I really NEED to remove it. :-)

Plus it is just the right thing to do!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #10 of 13 Old Oct 12th, 2010, 8:12 am

Yep, as was said, it's completely normal. If you don't want it to go "woosh" in the future, drain the oil from the drain plug first. then remove the oil filter cover. Or you can be a bit more controlled about removing the oil filter cover (loosening the bolts only a little bit at first), which helps direct the oil where you want it to go.

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #11 of 13 Old Oct 12th, 2010, 2:34 pm

Pete, I would worry about the times only a couple ounces came out! Unless you pulled the drain plug in the past before you pulled the sump cover. If you don't pull the oil plug, I don't bother, then nearly 4 quarts of oil should drain out of the sump cover.

Sorry about the mess. Nothing quite like a hot engine oil shower to wake you up!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #12 of 13 Old Oct 12th, 2010, 3:20 pm

A lot of us don't even bother with the plug - u can just drain the oil from the filter cover

02 LT
post #13 of 13 Old Oct 12th, 2010, 4:11 pm

Yes, the filter is IN the oil. Its not just an oil filter cover. Its the oil and filter cover. Open slowley.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in