2009 LT with Navigation IV - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Oct 9th, 2010, 9:04 pm Thread Starter

2009 LT with Navigation IV

I have an '09 LT with the Nav IV system installed on it. When getting directions to a location, I see the route I should take but there is no audio coming through the radio. The manuals don't seem to indicate what should happen so I thought I would ask on this forum. Does anyone know if I should be able to hear turn by turn directions through the radio?

Thanks,

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Oct 9th, 2010, 9:30 pm

Re: 2009 LT with Navigation IV

Eric, I dont think you can hear it through the speakers. I always have my helmut headset on when listening to navigation. Someone will let you know for sure...
post #3 of 12 Old Oct 10th, 2010, 12:12 am Thread Starter

fwkraft,

I have a helmet handset and don't hear anything from either it or the speakers. Just trying to figure out whether to return it to the dealer for fix or not.

Thanks,

Eric

post #4 of 12 Old Oct 10th, 2010, 7:32 am

Do you have the wiring loom that ties your com system with the GPS?
post #5 of 12 Old Oct 10th, 2010, 7:48 am

I don't have the same setup you do, but when I run a Zumo 550 off its internal battery there is no audio. It's designed that way. Once I connect it to the bike or car battery the prompts are there.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old Oct 10th, 2010, 9:33 am

Eric,
I have an 09 and I bought the Navigator 3 plus. No voice prompts on the bike through headset or speakers. When I put it in my car, the voice prompts work fine. Dealer couldn't figure it out either. Contacted Garmin CS by email and they said that the bike may have been wired incorrectly during the dealer install. Garmin also said that if the dealer has another unit that is working, to have them try that unit on the bike and if it works, Garmin will take the unit back and replace it or fix it. I'm not scheduled to go in for another service for a couple of months so I'll tell them the Garmin info then. I actually hate the voice prompts when it's in the car...that "Karen" beoch won't shut up...but I think it should work and let me have the choice anyway. It might come in handy say in NYC or another big city where I don't have much time to keep looking at the screen. Good luck.

Jim

Blue Knights M/C
2009 K1200 LT
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 Classic LT
1989 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1972 Honda 750
1969 Kawasaki 100
post #7 of 12 Old Oct 10th, 2010, 10:58 am

Do you have the J&M intercom audio system? With that properly wired you should get the audio from the Nav system through your headset. Mine works perfectly. I am just trying to figure out if I can have my phone attached on bluetooth through the nav system and still hear and voice dial. Still haven't played with it yet...
post #8 of 12 Old Oct 10th, 2010, 12:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have a 2007 LT with Nav IV and I hear the directions through my helmet head set. My pillion passenger does not hear them and if we're talking via intercom, the Nav will interrupt the conversation (she is unaware of the interruption). Fortunately, as with most women, she just keeps talking anyway and I can just pick up on the conversation when the Nav is done.

If you aren't getting audio directions, something is wrong with the unit, the wiring or your settings.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #9 of 12 Old Oct 10th, 2010, 1:03 pm

so if I read this right, you should obviously hear the voice commands from the GPS through a headset, but not through the external radio speakers, EVER. Correct?

Had the dealer install the Comm II and I just completed a home install of the Nav IV yesterday, and hear nothing through the speakers. Don't have a headset yet, so I'm not complete, but just checking to be sure.
post #10 of 12 Old Oct 10th, 2010, 2:40 pm

Garage

Hi, I think the manual for the Nav IV doe tell you what you can expect for the audio / mount. I think it is closer to the end of the manual - it is in the form of a table, but it is buried deep within.

In short, for audio / motorcycle mount it will transmit bluetooth audio only. The ZUMO 660 has an audio lead which will take a headset or even link to the speaks (Not sure because I have a Nav IV myself.)

Hope this gives you an answer and possible solution.

Best regards
Sleuth

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #11 of 12 Old Oct 10th, 2010, 4:25 pm Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your responses. This is awesome! As I stated, I have an '09 with the Nav IV system. I just got the bike about 3 weeks ago and also got the Comm II system (part of the BMW promotion). I also have a headset which is working properly. My dealer did all of the install and it sounds like I need to return to them to fix this. It's time for my first service (ouch I understand) so when I return it for that, I will have them correct this oversight. If anyone knows of a way I can go after it, I'm all ears (so to speak).

Thanks again!

Eric
post #12 of 12 Old Oct 10th, 2010, 4:49 pm

I purchased my 09 LT last December and also got the COM II along with the Nav IV. Since I was unable to listen to any MP3's through my headset, or pair my iPhone with the unit, I called Garmin and after about four calls I finally talked with an IT person who told me there was a software / firmware problem with the NAV IV (660) and they didn't know when and if Garmin was going to address it. I explained that a friend had just purchased the 665 so I placed it in my cradle and the unit worked flawlessly.

To make a long story short, Garmin upgraded me to a 665 which now also gives me XM which I will subscribe to next year. On a quick note after getting the 665, I played around and found the none of the 4 buttons on the cradle worked so I removed and installed the cradle that came with the 665.

On a quick note: If you find that you are having problems, before you give up your NAV IV, go into it and copy the BMW locator so that you can add it to the 665. I thought it was pretty cool having all the BMW shops locations especially since I do a lot of road trips. Good luck

garyw
BMW MOA #156791

"09" K1200 LT

"03" GL1800

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in