2009 LT purchase - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Oct 9th, 2010, 6:34 pm Thread Starter

2009 LT purchase

I wanted some opinions as to a 2009 LT and a 2009 Harley Ultra Classic. I currently own a Ultra and have the option to get a new 09 LT with 20 miles on it. I have never owned a BMW all Harleys for 30 years, I am not impressed by the ultra handling when on the road even though it is the new frame set up. I am little worried about what I read about the Final Drive situation as I have never been stranded on the side of the road in all these years, I take great care of my bikes and question if the switch is a good one. I have been a Police Motor instructor for 15 years and wonder if the BMW performance is that much greater than the Harley, thanks for letting me ask and get some answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Oct 9th, 2010, 7:09 pm

Talking Re: 2009 LT purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott554
I wanted some opinions as to a 2009 LT and a 2009 Harley Ultra Classic. I currently own a Ultra and have the option to get a new 09 LT with 20 miles on it. I have never owned a BMW all Harleys for 30 years, I am not impressed by the ultra handling when on the road even though it is the new frame set up. I am little worried about what I read about the Final Drive situation as I have never been stranded on the side of the road in all these years, I take great care of my bikes and question if the switch is a good one. I have been a Police Motor instructor for 15 years and wonder if the BMW performance is that much greater than the Harley, thanks for letting me ask and get some answers.

well, let's see.... I had a:
'97 K1100LT that i traded in with 88,000 miles (chestnut roaster!)
2005 K1200 LT, totalled in May '09 with 72,000 miles (walked away with 19k damage to the bike...)
and now a 2009 K1200LT with 19,000 miles.

no big issues, no major failures.

The handling on the LT is phenomenal. Hands down better than your current bike. It takes practice at low speeds, and loves higher RPM's, but get used to it, and you will love it!

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER
post #3 of 22 Old Oct 9th, 2010, 8:37 pm

Re: 2009 LT purchase

Final drive problems were on around 4% of LTs prior to 2003 models, and less later, and LTs after 2005 have had far fewer problems with final drives.

You owe it to yourself to take a nice long test ride on the '09 if possible, once you get used to the different, and far better handling in the twisties, the much greater power when you run it between 3500 and 7500 RPM (important), you may just decide the small chance of a final drive failure is a small price to pay.

The fat lady loves to sing, so do NOT shift it like your Harley, or you will have a badly mistaken impression of her performance range. The LT is pretty doggy below 3500 RPM, but has great power and acceleration above that. It will leave an Ultra way back with ease when you get into the twisty roads.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 22 Old Oct 9th, 2010, 10:14 pm

If you are after handling, go to the LT. I was riding with a friend and his Ultra Classic a couple of weeks ago thru some nice twisties and finally couldn't handle following any more. Bike was begging to go and he was riding like an old man on a Harley. Rev it high and use more engine for braking than brakes. The LT loves to lean!!!

Dave
Plainfield, IN
'05 LT Ocean Blue
post #5 of 22 Old Oct 9th, 2010, 11:13 pm

Hi Scott,

Last month I sold my Ultra Classic 110 SE and purchased a new 2009 LT. For me the handling of the LT, the comfort and safety are big winners. Better suspension and handing in my book translates to either going faster or more safety. Agreed with previous comment, the LT really starts to perform above 4,000 rpm, but don't go above 4000 until its broken in. My wife loves riding with me on it. I can ride for hours and not get sore, whereas on the Ultra my shoulders would be hurting. If you want to ride in the mountains you won't be tired out like on the Ultra where you have to do more pushing to get to the opposite turn. In a straight line the roar of the Ultra 110 off the line might win. For my money the LT is a much more responsive and fun ride.

Since you have been a police motor instructor for 15 years then you should have no problems with low speed maneuvering. This is the primary issue where folks initially have a problem. I would be surprised if you didn't love the LT.

09 K-1200LT
formerly: HD Ultra Classic, HD Dyna Sport
and a long time ago: Ossa 250, Honda 350, Honda 305, Honda 160

Last edited by greg09; Oct 9th, 2010 at 11:20 pm.
post #6 of 22 Old Oct 10th, 2010, 5:01 am

I have an '03 LT. Last month I rented a new Ultra to ride in Colorado while there on business. After a couple of days in the mountains and on the freeways, here are my thoughts: I enjoyed the Ultra, but often wished I had my LT. For me, the stock seat on the Ultra is more comfortable than the stock seat on the LT for riding all day, but other than that, I prefer the LT. Some of that may be due to just being more familiar with the LT, but two things are for sure. The suspension and brakes are far better on the LT and the cornering seems much smoother and natural. I graduated to the LT from a 300 pounds lighter bike and expected the LT to corner like a "Light Truck", but I'm delighted with it's handling.

After riding twins for years, keeping the RPM's up was tricky at first. Four cylinders firing at 3500 RPM results in twice the "explosions" as a twin at the same engine speed, so it sounds more like I'm running at 7,000 instead of 3500. But you get used to that. The ergonomics are different - your feet are under your knees on pegs instead of forward on floorboards. I wasn't sure if I would like that, but it is really a better position for handling the bike.

I'm sure that some would prefer the Ultra, but someone offered to give me the new Ultra if I would give up my LT, I would not take the deal - unless I could sell the Harley and buy a newer LT or the soon-to-be-released K1600GT.

An extended demo ride would be a good idea if you can do it.

Jim

'03 K1200LT
Garland, TX (Dallas area)
post #7 of 22 Old Oct 10th, 2010, 8:34 am Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the info, not really beaing able to really ride the bike had me a little concerned, I have to admit I like to ride hard and push the Ultra, just nevers feels like its in the groove just wiggleing around that nerves me on corners and in the twisties. One last question is extended warranty I keep readind about Pinnacle and have never heard about it and wanted to ask along with are there any others. Thanks again might be on LT buy tuesday!
post #8 of 22 Old Oct 10th, 2010, 8:39 am

In reading some of these posts, they leave me wonder about the rpm's. Several stated that 4000+ rpm's get's this girl performs better. Geez...how fast do you guys ride?
At 3500 rpm,s I am traveling at 75 mph and that's with a Hannigan sidecar.
post #9 of 22 Old Oct 10th, 2010, 8:49 am

I just bought a used 09 with 10,500 mile on it about a month ago put about 2000 miles on it and I love it. The only bad thing I can say about it is the seat for me. It is too soft. I bought an airhawk in hopes that it would help on long rides but for me it isn't much better. I'm sure that I will be purchasing a custom seat next year.

Even my die hard harley buddies are impressed with the speed acceleration, and cornering.

Before I bought it I borrowed a buddies Harley Ultra Classic for a weekend to see if I would like it. I like the Harley but like the BMW much better. Like stated in a previous post the rider position is much different. A test ride is what you need!

I am one of the unfortunate ones with a final drive seal failure. Luckily it was still under warranty and the dealer really took care of me.

Have fun!!

David

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #10 of 22 Old Oct 10th, 2010, 9:25 am
SEG

I purchased an extended warranty with Zurich at Bob's BMW. Zurich has a good reputation. With nearly 40K miles and no problems, I have not had to use the extended warranty. I've been very happy with my decision to go with the LT rather than a GW or another Guzzi. Good luck with your decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott554
Thanks guys for the info, not really beaing able to really ride the bike had me a little concerned, I have to admit I like to ride hard and push the Ultra, just nevers feels like its in the groove just wiggleing around that nerves me on corners and in the twisties. One last question is extended warranty I keep readind about Pinnacle and have never heard about it and wanted to ask along with are there any others. Thanks again might be on LT buy tuesday!

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299
post #11 of 22 Old Oct 10th, 2010, 10:37 am

Why, we're riding the speed limit of course! And sometimes a little over. And occasionally a little faster than that! Shifting at 3500-4000 rpm's will definitely improve performance. The bike has a 5 speed transmission and to get the most out of the bike you have to use it. Here's how: first, take the sidecar off, mine spends over 95% of the time under cover in the garage. Now that you have a normal LT go find some nice twisties or if you are just starting to get your feet wet with "aggressive riding techniques" go find some nice sweepers. These are the big long constant radius curves that are often posted 10-15 mph below the speed limit on the rest of the road. If the posted speed limit is 45 mph, drop the second digit and shift to that gear, in this case 4th gear. Practice using this technique and you will soon find that a 45 mph curve is easily, and safely, negotiated at 60 to 70 mph. In 4th gear you will be above 3500 rpm. Being in a lower gear allows you to use the engine as a dynamic brake which is quicker and safer than having to use the brakes.

The sweepers above that you rode in 4th gear? Now try riding at the same speed in 3rd gear and see how much quicker you can accelerate out the back end.

In the twisties, following the same guideline above, you will soon find that you will be very comfortable riding the twisties more safely than you could before. You don't have to speed to enjoy engine braking.

I rarely ride on urban freeways in 5th gear. I ride in 4th gear because it keeps the rev's which allows you to accelerate, or de-celerate faster than if you are in 5th. Do not abandon common sense by riding in 4th gear but use it as another tool to stay safe. The acceleration might make the difference between avoiding and becoming involved in an accident.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesn
In reading some of these posts, they leave me wonder about the rpm's. Several stated that 4000+ rpm's get's this girl performs better. Geez...how fast do you guys ride?
At 3500 rpm,s I am traveling at 75 mph and that's with a Hannigan sidecar.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #12 of 22 Old Oct 10th, 2010, 12:11 pm

Here's some further explanation on my comment about LT performance. Let's say you are used to getting optimum performance from a Harley between 2500 and 3500 rpm. To get the equivalent output on an LT you would be running between 3800 and 5800 rpm.

K1200LT Performance

09 K-1200LT
formerly: HD Ultra Classic, HD Dyna Sport
and a long time ago: Ossa 250, Honda 350, Honda 305, Honda 160
post #13 of 22 Old Oct 11th, 2010, 2:32 pm

Why choose one over the other? Get both! I have an 03' Classic an 94' Roadking and a 67' Triumph. I just added an 04' LT to the line up. They all have thier pro's and con's and I do pick one over the other, for that day. I've been riding for the last 30 years and fell in love with almost every bike I've owned. I have found a way to not take a beating selling a depriciated bike... by keeping it! My bikes are worth more to me than anyone would ever pay for them so I stopped getting rid of them 20 years ago! Ever wish you had that bike you used to have when you were 16... I still do !!!
Variety is the spice of life... riding the same bike everyday would bore me!
post #14 of 22 Old Oct 11th, 2010, 3:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Like all bikes - at first they are like a new girlfriend – you’ll get know her quirks. On my second LT - this one is a 05 I bought new and has 84K trouble free miles on her. I'm not an expert but it's a machine and some will develop problems. Keep in mind this forum is we share our problems and solutions. We assume everyone loves their LT and would not trade it so we focus on the issues. I love the aesthetics of Harleys, the bulletproof reliability of Hondas and the performance of BMWs. My 2 cents - the LT is the best all around touring bike out there. It's not a cruiser, but if you ride long distances and enjoy roads with turns in them - there is no better machine.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory – Growing Up is Optional
post #15 of 22 Old Oct 11th, 2010, 3:37 pm

I predict a TEST RIDE for you on Tuesday.. and subsequent new addition to your Barn..

Let me be first to congratulate you!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #16 of 22 Old Oct 12th, 2010, 10:23 am

PM sent....check box.

And as suggested above...take an EXTENDED test ride if possible.
post #17 of 22 Old Oct 13th, 2010, 12:04 am

You owe yourself a test ride on the LT. I rode police motors for 20 years and one ride on the LT and you'll know why BMW is the largest selling police motor in the world. Like most Beemer riders, I ride mostly with H-D owners and try to carry a couple extra tools here and there for them when they need them. As for reliability, I'd say that BMW has it all over H-D. Don't get me wrong, the Ultra Classic is a nice looking machine.

Ride safe!

Bill Hanna
Syracuse, NY
'01 K1200LT (mauve) traded
'04 K1200LT (Black Mariah) traded
'05 (Graphite)
Oh alright. . .I'll ride next to the Harley this time!
post #18 of 22 Old Oct 17th, 2010, 10:26 am Thread Starter

Smile Re: 2009 LT purchase

Well guys I crossed to metric side yesterday and took delivery of my 09 with 10 miles on it, little weird riding home but the biggest thing I noiticed was I could hear my self thinking and wanted to shift with my heel, I guess with time I will get used to it but so far so good!!
post #19 of 22 Old Oct 17th, 2010, 12:25 pm

Way to go. You will love it!!!!

Congrats.

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #20 of 22 Old Oct 17th, 2010, 7:56 pm

Congratulations!

You're in my general area (I'm in Allen) and I thought I bought the last '09 from the guys at BMW of Dallas. I guess you bought at BMW of Ft. Worth??? Maybe we can get together for a ride some Saturday morning! That's my favorite day to let it all hang out.

Enjoy!

Eric
post #21 of 22 Old Oct 18th, 2010, 11:52 am

I was a motor Jock for number of years in OKC, before going to the detective division. I rode Harley's for about 30 years and never thought I would willingly throw a leg around anything else, especially "foreign".

About twelve years ago on a trip to England to visit a "bobby" friend. He and I rode all over southern England on BMW RT's. It changed my attitude about riding.

I currently own a 2003 LT, and a F650GS. I am seriously considering purchasing a new 2009 K1200LT. My wife and I really enjoyed the many wonderful hours riding the LT. In my opinion there is no comparison between the comfort and reliability between a BMW LT and a Harley FLH.

I have ridden to both coasts and the gulf with no problems. On a recent trip I had a F.D failure with the crown bearing. It was fixed for under $500.00. I think I fell into the company of the relatively few BMW owners who experience this phenomenon.

I was speaking to a Harley rider while my K1200LT was being fixed. He had a $2500.00 repair bill he was paying. I felt like I was getting a bargain. In the same context of relative repair expense, it cost me $300.00 to get a new ignition switch put in my 2003 Ford.

I rented a Harley in Hawaii last year. It brought back many memories of the clunky, mechanical aspects of the beast. The power, the sound, the vibration, the virile traits and the view from the saddle I used to appreciate, was very familiar. I took comfort in that familiarity, but it also reminded me I could not return to my old Harley associations. I truly enjoy my K1200LT (and F650GS).

When maneuvering the LT in slow turns or slow traffic, I use the old throttle, brake and clutch balancing act. like I did with the P.D. Harley. The K1200LT is different, but it becomes a part of your rear end, just like any other motorcycle you ride with regularity.

vc
post #22 of 22 Old Oct 18th, 2010, 1:22 pm

Very nicely thought through and well stated post by a person exerienced with both V-Twins and imports. Totally lacking all hysteria! I knew it could be done!

Thank you,

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by olvick1
I was a motor Jock for number of years in OKC, before going to the detective division. I rode Harley's for about 30 years and never thought I would willingly throw a leg around anything else, especially "foreign".

About twelve years ago on a trip to England to visit a "bobby" friend. He and I rode all over southern England on BMW RT's. It changed my attitude about riding.

I currently own a 2003 LT, and a F650GS. I am seriously considering purchasing a new 2009 K1200LT. My wife and I really enjoyed the many wonderful hours riding the LT. In my opinion there is no comparison between the comfort and reliability between a BMW LT and a Harley FLH.

I have ridden to both coasts and the gulf with no problems. On a recent trip I had a F.D failure with the crown bearing. It was fixed for under $500.00. I think I fell into the company of the relatively few BMW owners who experience this phenomenon.

I was speaking to a Harley rider while my K1200LT was being fixed. He had a $2500.00 repair bill he was paying. I felt like I was getting a bargain. In the same context of relative repair expense, it cost me $300.00 to get a new ignition switch put in my 2003 Ford.

I rented a Harley in Hawaii last year. It brought back many memories of the clunky, mechanical aspects of the beast. The power, the sound, the vibration, the virile traits and the view from the saddle I used to appreciate, was very familiar. I took comfort in that familiarity, but it also reminded me I could not return to my old Harley associations. I truly enjoy my K1200LT (and F650GS).

When maneuvering the LT in slow turns or slow traffic, I use the old throttle, brake and clutch balancing act. like I did with the P.D. Harley. The K1200LT is different, but it becomes a part of your rear end, just like any other motorcycle you ride with regularity.

vc

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in