I'm afraid I could be killed!!!!!!!!!! Please Help.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Oct 9th, 2010, 2:18 pm Thread Starter

I'm afraid I could be killed!!!!!!!!!! Please Help....

A much greater oxymoron is BMW Motorrad Customer Service!!! or total lack there of. What a joke. I couldn't be more disappointed and it's very clear that they couldn't care less. Is there anyone reading this that has any idea how to get to someone in Customer Service that can actually provide Customer Service? If so, please please help me. I'm at wits end. They don't even bother returning phone calls.

My 2008 K1200LT has been in the shop for more than 4 weeks broken down for 3 seperate issues including a major engine repair with less than 2000 miles on it. Now the centerstand locks up half way down intermittently and has nearly launched me off the bike into traffic. I've been told "just be careful and keep an eye on it" How do you keep an eye on the underside of your bike. I have done some research and it appears that the Upper Management at BMW Motorcycles really doesn't give a crap about us customers or what we think and now apparently BMW doesn't even care if we are injured or killed by a defect in their product. This is truly frightening and I hope and pray nobody ever has to go through the run around I've been put through so far and it's not over. I never and I mean never would have thought I would ever say these words but " I'm almost wishing that I bought a Harley" and I just might!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Oct 9th, 2010, 2:34 pm

Re: I'm afraid I could be killed!!!!!!!!!! Please Help....

I think most people have found the best route is to work through their dealer. I think you will get the most satisfaction going that route. I understand your frustration but you'll need to be patient and work with the dealer on this.

Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Oct 9th, 2010, 2:52 pm
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diddly
A much greater oxymoron is BMW Motorrad Customer Service!!! or total lack there of. What a joke. I couldn't be more disappointed and it's very clear that they couldn't care less. Is there anyone reading this that has any idea how to get to someone in Customer Service that can actually provide Customer Service? If so, please please help me. I'm at wits end. They don't even bother returning phone calls.

My 2008 K1200LT has been in the shop for more than 4 weeks broken down for 3 seperate issues including a major engine repair with less than 2000 miles on it. Now the centerstand locks up half way down intermittently and has nearly launched me off the bike into traffic. I've been told "just be careful and keep an eye on it" How do you keep an eye on the underside of your bike. I have done some research and it appears that the Upper Management at BMW Motorcycles really doesn't give a crap about us customers or what we think and now apparently BMW doesn't even care if we are injured or killed by a defect in their product. This is truly frightening and I hope and pray nobody ever has to go through the run around I've been put through so far and it's not over. I never and I mean never would have thought I would ever say these words but " I'm almost wishing that I bought a Harley" and I just might!

It sounds to me like you need to change dealers. If they actually told you to keep riding with this defect I would think that they would be liable if you crashed because of it. I would definitely disconnect the power from the stand until it was repaired. You should ask your dealer if they would contact the area rep. from BMW NA so that you could talk to him. Also, if you are having multiple problems & the bike is still in warranty you might contact your state attorney general & check out the local lemon laws.

Jim Davidson
2007 R1200RT

post #4 of 10 Old Oct 9th, 2010, 3:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diddly
My 2008 K1200LT has been in the shop for more than 4 weeks broken down for 3 seperate issues including a major engine repair with less than 2000 miles on it. .............." I'm almost wishing that I bought a Harley" and I just might!

Are the fellas at Dartmouth a little bored this afternoon?
post #5 of 10 Old Oct 9th, 2010, 3:32 pm

As I understand it, if the dealer has your vehicle for more than 30 days total, (doesn't have to be continuous) you have a lemon law case.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
post #6 of 10 Old Oct 10th, 2010, 8:12 am

Hay Diddy
I did go back to HD ultra
Had an 06 Lt less than 10000 miles rear engine seal leak, clutch not slipping but right next door Rear radio speakers in-op most of the time. Just a matter of time before other known problems would arise. Didn't want to have to deal with those kinds of repairs on a 24.000 dollar motorcycle that I bought new. So I said bye bye Lt. Harley has the new frame now handling is way better than before not as good as the Lt but not bad. Happy now...........
Thats my story an Im stickin to it. Good Luck!!!!!!!
post #7 of 10 Old Oct 10th, 2010, 12:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp1bmw
It sounds to me like you need to change dealers. If they actually told you to keep riding with this defect I would think that they would be liable if you crashed because of it. I would definitely disconnect the power from the stand until it was repaired. You should ask your dealer if they would contact the area rep. from BMW NA so that you could talk to him. Also, if you are having multiple problems & the bike is still in warranty you might contact your state attorney general & check out the local lemon laws.
I don't know about New Hampshire, but in Washington state, motorcycles are exempt from lemon laws.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #8 of 10 Old Oct 10th, 2010, 4:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebeem
Hay Diddy
I did go back to HD ultra
Had an 06 Lt less than 10000 miles rear engine seal leak, clutch not slipping but right next door Rear radio speakers in-op most of the time. Just a matter of time before other known problems would arise. Didn't want to have to deal with those kinds of repairs on a 24.000 dollar motorcycle that I bought new. So I said bye bye Lt. Harley has the new frame now handling is way better than before not as good as the Lt but not bad. Happy now...........
Thats my story an Im stickin to it. Good Luck!!!!!!!
I had nothing but trouble with my gutless 2006 HD Ultra and dealer could have cared less. Dumped the ultra and took a bath, got the LT used and other than the cheap plastic stuff that keeps breaking I have had no problems. I think it's just the luck of the drawer. I have a 2009 HD Dyna that has been perfect. Go figure.
post #9 of 10 Old Oct 10th, 2010, 5:36 pm

I also think you need a better dealer.... Name the offender !
John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #10 of 10 Old Oct 10th, 2010, 5:38 pm

I would never go from a BMW with antilock brakes to a H-D without. I know there's a 1000 ways to crash, but both my crashes, 40 and 32 years ago wouldn't have happened if I had antilock brakes.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in