steering damper rebuild - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Oct 9th, 2010, 12:51 am Thread Starter

steering damper rebuild

anyone have any step by step pictures of the procedure, I have the instructions from here, but would like a visual reference if available. thanks again.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Oct 9th, 2010, 8:22 am

Re: steering damper rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2
anyone have any step by step pictures of the procedure, I have the instructions from here, but would like a visual reference if available. thanks again.
This is the only thing I've seen on this subject, it is in German but if you 'Translate' it does help. http://wiki.bmw-bike-forum.info/inde...fer_reparieren

Other option try 'HyperPro' they have a replacement at reasonable $.

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 Old Oct 9th, 2010, 10:44 am

Translated by Google?

Control mutes repair change out of BMW-Bike-forum to: Navigation, search

That the Dinger leaky will hang from my viewpoint therewith together that dirt remains hang on the piston pole and damages the sealing through it. I think would be a remedy well a kind of dust cuff of zubauen.

Heat the screw in the fork bridge unconditionally on 120 degrees, goes otherwise that not out.

Take:

Thin fork oil, (ca 60ccm) oil sort 10W 2 wave density rings outside 20, interior 10, tool for removing of explosive ring, a new screw for the fork bridge and
opposite side. (Screw security is also already at it ...)

Puhle the entire after thorough cleaning apart the wave sealings can be expelled with knocking of a rubber hammer or plastic hammer speedily and easily. There is something Sauerei with the oil.

Segerringe and disks remove expel then the ring with some beherzten blows with a plastic hammer on the piston pole on a side (goes somewhat heavily). New wave density ring imprint slips (have for that a suitable nut taken) with easy blows it very easily purely. Mount disk and Segerring.

Replace first a thread side, disk and ring immediately mount, after that the mother, (prevented the getting through)! would fill the entire with oil, (piston something move, until no more do bubbles come!), would pass a short string to the relief through the second wave sealings and would push it with the thread onto the wave, would remove the thread and would mount the disk and the ring again.

Alas yes I took a normal M8 key screw 2 mothers thereon turned screw into the control mute and the mother against the control mute countered. So I was able to harness that very beautifully in the screw cane and was able to mount of both sides.

The original label of the density ring is QHWA 10X20X7/8,5 VGF01Z03

Interior diameter 10mm, outside diameter 20mm, height 7mm / height 8.5 mm including. Schmutzabstreifer. The ring has makes therefore an installation height of 7mm and a Schmutzabstreifer of 1,5mm 8,5mm. It concerns a hydraulic pole sealing. Ca. 5 Euro per piece (10/2007 = €16.37 including. Postage), that goes yet yet in comparison with 175 Euro for a new mute. Manufacturer of the Dinger is Fa. KACO, deliver needs not directly therefore one a dealer.

Type label KACO 73839099

To relate by

Max Michl GmbH Munich, thrush ways 17, 81827 Munich, tel + 49,89 - 43,90,09,0

http://www.michl.de or per mail [email protected]

Swell RS forum

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34° 14’ 12.63 N
119° 01’ 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.

post #4 of 13 Old Oct 9th, 2010, 11:21 am Thread Starter

Smile Re: steering damper rebuild

Thanks to both of you, the picture will certainly help 100 % when working on this.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

post #5 of 13 Old Oct 9th, 2010, 2:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2
Thanks to both of you, the picture will certainly help 100 % when working on this.
I wrote up a "How Too" ... will find it in the Archives.

Ok, here it is http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...&sb=5&o=0&vc=1

and one here: http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...&sb=5&o=7&vc=1

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #6 of 13 Old Oct 9th, 2010, 2:44 pm

Bring it on over.

Got German tools.

B D R
post #7 of 13 Old Oct 9th, 2010, 9:07 pm

So what's your question?

I think my favorite is the "dinger leaky". Keep shop towels handy!

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomadman
Translated by Google?

Control mutes repair change out of BMW-Bike-forum to: Navigation, search

That the Dinger leaky will hang from my viewpoint therewith together that dirt remains hang on the piston pole and damages the sealing through it. I think would be a remedy well a kind of dust cuff of zubauen.

Heat the screw in the fork bridge unconditionally on 120 degrees, goes otherwise that not out.

Take:

Thin fork oil, (ca 60ccm) oil sort 10W 2 wave density rings outside 20, interior 10, tool for removing of explosive ring, a new screw for the fork bridge and

Puhle the entire after thorough cleaning apart the wave sealings can be expelled with knocking of a rubber hammer or plastic hammer speedily and easily. There is something Sauerei with the oil.

Segerringe and disks remove expel then the ring with some beherzten blows with a plastic hammer on the piston pole on a side (goes somewhat heavily). New wave density ring imprint slips (have for that a suitable nut taken) with easy blows it very easily purely. Mount disk and Segerring.

Replace first a thread side, disk and ring immediately mount, after that the mother, (prevented the getting through)! would fill the entire with oil, (piston something move, until no more do bubbles come!), would pass a short string to the relief through the second wave sealings and would push it with the thread onto the wave, would remove the thread and would mount the disk and the ring again.

Alas yes I took a normal M8 key screw 2 mothers thereon turned screw into the control mute and the mother against the control mute countered. So I was able to harness that very beautifully in the screw cane and was able to mount of both sides.

Interior diameter 10mm, outside diameter 20mm, height 7mm / height 8.5 mm including. Schmutzabstreifer. The ring has makes therefore an installation height of 7mm and a Schmutzabstreifer of 1,5mm 8,5mm. It concerns a hydraulic pole sealing. Ca. 5 Euro per piece (10/2007 = €16.37 including. Postage), that goes yet yet in comparison with 175 Euro for a new mute. Manufacturer of the Dinger is Fa. KACO, deliver needs not directly therefore one a dealer.

Type label KACO 73839099

To relate by

Swell RS forum

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #8 of 13 Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 7:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomadman View Post
Translated by Google?

Control damper repair change out of BMW-Bike-forum to: Navigation, search

That the Dinger leaky will hang from my viewpoint therewith together that dirt remains hanging on the piston pole and damages the sealing through it. I think would be a remedy well a kind of dust cuff buildup.

Heat the screw in the fork bridge unconditionally on 120 degrees C, (248 F) goes otherwise that not out.

Take:

You may see a muddy pool of watery grease after a thorough cleaning of the part. The wave sealings can be expelled with knocking of a rubber hammer or plastic hammer speedily and easily. There oil will look somewhat dirty.

Remove Segerringe (lock ring or snap ring) and disks and then expel the ring with some beherzten (behemoth, or heavy) blows with a plastic hammer on the piston pole on a side (goes somewhat heavily). New wave density ring imprint slips (have for that a suitable nut taken) with easy blows it very easily purely. Mount disk and Segerring (segerring = lock ring, or snap ring)

Alas yes I took a normal M8 key screw 2 mothers thereon turned screw into the control damper and the mother against the control damper countered. So I was able to harness that very beautifully in the screw cane and was able to mount of both sides.

As of 12/3/2013, a company called Metric Seals, Inc., in Westfield, Indiana (just north of Indianapolis) 317 896-3555, sells this exact part, although they want $27.10 per seal, and I'm pretty sure you need two. (one on each end) steering damper rebuild-qhwa10-20-7_8-5-green-item-s-10-x-20-x-7_8-5.jpgsteering damper rebuild-qhwa-green_1-opposite-view.jpg
Metric Seals Item #S 10 X 20 X 7/8.5
Description: QHWA10-20-7/8.5
Price$27.10
When I asked them why they charged so much for one seal, they offered to sell it to me for $19, but offered the following as the reason they raised the price so high:
"As these are KACO parts out of Germany, this company now requires a $5000.00 line in order to bring these parts in. They have as the euro exchange rate has gone up and the Europe increase in price structure gone up so has our price. The best that I can do on two pcs would be $19.00 ea." Go to the following link:
https://www.metricsealsinc.com/store...X%207/8.5.aspx

Interior diameter 10mm, outside diameter 20mm, height 7mm / height 8.5 mm including. Schmutzabstreifer. The ring has makes therefore an installation height of 7mm and a Schmutzabstreifer of 1,5mm 8,5mm. It concerns a hydraulic pole sealing. Ca. 5 Euro per piece (10/2007 = €16.37 including. Postage), that goes yet yet in comparison with 175 Euro for a new mute. Manufacturer of the Dinger (seal) is Fa. KACO, deliver needs not directly therefore one a dealer.

Type label KACO 73839099

To relate by

Swell RS forum

As of 12/3/2013, a company called Metric Seals, Inc., in Westfield, Indiana (just north of Indianapolis) 317 896-3555, sells this exact part, although they want $27.10 per seal, and I'm pretty sure you need two. (one on each end) Click image for larger version

Name:	QHWA10-20-7_8-5 Green   Item # S 10 X 20 X 7_8-5.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	45514Click image for larger version

Name:	QHWA Green_1 opposite view.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	45522
Metric Seals Item #S 10 X 20 X 7/8.5
Description: QHWA10-20-7/8.5
Price$27.10
When I asked them why they charged so much for one seal, they offered to sell it to me for $19, but offered the following as the reason they raised the price so high:
"As these are KACO parts out of Germany, this company now requires a $5000.00 line in order to bring these parts in. They have as the euro exchange rate has gone up and the Europe increase in price structure gone up so has our price. The best that I can do on two pcs would be $19.00 ea." Go to the following link:
https://www.metricsealsinc.com/store...X%207/8.5.aspx

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw k1200 steering damper seals.png
Views:	979
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	45530  
post #9 of 13 Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 7:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2 View Post
....but would like a visual reference if available......

http://www.illinoisbmwriders.com/ser...teering-damper

André Strydom
BMW MOA #140995

"And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."
Acts 4:12
post #10 of 13 Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 8:05 pm

www.illnoisbmwriders.com .Look in maintenance repair videos.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #11 of 13 Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 9:02 pm

I believe that link should be ==> www.illinoisbmwriders.com

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #12 of 13 Old Dec 4th, 2013, 8:52 am

+1

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #13 of 13 Old Dec 4th, 2013, 9:33 am

Now that I have done the clutch I have rest of the winter to concentrate in smaller challenges.

Last year I (stupid enough) replaced the steering damper with a new (BMW) one. The old one (failed sealings) has been lying in the shelf since then. Now after watching the excellent video and seen the pictures from attached German link I am ready to play/rebuild with the damper. Already found new seals!

One issue I did not find direct answer to (or at least did not understand): When I am rebuilding the damper and replacing the seals - how can the piston-halves be removed? From the video one could seen another end "coming through" after unscrewing it from the other half of the piston-rod. How about the other end?

If I am replacing both seals can I just with (rubber/plastic) hammer bang the rod/piston out (in one piece) of other (both?) ends? If not - How to get it "all out" on the table without breaking anything too much (like in the attached German link/picture)

Born to be wild so why not

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in