www.lttrunklatch.com/ - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Oct 8th, 2010, 1:25 pm Thread Starter

www.lttrunklatch.com/

anyone had trouble with company, 10 days and still no latch.

Bridwell Terhune
MSF Rider Coach #136275
Patriot Guard Rider Ky.#124388
GWRRA # 611040
BMWMOA # 102726
Shelbyville Ky.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 K1200LTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Oct 8th, 2010, 2:11 pm

Re: www.lttrunklatch.com/

You should be fine. This is kind of a side line operation for his main machine shop business. Sometimes he runs out of parts in stock and you'll need to wait for the next batch to be produced. Or he could be out of town, on vacation, etc.

I think everyone that has bought the parts has been happy with the quality once they receive them.

Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #3 of 26 Old Oct 8th, 2010, 3:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincook
You should be fine. This is kind of a side line operation for his main machine shop business. Sometimes he runs out of parts in stock and you'll need to wait for the next batch to be produced. Or he could be out of town, on vacation, etc.

I think everyone that has bought the parts has been happy with the quality once they receive them.

Kevin
+1

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #4 of 26 Old Oct 8th, 2010, 6:58 pm

+1

He is great. I have his latch replacement kit on Dolly. Give him time. Side businessess are difficult at best.

He is a NASA scientist you know.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #5 of 26 Old Oct 8th, 2010, 7:03 pm

His CNC machine broke down and cost him a few days having to send overseas for replacement part. I think he's got it fixed now. He is just behind schedule and frustrated as we are. I'm waiting for one too.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #6 of 26 Old Oct 8th, 2010, 8:35 pm

Patience, you will be pleased.

Eric von Laue

3Cyl Kawa ( a long time ago)
450 Yamaha Seca ( maybe it was a Maxim )
1100 Honda Magna
650 Honda XR ( to Guatemala and back)
1990 Honda PC800 ( Mountain Mama )
2000 BMW 1200LT ( Maxamillion )

Keep the rubber side down
post #7 of 26 Old Oct 8th, 2010, 11:21 pm

+1 on everyone...he was awesome and he saved me loosing my latch.

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #8 of 26 Old Oct 9th, 2010, 10:19 am

Just got mine in the mail today. Your's should be too far behind.
But my CD was scratched no way to play the install instrctions.
Any links online or can someone email me instructions?

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio

Last edited by mwnahas; Oct 9th, 2010 at 10:28 am.
post #9 of 26 Old Oct 9th, 2010, 10:51 am

Still running one of his very first ones he produced. Works flawlessly never worry about breakage. Simple to install and never had no stinking CD with instructions when I put mine on. It truly is very simple to accomplish....

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34° 14’ 12.63 N
119° 01’ 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
post #10 of 26 Old Oct 9th, 2010, 4:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountianMama
Patience, you will be pleased.
Something I don't have, but DID wait and replaced mine about a month ago, QUALITY piece of equipment and MUCH better than the stock trunklatch!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #11 of 26 Old Oct 9th, 2010, 5:57 pm

Evan sent a link to the PDF instructions on his site. I was able to get my latch installed today. thanks.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #12 of 26 Old Oct 10th, 2010, 5:39 am

I'm still having issues with the particular machine that is required to do the finish machining on the Replacement Trunk Latch Handle.

Bterhune, I'll gladly issue a refund if needed.

Best,

Evan Guy
post #13 of 26 Old Oct 11th, 2010, 7:28 am

4 years and 60,000 miles on his replacement latch.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #14 of 26 Old Oct 11th, 2010, 10:35 am

Wink Re: www.lttrunklatch.com/

Just finished installing this very high quality latch yesterday, and I have to say that it is way above the cheap cast latch that came on the Bike! And even though it may seem intimidating when you see the 20 pages of installation instructions, the reason is the amount of detail that Evan put into them! Just follow them step by step, and don't get ahead of yourself, and it will go smooth as silk!

Tk U Evan!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #15 of 26 Old Oct 11th, 2010, 5:39 pm

As I was changing my latch out Saturday, the old one fell apart in my hands. What a piece of junk compared to the Evan's replacement. It was a bit tedious putting it in, but only because I didn't know what I was doing. Took it slow, got it done. It even works! Great Design Evan.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #16 of 26 Old Oct 11th, 2010, 10:00 pm

Thanks guys! The LT Trunk Latch deal is a neat study in business. This is the first time I've done an "internet business" and the first time I've had PayPal connected to my business to TAKE IN money! Usually it flies OUT through PayPal.

A friend from another board suggested this product to me in 2005. He had just bought an LT and of course, his Latch Handle was broken. He suggested that I design/build a better part. I did. I designed/procured materials/programmed CNC/designed and built fixtures/produced 100 kits. He was going to sand (the curved surface that matches the trunk curvature), paint, package, and distribute these products. You might recall the name, "Millenhaus".

After TONS of work, all on my time, with my money (inventory/tooling), I sent these kits to him, 100 kits! That's confidence in an untried product! The very first one is on his bike. He's WAY overloaded with family and unreal work load in his profession. Suffice to say that the business deal fell apart. After a couple of years, I finally had the remaining inventory back in my shop. I got pissed and said, "I want EVERYONE out of my pockets!"....Webmasters charge $1000 bucks each, then they're too busy with other stuff to make changes/updates. NO MORE!

I got pissed and brought it ALL in-house. I spent $13 registering the LT domain name (the www. ) and I spent another $40 on downloading website software. Plus it took me several days of jacking with it to make it work. THE website, I did. I did the whole thing. Period. While I do sometimes get bogged down, I do EVERY SINGLE ASPECT of this business!

How has it worked? It has been an AMAZING little "recession fighter"....it's really neat when I check my email and see that YOU have sent me money via PayPal! THANKS!! This is my FIRST venture into internet marketing and distribution. It's NEAT! I work my ass off over here! Both with this business and my engineering profession. I'm not getting rich, it's not hugely profittable, but it's really NEAT how money trickles in.

Interestingly, the units I export. I've shipped a bunch of these to France! And a good number to Canada. Hmm. Of course the bulk is in US sales. Y'all have been GREAT to deal with! Thank you for the business!! It's a win-win deal!!

Next chapter, the Fix It Before It Breaks product.....to be continued....

Last edited by BilletsGalore; Oct 11th, 2010 at 10:33 pm.
post #17 of 26 Old Oct 12th, 2010, 6:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilletsGalore
Thanks guys! The LT Trunk Latch deal is a neat study in business. This is the first time I've done an "internet business" and the first time I've had PayPal connected to my business to TAKE IN money! Usually it flies OUT through PayPal.

A friend from another board suggested this product to me in 2005. He had just bought an LT and of course, his Latch Handle was broken. He suggested that I design/build a better part. I did. I designed/procured materials/programmed CNC/designed and built fixtures/produced 100 kits. He was going to sand (the curved surface that matches the trunk curvature), paint, package, and distribute these products. You might recall the name, "Millenhaus".

After TONS of work, all on my time, with my money (inventory/tooling), I sent these kits to him, 100 kits! That's confidence in an untried product! The very first one is on his bike. He's WAY overloaded with family and unreal work load in his profession. Suffice to say that the business deal fell apart. After a couple of years, I finally had the remaining inventory back in my shop. I got pissed and said, "I want EVERYONE out of my pockets!"....Webmasters charge $1000 bucks each, then they're too busy with other stuff to make changes/updates. NO MORE!

I got pissed and brought it ALL in-house. I spent $13 registering the LT domain name (the www. ) and I spent another $40 on downloading website software. Plus it took me several days of jacking with it to make it work. THE website, I did. I did the whole thing. Period. While I do sometimes get bogged down, I do EVERY SINGLE ASPECT of this business!

How has it worked? It has been an AMAZING little "recession fighter"....it's really neat when I check my email and see that YOU have sent me money via PayPal! THANKS!! This is my FIRST venture into internet marketing and distribution. It's NEAT! I work my ass off over here! Both with this business and my engineering profession. I'm not getting rich, it's not hugely profittable, but it's really NEAT how money trickles in.

Interestingly, the units I export. I've shipped a bunch of these to France! And a good number to Canada. Hmm. Of course the bulk is in US sales. Y'all have been GREAT to deal with! Thank you for the business!! It's a win-win deal!!

Amen and Amen!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #18 of 26 Old Oct 18th, 2010, 9:05 am

Well, this isn't going well! TWO WEEKS ago, I sent the drive to Magna Products, in New York. I went with them because they said turn-around was 1-2 days. After I I sent it, they said 2-3 days. Well, it took them 4 days, the SAME time quoted by Siemens, the manufacturer of the CNC controller. Magna $200 MORE than Siemens. But I sent it to them because they said 1-2 days. Ha!

So I got the drive back last Thursday. It DOES NOT WORK!! And I've swapped it out with the Y-axis drive and the problem moved with the drive. That means that the problem IS with the drive. Period. The owner of the company has been away until this morning. I'm about to call.

So, I'm at least 1 1/2 weeks from shipping your products. I'm sorry! But this is out of my control. I've PAID the money, $1,400, so far! I'll GLADLY issue refunds to any of the 6 people who have outstanding orders! I WILL get this resolved, please don't lose faith. If you want a refund, no problem. You can re-order when I've got units to ship. Or you can continue to be patient, your patience will be rewarded!

Thanks,
Evan Guy
post #19 of 26 Old Oct 21st, 2010, 11:23 am

After giving me the run around, yada, yada, yada, Magna tested the drive and found it to be defective. DUH!! Dummies. They're shipping it today, allegedly.

SO, we ought to be cooking soon! Thank you for your continued patience!
post #20 of 26 Old Oct 21st, 2010, 5:30 pm
cws

Garage

Evan, its that sort of vendor feedback, supported by satisfied customers, that we all look for when seeking bits and bobs for our beloved bikes....
Rest assured if mine ever breaks, I'll know where to come to.... (just hope I dont HAVE to..)
cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #21 of 26 Old Oct 24th, 2010, 11:40 am

Quote:

Interestingly, the units I export. I've shipped a bunch of these to France! And a good number to Canada. ...

...and a smaller number (30 units) to Finland and Germany as well...In fact it is hard to find an LT without the Fix-It-Before-It-breaks -kit in this country nowadays.

regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #22 of 26 Old Oct 26th, 2010, 7:51 am

That was fun, Ari! Great working with you guys!

OK, the servo drive is back and installed in the machine! The machine runs! Knock on wood. I'm working to get the finish machining done this week and should have some units painted late this week!

Thanks for your continued patience! It's happening over here!

Best,
Evan Guy
post #23 of 26 Old Nov 1st, 2010, 4:23 pm

43 units have had final machining done, 15 have been through vibratory deburring. Sanding the curved surface is happening right now (lots of work).....painting tomorrow and into the future.....about to start shipping! Shipped in the order of purchase date....

I'll get this whole back-order mess cleaned up this week! It's on the way! Thanks for your patience, I appreciate it!

Best,
Evan Guy
post #24 of 26 Old Nov 1st, 2010, 7:18 pm

Quote:
You got my attention...!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #25 of 26 Old Nov 1st, 2010, 10:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have one of the fix-it-before-it-breaks-kits. It's a great piece of engineering. If you own an LT and plan on keeping it, order one. You'll be very pleased.
post #26 of 26 Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 10:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey
I have one of the fix-it-before-it-breaks-kits. It's a great piece of engineering. If you own an LT and plan on keeping it, order one. You'll be very pleased.
Alas the web site says "Out of stock"...
I'll try again soon.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in