I got it up. Now what? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Oct 7th, 2010, 4:52 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
I got it up. Now what?

My '03. On its center stand.

Yeah, so I read through this thread and was finally able to get the bike up-- after getting the wife to help me lift it off the bicycle it "leaned" against my first attempt. It didn't come as easy for me as it did for others. Whatever. (Technically it's not a tip if it doesn't touch the ground or floor, right??)

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42520

Now, the first and last time I attempted to get this petite 2-wheeler off the stand it ended up as a misplaced lawn ornament. So my basic question is this: should I be on or off the bike when I get it back on its two wheels? I really don't need a hyperventilating wife again.

Now I'm going to go figure out how to pull the front wheel so I can get the tire replaced.

Stu

MOA #210140
Current
2016 BMW R1200RTP

Once Upon a Time
2003 BMW K1200LTC
1995 Honda Magna VF750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Oct 7th, 2010, 5:31 pm

Re: I got it up. Now what?

I think the owner's manual shows being off the bike when getting it off the centerstand. Not a good idea in my opinion. Get on and rock it forward. Be sure she's in neutral or that you are squeezing the clutch. That'll cause a dirt nap from the sudden stop.

Removing the front wheel isn't too bad. You have to remove the front fender, 4 bolts. Loosen the calipers and rock them back and forth on the rotors to push the pistons back, then hang them on pieces of wire or cut coat hangers. Loosen, but don't remove the pinch bolts from the fork tubes. Loosen and remove the axle bolt, then pull the axle out the other side. Note the location of the grease cup and spacer.

When putting it all back together, the torque values are:

Pinch bolts - 21Nm
Axle - 30Nm
Caliper mounting bolts - 40Nm

Bolt the wheel into the forks, but don't tighten the pinch bolts yet. Mount the calipers and squeeze the lever to reset the pads. Press down on the forks several times, then tighten the pinch bolts. Reinstall the fender and you're all set.

Hope this helps.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #3 of 8 Old Oct 7th, 2010, 5:41 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

As fate would have it, my daughter called to be picked up and insisted I take the bike. Getting it off the stand was a cinch. Heck, getting it back on the stand just now wasn't too bad, either, using my left foot.

Thanks for the info on removing and installing the wheel, particularly the torque specs. It all looks really straight-forward.

Stu

MOA #210140
Current
2016 BMW R1200RTP

Once Upon a Time
2003 BMW K1200LTC
1995 Honda Magna VF750

post #4 of 8 Old Oct 7th, 2010, 6:54 pm

So were you sittin' on it or standin' beside it when she came off the stand? I would NEVER take the bike off the centerstand standing beside it. Just a couple degrees too much list toward the side you're standing on and you'd be flat as a pancake! Nope! Not me! Ill sit on the seat and make funny little rude motions toward the "tank" until she pops forward off the stand. At leas if disaster strikes you can get out of the way.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by wArt
As fate would have it, my daughter called to be picked up and insisted I take the bike. Getting it off the stand was a cinch. Heck, getting it back on the stand just now wasn't too bad, either, using my left foot.

Thanks for the info on removing and installing the wheel, particularly the torque specs. It all looks really straight-forward.

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #5 of 8 Old Oct 7th, 2010, 11:40 pm

Hi Stu,

Practice on getting the bike up on the stand will get you to a point that you will find it easy. I cannot reach the ground to get mine off the center stand if I have rear shock pre-load cranked in. I always put the side stand down, move my right hip against the bike and rock it forward keeping it leaning slightly toward me. Then if it decides to come over further, you can catch it with the side stand.

When replacing the front axle, make sure it slides freely from side to side. You should not have to force it into the left fork.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #6 of 8 Old Oct 8th, 2010, 7:45 am

I always got off the stand while on the bike. My leg muscles are stronger than my arm muscles.
Jim

Jim in Dublin, OH

2005 - LT Ocean Blue (Catuffalo - Part Cat / Part Buffalo)
2002 - Moto Guzzi Cal Spec Sport
2000 - Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
post #7 of 8 Old Oct 8th, 2010, 7:57 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
So were you sittin' on it or standin' beside it when she came off the stand?
On it. Just rocked it and it came right off. Yeah, the day I first got the bike I was under some hallucinogen that I should be next to it. What was I thinking??

Stu

MOA #210140
Current
2016 BMW R1200RTP

Once Upon a Time
2003 BMW K1200LTC
1995 Honda Magna VF750
post #8 of 8 Old Oct 8th, 2010, 2:07 pm

I was at Lone Star BMW the other day before they opened and I watched in admiration (OK, it was awe) while the guys rolled the new bikes outside for display. They would walk up to the side of each bike (including a couple of LT's), smoothly push them forward off the center stand, and roll them out the door. No stopping and thinking, no wobbling, no drama of any kind. It looked like they were pushing 10-speed bikes around.

It looked almost as if they did it every day.

I have never had the courage or skill to do that with the FJR, much less the LT. I always straddle them first. I have the advantage of long legs so it's pretty easy just to rock them forward.

Some day I may enlist some spotters and see if I can learn to do it from the side. I think it would be cool to be that adept with the bike.

---
Jim E
99 LT
07 FJR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in