At least I'm keeping it even - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Oct 6th, 2010, 10:40 pm Thread Starter

At least I'm keeping it even

In the last week or so I posted a query that if the bike didn't touch ALL the way down was it still considered a drop. Some of you thought I was trying to brag about it not falling; which simply was not the case. So to ease any troubled minds out there I'll pass along my findings from a recon trip to the hotel parking garage this evening.

Staying at a somewhat nice hotel north of Miami for a 10 day conference. The hotel has a parking garage with large openings on all sides. The wind has been howling ever since I arrived on Monday afternoon and has not let up. I parked the LT on the center stand with the front wheel locked to the full right position and the bike was parked on a level surface of the garage. This evening I went to visit Emil in the garage and make sure everything was alright and when I turned the corner, there he was, laying down taking a nap on his right side. I had a couple of business parters with me and they helped me get him back on his wheels. The only casualty was the other J-peg. I didn't retract them and it made contact with the ground and broke the bolt off clean flush with the aluminum tip over plate. So now I've managed to bend/break both J-pegs in just two weeks. Danged thing about it is that just before our New England trip I bought a new hardware kit for the bike and replaced all the mounting bolts. They lasted two whole weeks. I've not been overly impressed with the J-peg and will most likely replace them with a set of Mick-O-pegs this winter. Mind you, I'm not blaming J-peg for the failure of the bolts, it's all been my own blunders, but they don't "fit" me right and I have found them to be fairly high maintenance for what they are.

So now the bike is in first gear, with the driveline slack taken out, and resting on the side stand where I should have left it anyway. If I had any doubt that my tip over of two weeks ago was official, this one can be ruled on without review from the officials. So that's now three (3) tip overs for me; 2 while mounted, 1 while away from the bike. It sure is a great bike, but I'm not too crazy about it being lazy. BTW, there was no visible damage to the bike other than the broken J-peg. I'm thankful for that.

Greg

"Loud lives save pipes"

00 K1200LT (Emil) 94,840 trouble free miles. Gone, but not forgotten
02 R1150RT (Artie) 109,000 miles. Favorite bike. With me to the end.
10 K1300GT (The Phantom) 10,110 miles. Like flying a T-38 on 2 wheels. Gone.
12 K1600GTL (Johnny 5) 3,500. A great compromise between the LT and GT

A gaggle of Japanese bikes, then I woke up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2010, 5:14 am

Re: At least I'm keeping it even

There are very few out there that ride much at all that have not dropped one or had one blow over. Just think of the damage that will be done to the new K1600GTL which has zero tip over protection.

Ron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #3 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2010, 6:18 am

So you are saying that the wind blew it over while it was on the center stand?? Wow, it seems so stable on that stand. That shocks me. That wind was really howling.

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #4 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2010, 9:52 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthogey
So you are saying that the wind blew it over while it was on the center stand?? Wow, it seems so stable on that stand. That shocks me. That wind was really howling.
I have to surmise the wind blew it over. It was on the center stand and the wind was gale force for three days. Who knows how strong the wind actually was as it was funneled through the somewhat open parking garage. Just put a V-Stream windscreen on the bike and it makes a great sail I guess. For various reasons I'll be replacing it with the lower stock screen when I get back home.

Greg

"Loud lives save pipes"

post #5 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2010, 12:04 pm

There was an article on BMW Owners News a few months back that dealt with the side stand vs. center stand stability in wind.

His take was the larger contact triangle on the side stand along with the weight transfer to the left side was far more stable than the smaller triangel of the center stand / rear wheel and the center stand provided a fulcrum that the bike could rock front to back on in high winds - possible walking its way off the stand.

2000 K1200LT - 94,000 mi. (49,000 mine since July 4th weekend, 2009)
BMW MOA 151654
post #6 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2010, 1:00 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoolbaugh
There was an article on BMW Owners News a few months back that dealt with the side stand vs. center stand stability in wind.

His take was the larger contact triangle on the side stand along with the weight transfer to the left side was far more stable than the smaller triangel of the center stand / rear wheel and the center stand provided a fulcrum that the bike could rock front to back on in high winds - possible walking its way off the stand.
I guess after extensive field research and ops testing I would now have to agree with that.

Greg

"Loud lives save pipes"

post #7 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2010, 1:57 pm

be glad you don't have the "XL" version of the j-pegs...you'd have two matching vent holes in your lower fairings that you could either spend a couple hundred to replace or a few hours, lots of bondo, and plenty of paint to repair.

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #8 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2010, 2:31 pm

I think you are in good company. I have had 2 drops and one blow over. My blow over was due to the side sectional area of the bike. I was backing out of a parking space between 2 pickups and as soon as the top case cleared the back of the upwind pickup down we went!

So nice you weren't parked next to a group of Harley riding bikers when it went over!

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushin9s
In the last week or so I posted a query that if the bike didn't touch ALL the way down was it still considered a drop. Some of you thought I was trying to brag about it not falling; which simply was not the case. So to ease any troubled minds out there I'll pass along my findings from a recon trip to the hotel parking garage this evening.

Staying at a somewhat nice hotel north of Miami for a 10 day conference. The hotel has a parking garage with large openings on all sides. The wind has been howling ever since I arrived on Monday afternoon and has not let up. I parked the LT on the center stand with the front wheel locked to the full right position and the bike was parked on a level surface of the garage. This evening I went to visit Emil in the garage and make sure everything was alright and when I turned the corner, there he was, laying down taking a nap on his right side. I had a couple of business parters with me and they helped me get him back on his wheels. The only casualty was the other J-peg. I didn't retract them and it made contact with the ground and broke the bolt off clean flush with the aluminum tip over plate. So now I've managed to bend/break both J-pegs in just two weeks. Danged thing about it is that just before our New England trip I bought a new hardware kit for the bike and replaced all the mounting bolts. They lasted two whole weeks. I've not been overly impressed with the J-peg and will most likely replace them with a set of Mick-O-pegs this winter. Mind you, I'm not blaming J-peg for the failure of the bolts, it's all been my own blunders, but they don't "fit" me right and I have found them to be fairly high maintenance for what they are.

So now the bike is in first gear, with the driveline slack taken out, and resting on the side stand where I should have left it anyway. If I had any doubt that my tip over of two weeks ago was official, this one can be ruled on without review from the officials. So that's now three (3) tip overs for me; 2 while mounted, 1 while away from the bike. It sure is a great bike, but I'm not too crazy about it being lazy. BTW, there was no visible damage to the bike other than the broken J-peg. I'm thankful for that.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #9 of 12 Old Oct 8th, 2010, 8:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
be glad you don't have the "XL" version of the j-pegs...you'd have two matching vent holes in your lower fairings that you could either spend a couple hundred to replace or a few hours, lots of bondo, and plenty of paint to repair.

Ari (Farkle genius) has posted his solution to the "vent holes". I can't find his post right now, but in it he links to a great photo "how to" add a fix to prevent the holes.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #10 of 12 Old Oct 8th, 2010, 9:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennM86
Ari (Farkle genius) has posted his solution to the "vent holes". I can't find his post right now, but in it he links to a great photo "how to" add a fix to prevent the holes.

I've posted my fix as well, though it's a little more expensive and less politically correct.

I strap a midget to each side of my lower fairings.

Doesn't prevent tip-overs, but keeps the damage to a minimum.

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #11 of 12 Old Oct 8th, 2010, 9:50 am

Talking Re: At least I'm keeping it even

Pete,

I can almost see irony in your solution.

Using "little people" (politically correct) to protect your moto...a moto that vertically challenged people can't ride effectively/safely/comfortably.

It's almost like an ironic double entendre.

But I digress...

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #12 of 12 Old Oct 8th, 2010, 11:10 pm Thread Starter

After the finish of our conference for this week I went to the parking garage and checked the bike over. I have found damage on the aft of the trunk. It appears upon further investigation that some jamokee may have hit the LT and knocked it over. I was parked in an end stall and I could envision some clown tearing through the parking garage and seeing what appears to be an empty stall and rolling in on the parking spot only to have a bike sitting there instead. Doesn't look like a real hard hit, but the paint is scuffed and the rear of the top case looks to be a slight bit deformed. Will give it a thorough looking over tomorrow when I get it out and visit the two dealers here in Miami. Then Sunday, ol' Emil and I will head off to Key West so we can check that box off too.

Greg

"Loud lives save pipes"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in