post #1 of 11 Old Oct 6th, 2010, 3:54 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up 2001 oil filter change

What's the best way to change oil in k1200lt? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 6th, 2010, 4:55 pm

Garage
Re: 2001 oil filter change

there is no best way, either you remove the sump plug and drain oil or remove the three filter cover bolts which gives you access to the filter as well. get hold of a service manual before you start ripping into it you will need the torque settings

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 6th, 2010, 6:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by locklair
What's the best way to change oil in k1200lt? Thanks
Not knowing what year your bike is, the changing of the engine oil is pretty much the same thru the years. On our 'Home' page here, left column, click on the "Feaured Articles" and scroll down to the 6th one. It'll have pictures too. Good luck.

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 6th, 2010, 7:00 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Not knowing what year your bike is,
You are loosing it Dick, the year was in the subject line... .

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 6th, 2010, 7:33 pm

Slide a pan that will hold a gallon under the drain plug.

Remove the drain plug being careful to not burn yourself with hot oil.

When it stops draining, scoot the pan under the oil filter access door, remove the 3 allen head screws and remove the cover, careful, some more hot oil there.

Spin out the old oil filter, make sure the gasket came out, spin in the new filter after oiling the gasket. Be a real good idea to have a filter wrench for this application.

Re-install the cover using a new o-ring, only goes on one way, be sure the o-ring stays put, evenly tighten the bolts snugly. Do NOT over tighten them and strip them out or wring one off.

Reinstall the drain plug using a new seal ring. O-ring for the cover and seal ring (along with a couple you don't need) should come with the filter, if a BMW one.

Refill with oil, don't be a cheap skate, use the good stuff, check for leaks, properly dispose of the old oil and filter, don't pour it down a storm drain and go for a ride.

A 1 gallon jug like what oil and antifreeze come in, make good drain pans, just cut the side out of it. Just don't cut the hole too big, it'll make it weak and prone to collapsing.

Some folks recommend not removing the drain plug and draining through the filter cover, it works but you don't get all the oil and it will tend to gush out and make a mess.

Again, get a filter wrench, without it will be a difficult job, the right wrench makes it easy.

B D R
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 6th, 2010, 8:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny
Some folks recommend not removing the drain plug and draining through the filter cover, it works but you don't get all the oil and it will tend to gush out and make a mess.
At the ccr maint demo we did the oil drain by removing the filter cover plate, and just for the fun of it we undid the oil drain plug and got another teaspoon out. Not much difference at all. The trick I learned about keeping it neat with the oil filter cover is to loosen the two forward bolts almost all the way and then you can control the flow of oil with the third bolt in the rear and it even keeps your hand out of the way. Good stuff

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #7 of 11 Old Oct 6th, 2010, 8:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
You are loosing it Dick, the year was in the subject line... .
Boy, you're right, John. I gotta git me some new tri-focals!!!
post #8 of 11 Old Oct 6th, 2010, 10:04 pm

Wink Re: 2001 oil filter change

First go for a ride to warm up the oil.
After burning myself a couple of times either on the exhaust or on the hot engine, I go inside and have a beer while things cool off a bit. Piece of advice: Don't forget to wipe feet on the "welcome" mat so the missus won't ream you a new one for dragging garage-born hazardous material inside the house.
After a couple of brewskis is it time to go back out and tackle the afore-mentioned oil change. A few minutes into trying to get my sausage-like fingers to fit under the greasy center stand I realize that I forgot to put down a mat to save my knees and I tear a hole in my new jeans. (Note to self: change into old pants before ANY maintenance).
Back on the ground again, but with a floor mat this time, I manage to unscrew the drain plug... just a tad too much and the still hot black tar is now pouring all over my hand, making its way to the inside of my sleeve. My reaction caused me to bang my head on the foot peg as I tried to move away from the hot lava. Ouch! Paper towels to the rescue
Not discouraged, I move the drain pan under the engine almost in time to collect a sizable amount of oil. Time to remove the filter plate... and to realize that there is still quite a bit of liquid dinosaur left as I instantly let half of it escape onto the garage floor. No worries, that's what paper towels are for, right?
Once the plate is out I have to call Larry who borrowed the filter wrench 6 months ago... He says he is on his way. So time for a pee break an another brew! Dang, forgot again to wipe my dirty paws on the mat and the wife gives me the evil eye.
Larry shows up with the wrench. The tech session is now back in full swing. The filter is removed without too much of a commotion but one of the cover screws fell in the drain pan. To retrieve it I guess I should have used the hand with the sleeve already soiled during the drain plug removal...Oh well, I remind myself that I am saving money by not going to the dealer. Right?
New filter in, a bit of clean oil on the new o-ring and the cover goes back on. The drain plug is also back on.
Did someone mention that it is a good idea to remove the filler cap before draining the oil? The darn thing is so tight that Larry and I can't get it loose! Good grief! The engine is empty of oil and we cannot refill it! Gasp!
Time for a brewski break, except that the wife locked us out. Something about tracks in the kitchen and living room???
Working together we grabbed 2 pairs of pliers and managed to get the oil filler cap off, ripping a portion of the plastic off. It'll look ugly until I get a new one, but Hey, I am saving money by doing the work myself. I break out the funny looking funnel with the flexible hose, tie it up to the side of the bike and proceed with opening the first can of fresh oil.
The process is veeeeryyyy sloooow, and after a while it is time for the 2nd can of oil. It would have been fine except that Larry walked to close to the bike and knocked the funnel off and we now have fresh oil joining the black oil on the garage floor. Good thing I bought Mobil 1 and not the expensive BMW oil from the dealership (what a rip-off!).
In the end we used almost 5 quarts of Mobil 1 ('cause of the spill). Once the filler cap is back on we clean up the mess under the bike (that's what paper towels are for!).
The bike fires up without too much of an argument and we let it warm up, checking for leaks. So far... so good!
All in all it took less than 4 hours, 5 quarts of oil (thanks to Larry), a new filter and o-ring, a filler cap, 3 rolls of paper towels (real life savers), 5 beers, a new "Welcome" mat, a new pair of jeans and a new shirt! Not bad for a Saturday morning!
Now I can enjoy the rest of the day and the money saved from the greedy dealer!
The wife said something about me taking a long ride and no need to hurry back! She's a keeper!

That's how I change my oil. You?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #9 of 11 Old Oct 6th, 2010, 10:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
All in all it took less than 4 hours, 5 quarts of oil (thanks to Larry), a new filter and o-ring, a filler cap, 3 rolls of paper towels (real life savers), 5 beers, a new "Welcome" mat, a new pair of jeans and a new shirt! Not bad for a Saturday morning! Now I can enjoy the rest of the day and the money saved from the greedy dealer!

Now, that is the funniest story I've heard in a long time...it absolutely has to be true!! Thanks for sharing...

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #10 of 11 Old Oct 6th, 2010, 10:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg

That's how I change my oil. You?

Wow! And I thought I was the only one who prevented wasted time and incessant irritation through careful and well thought out pre-planning.

Greg

"Loud lives save pipes"

00 K1200LT (Emil) 94,840 trouble free miles. Gone, but not forgotten
02 R1150RT (Artie) 109,000 miles. Favorite bike. With me to the end.
10 K1300GT (The Phantom) 10,110 miles. Like flying a T-38 on 2 wheels. Gone.
12 K1600GTL (Johnny 5) 3,500. A great compromise between the LT and GT

A gaggle of Japanese bikes, then I woke up.
post #11 of 11 Old Oct 6th, 2010, 10:37 pm

Open fill cap....
Lay bike on side with fill cap pointed down....
use jack to maximize the angle to get all the oil out......
pick bike back up.....
fill oil.....don't worry about the filter!

THAT'S the wrong way.......

THIS is the right way......

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in