Heated grips out - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Oct 6th, 2010, 2:00 pm Thread Starter

Heated grips out

Did a search and an advanced search, but didn't find anything - odd. Heated grips quit working, fuse is OK, so using Clymers, going to check the plugs. Before I start tearing everything apart, does anyone know off the top of their head, where that is? Looks to be at the handle bar mount, but thought I'd check first. Thanks,
Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Oct 6th, 2010, 2:30 pm

Re: Heated grips out

I would check the switch first could be the contacts are screwed up. Also before that I would check to see if you have power to the switch. Undoing the covers on the handle bar's is pretty straight forward.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #3 of 6 Old Oct 6th, 2010, 5:36 pm Thread Starter

Sorry, I don't think I was very clear. I don't use the heated grips very often, so really don't know when they went out. I'm sort of guessing that it's me, that I didn't plug something back in correctly after I replaced my clutch.
Looking in the Clymers, there's clearly a snap connection in line, and it appears, from the manual, that it's close to the handle bar attachment. I got to looking up under the nose cone, and can see several connections. I'm just wondering if one of those is what I see in the Clymers.
Coincidentally, I also lost the heated grips on the Harley, and can't fix them either. Maybe it's time for a 'vette? Just not in the mood right now to tear her apart, so I'll just wait 'till tomorrow. If that doesn't work, bigger gloves!!!

post #4 of 6 Old Oct 6th, 2010, 7:12 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

They are right up under the handle bar center cover. You most likely did not undo them for the clutch job - no need to.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 6 Old Oct 6th, 2010, 7:41 pm Thread Starter

Well the good news is that a link popped up below this one, and I followed that. It explains what colored wires to look at and where. Wonder why that didn't come up in my search. Hmmm.
Thanks guys. I'll start tracing in the morning.
Frank
post #6 of 6 Old Oct 6th, 2010, 7:44 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Yeah I noticed that the search comes up empty but as soon as you post it finds the right link. Must be different algorithms

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in